Posted in NYC | pictures on October 19, 2004

A big thanks to the weather gods for supplying perfect canoeing weather on Saturday. And a bigger thanks to the Gowanus Dredgers for supplying the opportunity.

The Gowanus Canal, from a Canoe

'The Gowanus Canal extends through the neighborhoods of Carroll Gardens, Park Slope and Red Hook. Built in the 19th century to accommodate barge traffic, the canal’s banks still reflect its industrial heritage.'

The Gowanus Canal, from a Canoe

'Nearby buildings date back to the Revolutionary War, but today much of the canal is lined with concrete plants, warehouses, and parking lots that limit access to the water’s edge.'

The Gowanus Canal, from a Canoe

'Very few remaining industries still use the canal for barge traffic. Today, as neighborhoods around the canal grow, residents are looking at the infamous waterway in a new light.'

The Gowanus Canal, from a Canoe

'Since the mid-1800s, the Gowanus Canal has been heavily polluted. In the late 20th century, poor environmental conditions were exacerbated when the propeller in the flushing tunnel broke, leaving the canal's water essentially stagnant.'

The Gowanus Canal, from a Canoe

In 1999, after years of advocacy by local officials and residents, the tunnel was repaired and 2,000 tons of contaminated sediments were dredged from the bottom of the canal. These efforts led to immediate water quality improvements and sparked, perhaps for the first time in 50 years, interest in recreational access.

The Gowanus Canal, from a Canoe

The Gowanus Dredgers Canoe Club is a volunteer organization that is dedicated to providing waterfront access and education to the public. We are located on the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn, New York and run programs on the shorelines of Gowanus, Red Hook and DUMBO.

Rock on! I had fun exploring the canal with you.

Posted by Lawrence | October 19, 2004 2:46 PM

Hey Brooklynvegan, how do we get in on canoe action? I just moved here and have, so far, only kayaked on the Hudson?

Posted by Elayne | October 20, 2004 11:02 AM

The pictures turned out great. I've only put up a few of the ones I took when I wasn't steering, which you can view through my link (http://www.sauna.org/loyly/photo/canal/ just in case something gets washed up.)

Once I have more than three minutes to spare, I'll see if I can put more up with more text.

Nice to have met you and thanks for bringing this event to my attention.

Posted by gak | October 20, 2004 11:15 AM

My grandpa was born and raised in the Slope, and he says he used to swim in the Canal as a boy. One time he felt something brushing against his leg. It was a rope, which he pulled and pulled, only to find the other end attached to a dead goat! I'll share these photos with him, I'm sure he will think the canoeing is as funny as the time I told him about the Gowanas Yacht Club.

Posted by tricia | October 20, 2004 5:56 PM

niiice

Posted by 990000 | October 29, 2004 11:31 AM

I am impressed with this page...setup really nice. Doesn't take forever to load pics, like mine... Very impressive.. http://mask.ziarc.com

Posted by Sam. K | January 31, 2006 5:31 PM

Nice site. Hope yoy visit http://buy-nolvadex.gottaoh.com soon. You are welcom!!!

Posted by Pieter Bas | February 13, 2006 3:57 PM

ezmlairo wxrd gzdw urahnvw jndhgsq lira mjxtkoa

Posted by muokblc mzofbk | October 25, 2006 5:23 PM

ezmlairo wxrd gzdw urahnvw jndhgsq lira mjxtkoa

Posted by muokblc mzofbk | October 25, 2006 5:24 PM

ezmlairo wxrd gzdw urahnvw jndhgsq lira mjxtkoa

Posted by muokblc mzofbk | October 25, 2006 5:25 PM

Rock on! I had fun exploring the canal with you.

Posted by tiffany Jewelry | November 27, 2008 2:33 AM

This is a great post. Thank you for taking the time to write it!

Posted by Respectable Reviews | October 3, 2009 5:28 PM

Cool pix!!! Thanks for posting them. My late Grandfather was born in a 3 story walkup at #10 Union street which has since been torn down. He used to tell me stories about swimming with his friends and people fishing in the Gowanus back in the late teens and early 20s

Posted by Bob Tebo | October 26, 2009 1:28 PM

Where do you lunch from to get in the canal?

Posted by bill tebo | November 20, 2009 3:41 PM

I received my first personal loans when I was 20 and it supported my relatives very much. Nevertheless, I need the auto loan once more time.

Posted by SOFIADELACRUZ | February 26, 2010 9:10 PM

I would love to get a canoe tour of the Gowanus next time I am in NYC. Our son lives in Brooklyn(Williamsburg), and we visit Prospect Park, not far.
How do I get to cntact someone who can give us a tour?
Thanks, great to see interest in cleaning up the canal. Reminds me of San Antonio and what they have done there. Everyone in Brooklyn, and the world, would benefit.
Thanks,
Tommy Mangold

Posted by tommy | April 23, 2010 1:38 PM

Nearby buildings date back to the Revolutionary War,but today much of the canal is lined with concrete plants,warehouses, and parking lots that limit access to the water’s edge which is better to share out in the blog also there are better option to be taken care of.

Posted by vessel sinks | October 26, 2010 2:01 AM

Nearby buildings date back to the Revolutionary War, but today much of the canal is lined with concrete plants, warehouses and parking lots that limit access to the water’s edge.' which is best to share out in the blog.

Posted by Team building | November 10, 2010 4:55 AM

Do you know that it's correct time to get the loan, which will make you dreams real.

Posted by loan | November 18, 2011 4:03 AM

Hey, I really like the content on this site and its design. I was wondering if you’d be interested in getting paid for some of them or just article work.

Posted by i screwed the taxpayer | June 10, 2013 3:31 AM

It's really incredible and interesting. I enjoy reading this post and i would like to read another one this author. It might be really gorgeous.

Posted by business research proposals | July 18, 2013 12:46 PM

It's very interesting topic and it is really cool, that author decide to write on this theme. I enjoy reading this post and i will read another one this author with great pleasure. The author is really talented person.

Posted by general surgery residency personal statement | July 28, 2013 2:48 AM

I am full of emotions after reading this post. I really like it and it is good, that author decided to write on this topic. I would like to read his another posts. They might be really interesting.

Posted by ma thesis | August 28, 2013 12:19 PM

I really like this post, i enjoy every minute reading it. It's cool, that author decided to write on this theme. I would like to read another post this author with great pleasure. It might be really interesting.

Posted by writing a medical case study | September 22, 2013 10:56 AM

It`s so amazing!!! I really like this post. It is very interesting topic and the author is really clever and broadminded person. I would like to read another post this author with great pleasure.

Posted by amazing infographics | November 23, 2013 3:48 PM

Posted by amazing infographics | November 23, 2013 3:48 PM

Awesome post! He was very interested in me! The author is quite opened theme. read all

Posted by law school personal statement help | November 23, 2013 4:57 PM

Guys- this seems really cool. But, you do not want to be in that canal. Its a superfund site that is extremely polluted.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2013 5:22 PM

So hold further comment
The author really knows how to write well.
I recommend anyone and everyone!

Posted by thematic analysis qualitative data | December 13, 2013 7:09 PM

Rock on! I had fun exploring the canal with you.

Posted by Only Bill Is Real | December 13, 2013 7:54 PM

It's just amazing. Post is so well written that I can not believe it. The author is very smart and experienced man. I advise everyone to visit this site.

Posted by scholarship application letter | December 16, 2013 8:12 PM

I really like this post, i enjoy every minute reading More such articles can learn many useful things. I would like to read another post this author with great pleasure.
Surprisingly, though) This post has made people capable razbiratsya in such subtle things! great post regarding! Thanks so much

Posted by essay grammar checker | December 20, 2013 6:10 PM