Posted in music | pictures on June 30, 2005

David Byrne, The Tosca Strings, and McCullough Sons of Thunder played Central Park Summerstage in NYC on Wednesday June 29th, 2005. Here are the photos.

David Byrne @ Summerstage

Watching David play outside in the pouring rain just added to the awesome experience, especially since at least two his songs mentioned rain, and he joked that the rain comes from New Jersey.

David Byrne @ Summerstage

People say Clap Your Hands Say Yeah sound like Talking Heads. I decided at times during David's set that Alec Ounsworth does sound like him sometimes, but that David does a much better Talking Heads. He proved that during his renditions of "Psycho Killer," "Road to Nowhere," "What a Day," "Life During Wartime," "This Must be the Place (Naive Melody)." The few minutes that "Naive Melody" live lasted were some of my favorite minutes since being alive. Lots of "hi yo" screaming. (better than last time I saw him play it).

David also sounds like a lot of other things including an amazing opera singer. He also did a Jimi Hendrix cover, played the song he wrote with Thievery Corporation (on their album), and did some stuff off soundtracks. (someone feel free to post the set list or link to a live recording).

David Byrne @ Summerstage

I was pumped during the 30 minute god-praising illness-healing set of shout band McCullough Sons of Thunder from Harlem that followed David's 90 minute set. Part of my excitement was in imagining how David was going to integrate his encore with the eccentric horn players. I yelled "fuck you" when the stereotypical Summerstage announcer guy came on after the last McCulllough song and thanked us for coming. Apparently I wasn't the only one let down. The Phantasy Tour message board is full of disgruntled concert goers who claim that McCullough was supposed to be the first opener, but were thrown on last because they got rained out earlier. They played right up to Summerstage's 10:00 curfew.

David Byrne @ Summerstage

Summerstage charges $6.00 for a can of beer.

Overall, SO GOOD. I would pay to see it again. Two thumbs up.

David Byrne @ Summerstage

Pink Martini played before David. They were great too.

Jesus, that's a lot of pictures!

Posted by G3K | June 30, 2005 4:45 AM

SETLIST!

Posted by Neuman | June 30, 2005 9:04 AM

as always, great pictures! looking forward to the review.

Posted by jenny | June 30, 2005 9:24 AM

Great pics. 'specially #s 2 & 3.

Posted by J | June 30, 2005 9:30 AM

amazing pictures from an amazing show which has quickly risen to the top of my all time favorites list, even in the rain.

i really really REALLY hope someone was out there recording it.

Posted by giulia | June 30, 2005 3:56 PM

Where's the picture of him falling on his ass?

Posted by Frank Fallanga | June 30, 2005 4:19 PM

Sick Encore! Clark Puppets would have been proud

Posted by Tuna Gates | June 30, 2005 4:21 PM

Is it just a matter of time before Talking Heads reform and headline Coachella???

Posted by Chris | June 30, 2005 5:04 PM

He is such a handsome man...WOW!

Posted by anon | June 30, 2005 6:02 PM

I wasn't really upset that there wasn't encore. It was a great show and Life during Wartime is a great way to end a set.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2005 7:15 PM

I left that show glowing, encore or not. I wished there was an encore, but it didn't take away from what I did get to see.

Posted by brooklynvegan | June 30, 2005 7:18 PM

Im still waiting.... for David to come back and play one more song. Should have ended with 'Nothing but Flowers'. I hate people when there not polite!!

Posted by Guy guyerson | July 1, 2005 11:47 AM

You may ask yourself... "what is that piercing sensation against my neck?" And I'm hear to tell you that it's a blade, Rooster!!!!

Posted by Red Meat Conservative | July 1, 2005 2:24 PM

Great pics Vegan! I would've gone with if it wasn't so expensive.

Posted by stereogum | July 1, 2005 7:59 PM

Nice photos! I had a spot close to where you were, juddging by the angles of your photos. But some convulsing hippies forced me to move to tthe other side of the stage even before DB came on.

It was still a fantastic experience though. Glad you got photos!

Posted by Steven | July 1, 2005 9:18 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2005 12:10 AM

was at the show - thought it was phenomenal. you can actually see the back of my head in the very very last picture posted.

as far as the setlist is concerned, i have a quasi-setlist, it's in very very approximate order:

the great intoxication;
the man who loved beer;
i zimbra;
one rainy wish;
this must be the place (naive melody);
the heart's lonely hunter (thievery corporation);
what a day that was;
un di felice;
auscencia (caeserio evora, underground soundtrack);
sad song;
psycho killer;
like humans do;
road to nowhere;
dialog box;
glass, concrete, & stone;
she only sleeps;
life during wartime.

-bgw

ps-if there any any other pictures at all you have of the show, would love to see them; i had a great time.... usually i don't dance at all, but my friends and i and people around us went totally nuts and formed a dance-pit.

Posted by bgw | July 2, 2005 3:21 AM

didnt yell fuck you but could have. great, great show, still one song short. thought about his not performaning an encore for days.

Posted by modaspiga | July 5, 2005 11:30 AM

didnt yell fuck you but could have. great, great show, still one song short. thought about his not performing an encore for days.

Posted by modaspiga | July 5, 2005 11:31 AM

6-29-05 Central Park, NYC
The Great Intoxication, Glass Concrete & Stone, I Zimbra, Auscencia, The Man Who Loved Beer, The Heart’s a Lonely Hunter, One Rainy Wish, Sad Song, Like Humans Do, She Only Sleeps, Naïve Melody, Road to Nowhere, Psychedelic Afternoon, Psycho Killer, Dialog Box, What A Day That Was, Uni di Felice Eterea, Life During Wartime

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2005 3:05 PM

thanks for the set list.

Did anyone see this NY Times review?

They don't seem overly enthusiastic about the show.

Posted by brooklynvegan | July 5, 2005 3:09 PM

I want a pic of the stage only!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2005 12:04 PM

businesscardsshop,Business Card Templates,free business card templatesBusiness Card Design,creates additional design potentialFree Business Card Templates,more on yahooBusiness Card Printing,create then print your cardBusiness Card Software,applications and solutions introducedBusiness Card Size,more on googleBusiness Card Case,your accessories with this blueprint penBusiness Card Scanner,across the Web and read CardScanBusiness Card Maker,more info in msnBusiness Card Magnets,the perfect size and priceBusiness Card, the highest quality cardBusiness Credit Card,built for all businessCd Business Card,detailed information about Business Card Holder,more in yahooSmall Business Credit Card,for allBusiness Card Cdr,dvd+r Blank dvd bulkCustom Business Cards,you want a unique lookCreate Business Cards,a professional and memorableSample Business Card,design and printing by ProfessionalFree Printable Business Cards,Design Business Cards,more in googleBusiness Cards Online,providing for youPrint Business Cards,the latest equipmentCheap Business Cards,for your workProfessional Taste Business Cards,managing by a professional

Posted by businesscardsshop | September 19, 2006 7:26 AM

Posted by battery | April 27, 2009 3:57 AM

I want a pic of the stage only!!!!

Posted by Bottega Veneta Handbags | October 16, 2009 2:55 AM