Posted in NYC | music | music history on July 13, 2005

keith Alexander I don't often get freaked or super-saddened by death, but right now I'm feeling serious shock and confusion. It figures too that I would find out about Keith Alexander's death from a bicycle accident ON BOING BOING! The reason it figures is because the last place I expected Keith to pop up was blog world. I had no idea "he was an avid Boing Boing reader, and suggested different things we might find interesting for the blog." I always felt Keith's life mirrored my own in so many ways, so it's only fitting I found out about his death on a blog.

Keith Alexander was one of the most interesting people (and Brooklynites) that I had the privilege of meeting/knowing/worshiping. It was music that introduced me to Keith the famous musician. It was the parallels in our lives that brought me back to him.

CARNIVORE
Carnivore

I always had an interest in the sort-of-old-school Brooklyn heavy metal/hardcore scene. I especially like to trace the connections between various bands and their spin-offs. Type O Negative are key in this equation. Before Type O, vocalist Peter Steele sang for the controversial band Carnivore. Keith Alexander was Carnivore's original guitarist.

Primal Scream After Carnivore, Keith went on to play with the legendary Primal Scream before finally joining Dee Snider's post-Twisted Sister band of "Sick Motherfuckers."

"I met Dee while working at the Gauntlet in NYC. We reached an agreement regarding my consulting on his movie "StrangeLand." That was cool enough, but a few months into the job, he asks me to audition as a guitar player in his band Dee Snider's Sick Mutherfuckers. We'd be playing 100% Twisted Sister tunes around North America and overseas. I pass the audition and I'm in. Unreal."

Keith also opened the first body piercing studio in Brooklyn, was an active member of the online and offline body modification community, kept up an amazing web presence (regular website, public blog, private blog, etc...) AND recently reinvented himself again as a digital (web site) project manager. On the side he taught some related classes at the New School.

Guess who took one of those classes? I admit I signed up as much to meet the man as I did to learn something that was relevant to me anyway. He was blogging weekly updates on the progress of his full back carp tattoo while I was in his class. He would give us updates in class (like how he was in a bad mood because it hurt and what not). I never told him about my obsession with his music. It probably wouldn't of bothered him though. It was on his personal site that I found out about the classes, and it was in the class that he constantly reminded even the most conservative of students of his personal URL (full of "shocking" details about his life).

Keith Alexander

I'll end with two quotes from the "Why I do my website" page of his website:

"I look at this place as a scrapbook / journal. A digital version of the paper ones I've kept my entire life. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't read any more into it than necessary. And in a morbid way, a record of my predilections that will hopefully live on after I die, on some server, somewhere. Grandiose? Maybe. Maybe I just have the balls to admit it. Maybe one day, in the year 2201, a relation of mine will see these zeros and ones, and say, "Damn, he had fun." That is, if we don't annihilate one and other."

"Maybe I'll inspire you to be exactly who you want to be. Maybe you'll call me a fool."

Bike Blog has the unfortunate details.
Boing Boing reports that "services will be held on Thursday at Scarpaci Funeral Home, 1401 86th Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11228. 718-331-8000."

Wow. First saw news of his death on Bikeblog.com.

Sigh - "another" cyclist killed. But these people are more than just someone who rides bicycles -- in this case an accomplished musician, tech geek and artist. A very sad loss.

Posted by drewo | July 13, 2005 4:36 PM

Without knowing anything about Keith, I got a lot out of what you wrote. Thanks for this.

Posted by Hightower | July 13, 2005 8:20 PM

this is quite sad. i worked at the same company as keith for a brief time.

Posted by laura | July 13, 2005 8:51 PM

Keith and I have been together for over 2 years now and when I saw your post, I had to thank you for writing this - you really covered a lot of what made Keith, Keith.
Thanks again.

Posted by Melissa Medina | July 13, 2005 11:34 PM

A well written homage to a legend. RIP

Posted by Avi | July 14, 2005 7:27 AM

I've known keith since the mid-80s, and over the years he did every one of my piercings and was always there with a smile when I needed it. I'm really shocked at his senseless death. I'll be attending the funeral this evening; thanks for writing such a lovely memoriam for him here. -Melody

Posted by Melody | July 14, 2005 1:54 PM

While not at all surprised, I am incredibly comforted by the countless friends who are showing up anywhere there's anything about Keith right now. Keith is an old friend, and for a time I was his apprentice at Modern American Bodyarts.

Now I live in a ghost town in New Mexico, and am feeling every one of the 2000+ miles between here and there.

Thank you for this beautiful memorial to our friend.

Posted by Andria | July 14, 2005 2:24 PM

Thank you for this.
Keith was a past lover and dear friend in which I admired very much and whom taught me much in life.
He will be remembered until the day i die.

I am saddened and sickened by this accident.

Posted by teresa torres | July 15, 2005 8:43 PM

teresa, is that really necessary? keith's /girlfriend/ posted above.... show some tact.

Posted by kt | July 22, 2005 12:52 AM

I met Keith four or five years ago. He told me we would be "lifetime friends". He was right.
When I was in town last summer, he dragged me along when he had plans with his mom & sister.

He wasn't a daily presence in my life, but he was a special friend.

I'm still in shock. I found out way to late to attend the funeral and I'm 3,000 miles away.

He's still teaching me lessons.

Posted by bailey | July 22, 2005 11:51 AM

Man, I just found out about Keith's passing. After twenty-five (25) years of deferring a dream to join a Black Greek letter organization and get a brand from Keith, I logged on to find that I was a few days late and many dollars short. We'll miss Keith and his artistry. Keith we'll all miss you ... butonly rhe good die young!

John

Posted by John Kitchings | July 23, 2005 11:17 PM

Man, I just found out about Keith's passing. After twenty-five (25) years of deferring a dream to join a Black Greek letter organization and get a brand from Keith, I logged on to find that I was a few days late and many dollars short. We'll miss Keith and his artistry. Keith we'll all miss you ... but only the good die young!

John

Posted by John Kitchings | July 23, 2005 11:18 PM

Keith was a fellow dojo member of mine a few years back. He was a very intelligent person and knowledgable about a widerange of things. I'm sorry for everyon's loss.

We've posted a memorial to him at:
www.newyorkbudokai.net/keith_alexander.html

Posted by Dan Mayorga | July 29, 2005 5:32 PM

This is the first year out of 20 that I won't have the privilage to share thoughts with an old friend. I am fortunate we rocked together.

Posted by Steve Alliano | January 12, 2006 11:33 PM

U R GAY

Posted by meh | April 10, 2006 8:50 AM

I can't resist appreciating the owners of this blog. Good information. Well Done.

Charles Mercer

Posted by Charles Mercer | May 4, 2006 1:30 PM

Teddy G. said...

I was living in Vegas when this shit happened.
Keith and I used speak a lot at Tower books.
We met over our love of tattoos and body modifiations.
Wow, life goes by. I'm back in Brooklyn after 4 1/2 years and I was just web surfing trying to reconnect.
I thougt by now Keith was some awesome web design guru and I was gonna hit him up for a job connection. This is when I found out he was dead, Fuckin' weird.

The guy was always cool to me.
I feel sad that someone so cool that I knew is gone.
Rest In Peace Brother.

Posted by Teddy G. | September 11, 2006 8:12 PM

life is like the blink of an eye,so then y did u have to leave us so dam soon ,do u know something we dont yet. cant beleave y r gone or r u
peace enid

Posted by enid | June 1, 2007 10:50 PM

life is like the blink of an eye,so then y did u have to leave us so dam soon ,do u know something we dont yet. cant beleave u r gone or r u
peace enid

Posted by enid | June 1, 2007 10:51 PM

I just came across this blog/tribute. It is very touching to know Master Keith was loved by so many. He did inspire me to be who I am. In his way, he was a wise, yet stern, teacher. I will miss his lessons, as I feel he wasn't done teaching yet.

Posted by Rob Graham | December 10, 2007 6:46 PM

I knew Keith 12 years ago when I moved to Brooklyn for him. It didn't work out, but I learned a lot from him and always respeted him. so sad to learn of his passing.

Posted by Jeanine | April 30, 2009 11:54 AM

Eh...I admit I signed up as much to meet the man as I did to learn something that was relevant to me anyway.

Posted by kids jobs | May 14, 2009 8:28 PM

jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds Jessica's Blog jessica Blog joan’s blog jamiechase blog jessicahull blog jenniferhull blog jamie blog Jessicahull's Blog shirleyjones blog jessica blog jessica blog

Posted by jobs for 14 year olds | June 13, 2009 5:41 AM

Posted by Jimmy Choo Handbags | October 16, 2009 3:02 AM

I miss you so much

Posted by Keiths Sister | November 22, 2009 9:22 PM

Memorial for Keith. Please, feel free to express your thoughts

Posted by Lifestrand.net | March 3, 2010 11:36 AM

I strictly recommend not to hold off until you get big sum of cash to buy all you need! You should just take the home loans or bank loan and feel fine

Posted by LiliaSnyder | March 19, 2010 4:15 AM

I dont' know what made me search him tonight. Perhaps the universe sending me thoughts. He was my Digital Project Manager Teacher in New School and one of the the brightest , most insightful , and visionaries of the technology world. When I went to his website after the first day of class.2001 I couldn't' believe his musical background being one myself. After, I use to go to his site to keep up with the latest of digital world and it was a visit to his site one ay when I'm reading through and saying . NO, NO, this can't be... Truly one of those people, if you got to know him, had truly impacted your life and world with his spirit.. Thank you so much for this!

Posted by Debbee Davis | June 13, 2012 9:37 PM