Posted in music | pictures on August 10, 2005

The following photos were taken at Clap Your Hand Say Yeah's free show at South Street Seaport in NYC on Wednesday August 10th, 2005.

Large cheering crowd: CHECK
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah @ South Street Seaport

Quality music: CHECK
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah @ South Street Seaport

(David Bowie: not this time, but CHECK)

David Byrne: CHECK

Previously
Updated CYHSY / The National Tour Dates
[Arcade Fire = 1; Clap Your Hands = 0]
Clap Your Hands Sound Like ___
David Byrne @ Central Park Summerstage, NYC | Pics
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah @ Mercury Lounge | Pics

i love your site...much more informed and creativity positive than some other sites, not needed to be mentioned whom love to be snobby and cooler-than-thou...but, i must say, the david byrne obsession is a bit tiring....c'mon now.

Posted by ?!? | August 10, 2005 11:26 PM

I kinda agree with you on the David Byrne thing. I felt the potential overkill as I was writing this post, but I also felt this one was necessary. Its the continuing saga of David Byrne and David Bowie meet indie rock. I guess he's like my Britney/Lohan/Tom Cruise.

(I shouldn't have acted like a paparazzi...I know)

On a related note, I didn't expect HIM to be the subject of a backlash in a Clap Your Hands post :-)

(and thanks for the first part!)

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 10, 2005 11:36 PM

"I shouldn't HAVE acted like paparazzi"

how's that for nitpicking?

Posted by grammar police | August 11, 2005 12:08 AM

Music = great
crowd = fair
spot I procured to watch/listen = below average

From what I could hear, CYH put on another good show. I do think that their live show resonates better indoors....

I didn't particularly like "Details of the War" as an opener but "Home on Ice", "Yellow Country Teeth" and one of the unreleased songs stood out for me. I can't wait to see both them and the National next month!

Posted by phan | August 11, 2005 12:09 AM

grammar police: luckily I can edit my own comments. FIXED (thx. I'll get that one right eventually)

phan: I moved around a bunch, and standing in different locations made a huge difference, especially because it was outside (agreed).

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 11, 2005 12:15 AM

Maybe it is David Byrne that is obsessed with Brooklyn Vegan since he seems to always be at his shows....hmmmm, the nerd and the vegan

Posted by Parsley Lover | August 11, 2005 12:25 AM

We'll see if Byrne turns up (and blogs about) BMJ (which I keep thinking stands for Brian Massacre Jonestown).

Posted by J | August 11, 2005 12:59 AM

Nice Photos. It was a pretty good show. Just curious, where was David Byrne standing?

Does anyone know the name of the song performed toward the end that seemed to have gotten more applause than the others? It was definitely a stand out, had more of darker, almost Cure-ish sort of sound?

Posted by Renee | August 11, 2005 1:12 AM

omg i see me in your photos, wearing a black shirt next to the guy in royal blue shirt on the bottom left in the first one. wow ha

Posted by rachel | August 11, 2005 7:26 AM

ps here's mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlepants/ not that great really though

Posted by rachel | August 11, 2005 7:27 AM

Renee: Byrne was all the way in the back.

I think the song you mean is "Satan said Dance" ("Satan, Satan, Satan, Satan..."). Its always real popular live, but not on the album.

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 11, 2005 8:31 AM

Did anyone see the belligerent wall street guy on the stairs of Pizzeria Uno? Not only did he spill 2 - 3 full beers on himself, he kept shouting "yeah Brooklyn!". I'm guessing he was directing that at the skyline of Brooklyn, not the band, or maybe he saw the Bk. Vegan...not sure. Made my day though...

Posted by david | August 11, 2005 8:57 AM

Yeah, that guy on the stairs cracked me up.

Posted by Jerry | August 11, 2005 9:12 AM

... and i also thought it humorous when CYHSY very abruptly said "stay for devothcka!" considering all the flack they got for not mentioning S&L at Vicious.

I just think they honestly forget..or don't realize they have to mention the following band.

Posted by Jerry | August 11, 2005 9:22 AM

Nice pics, BV. I saw Byrne walking around before the show, but dude was wearing what looked like black spandax biker shorts, so I was like, could that really be him?
I was standing pretty far back, so my stage pics weren't great, but I did snap a pic of said Wall Street guy. I think he was just really feeling the music, man.

Posted by Fake Century | August 11, 2005 9:39 AM

Wow, look at that crowd. First NY show of theirs that I've missed in a long time.

Posted by Mike Neuman | August 11, 2005 9:48 AM

I'm really glad I didn't go to this. Way too many people for the given space. Ted Leo is gonna be a nightmare...

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2005 9:50 AM

Good show, albeit a tad brief. It wasn't really too crowded, everyone was chill. Good times. Bryne was in the back and left just as the band was starting up. But what was up with Alec's stinky looking t-shirt and red pants three inches above his ankles?? ;-)

Posted by Dfactor | August 11, 2005 10:06 AM

Yeah, after the show at Merc. Lounge I've been trying to find a copy of the track Satan Said Dance. Unfortunately, it's not happening. I hate that.

Posted by Lisa | August 11, 2005 10:07 AM

Clarification - I meant to write he was standing stage left in the back. He didn't go anywhere when the band started up. Sorry.

Posted by Dfactor | August 11, 2005 10:09 AM

Gotta me kidding me about good music? Clap Your Hands Say Yeah were awful. Terrible voice, and no-one in the band has any stage presence. I heard a couple of songs on KCRW so I was looking forward to seeing them, but was extremely disappointed. Made me wonder whether I accepted such poor quality entertainment back in my college days.

I hope Byrne stuck around to watch Devotchka, who kicked ass, and while their Gypsy-rock may only be fun for a year or so, they have improved greatly on their SouthPaw show last year.

Posted by davey | August 11, 2005 10:18 AM

I can't believe it took so long (21 comments) for someone to finally post the expected "Clap Your Hands were awful, Devotchka kicked ass" comment.

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 11, 2005 10:24 AM

agreed, devotchka are great! i hope this gave them some well- deserved exposure. and lead guy looks like a rockabilly george clooney.

Posted by rachel | August 11, 2005 10:36 AM

I think the "Bryne-appearing-at-bands-you-champion-motif" is funny. The public wants to know: Will he materialize at Aziz's next gig???? Will he join Aziz for a cover of "Naive Melody"????

Posted by Max Power | August 11, 2005 11:48 AM

CYHSY suck.

Posted by nick | August 11, 2005 2:56 PM

you know what, you suck.

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2005 3:28 PM

sucking is overrated

Posted by Colin Myboy | August 11, 2005 10:04 PM

Do you have a updated link to the CYHSY Satan Said Dance MP3?

Posted by Deirdre | March 29, 2006 3:40 PM

I was at the Raconteurs show last week, and while I didn't see Byrne, I'll bet he was there. I did see Little Steven and Jim Jarmusch in the audience though.

Posted by dacaplan | April 12, 2006 4:18 PM

I am in loved with David Byrne, I hope that soon he will start his world tourney.

Posted by Mya | July 6, 2010 6:52 AM

Bravo, David is a real all in one man not only a singer but a good writer and an exceptional actor, I luv him.

Posted by Raymond | November 16, 2010 9:50 AM