Posted in music | pictures on September 23, 2005

Wolf Parade @ Bowery Ballroom

Wolf Parade weren't the headliner of the Sub Pop CMJ showcase at Bowery Ballroom on Saturday night (September 17. 2005), but they were the band that everyone was there to see. "The Next Arcade Fire" went on around 12:30 AM - after Rogue Wave and before The Constantines who closed the night. Chad VanGaalen was the first to play over 5 hours earlier.

"Clearly, judging from the now large crowd, this band was who the kids wanted to see, and at least to these ears, they didn't disappoint in the slightest. Despite being seemingly wasted., guitarist/lead vocalist #2 Dan Boecker was extremely amusing, contorting his emaciated frame on each song while only committing the amateurish sin of constantly telling the crowd how drunk the band was in between tunes. Keyboard player/lead vocalist #1 Spencer Krug seemed to be more together, despite his displeasure on having to play on a gigantic rented electric piano that he claims to have never seen in his life." [Statute of Frauds]

Wolf Parade @ Bowery Ballroom

"They also never used their real name on stage but only refered to themselves as “the queen haters from Canada”. However their sound did sufer from their poor choice to rent equiment instead of bring their own." [Who's Driving the Bus]

"Wolf Parade, HOLY SHIT. Actually, they sound like plenty of other bands, but they sound like them SO MUCH BETTER, and WITH A THEREMIN." [this is 80's hair metal]

Wolf Parade @ Bowery Ballroom

"It was almost as if Wolf Parade was trying to blow it. One member stumbles on stage with a billowing joint in his mouth and wouldn't stop babbling about how he is seeing ghosts. Another wouldn't shut the fuck up about how drunk he was, acting like a College Freshmen trying to impress a Senior during rush week......But then they started playing music and oh my fucking god did they deliver..." [Central Village]

"They put on a decent show though the first two songs has me guessing for reasons as to why the capacity filled Bowery was flipping out over this band. It was sloppy, not in a good way, non memorable, and just kind of bland. They did improve and I enjoyed the last couple of songs that had a little more structure and stand out parts to them." [gilmoreboy]

Wolf Parade @ Bowery Ballroom

Though Pitchfork only gave their recent EP a 7.1, they hinted at something bigger to come. "It's difficult reviewing crumbs when you've already gorged yourself on the main course, but peering into the future offers the benefit of hindsight, which allows me to say now with some degree of confidence that Wolf Parade should have a pretty sick autumn."

Yeti Don't Dance and Central Village are betting on the score for the upcoming full length.

Wolf Parade tour dates @ Tiny Mix Tapes

MP3s in my previous Wolf Parade post.

Right from Wolf Parade, I darted to Scenic to catch Towers of London.

Hey now, that quote's taken a bit out of context. I go on to say that they were absolutely incredible, despite the distracting and sometimes irritating goings on between songs...

Posted by Jeff | September 23, 2005 10:57 AM

jeff, I see what you mean. I added a line to the quote.

Posted by brooklynvegan | September 23, 2005 11:07 AM

From the angle of your pics, you weren't that far away from where I was, right in front of that gigantic keyboard, surprised my head isn't in any of the pics. Think I saw you leaving. Cloud Cult t-shirt? If that was you, you walked right past Ben Gibbard. I was wondering if anyone got a pic of him.

But yeah, Wolf Parade were good. I think it's the same as my impression of CYHSY, there just seemed to be something missing. The sloppiness was noticeable and perhaps was a bit distracting. They def had a lot of energy though. The ghosts thing was pretty funny I thought, but the constant reminders that they were from Canada were odd.

was this their first NYC show? if not, where else have they played?

Posted by Chris | September 23, 2005 11:14 AM

negative on the Cloud Cult t-shirt. :-)

also, they've played NYC before. In June they played Pianos for that McSweeneys party, and they played Webster Hall with Modest Mouse almost exactly a year before this show. Other than that, I'm not sure.

on Ben Gibbard - I do know someone that got a pic of him. not sure if they posted it anywhere.

Posted by brooklynvegan | September 23, 2005 11:21 AM

damn...you are indeed a man of mystery.

:p

Posted by Chris | September 23, 2005 11:24 AM

Does anyone know how to contact the band?

Posted by Sky | September 23, 2005 1:34 PM

the pianos show was for the release of a copy of the believer, put on in conjunction with chadwick hines, i know bc i have the poster from hte show right over my laptop :).. that was an awesome show..

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2005 2:23 PM

did anyone stick around to see constantines? how were they?

Posted by jason | September 23, 2005 4:45 PM

They put on a usual high energy performance, but I felt their recent Mercury shows were better. Many band members of the other bands that played were hanging out by the rear stage entrance and looked like they were really diggin it. I think the crowd was somewhat spent after Wolf Parade. And noticably smaller.

Posted by Chris | September 23, 2005 5:00 PM

I thought I saw Ben Gibbard downstairs... but then thought "C'mon, everyone looks like that nowadays." (even the freakin' Fruit Bats singer was sportin the look).

Also, Brooklyn Vegan, those shots are from where I was standing too. I know you get this a lot, but this has happened many many times now. I swear you are a ghost or some wierd black-hole anamoly.

Posted by jerry | September 28, 2005 4:35 PM