Posted in music on October 20, 2005

So it ends up my favorite José González song is a cover. Heartbeat is by Swedish electronic duo The Knife. Now I love both versions.

* Download the original @ guava maffiosa
* Listen to the cover @ Jose's MySpace

Jose played it at The Living Room.

Tags: The Knife

You know, I knew that song sounded familiar. The Knife are an awesome band

Posted by musicsnobbery | October 20, 2005 2:56 PM

Out of sheer curiousity, it's not related to the Annie song of the same name, is it?

Posted by incarag | October 20, 2005 2:59 PM

Or the Tanna Gardner song?

Posted by drewo | October 20, 2005 3:40 PM

yeah, it was my favorite song of the night as well. i turned to my girlfriend, and told her that, damn, was an awesome song. and then a second later, jose announced that is was a cover. oh well, it's not like his original material was any less mesmorizing.

i didnt realize that the second cover he played (the one before teardrop) was a kylie song. you don't by any chance remember the name of the song do you? i was once a closeted kylie fan, so youd think i would of realized it.

btw, i did my research and it turns out that emm gryner is no random lounge singer. she has quite a couple of juno nominations under her belt. some of her songs, particularly 'symphonic' were memorbable, but then there's that 'hellboy' song that had me at the verge of laughter.

Posted by greg | October 20, 2005 3:56 PM

I think the Kylie cover he did was "Hand On Your Heart"

Posted by brooklynvegan | October 20, 2005 4:05 PM

think you might need to throw a www on to that Myspace link. doesn't seem to work without it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2005 4:10 PM

thanks for the link to that cover. the knife is fu**ing awesome.

Posted by chris | October 20, 2005 8:20 PM

I've known of The Knife but I don't think I had heard a song until you linked to that track. I know the singer is on a song on Royksopp's latest album.

Posted by Glenn | October 20, 2005 9:18 PM

If you like the Knife, do check out Jenny Wilsons debut album Love & Youth. She sings on the Knifes song You Take My Breath Away. Jenny is also a part of the great swedish art-pop band First Floor Power. And another guy from that band, Karl-Jonas Winqvist, just released a very good album called Sing a Song Fighter! under the band-name Blood Music. All great new swedish popmusic that I am sure a lot of you will like.

Posted by Hynek | October 21, 2005 5:30 PM

i was totally under the impression that was an 80's track when i heard it, and was very surprised i hadnt ever heard it before. Like an undiscovered old gem. But i just realized it's a recent song. That is hard to pull off. Awesome song.

i even had put it on an 80's mixtape for my friend

Posted by wes | October 22, 2005 8:07 PM

i even had put it on an 80's mixtape for my friend

Posted by wes | October 22, 2005 8:08 PM

Just listened to the original and i must say, kudos to José for making such a mighty cover, he turned it into one of the most beautifull ballad i ever heard.

Posted by Grees | December 6, 2005 3:36 PM

im sorry people but the original is absolutly horrid, i thought my ears were gonna bleed. thank god jose saved the day with his cover

Posted by bradley | December 10, 2005 5:12 AM

id like to appologise, after listening to it a few more times ive learned to tolerate it

Posted by bradley | December 12, 2005 6:12 AM

mmm..wat do i write

Posted by jkhjgjgkgh | February 25, 2006 9:37 AM

The Jose Gonzalez cover is a disgrace. He's just another faux-genuine, I'm-so-delicate, singer-songwriter tool. A load of carefully-tweaked (so the James Blunt girls fall head over heels for him), mumbly, uninspired crap. A waste of time and space, in other words.

The Knife, on the other hand, are GODS. Get their new album, "Silent Shout", and you'll understand.

Posted by Astonishing Sod-Ape | March 28, 2006 6:34 AM

The Knife show all the knowledge they have about the music of these last 20 years through this tune. Period.
Still I give credit to the cover for...giving cover for The Knife ^^

Posted by Jahkal | April 18, 2006 5:58 AM

Still I give credit to the cover for...giving cover for The Knife ^^
Oh ! and Silent Shout is mind blowing.

Posted by Jahkal | April 18, 2006 6:00 AM

Geez...to listen to those whiny voices. I hate the original. The music is good, but the voices! Sound like a bad karaoke-version of Kate Bush.
Jose Gonzalez on the other hand has a beautiful voice. He made the song a million times more listenable.

Posted by toothfairy | May 20, 2006 8:11 AM

tootfairy, your notes are a joke. the original is the bomb and the gonzalez cover is his interpretation. jokers aside.

Posted by Ttust | May 20, 2006 8:47 PM

Posted by Ttust | May 20, 2006 8:48 PM

does is super music

Posted by Robert | May 30, 2006 4:03 AM

everyones a critic ehh? So many opinions, all from losers who have nothing better to do than put negative posts on forums and message boards. Lets put you all in a room together and see if your opinions are so strong. set of faggots. opinonated morons.

Bet your all scientologists. wankers

Posted by elliot | September 28, 2006 4:57 AM

best site

Posted by Computers | October 14, 2006 12:55 AM

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

they're both good songs....lets just leave it at that

Posted by zed | October 27, 2006 2:42 AM

original is much much much much much better. to the 1000th degree

Posted by m | December 9, 2006 2:15 PM

hi..i loooove the knife..have one of you herd the song 'silent shout' with the knife, its awesome..

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 3:10 PM

There's a new up and coming Swedish act (slightly influenced by The Knife) that you ought to check out. They're called Trelleborg/Sassnitz. They've put two of their hits on www.myspace.com/trelleborgsassnitz.

Posted by Daniel | August 29, 2007 12:13 PM

the knife are tot-al douche bags iwth no soul, only screams. i can't believe the visionary reworking of mr. gonzalez. knife is a knife to the eardrum.

Posted by quiet storm | January 14, 2008 5:09 PM