Posted in music | pictures on November 14, 2005

DOWNLOAD: Emily Kane (MP3)

Art Brut @ Tribeca Grand

I know a lot of people hate going to shows at Mother*ck*er and Tribeca Grand, but if you like your audiences rowdy, sweaty and not-afraid-to-dance, these are the places to catch hot bands before it's off to Bowery (big)-Webster(bigger)-Roseland(biggest). I got there at 11:00 (November 12, 2005). The line was only about five minutes long. When Art Brut went on at 12:30, the downstairs of Tribeca Grand was more packed than I've ever seen it. People were pouring out of every corner. I lost a bit of hearing, but luckily it came with the experience of a great show. They played a shorter set than the one at Mercury Lounge two nights earlier - partly because they talked less between songs. That's not a good or bad thing, just different. The songs flowed together more. The energy in the room was felt by the band who gave it right back. Are you ready Art Brut?

Art Brut @ Tribeca Grand

Tags: Art Brut

eddie argos and chris lee? separated at birth?

Posted by javier buchananeversonia | November 14, 2005 11:40 AM

As always, great pics BV and a great show, too. I'm there (in the 10th picture from the bottom) on the bottom right-hand side (with glasses and sideburns and a big bald spot) singing along!

Posted by incarag | November 14, 2005 1:01 PM

Hey incaraq, I was also at Elbow, SFA, and Spoon the same nights you were. That was a amazing/tiring little string of shows there, wasn't it.

Posted by Chris | November 14, 2005 1:06 PM

did nobody else notice how the new song that wasn't finished (3 verses done, whats the matter eddie- not finished listneing to '25 years of being Childish'?!) is actually a complete rip-off of an old Billy Childish/Thee Headcoats song, "Punk Rock Ist Nict Tot"... cheeky buggers!

Posted by miffed | November 14, 2005 1:32 PM

i LOVED the kid with the wrapped-up hand who totally rocked out and consequently LOST the bandaging.

and also, maybe it's because i was in a different spot than you, and in a different spot from where i usually stand, but i thought this was the least packed tribeca has ever been in the handful of times i've been there...

Posted by rachel | November 14, 2005 1:43 PM

Posted by rachel | November 14, 2005 1:43 PM

Hey Chris, feel free to drop me a line via my blog. We seem to miss each other a lot. And yeah, that was a pretty awesome stretch of shows, esp. the Elbow show and the Spoon/AMC/Mary Timony triple bill. Were you at Art Brut on Saturday night also?

Posted by incarag | November 14, 2005 1:47 PM

Yeah... not a big Art Brut fan. There album is near the top of my least fav of 2005 list. Right behind MIA. But yeah, we do seem to go to a lot of the same shows. IMHO, Elbow was def the best of those three.

Posted by Chris | November 14, 2005 2:35 PM

Art Brut & MIA at the top of a least fave list? Yeah, those records are so much worse than Ashlee Simpson, System Of A Down, Limp Bizkit, Nick Lachey, Crazy Frog, Hillary Duff, etc. I guess you are right.

you posing dopes kill me...

Posted by Stan | November 14, 2005 6:38 PM

Am I the only one here who actually likes System of a Down? I think they're head and shoulders above the rest of the nu-metal/alt-metal pack. I'm not a huge fan, but I did really enjoy Toxicity and their last one (Hypnotize).

Posted by incarag | November 14, 2005 7:56 PM

Well considering that I don't even consider crap like Ashlee Simpson, Nick Lachey, Crazy Frog, Hillary Duff to be music, then yes, MIA and Art Brut are near the top of my least fav of 05 list.

Posted by Chris | November 15, 2005 8:43 AM