Posted in music on November 9, 2005

CRIPPLE CROW | THE FAMILY
Cripple Crow

"Banhart's most recent album, Cripple Crow finds him in a more communal vibe. The album was recorded with the help of those he calls 'the Family,' a small group of friends from various bands (Vetiver, Cocorosie, Bunny Brains, Joanna Newsom, Feathers, Espers, Tarantula A.D.). The Family, Banhart reveals, is something he came up with to ward off the tiresome freak-folk label that's been slapped on everything he and his group of musician friends do. 'I was just trying to give an alternative to a lame name, and I thought that sounded pretty,' he explains." [Popmatters talked to Devendra]

Previously
Antony Interviewed & Reviewed | Matmos
Vashti Bunyan | Just Another Diamond Day | Lookaftering
Devendra Banhart @ Webster Hall, NYC | pics (part 1)
Tarantula A.D. (w/ CocoRosie) @ Webster Hall, NYC | pics
A BBC New Folk Documentary | Listen
Joanna Newsom Fansite | Unreleased MP3 downloads
Anti-Folk | The Rock Snob's Definition
Joanna Newsom News | Hal Willner, (Smog)
Joanna Newsom covers Melanie MP3 | Drag City Christmas Pics

Tags: Espers

How in the hell does a slight bearded man giving his "group" the name "The Family" which not only invokes Manson & his followers but also hippy communes in general not do anything but scream "freak" and "folk"?

Posted by Jim H | November 9, 2005 4:53 PM

Good point Jim. The first thing I think of when I hear "The Family" is Charles Manson. Now all Devendra has to do is to tattoo a backwards swastika on his forehead and it'll be even creepier.

I don't doubt his intent and that he's sick of the "freak folk" label, but I have to wonder if he's conscious of how strange this new move is.

Posted by incarag | November 9, 2005 5:05 PM

I don't blame Devendra at all for being fed up with the whole stupid "freak folk" lable. The Family does sound much more accurate and a lot nicer too as well. Devendra isn't weird at all in my opinion. His music is probably the most beautiful music that i have heared in a long time. I'm behind him 100% Devendra is the BEST!!!

Posted by benton123 | August 29, 2006 1:59 AM

Posted by benton123 | August 29, 2006 2:00 AM

It's interesting, he actually covers an alledged Charles Manson song. He blends it with Lauryn Hill's "That Thing". I love his music, but there are some strange similarities. However, Devendra= Charles Manson, helluva stretch to me.

Posted by griff | February 7, 2007 11:19 AM

devendra sucked my weener one time

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2009 8:46 AM

i bet devendra has a nice bearded dookied out dookie shit dick that i would love in my ass, i would love for him to pee in my butt and vomit on my man tits fuck me fuck me fuck me i wanna die

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2009 8:52 AM