Posted in music | pictures on January 16, 2006

Joly

Joly 'Punkcast' MacFie (in a Communion T-Shirt) tapes Akron/Family Saturday night (January 14, 2006) @ Knitting Factory in NYC. Check out the (old) article about him in the Village Voice.

Joly is a cool guy. He filmed my brothers band about a year ago at the Delancey. I still haven't seen that tape yet...

Posted by Matt | January 16, 2006 7:16 PM

saw him most recently at the 50 Kaitens...he took off his shoes and walked around in his socks.

Posted by laura | January 16, 2006 7:32 PM

Very cool guy. I have spoken with many times the vault of video he has must be amazing.

Posted by danfun | January 16, 2006 7:36 PM

i heard a rumor there is never any tape in his cameras.

Posted by assface | January 16, 2006 7:58 PM

Jolly has been a fixture of nyc live music since i can remember. I have a massive button collection from him when he used to sell them at the old peppermint loung (45th st) and The old Ritz which is
now webster hall.

Posted by mediaeater | January 16, 2006 8:03 PM

It's great that someone took the time to mic his tee.

Posted by Young Poisoner | January 16, 2006 9:35 PM

he roadied for Syd Barrett and was involved with Pink Fairies.
...
I wish my dad was that cool.

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2006 3:58 AM

BV, was the other guy sitting on the stage (while Akron/Family was in the crowd) Michael Gira? He put on a stetson hat as he was leaving, if that helps. A/F was talking to him while onstage, but I don't know if this guy was Gira.

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2006 12:35 PM

i've seen that guy get tossed from a stage more than once by pissed-off bands. usually accompanied by pissed-off fans cheering. yeah he documents the scene, and that is very important. but he really needs to learn that he's not the only one trying to watch the show. standing right up against performers, or in front of everyone at a small crowded show is just damn rude. there is an art to documenting live events, and being smack dab in the middle of it is not part of it.

Posted by sucka | January 18, 2006 12:15 PM

I'd disagree, being smack dab in the middle is a big part of it. I do my best not to mess with other people's enjoyment.

I try to make video that captures the excitement of the moment.

The only band that have given me any grief, out of nearly 1000 shows I'm up to now, is Japanther, at Todd P's outdoor thing, last year. I'm pretty sure that's the one you're talking about.

You are young, sucka, I suspect, and take your scene for granted - but it is a rare and wonderful thing, and worth documenting.

Posted by joly | January 18, 2006 1:54 PM

Hmmmm. Well, yes. I pretty much agree with everything, except the issue of how invasive you allow your presence to become. The Japanther show was rather notable, since Ian physically couldn't play his drums and was visibly upset. But there have been other shows where it was problematic (to the crowd at least), even if it didn't come to that point.

I guess my point is simply that there is an art form to documenting anything. And while planting yourself so front-n-center is an effective way to capture the moment. . . it comes at the expense of everyone else. The scene is about the community, the support, the good vibes, the mutual respect for one another. And it's just a bit off-putting when someone so obviously puts themself and their desires over everyone else. There are a LOT of people documenting these shows and events (seemingly to grow exponentially every year), but hardly ever is there someone standing over a band for minutes at a time.

I actually think that what you do is extremely important and very valuable. The fact that you provide your work to people barely at cost, and have spent so many years supporting artists is extremely admirable and impressive. I would hope that someday you'll have a retrospective at PS1 or something. But these shows are also to be experienced and enjoyed by the people there as much as they are to be recorded. They all paid their $5 too.

Posted by sucka | January 19, 2006 4:36 PM

does anyone have a link to the video footage of teh akron/ family show that night?

Posted by dan | January 28, 2006 6:20 PM

I've worked for a little while for Joly when I was living in NY city. The guy was like a walking music encyclopedia. On a mission and soo driven. Just checked out the punkcast site today, since I was thinking about him. I'm happy that the thing he believed in worked out so well.
Beginning bands shoul be thrilled he does something like that. I wish him all the luck

Posted by Danielle van reede | May 5, 2006 5:29 AM