Posted in music | pictures on January 16, 2006

Some of us were at the Winter Garden for a tribute to the Boss Saturday night. Others were packed into Tonic to see Mr. Alec Ounsworth. Then there were those catching either the 8:30 or 10:30 Sufjan Stevens show at Lincoln Center's Allen Room in NYC. The rest of this post is a compilation of reviews, photos, and links sent to me by you....

Sufjan Stevens @ Lincoln Center

Reviews @ Mesh Magazine, Village Indian, and Variety and one of the early show by Cioran Sellars right here: "Well I saw Sufjan Stevens at Lincoln Center tonight. Ah what can I say? I've seen Sufjan and co-horts once before at the Bowery ballroom, where I must admit I was somewhat distracted/transfigured by the luminous Katrina Kerns. I remember thinking that I've been looking for a cult worth joining, and if this cult was this intelligent and attractive I'm in. Back then they were all in cheerleading outfits, this time they looked dressed for the prom. Sufjan's babes were endearingly awkward in slightly geeky dresses and ill footing boots. Freed from the bondage of having to promote the last album (however much I like it) and with only an hour and fifteen minute set they concentrated mostly on my favorite songs (no John Wayne Gacy alas) with a good heaping from "Seven Swans" and the orchestra added to some songs (He Woke Me Up) and perhaps clouded others but there is something about seeing Sufjan and crew that awakens some urge to continue living in me......

.....And come to think of it about half of the songs played tonight had themes of waking up - or as he put it are you half awake or half asleep? There is something about great art (despite Mr. Raymond Carver's remarks to the contrary in "Fires") that makes one want to live larger to live more heroicially (the theme of my unproduced play) that always grabs my neck. I love that Sufjan has a song about Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find (ladies I am available btw) for I really think it all comes down to having that gun against your head - how would you live if you had that gun against your head. And of course Dostoevsky survived having a gun literally against his head...survived to become a reactionary who however much he maligned say Kirilov left a trail..."

Sufjan Stevens @ Lincoln Center

Sufjan Stevens @ Lincoln Center

Thanks to Jonathan for getting me the above three shots. They were snapped by Tsippa.

EARLY SHOW SET LIST (thx Village Indian)
Sufjan Stevens @ Lincoln Center

LATE SHOW SET LIST (thx Jonathan)
Sufjan Stevens @ Lincoln Center

Previously
Sufjan Stevends - Pantheon Award Finalist
Newsweek calls Indie Yuppies Yupsters
Sufjan Stevens & Damien Rice playing 2006 Tibet House Concert
Live & Rare Sufjan Stevens Downloads | MP3s

That late show setlist is entirely wrong. They handed that out after the show, but it ain't what he played.

Posted by vole | January 16, 2006 1:59 PM

first show setlist is missing the encore, which for some reason escapes me right now.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2006 2:01 PM

encore was romulus and i have a review up too!

what was the late show's setlist??

Posted by matt | January 16, 2006 2:15 PM

the 2nd setlist - yes - waaay off. so glad i was at the 2nd show for 'john wayne gacy, jr.'

here's my nutshell recap of the evening [ i was sitting too close to be able to sneak photos, i was busted before the show even started]: http://therealjanelle.typepad.com/the_real_janelle/2006/01/new_york_city_l.html

Posted by janelle | January 16, 2006 2:41 PM

thanks for the trackback vegan! this site is king-and the reason i get to as many shows as i do!

if you've ever used sound isolating headphones and thought to yourself, "damn, this is totally the way this music was meant to be heard!" then you know exactly what we are all thinking in the allen room at lincoln center that night.

come on over for more show reviews in the coming weeks...

Posted by Village Indian | January 16, 2006 3:02 PM

The lateshow setlist (blue photocopy) is not a setlist, but a list of some songs that were played (not in any order). The encore at the late show was John Wayne Gacy, Jr. The last tune of the regular set was Seven Swans. For my review, you can go here.

Posted by dacaplan | January 16, 2006 3:16 PM

encore for early show was Romulus - was maple river the 'new track' his site hinted about?

Posted by maewest | January 16, 2006 3:33 PM

i was at the late show, and yes I'm pretty sure maple river was the new song. i didn't get a chance to take pics, but everything about the performance, including the stage and magnificient view of columbus circle behind it, was enough to make sure I'll never forget it

Posted by Connor | January 16, 2006 3:49 PM

I think he played "Maple River" when I saw him at Symphony Space. Was it an instrumental?

I saw the early set at the Allen Room and don't care that much that I missed "Gacy" but I would have loved to hear "Night Zombies." Alas.

Posted by Greg | January 16, 2006 4:03 PM

um, he played night zombies at the early show!

Posted by matt | January 16, 2006 4:14 PM

man, this show was pretty magical.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2006 4:20 PM

So there's a vid link here:

If it's not there maybe I can upload a new yousendit link... it's a vid from the late show of Night Zombies.

Posted by anonymii | January 16, 2006 5:32 PM

I was at the first show. It was amazing...and "maple river" is the new instrumental song, but he didn't play it during the early set. Village Indian's isolating headphones comment is DEAD ON. Now if I could only hear him play "For the Widows..." live once, my life would be complete.

Posted by BL | January 16, 2006 5:51 PM

Thanks again Brooklyn Vegan for the early tip on the tickets going on sale. It was a priceless show to be at.

Posted by BL | January 16, 2006 5:52 PM

Hey, that's my video link above (my pictures too). Don't know how the video ended up here. I didn't think anyone actually reads my LiveJournal, which is where I posted it. Before you run and download it you should know that it's crap. I didn't use the lens to aim at the stage--didn't want to risk getting in trouble. So most of the time the camera's not even on the stage. I only bothered to upload it to give my friends who don't know of Sufjan a chance to see/hear a tiny bit of him "live."

Posted by T. A. | January 16, 2006 7:13 PM

greg: yeah i think so - i had completely forgotten (how!?!) about that song at symphony space... i loved it.

Posted by janelle | January 16, 2006 7:22 PM

Sufjan DID NOT play "Zombies" at the early show. Only played it during the late show.

Posted by DrJimmy | January 16, 2006 9:48 PM

As previously mentioned, the space and the music were stunning. Anyone know if NPR or someone else recorded a soundboard version? I can't imagine that Sufjan wouldn't want a recording.

Posted by nosparks | January 16, 2006 10:57 PM

The dude beside me made a recording of the late show, but I never got his name, I'm sure he wasn't the only one though.

Posted by dacaplan | January 16, 2006 11:09 PM

NYTimes review:

Posted by markdi | January 17, 2006 9:32 AM

If anyone gets a recording of it, posting it would be awesome, i wanna hear it so bad, wish i could have been there...

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2006 12:21 PM

it could be possible that i have a certain recording. if i did have this recording, it might be of poor quality because i may or may not have had to record it from the insides of a purse... and perhaps it's only the first forty-five minutes.

but, hypothetically, you'd be welcome to this recording.

Posted by emily | February 9, 2006 1:19 AM

uhm sooo where is this supposed purse recording located?

Posted by tlo | February 22, 2006 12:45 AM

I can either email it to you, or post it in a journal of sorts.

Posted by emily | March 5, 2006 11:59 PM

a journal of sorts

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2006 10:19 AM

Is it possible to lisen to The Maple River, does anybody have it to download?

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2006 4:56 AM

the illinois tour in chicago is up now, as well... if you'd like.

Posted by emily | March 30, 2006 12:08 AM

the illinois tour in chicago is up now, as well... if you'd like.

Posted by emily | March 30, 2006 12:09 AM

horse sex forum free horse penetration sex

Posted by Xdxrazutomq | October 5, 2006 10:03 AM

fuck my wife please shut the fuck up

Posted by Xchuz | October 5, 2006 3:36 PM

Get links to the file you are looking for at http://newfileengine.com/
Use the search, then follow the link and do what you want!

Posted by hell | December 13, 2008 3:27 PM

Is it possible to lisen to The Maple River, does anybody have it to download?

Posted by kral oyunlar com | May 9, 2009 2:00 PM