Posted in NYC | music on January 31, 2006

The Continental - Ramones

Get Underground reports, "...CBGB’s less famous counterpart only a few blocks up the street, The Continental, has let it be known that it will no longer be hosting live music and will become a regular bar with a big screen TV. The Continental hosted some of the best punk rock music ever. It’s where Joey Ramone partied and where Murphy’s Law can be counted on to ring in the New Year and St. Patrick’s Day.....I recently ran into the Continental’s owner, Trigger, at Manitoba’s on Ave. B. 'It breaks my heart, but I’ll be able to pay my rent easier,' he said. He added that when he first opened the club 15 years ago, the East Village was still the East Village. Now I’m surrounded by McDonald’s and Starbucks and K-Mart and I’m paying that level rent.'..."

The Continental - Toilet Boys

Catch one more show at The Continental. Check out their schedule.

RIP CBGB
RIP CONTINENTAL
RIP 2ND AVE DELI (not that I could eat anything there)

On a related note, CBGB is supposedly/obviously planning a series of farewell shows leading up to the October 31st closing date.

Tags: Continental

if 2nd ave deli ever resurrects like 2pac, i'm taking u there and throwing pastrami down yer throat wether u likes it or not!!

Posted by thigh master | January 31, 2006 12:30 PM

Oh man, that is terrible news and although trigger could be a dick at times, I had one of my finest live music experiences there in 2000 when the Bouncing Souls played back to back shows there for Halloween. The first of which they came out dressed as the Ramones and played a couple covers. I missed the days of Coney Island High, but for those two shows it felt like the sweat box I used to hear stories about. You will be missed Contential - you piece of shit.

Posted by jjjay | January 31, 2006 1:06 PM

well they really only had shitty music there but someone i think this is much sadder than CBGBs closing down

Posted by wes | January 31, 2006 1:43 PM

This sucks so much. This is one of the funnest places to see a show - it's even more fun to play one there. I've had some great times at the Continental. Damn - they should at least designate a couple of nights a week for shows. Where the fuck are no name punk bands going to play now?

Posted by Matt Saturday | January 31, 2006 1:49 PM

granted it's been a while since I was last at the Continental but this is sad sad news. oh east village you mistress of greed.

Posted by EAR FARM | January 31, 2006 1:50 PM

Sorry to burst the bubble, kids, but Trigger is a thug who treated local bands and customers like crap and physically abused patrons who minded their own business. I don't understand the reverence for places like this -- the music scene flourished *despite* the experience of dealing with places like Continental, not *because* of it.

If you saw some of your favorite bands at Auschwitz, would you be wishing it was still open? You should be thinking happily of the bands you like, not lamenting the closing of the room you saw them in.

Ask anyone who played regularly at CBs how they were treated when booking shows, when getting paid, when soundchecking, etc. Ugh. Maybe they were nice to the Ramones back in the day, but that doesn't excuse 20 years of acting like bands should be grateful for the opportunity the grace their exhalted stage.

end of rant

back to your regularly scheduled program.

Posted by Triggerer | January 31, 2006 2:50 PM

That was always my least favorite part of going to CBGB's: The acid showers. And being turned into soap.

Posted by J | January 31, 2006 3:20 PM

After one two many encounters with a very rude door guy (aka Trigger's son), I stopped going to shows at the Continental. No big loss as the bands playing there, for the part, have been shite.

Posted by db | February 1, 2006 11:13 AM

I remember when it first opened up and was called the Continental Divide. It had a dinosaur theme, comfy couches, and fruity drinks. Then Thunders performed there. Within what seems like literally a matter of weeks the place turned into the shit hole it was up until today. Having said that, this is sad news. I saw many great bands there and had lots of laughs. Trigger was not the asshole you guys make him out to be. I remember Cheetah throwing a trashcan through the window. I would witness as each one of his band members would die, Walter Lure would replace them with his Asian male lovers. It was an awesome joint, gone forever. NYC SUCKS NOW, PERIOD. There is nothing left. Nothing. You pay money to breathe and get no reward. I got out of there 2 years ago and am fortunate to be living in Los Angeles where there's still a semblance of personality here in Hollywood, though probably not for long. At least the weather is good.

Posted by John | February 23, 2006 4:00 PM

sad sad sad

Posted by red | March 4, 2006 1:23 AM

Umm, yea trigger is the asshole he made himself to be. He made the mistake of mouthing off to my buddy's girlfriend for asking him a question about the bands playing that particular night. It took 5 of us to hold back my buddy from chewing him and his "I'm trying to stand out among the hip" Vietcommie hat. The soundman was cool, and I hope he doesn't lose his job...otherwise, who cares about Trigger and Continental?

Posted by Angel | January 26, 2007 5:24 PM

Trigger was a doll, just misunderstood.

Posted by niki | July 15, 2008 5:01 PM