Posted in music | pictures on January 15, 2006

The National @ The Winter Garden

I thought The National were one of the best acts that covered a song from Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album at the Winter Garden last night (January 14, 2006). The three hour free show, entitled "The Nebraska Project", kicked off the 2006 New York Guitar Festival. The National played Mansion on the Hill. WFUV DJ John Platt gave each artist a short interview after their song.

The National @ The Winter Garden

Tags: The National

Obviously you didn't see or hear the ridiculous banter between John Platt and The Chocolate Genius...That was the highlight of the show...

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2006 10:34 PM

I heard that Bruce himself actually showed up and played at the end - can anyone confirm?

Posted by mc | January 15, 2006 10:46 PM

Did anyone record this? The awaiting public needs to know!

Posted by JT | January 15, 2006 10:48 PM

Did anyone record this show? The awaiting public needs to know!

Posted by JT | January 15, 2006 10:49 PM

Yeah, Springsteen showed up at the end. Friend was there, I was at home laughing at the Patriots losing.

Posted by musicsnobbery | January 15, 2006 11:58 PM

I was there. I left after Johnny 99..I couldn't take it anymore. Sure I wanted Bruce to be there but I knew even he couldn't save such a horror of a show. I only hoped he kicked everyones ass if he did show..Only a full blown E Street Band doing could have salvaged this..And I'm a big Fan..........

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2006 12:37 AM

i know bruce has a song by the national on his walk-in cd for his shows. he had it on his web site. about today. would have been cool to see this. i bet it was recorded by new york guitar festival.

Posted by tom | January 16, 2006 12:43 AM

Posted by tom | January 16, 2006 12:44 AM

my girlfriend works at borders books, and she saw bruce there yesterday buying records.

among the various records he purchased, was one nation of ulysesses cd.

Posted by mike | January 16, 2006 3:56 AM

bruce did play some guthrie at the end - with most musicians from the evening.

john platt had the audacity to collar him after the fact for yet more of his interminable questions. bruce responded that the deep significance of Nebraska - social justice, lives on the margins, etc. - was but a ruse to get girls to take off their pants...

Posted by vic | January 18, 2006 1:09 PM