Posted in music on February 5, 2006

FIRST: As I hoped, M Ward is (almost definitely) opening for Jenny Lewis tonight (Feb 5) at Angel Orensanz in NYC! I'm pretty sure Jenny's boyfriend Jonathan Rice is too. I'm pretty sure Whispertown 2000 is not (they'll be playing with her at Irving though).

M, JIM, CONOR & MIKE in 2004 (cred: Wendy Lynch)
M Ward, Jim James, Conor Oberst, & Mike Mogis

NEXT: My Morning Jacket's Jim James joined M. Ward on stage for four songs at Warsaw in Brooklyn Friday night (Feb 3).

"...Matt Ward took to the stage with a rhythm guitarist, bassist and drummer. Halfway through his set, Jim James came out for a few numbers and the crowd was happy a lot. The set spanned M.'s three albums...." [Trouser Mouse]

Previously
Jenny Lewis' Rabbit Fur Coat | MP3 Leak | M Ward
M Ward @ Castle Clinton, NYC | Pics
My Morning Jacket scores #10 in Pazz & Jopp
Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins (full) U.S. Tour Dates

M. Ward opened for Jenny Lewis tonight. Amazing. Jim joined him, as did Conor Oberst. No Johnathan Rice or Whispertown 2000.

Jenny was good, but not overwhelming. Matt came on at the end for an encore w/ her. Very disappointed they didn't do the Travelling Wilburys cover on her album and that there was not even one Rilo Kiley song.

The venue was gorgeous and intimate. I love Jenny, but I am not feeling a need to buy tickets to her Irving Plaza show next month. I prefer her Rilo Kiley power pop stylings to her controlled, yet beautiful country crooning.

Posted by Qbertplaya | February 5, 2006 10:23 PM

I was disappointed by the whole thing. I don't know M. Ward that well, but I don't think I'll ever pay to seem him live. The entire show was boring. Maybe I went in with the wrong attitude, but I thought they both sounded like a million other singer/songwriters.

Posted by Dylan | February 5, 2006 10:58 PM

The Watson Twins were not loud enough in the mix.

Posted by Anonymous | February 5, 2006 11:25 PM

M Ward boring???

Jonathan Rice didn't play his own set, but he was Jenny's guitarist and they sang that Jesus-themed duet at the end.

pics and review tomorrow.

Posted by brooklynvegan | February 6, 2006 1:30 AM

I'm very surprised by the above statements because I thought the evening was absolutely sensational. I thought M. Ward was terrific, and I now want to run and buy all his albums. And I enjoyed his special guests. I thought Jenny Lewis came through with flying colors. Jenny Lewis was sensational, and the venue and sound were also fantastic. But I have to say I was disappointed that Handle With Care was not performed. All around a really great now, with Jenny and the band getting a long standing ovation!

Posted by Renee | February 6, 2006 2:07 AM

I thought the show was amazing. Although I was bummed that Handle Me With Care wasn't played, I though that everything else was perfect. The setting was intimate and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves. When Jenny Lewis sang, every person in the room seemed to be enraptured by her voice.

Posted by Crystal | February 6, 2006 8:00 AM

Well, I'm glad you all enjoyed it. To each his or her own, I guess.

Posted by Dylan | February 6, 2006 9:13 AM

M Ward with Jim James and Conor guesting could've sold that night out easily on their own (M Ward sold out Warsaw on Friday). Obviously you are missing something because M Ward is the fucking shit. i feel bad for you that you're not able to get anything out of his music. did you give away your candy on halloween too?

Posted by Anonymous | February 6, 2006 11:19 AM

M. Ward was fantastic on Friday at Warsaw. Started out the show on electric guitar (which I wasn't expecting) then went back and forth between acoustic guitar and piano the rest of the night, sometimes with just a drummer, sometimes with a full band, sometimes with just another guitarist, sometimes alone. The crowd loved it and after his first encore, the crowd stood cheering for 3 or 4 minutes to finally bring him back out for a second encore. His voice was stunning, the mix was perfect. Just a great all-around show.

Posted by Nineteen-ninety-never | February 6, 2006 11:27 AM