Posted in music | pictures on June 21, 2006

Beirut @ Northsix

WOW, what a great, great show. I'm falling asleep, so help me out with some reviews in the comments (ten piece orchestra, forced encore, and Internet jokes included).

Beirut @ Northsix

Beirut @ Northsix

Beirut @ Northsix

Beirut @ Northsix

Beirut @ Northsix

Beirut @ Northsix, Brooklyn, NY - June 20, 2006.

Previously
Beirut @ Sound Fix Records, Brooklyn, NYC | pics by Kelly

Tags: Beirut

AMAZING Show! The setlist was impressive the new songs were great and the band had great dynamics! The vocals were suprisingly strong and the forced encore was quite a "feel-good" experience for all. WOW

Posted by Pete | June 21, 2006 8:50 AM

at the knitting factory debut, i'll admit it was pretty damn precious when zach introduced "postcards" and "wroclai" as his blog hits. at northsix however, when he referenced a blogger's review of his show at joe's pub, i just wanted to lean over and tell him that people are usually a little less open about googling themselves.

but anyway, it was a great show. the 10-piece band really fleshed out the music, and zach has surrounded himself with some characters (anyone who witnessed the 2nd ukulele player's tambourine antics might know what i'm talking about). that said, i feel as though they were in best form with the material from "gulag" -- one thing that impresses me most about beirut is the ability to bring together so many enormous sounds, especially zach's voice, in a really nuanced way -- the orchestration is superb. i don't know how he's writing some of the post-album stuff, but there were times when i felt like i was listening to a balkan jam band. i really dug it nonetheless, i just think that songs like "after the curtain" and "postcards" have an extra little something special about them that i didn't find too often in the newer (i.e. two-day old) ones.

basically the voice is amazing and the music is, at its best, inspiring. at its worst, it's just damn good fun. either way you'll be smiling.

Posted by kt | June 21, 2006 9:36 AM

Brilliant! Wonderful! So glad I was there!

Posted by Rebecca | June 21, 2006 9:42 AM

When he insisted they really didn't have any more songs to play and offered to do the entire set again instead, I was all for it.

Why no "Scenic World", I wonder? I would have paid more than $10 to see him play that song alone. Man, what a night.

Posted by qbf | June 21, 2006 10:08 AM

yeah it was a really good show, especially that last song (before the encore). without question, for me, that's their most energetic live song.

i thought the energy at the soundfix show was much better. for some reason the crowd seemed more into it. i think it was partially because they sounded louder there (at least the horns) since it was a smaller space, more intimate, etc.

Posted by mike | June 21, 2006 10:21 AM

i'd like to see him play. does he ever open his eyes? sounds like fun, although I'm skeptical of the consistent praise without an ounce of criticism. can beirut do NO wrong?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2006 10:30 AM

the show was just like a pep rally where the high schoolers were cheering on the nerdy band kids rather than the popular jocks.

i hadn't been to a beirut show since the one at knitting factory where things were pretty spotty. i was completely blown away last night. what a powerful performance! zach condon really must be getting off on all the praise.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2006 10:41 AM

i want to get zach condon off. he's precious.

they were really amazing last night. so glad to have seen them. bowery ballroom show is already sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2006 10:51 AM

Really fantastic. I usually don't like hearing new songs at a show...but I thought most of the new ones last night were great. So impressed.

Posted by BL | June 21, 2006 11:05 AM

i thought it was so amazing. i was really really hoping they were going to play the set again when zach joked that they didnt have anymore songs. i want to be there again.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2006 11:45 AM

the last set of tickets was given to the people right ahead of me. i can't tell you how much it hurt. actually, i can. it hurt like a mother hamster eating her young.

Posted by olga | June 21, 2006 1:01 PM

completely off topic BUT it happened AGAIN the weakerthan show sells out at bowery and gets moved to webster hall... WTF!

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2006 1:05 PM

Just in case anyone is planning on going to the 'Gallery TK' show that was supposed to be happenign in Northampton on Friday... I just heard from someone at the gallery and the show is not happening as of now :(

Here's their exact reply:

"Sorry, but Beirut is not playing at TK on Friday. Unfortunately, the kids arranging the show began advertising long before actually contacting me to be sure the date was available on our schedule and we already had something booked. We may be able to reschedule for a later date this month or move the show to another area venue that night, but I have yet to receive any further information."

Maybe Brooklyn Vegan can update the Beirut Tour Dates post with this info? I was about to make a three-hour drive to see them until I learned this.

I am very, very sad :(

Posted by Paul | June 21, 2006 2:21 PM

this kid really can do no wrong. and he doesn't open his eyes. when he makes music its like meditating. or something like that. so he says.

Posted by avi | June 21, 2006 2:32 PM

saying he can do no wrong is exactly what makes me not want to listen. but I do like it. onconditional love is tedious.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2006 3:08 PM

"when he referenced a blogger's review of his show at joe's pub, i just wanted to lean over and tell him that people are usually a little less open about googling themselves."

I wonder if that's my review he was referring to. Sweeeeeeeet

Posted by musicsnobbery | June 21, 2006 3:09 PM

He played 2 authentic Balkan songs one of them a gypsy song. I wonder if anyone knew...

Posted by balkan lover | June 21, 2006 3:34 PM

Did they play Shiki Shiki Ba Ba again?

Posted by Chris | June 21, 2006 3:47 PM

yes, they ended with it. everyone was talking about that song the most when they were leaving northsix.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2006 3:53 PM

yeah they did. they closed with it, before the encore. It's a good one.

Posted by jerry | June 21, 2006 3:55 PM

he introduced it as "here's a song i don't know the lyrics to." considering they'd just learned it a couple nights before i thought he (and the band) did great with it.

Posted by marty | June 21, 2006 4:43 PM

Sweet. Yeah, that song floored everyone at Sound Fix.

Speaking of Sound Fix, this youtube is great:

Posted by Chris | June 21, 2006 4:47 PM

Amazing amazing amazing.

I definitely need to have Zach Condon's babies ASAP.

Posted by A | June 21, 2006 9:23 PM

thanks for that link kathryn. good stuff. my pics and review from tuesday night are up: http://indie-licious.blog.com/828693/

Posted by marty | June 22, 2006 12:49 AM