Posted in music | pictures on July 16, 2006

I don't think I've ever had a bad time at the Siren Festival...

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

2006 Siren Festival

Photos, top to bottom: Art Brut, Serena Maneesh, Scissor Sisters, Tapes 'n Tapes w/ Miss New York, The Cribs, Man Man, Stars, The Stills, Scissor Sisters, the Cyclone

I was just upset that Scissor Sisters and Stars played at the same time, so I watched Scissor Sisters for a while, ran to the Stillwell stage to catch four Stars songs (just the fix I needed), then back to Scissor Sisters just in time to hear the crowd roaring. I thought maybe Elton John took the stage, but actually the applause was for the power coming back on. Ends up I only missed about 2 Scissor Sisters songs due to technical difficulties. Thank you technical difficulties.

More to come. Talk about it in the comments.

I was totally set on going but then decided I was to tired and that it was to hot. Maybe next year.

Posted by Daniil | July 16, 2006 1:43 AM

i agree with your first comment. Everyone complains about siren until their blue in the face and the day always turns out to be fantastic. Art Brut was great, sippin vino with brian eno. Serena Maneesh made me a fan. Riding the Cyclone is always a blast and hot dogs!! great, great day. I'm glad I camped out at the second stage all day. Better bands and lots of room.

Posted by Fat Man | July 16, 2006 1:46 AM

how can you enjoy a show when you're constantly snapping pictures?

Posted by nick | July 16, 2006 1:52 AM

I was there from 2 PM on and I thought it was the least entertaining of the Sirens I've been to (which was the last 3). The weather was great because it wasn't brutally hot. I believ eit was the overall quality of bands. It was alright but Art Brut is entertaining but after 3 songs you get the point. And I'm sorry but stars is not a headliner.

Tapes n' Tapes were probably the best sounding band. Serena Maneesh was alright. Stars and The Cribs were average. I was upset I missed most of Man Man. Why did I stop for gas!! Bring back Trail of the Dead, and how about some TV on the Radio!!

Posted by airo | July 16, 2006 1:54 AM

was it just me, or was the sound mix at the stillwell stage really awful?

Posted by ahnmin | July 16, 2006 2:02 AM

Yeah, we decided to go with Stars since camp was already set up at the [yes the mix was bad] stillwell stage. by the time we realized our error, it was too late to force our way through the crowds to get a glimpse of the Sisters. Man Man, Tapes 'n Tapes, Cribs and Art Brut individually would have made it better than last year.

Good times.

Posted by jy | July 16, 2006 2:20 AM

the sound mix at stillwell WAS terrible
i only saw two sisters song to catch stars and it was so disappointing. i mean they're good i was looking forward to them but the sound mix kinda killed it

the stills was great too
i thought this year's lineup was good.. last year's sucked (aside from spoon. go spoon)

Posted by evilchinadoll | July 16, 2006 2:39 AM

really nice pics

Posted by kewlio | July 16, 2006 2:49 AM

over at my blog i have snarky comments and pictures of the fest.

i think it's a given that siren @ coney island will always sound like poo poop.

also, did anyone else know that tracy ulman had a hit song in the 80's? it's not half bad. and she can surely sing. this was pre protools and auto tune so you know she had to BRING IT! soup...

Posted by laz | July 16, 2006 3:02 AM

i enjoyed myself thoroughly
interestingly, i had seen stars in providence last october and was not impressed (actually i felt that they were a little annoying), but this show completely changed my opionion.

also, there was a weird moment where i found myself on an N train to manhattan playing a martin backpacker guitar while my friend played pennywhistle. we played improvised irish jigs and our subway car was screaming for an encore (and unlike the stars, we actually gave one)

Posted by Luc | July 16, 2006 3:43 AM

oh that was YOU with that damned pennywhistle? Next stars concert PLEASE leave it home.

Posted by annoyed | July 16, 2006 4:21 AM

What would be nice if you could run back and forth between the stages and actually SEE than bands. Or better yet, HEAR them. But Art Brut killed, as usual. Overall a fun time!

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 8:20 AM

Thanks for the beautiful pics! I felt a tinge of sadness that I didn't go and thus didn' see Art Brut (even though I've seen them a ton of times).

There's always next year...how was Celebration?

Posted by camille remarkable | July 16, 2006 8:45 AM

I've seen Art Brut in concert THRICE! I've seen Art Brut in concert THRICE!

They were the highlight of my day. Whenever a band is having so much fun themselves, it's hard not to rock out yourself.

Posted by dee | July 16, 2006 8:48 AM

I got to the main stage just in time for Celebration, I lost interest after the first two songs, they really had no stage presence.

Art Brut were awesome and got the crowd going wild.

I stayed for Stars because I have no interest in camp (SS). They put on a decent show but the lead guy is pretty annoying as a performer.

Posted by kvetcher | July 16, 2006 9:54 AM

I need to know how Serena were this time. Did anyone go to their N6 show? Offer comparisons?

Posted by drowned_in_milk | July 16, 2006 10:13 AM

Man Man was the best of the day...

I'm disappointed Eddie from AB shaved his 'stache!

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 10:17 AM

a good, good time was had at Siren. I loved it as much as I love lamp.

pics as well on Fresh Bread

Posted by freshbread | July 16, 2006 10:27 AM

Yeha, where's Eddie's stache? That's part and parcel of the Art Brut lore.

Posted by Matt | July 16, 2006 10:30 AM

I've never had a great time at Siren. Everyone around me seemed to be under 14, wearing a hugely oversized backpack or 22 feet tall.

A note to 22 feet tall men: Please do not shove me to make room for your 24 foot friend. Dear 24 foot friend, please do not stand still during Art Brut, block my view and then burn me with a cigarette when you decide Argos' invitation to "Go start a band" somehow translates to "Have a smoke".

Still, Art Brut was tremendous. Stars sounded a little off, but I think that was the fault of the Little Hercules sound system.

Posted by Scott | July 16, 2006 11:17 AM

How can people actually complain about a free all day festival? They had decent bands who put on decent shows while you were free to roam around, check out the freaks and ride the cyclone. Like seriously how does one complain about siren? If you didn't have a good time it was probably because all you do is sit online making fun of every new band who comes out and you probably got really excited when tapes n tapes were announced to play siren but dissapointed in their live show.

Posted by Bloggo Boy | July 16, 2006 11:19 AM

In my defense, I had an okay time. I got exactly what I paid for. However, to abide the somewhat unbelivable behavior of the 90 foot moon creatures in front of me just because the show was free is a little dumb.

Posted by Scott | July 16, 2006 11:39 AM

hey short man, if you're a midget, get to the show early and hug the rail. don't hate because people are tall. and here's a news flash, people push and bump into one another and often times invade anothers personal space at a festival with general admission seating

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 12:16 PM

Siren is now about as interesting as going to a suburban mall filled with hessians. What a turn off in the end.

Posted by Jeff | July 16, 2006 12:17 PM

sufjan tickets on sale!

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 12:21 PM

i thought the festival was good -- the lineup was not as strong as in the past but there were a few good sounds and the overall vibe was great. i liked serena maneesh and the stills. was not impressed with tapes n tapes and celebration. these bands are god awful boring -- i mean, who will remember them in two years? i can't see myself ever wanting to put a tapes n' tapes album on.

the stills had a great full sound -- i can see them making it big someday. not like that is the metric of success but they have that arena rock sound.

serena maneesh was the best sound of the day. loved every moment of it. i didn't get a chance to see scissor sisters or the stars cuz my sister went into labor last night so i had the delight of seeing my niece for the very first time.

Posted by rush | July 16, 2006 12:47 PM

I'm not short and I did get there early. I don't mind people jostling and moving into position, but this 9 foot dude actually shoved me out of the way to make room for his friend. There's a difference between being opprotunistic and being a jackass.

Posted by Scott | July 16, 2006 12:47 PM

Siren blows, but I wish it were a week long-- it gives the rest of us a little vacation from all the area hipsters. Reminds me of what New York was like before everyone started trying so hard.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 1:33 PM

Priestess anyone? The only reason I attended!

Posted by OceanWomb | July 16, 2006 1:59 PM

to the short individual who was shoved, fair enough, fair enough. I too have been in a pit where someone has disregarded not just pit or general admission etiquette but all human etiquette. i stand corrected midget person.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 2:24 PM

art
brut
top of the pops

Posted by foster | July 16, 2006 2:27 PM

The sound on the stillwell stage WAS terrible, but I thought the muddyness worked for Serena-Maneesh - but then it became clear with other acts that something was definitely UP. The end of set tackle was pretty funny. Celebration were great too, but I don't know if I've ever thought otherwise from their live shows, so mine may not be the most discerning opinion.

Posted by tagalong | July 16, 2006 2:39 PM

Posted by tagalong | July 16, 2006 2:40 PM

Man Man were fantastic. After that, I ended up drinking most of the day at Ruby's. Came back for Art Brut, but I find their schtick boring after 3-4 songs. Overall great day. Perhaps next year they will start bringing back better bands.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 2:58 PM

Art Brut stole the show, and Amy Milan is a slob. WOOOOOOOOOOH

Posted by brian | July 16, 2006 3:04 PM

haha siren wasn't free - you know everyone dropped like fifty on those carnival games (...i shot the freak.)

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 3:07 PM

That must have been the seventh time I've seen Art Brut since last November (and I missed one of the Knitting Factory shows). Very few bands could play almost exactly the same setlist that many times and still be entertaining. But I've still never seen Eddie point in the right direction towards LA.

Thank god they finally put in a delay tower at the main stage so the people in the back could hear something. I thought the sound was good when I was there (Tapes and Stills). Stillwell could use a better system, but some of those bands and their engineers probably aren't used to playing/mixing outdoors. The Cribs are pretty much the easiest band in the world to mix so they sounded good. And Art Brut has an awesome engineer - both guitars, backing vocals, bass all sounded great. Everyone else sounded terrible, especially Dirty On Purpose. Way too much bass.

Posted by Ryan | July 16, 2006 4:44 PM

no mention of deadboy? y'all have to wake up earlier in the morning. good stuff....

Posted by tom | July 16, 2006 5:33 PM

hey annoyed, the rest of the subway car seemed to enjoy iy quite a bit! so fuck off.

Posted by Luc | July 16, 2006 5:45 PM

GREAT photos!!!

Posted by Nilina | July 16, 2006 5:52 PM

i thought scissor sisters and art brut were most def the highlights of the night.

Posted by m | July 16, 2006 5:59 PM

the lineup in comparison to the past few years was terrible, but it IS free.
however, to be up front for scissor sisters i had to endure the UTTER PAIN of she wants revenge. never again.

Posted by erika! | July 16, 2006 6:06 PM

This was my first Siren and I loved it! Wonderful lineup, great energy, fantastic music (at least on the Stillwell stage). The pictures are fabulous. I have a question- were you up front where the other Village Voicers were? Sorry for prying. Anyway, beautiful pictures from a great day :-)

Posted by Lee | July 16, 2006 7:29 PM

Glad I was there early for Priestess. They whipped the llama's ass real good. Was very sorry I watched more than 15 seconds of Celebration. That was truly horrific.

Posted by Glenn | July 16, 2006 9:24 PM

Celebration probably didn't have any "stage presence" because that guitarist was doing a lot of things at once. I thought they were incredible, and the weather during their set was perfect! And I think Katrina Ford is an awesome front-woman. Her heavy breathing in the mic is great. IMHO, they were one of the best acts that performed this year. Art Brut was great, too.

Posted by Phil | July 16, 2006 10:55 PM

celebration is terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2006 11:21 PM

Just moved to NY, so it was my first Siren Fest. Was really excited to see Tapes N Tapes and She Wants Revenge...but decided I like them better on my i-tunes. I found myself rather bored with them. The only band which I can say that I really *loved* was deadboy and the Elephantmen. I'd never heard of them before. But I'd say that besides the Scissor Sisters, they were the highlight of the day. It's a shame more people weren't around to hear their set. Either way, fun filled day and I'll be going back next year.

Posted by Moi | July 16, 2006 11:35 PM

I've got so many photos (250+ of the day) and a bunch will be going up to Flickr tomorrow evening. I wish I could have been in the media 'pit' like the photographer for this site obviously was :( I stayed at the Stillwell Stage the whole time because I wanted to see Man Man, Art Brut and Stars... and since I wasn't switching back and forth I got pretty good position up front. The sound was messed up - it seemed like they would finally get it right about 2 songs into a set, only to screw it up again for the next group.

Luc - you and your buddy were awesome on the N train. It was like a second concert for the night! I've never had a more enjoyable train ride. For those of you that weren't there - the entire (packed) car was going insane, pounding on the ceiling and chanting 'one more song one more song' until the demands were met. You could see people in the cars to either end of ours looking in like 'what the hell is happening in there?!' To have the entire car enjoying it was pretty cool :D

Posted by Paul | July 16, 2006 11:46 PM

A video I took of Art Brut singing 'Modern Art', and the lead singer coming into the crowd:

Posted by Paul | July 17, 2006 12:07 AM

I thought the lineup was great. I actually found it relatively easy to move back and forth between the stages and still manage to work my way towards the front and get a good spot. The highlights for me were Man Man, Tapes 'n Tapes, Art Brut, and Stars...even if the sounds was off, I always enjoy seeing Stars. Art Brut was just as highly entertaining as always, T 'n T looked like they were having a blast and sounded good, too, and I'd never seen Man Man before, so that was a fun experience.

Apart from the girl with the huge umbrella standing in front of me in front during Tapes 'n Tapes who seemed fairly intent on taking out people's eyes and being insanely squashed when the firetruck?ambulance? drove through the middle of the crowd during Stars (does anyone know what happened?), it was all highly enjoyable.

Posted by di | July 17, 2006 12:10 AM

paul, if you have, or know anyone who has pictures of that impromptu concert, that would be totally rad, as my partner in crime and i are vaguely inspired to make some recordings, or at least get some kind of memento of the event

Posted by Luc | July 17, 2006 12:19 AM

New album of Feist remixes, "Open Season," available for streaming at AOL Music:

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2006 2:11 AM

my first siren and i must say i can't wait till next year. the best for me was deadboy and the elephantmen. what a rack on the drummer! the weather was great as was the strictly vegetarian food booth. falafel sandwichs, yummy.

Posted by soulmonk69 | July 17, 2006 6:38 AM

First siren fest, and me and my friends who'd never been to coney island were noobs about it and didnt realize 2 stages existed so missed a shit load of bands. I really enjoyed deadboy and the elephant men.

Posted by tj | July 17, 2006 6:59 AM

I think the name Dirty of Purpose is a slight misnomer. They should definately change it to Shitty on Purpose.

Posted by A-Hole | July 17, 2006 9:25 AM

I think the name Dirty on Purpose is a slight misnomer. They should definately change it to Shitty on Purpose.

Posted by A-Hole | July 17, 2006 9:25 AM

I think the band name Dirty on Purpose is a slight misnomer. They should definitely change it to Shitty on Purpose.

Posted by Ahole | July 17, 2006 9:27 AM

i went tubing in the catskills...and then had a bbq...but we did listen to art brut on the hi-fi.

Posted by sam | July 17, 2006 9:51 AM

Paul, thanks for the video!

I really don't understand how anyone managed to shove their way to the front. People were packed in really tight. Also, isn't it rude to shove your way in front of people who were there before you, patiently waiting (and suffering through She Wants Revenge)?

To the person who got shoved by the mutant tall freaks - I hear you. A guy shoved me out of the way so his girlfriend could see. I guess that's nice for her but not nice for me. I didn't even do anything, I just said "hey!" and he screamed at me and hit me with his monstrous backpack.

I went to a show at Summerstage yesterday and was amazed at how polite and considerate people were. I think indie rockers have no manners and are de-evolving into cavemen. That might be harsh but I am getting sick of going to shows and being beaten, shoved, yelled at, stomped on, and having my view blocked by mutant tall freaks - and never hearing one person say "excuse me." They all have a massive sense of entitlement. It's really sickening.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2006 9:54 AM

I thought the Stills were great and have a sound that could make them huge. They are one Brian Eno produced record away from it. Then again I am one Brian Eno produced record from being huge.

Art Brut was great. Havin a Stella with Paul Wella.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2006 10:06 AM

totonno's was the highlight of my stomach intake

Posted by thigh master | July 17, 2006 10:16 AM

Siren all day on Saturday, Amadou & Miriam free on Sunday at Summerstage made for an awesome weekend of free music.

Diplo Thursday night!

Posted by Nineteen-ninety-never | July 17, 2006 10:22 AM

awesome shots... i got some good ones also...
check them out http://www.flickr.com/photos/dankster/sets/72157594201003413/

Posted by drazin | July 17, 2006 10:57 AM

awesome shots... i got some good ones also...
check them out http://www.flickr.com/photos/dankster/sets/72157594201003413/

Posted by drazin | July 17, 2006 10:57 AM

The Stills were definitly the best sounding band I saw. The singers harmonies were on point. I love Stars, but the sound was horrible. The bass drum was so ridiculously loud, it overrode everything else.

While Tapes 'n Tapes sounded pretty good, I have to say I'm really not a fan. Their songs are all over the place and for the most part seem full of gratuitous parts that don't seem to go anywhere, without any real hooks. Maybe that's just their live show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2006 11:16 AM

Man Man stole the show. yes yes yes.
although Stars seemed like they were having an off night or something, i still love em with all my heart.

but damn... Man Man!

Posted by nopenopenope | July 17, 2006 12:55 PM

yes Man Man was fascinating. Number 1!

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2006 1:39 PM

Funny how nobody mentioned how crappy She Wants Revenge were. They had ZERO charisma and didn't address the crowd at all. I'd say their set was exactly the opposite of Art Brut.

Posted by roosterocker | July 17, 2006 5:25 PM

she wants revenge was terrible.

tapes n' tapes really suck too

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2006 6:29 PM

i wants a new sound

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2006 11:51 PM

"Funny how nobody mentioned how crappy She Wants Revenge were."

Maybe most people who frequent this site knew well enough to stay away. Now, if you posted that on a She Wants Revenge message board you'd probably get a few poorly-spelled death threats.

Posted by Ryan | July 17, 2006 11:58 PM

She Wants Revenge= Weird Al fronting Interpol cover band

Posted by me | July 18, 2006 12:17 AM

Re: the rudeness of the mutants and other members of the audience

Is the behavior that bad at gen. adm. shows that aren't free, such as the benefit Summer Stage shows? I imagine someone who has paid decent scratch would be even more pissed off at shit like that.

Speaking of mutants: In that picture above, the bassist of Serena Mareesh looks like her face is made of plastic.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2006 4:04 AM

Why all the hate for tall people? Don't hate others just because you are physically inferior.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2006 8:42 AM

it seems man man were the near-unanimous act of the day...i must concur, they are always fantastic, although art brut were a close second. eddie argos and company are very rapidly becoming legitimate stars in nyc. pics and stuff at my site.

Posted by marty | July 18, 2006 9:16 AM

My photos are up on Flickr, for anyone still interested:

I have lots of Man Man and Art Brut... a few of Priestess and Stars.

Posted by Paul | July 18, 2006 1:49 PM

Luc, I put away my camera before getting on the subway so I have no photos myself :( I did find two photos of you on Flickr last night, though. I'm at work right now - I'll try to find them again and post them here when I get home.

Posted by Paul | July 18, 2006 1:56 PM

was it just me, or did the crowd smell unusually funky? maybe it was that 4 pm rain.

Posted by Steve M. | July 18, 2006 2:36 PM

this year's Siren was the worst one to date. What's up with all of the shitty bands? As each year passes by, I ask my self "why am I here?" I can only hope for a better line up next year.

Posted by Angry Man | July 18, 2006 2:42 PM

ate a delicious giant chili cheese dog from nathan's, got some awesome whiplash from the cyclone (sit in the back always) and watched the human blockhead over at the freak show hammer nails in his nose. then priestess! beats the shit out of webster hall, alls i'm sayin.

Posted by James | July 18, 2006 8:28 PM

Ok, for Luc, here's what I found (these are not my photo):

They don't exactly capture the full-effect, but it's better than nothing. :D

Posted by paul | July 18, 2006 10:47 PM

man...i can't get over the hate for celebration. i wasn't anywhere near siren but i've seen celebration a bunch of times, and followed them as birdland, lovelife etc.

to hear that they had no stage presence astounds me. katrina ford never fails to blow me away. then again i have only seen this band in tiny clubs and bars around baltimore. perhaps you need a more intimate setting to appreciate them.

Posted by balmer | July 20, 2006 9:22 AM

Scissor Sisters blew my mind once again. They are excited and exciting and kept the crowd dancing, even during the power outage. Which is a lot more than I can say for She Wants Revenge, who thought they were too cool for school.

Posted by pretty damn rosy | July 21, 2006 1:02 AM

The Cribs were ace. dead simple punk rock, but with some of the best pop songs ever, sounded like a mix of The Undertones and The Buzzcocks. Really contrasted to Serena Maneesh who played before them and were also excellent. The sound on the 2nd stage was awful, but these two triumphed despite that and were the highlights of the day by far

Posted by billytheman | July 23, 2006 7:18 AM