Posted in NYC | music | tour dates on August 29, 2006

David Byrne and Freak Folk

The David Byrne curated "Perspectives" series at Carnegie Hall will run four nights: February 1- 4, 2007. In addition to the Imelda Marcos musical written in collaboration with Fatboy Slim, and the bill of Alarm Will Sound, Camille, and Haale, David will host a night of "freak folk" featuring Devendra Banhart, Vashti Bunyan, Vetiver, Adem, and even CocoRosie. Antony is curiously missing from the bill, but thats probably because Antony doesn't need David Byrne to do Carnegie Hall, or Lou just wouldn't let David have him. Sunn 0))) didn't make the cut either. Here's the complete schedule....

----

The Knee PlaysThursday, February 1, 2007 at 9:00 PM
David Byrne: Songs from The Knee Plays @ Zankel Hall

David Byrne opens his Perspectives with the first performance in 15 years of the complete music from The Knee Plays, his 1985 music-theater collaboration with Robert Wilson.

Friday, February 2, 2007 at 8:00 PM
Welcome to Dreamland @ Isaac Stern Auditorium w/ Adem, Devendra Banhart, Vashti Bunyan, CocoRosie, and Vetiver. Introduced by David Byrne

A new, experimental form of folk rock has emerged in recent years—with roots in ’60s psychedelia, ’90s jam bands, electronica, and a number of world music traditions. For this concert, David Byrne brings some of both the genre’s creators and their predecessors to Carnegie Hall.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 8:00 PM
David Byrne: Songs from Here Lies Love @ Isaac Stern Auditorium

David Byrne and his band perform selections from his new multimedia song cycle written in collaboration with DJ Fatboy Slim—Here Lies Love. The songs invoke the life of Imelda Marcos, the former First Lady of the Philippines, and the servant who raised her.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 7:30 PM
One Note @ Zankel Hall w/ Alarm Will Sound (Alan Pierson, Artistic Director and Conductor), Camille, Haale, and artists TBA. Introduced by David Byrne

A central tone or note is the thread that weaves together the wide array of composition and performance styles on this program—from classical to Iranian, liturgical to post rock—all having the musical concept of a central axis as a foundation.

----

* Adem played Joe's Pub last night, and is going on tour with Juana Molina soon

* Juana Molina is recording with Devendra Banhart

* Vashti Bunyan is touring the United States in September

* CocoRosie are playing the Touch & Go Festival

----

Sufjan Stevens recently joined David Byrne on stage. Here's what David had to say about it...

I asked Sufjan via e-mail if he wanted to do “Saginaw Michigan”, the song made famous by Lefty Frizzell, with me. (I thought many would think he wrote it for his Michigan-themed CD. I wonder if anyone fell for it?) He agreed and I sent him an MP3, chords and lyrics.

David Byrne was at the Adem show last night.
The show itself was amazing.

Posted by Matt | August 29, 2006 12:30 PM

with all due respect for, like, art and all that, how about doin a "normal" show for us, db? give the people what they want

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2006 12:32 PM

That looks like a really great night of music. I wonder if David was checking out Vetiver for this when he attend their show at Tonic.

Posted by danfun | August 29, 2006 12:33 PM

db's summerstage show last year was fairly normal. i mean he played a bunch o the hits.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2006 12:35 PM

Sunn 0))) sounds nothing like these other bands

the fact that you mentioned them makes me think you've never heard them

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2006 4:41 PM

"the fact that you mentioned them makes me think you've never heard them"

If you clicked the link associated with that statement, you'd have seen what David Byrne wrote back in June:

"Saw Sunn0))), the minimal metal band, last night. Last Sunday there was a huge article about them in the NY Times which I suspect might dash my hopes for them joining the lineup for one of the nights at Carnegie Hall I’m curating next Feb."

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 29, 2006 5:31 PM

Nameless commenter, you just got served!

Posted by oh snap | August 29, 2006 6:13 PM

am I missing info for tickets or is it just not up yet??

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2006 10:54 AM

Tickets are on sale September 14.

Posted by danfun | August 30, 2006 11:09 AM

I don't see why Sunn 0))) gets a mention in this
'freak folk' post, regardless of what Byrne said

Seems pretty irrelevant

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2006 1:29 PM

I don't see why Sunn 0))) gets a mention in this
'freak folk' post either, regardless of what Byrne said

Seems pretty irrelevant

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2006 1:29 PM

I don't see why Sunn 0))) gets a mention in this
'freak folk' post either, regardless of what Byrne said

Seems pretty irrelevant

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2006 1:31 PM

i don't see antony as particularly "freak folk" either, nevermind the sunn thing, which is bizarre as well. it sounds like "trendy music night" to me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2006 1:38 PM

I don't see why anonymous commenters pretend to be two different people in the same post.

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 30, 2006 1:39 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2006 1:46 PM

Seems like an all-star cast to me. I hope to be there.

Posted by drewo | August 30, 2006 1:51 PM

Well, it took a half-hour and day to get through to the website, but I was able to secure nice seats for the Freak Folk (Welcome To Dreamland) spectacular on Feb. 2.

Posted by drewo | September 14, 2006 11:43 AM

That seems to be an unbelievably great bill, I wish I could go. Long live Devendra! Rise of the 21st century counter-culturist, bring back peace. Hair peace, bed peace. Folk, Frak-folk!! Those cats would be so groovy to see.

Posted by Aldous Huxley | July 30, 2007 6:33 AM