Posted in MP3 | music | pictures on August 14, 2006

DOWNLOAD: Giga Dance (MP3)

Wow, there's a lot of hate in the air. I thought yesterday (Sunday, August 13, 2006) was a beautiful (la la la la) day full of great-AND-free music at McCarren Pool. I thought Deerhoof especially entertained with their intense drum beats, catchy-poppy-danceable songs, and fun-to-watch-and-listen-to frontwoman, but others who I talked to at the Pool and in the comments (here & here) said that Beirut, and then Deerhoof (minus one), "sucked". Has the Beirut backlash begun? Expectations too high? Are Deerhoof to weird to be playing in front of 7000 people, many of whom probably had no idea what to expect? Should we be more worried about this Beirut, and not this Beirut? Am I too tired today to be writing anything coherent? (yes)

Deerhoof @ McCarren Pool

Deerhoof @ McCarren Pool

Deerhoof @ McCarren Pool

Great post

Posted by Mo! | August 14, 2006 4:50 PM

i really enjoyed deerhoof's set, and the crowd near where i was up front was into it (or acting convincingly). but yeah, maybe some people stumbled in driven by the show's mention in tons of "to do this weekend" lists without knowing what to expect, or without an open mind? i mean, they're entitled to their opinions...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 5:01 PM

Deerhoof blew me away on Sunday. I remember sitting down waiting for them to start, the DJ is spinning and then hearing "Bunny Bunny Bunny Bunny ...". I stood up and saw the lead singer hopping around the stage. Nice. Yes at times the drummer was a bit sloppy, but he made up for it in intensity. The set was good, though I do wish they had played O'Malley, Former Underdog. Beruit was a nice suprise and by the end of their set I was impressed. For anyone who hasn't been to McCarren Pool check out a show before the summer is over, it's an awesome venue. Nice weather, Hot Dogs (vegan friendly), Ice Cream and Free Music. Good Times.

Posted by Joe | August 14, 2006 5:06 PM

you are never short of good pictures man... they make anyone wish to have been there...

Posted by Eduardo | August 14, 2006 5:12 PM

I don't really understand why people are hating on Deerhoof's set - they were lovely! Seriously, they totally slayed and they played a good set especially since their guitarist just like...quit a few weeks ago.

Posted by Jamie | August 14, 2006 5:13 PM

Deerhoof rocked it out yesterday at the pool. I'm actually a big fan of Beirut and have seen them before. But Zach has to throw that guy with the red shirt out of the band. He just doesn't fit in and seems to be an egomaniac....

Posted by Kvetcher | August 14, 2006 5:27 PM

Posted by kvetcher | August 14, 2006 5:29 PM

Posted by kvetcher | August 14, 2006 5:31 PM

I was there for pretty much the whole thing on Sunday, and I can with confidence that Deerhoof were excellent. I'd never even heard them before Sunday, but I like experimental (or maybe just weird) music, so I really enjoyed their set. I think the McCarren Pool Parties are attracting an element that are more out to "make the scene" then enjoy the neighborhood and (perhaps) discover some new music. This theory developed in my head as I was walking through the park on Saturday night, while SY and the YYYs were playing, and saw an element I hate to see in Brooklyn: that element that would never come to Brooklyn other than for some big "event"-type thing like the Pool Parties.

Posted by Hunter Slaton | August 14, 2006 5:31 PM

Posted by Hunter Slaton | August 14, 2006 5:33 PM

Posted by Hunter Slaton | August 14, 2006 5:38 PM

apollo sunshine sucks balls!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 5:43 PM

Like I said in the post about Beirut. I thought Deerhoof were the best band of the day. I also agree with kvetcher's comment about about the guy in the red shirt in Beirut. He came as a complete dumbass.

Posted by danfun | August 14, 2006 5:44 PM

I'm sorry I missed this show. I saw Deerhoof play for a crowd of 8,300+ when they opened for Radiohead in Berkeley a few months ago, and they were great.

Posted by Qbertplaya | August 14, 2006 5:58 PM

Deerhoof is unstoppable. They are sort of a litmus test as to whether a concert goer is actually interested in exciting music, for my tastes. They were great Sunday. They and Beirut are a breath of fresh air in the indie scene, which can be quite redundant at times. I also agree about that stupid fuck in the red shirt.

Posted by lee | August 14, 2006 6:02 PM

I thought the whole day was absolutely brilliant. Beautiful pictures btw. I thought Beirut was great and yeah, the guy in the red shirt was obnoxious and didn't know what he was talking about but he's, what, 19? I was an obnoxious prat when I was 19 too...well maybe not that much.

Posted by Jen | August 14, 2006 6:04 PM

Posted by Jen | August 14, 2006 6:06 PM

also, Beirut is still better than your band.

Posted by lee | August 14, 2006 6:09 PM

continue with the incoherency pleaz. for our entertainment, never sleep again.

Posted by yeti | August 14, 2006 6:13 PM

Deerhoof was great, so much fun to watch and listen to. I loved when the drummer had to duck way down when he spoke into the mic.
Beirut was totally lame. You would think with such a large ensemble and variety of instruments that the music would be somewhat interesting - but it was not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 6:17 PM

was Beirut's violinist Rachel Dratch from SNL?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 6:20 PM

what! she looked nothing like rachel dratch haha.

and what are you all bitching about? 1i thought that kid in the red shirt & shades was very alive and entertaining. i mean, yeah beirut fuckin rocked, but how much could they move around on stage with those instruments? the kid in the red shirt added some dynamic to the visual performance and was pretty entertaining. i thought it was pretty funny when beirut finished, he came down to teh front of the crowd , gave away the setlist and started highfiving everyone.

deerhoof were never my cup o tea, just a little too strange for me i guess, but they were very very entertaining nonetheless, i loved the stage antics and dancing.

Posted by mike d | August 14, 2006 6:28 PM

i find deerhoof mildy offensive, or maybe just the fan reaction. she's just a fetish object in front of a fully capable band. it's blackface in a way, however ironic or non-ironic it's supposed to be.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 6:29 PM

Posted by just some dude | August 14, 2006 6:30 PM

Posted by some guy at the show | August 14, 2006 6:32 PM

Posted by someone at the show | August 14, 2006 6:33 PM

i dont know - i thought it was a guy and from where i was it looked just like SNLs harry potter

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 6:34 PM

Posted by someone at the show | August 14, 2006 6:35 PM

deerhoof sucks and always has sucked. don't believe the hype.

Posted by yourmom | August 14, 2006 6:44 PM

i find deerhoof mildly offensive, or maybe just the fan reaction. she's just a fetish object in front of a fully capable band. it's blackface in a way, however ironic or non-ironic it's supposed to be.

Posted by someone at the show | August 14, 2006 6:47 PM

I love Deerhoof
*****************
I love Deerhoof
**************
I love Deerhoof

Posted by Mo! | August 14, 2006 7:57 PM

Wow! Those are great pics...you really captured their energy! It is completely understandable that Deerhoof is a "love it or hate it band." I've listened to some of their material, loved it, and their live show surely didn't disappoint.

However, they do sound weird and they aren't really accessible. I was with someone who pretty much likes all things Japanese and goes to a lot of shows as well, and he thought they were pretty bad.

I had no idea what Beirut would sound like, but they were unique and enjoyable to watch. People shouldn't complain too much, since both bands are capable of headlining a venue like Bowery Ballroom AND selling it out. Let's not forget that this was a FREE show!

Posted by Eric | August 14, 2006 7:59 PM

Hey does anyone know if you can buy tickets in person at the Pool shows?

Posted by Bob | August 14, 2006 9:03 PM

i was wondering... anyone out there have any thoughts about the ironic quasi-blackface element of the fetish-object singer?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 9:35 PM

hey does anyone want to ask stephin merritt about the ironic quasi-blackface element of the fetish-object singer? cause he would probably know what that string of words even means.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2006 9:48 PM

It was an amazing day and I gushed about it with photos. Also, I summoned my ancient 21 skills and sunk the Apollo Sunshine free throw...Guess it's all downhill from here.

Posted by Max Power | August 14, 2006 10:23 PM

Yeah I guess Yoko Ono was nothing but a fetish object for the John Lennon and shit too.

Christ, how condescending a comment is that to Satomi?! Yeah, she sings about bunnies and pandas, but it's not like Shonen Knife or something. She's been an integral part of the band since day one. Listen to the music a little.

Deerhoof are the best band in rock today. No question.

Posted by Jon | August 14, 2006 10:53 PM

best band in rock without question? wow. ok if you say so...

i don't think it's fair to compare satomi to yoko ono and deerhoof's fans to john lennon

deerhoof is very much like shonen knife. that's a good comparison!

Posted by really? | August 14, 2006 11:55 PM

quasi-ironic yoko blackface bunny fetish object popping out of hairy lips. pandas!

Posted by stephen merritt | August 15, 2006 12:50 AM

i think the dude in the red shirt from beirut was great. why are you old hipsters so adverse to fun? the dude was a walking party, and actually got the crowd stoked for 5 minutes during the day.

Posted by nick | August 15, 2006 2:32 AM

They are a litmus test. Whoever said that, I agree.

I saw them at Bowery and before they played, a woman screened some arty films that most of the genuine Deerhoof fans appreciated, but that the others and one heckler in particular, were bored and or offended by. The lineup that night made sense and was a nice break from the normal band-band-band-band evening. And it was a cheap show. I don't see where the offense was.

As for this weekend I can understand seeing bands you've never heard play before, but Deerhoof's been around. People should have known what they were getting into. And if it annoyed them, it was a nice day, and there were plenty of places to sit in the parks outside the pool. Deerhoof isn't big enough to hate, as far as I'm concerned. They give their songs away. And Beirut's a really promising new talent. What does it take to satisfy some of you people? I'd like to know what percentage of hate comments on here are written by struggling musicians.

Posted by JH | August 15, 2006 12:41 PM

Satomi is not nearly as much of a "fetish object" as Karen O.

However, this entire way of thinking doesn't make any sense. Do you want musicians to dress in rags and cardboard boxes so you can't see what they look like? Must all music make sense or have easily interpreted meaning?

Posted by MikeJA | August 15, 2006 2:36 PM

satomi = jackie chan? i don't mean that in a racist way, but the way their respective audiences percieve them. they're both very successfull, but i cringe everytime i see them...

Posted by well | August 15, 2006 3:20 PM

"Must all music make sense or have easily interpreted meaning?"

No, but it should be listenable and have some melody in it. You know what I'm talking about, music!

Take away Satomi and this band wouldn't have nearly the hype behind it.

Posted by Dan | August 15, 2006 3:27 PM

And if Antony was straight?

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2006 4:34 PM

he's gay?

Posted by gaydar | August 15, 2006 5:09 PM

hey !
nice to see you around here, and that's pretty nice too you're a vegan !
congratulations for your blog, i really like it & i like deerhoof as well

so , keep up this good blog

cheers,

carlos

Posted by carlos thomas | August 15, 2006 11:57 PM

Remind me to never click through to a comments page on this site again. Can't people just go to a show and have a good time?

And by the way, you all should know that Clell Tickle was spotted at the show (for real), so you all might be careful about what you say if you care about the health of your pets or -- if you don't have any pets -- the weakest member of your family.

Posted by Boss | August 16, 2006 1:32 AM

i found the day thoroughly enjoyable although i missed harlem shakes. the best thing about any of these shows has to be when bk posts his pics. i think that the majority of the time they're better than the music. all the duplicate posts (server hiccup?) on this site blow though.

Posted by deaconcrane | August 16, 2006 2:53 AM

deerhoof were great and they rocked.

a friend said he didn't like them as much because they're more of a rock band now. maybe so, but deerhoof is one of the most interesting and original bands on the scene. i'm glad they make a few people gag and say moronic things.

the last time i saw them was 4-5 years ago in oakland, ca at a dingy place called the stork club. they didn't really play songs then. it confused most everyone, but it rocked, too.

Posted by lucio loud | August 16, 2006 10:12 AM

ps: i made a decent recording of the deerhoof set. if anyone wants a cdr email me :)

Posted by lucio loud | August 16, 2006 10:57 AM

i guess you liked deerhoof in the same way your japanimation DVD's blow your mind.

no one goes after blonde redhead like this. it's very specific to deerhoof. moronic? i don't think it's always 'just music'. you're reading a critical blog, who just called kweli's show a 'failure'. 'it's just a book! a book is supposed to be enjoyable and that's it!' uh...

anyway i saw deerhoof back in those days too. nothing has changed...

Posted by robert | August 16, 2006 11:56 AM

anyway i saw deerhoof back in those days too. nothing has changed...

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2006 11:59 AM

I've tried to like Deerhoof...i really have. Numerous times too!!! I think they are ridiculous.. i cant get into them. I mean, 2 elements that clash.. sloppy-but-ok rock music and.. and too-cute-too-high-pitched voice noises?!?! not my cup of tea. Needless to say, my friend and i left not even halfway in.

On the other hand, Beirut was so good. i've wanted to see them for a while...I was 20 feet away from Zach, my love. and Hey, yeah the red shirt guy (paul) was cocky, but i liked him. He kind of reminded me of owen wilson though. Beirut was amazing.. i dont know what you guys were talking about it. I almost died.

Posted by Kira | August 17, 2006 10:42 PM

kira, you are a moron!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2006 8:21 PM

thats not cool, kid.

Posted by kira | August 18, 2006 11:36 PM

thats not cool, kid.

Posted by kira | August 18, 2006 11:37 PM

thats not cool, kid.

Posted by kira | August 18, 2006 11:37 PM

thats not cool, kid.

Posted by kira | August 18, 2006 11:39 PM

By claiming that the music this girl pours her heart into is blackface simply bc she happens to be Asian...YOURE the ones make the point of it. So YOURE the ones being racist and not looking past her ethnicity. Sorry but its true.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2007 1:00 AM

Deerhoof is horrible. Their music is not only weird for the sake of weird, but it's completely lacking in anything remotely appealing. It doesn't inspire, it doesn't revitalize your perception of life, it doesn't even sound fun! Of course the hipsters will derive all sorts of made-up meaning from it, but the bottom line is that music like this is total shit.

Posted by don't buy the bullshit | April 2, 2009 4:12 PM

Deerhoof sucks. The epitome of hipster crap.

Posted by Rob | January 29, 2011 3:39 AM

DEERHOOF sucks ass! Her voice is so fucking annoying! What were the other members thinking when they have this woman as the lead signer, "oh yeah her voice is really lovely! Fuck NO!!. Song "81" for example I hate. Why people think listening to her butchered english and annoying pitched voice is somewhat talented! Fuck Deerhoof, I hope they stop playing very soon!! Jesus christ it's like listening to Yoko Ono.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2014 3:25 PM