Posted in music | pictures on September 12, 2006

FANS OF NEGATIVE APPROACH @ TOUCH & GO BLOCK PARTY | SEPT 9, 2006

BIG BLACK'S STEVE ALBINI @ TOUCH & GO BLOCK PARTY | SEPT 9, 2006
Touch and go Festival

"...Seven thousand fans — ranging in age from 12 to 62, but largely sporting more-obscure-than-thou tees — packed two outdoors stages at the Hideout, located fittingly enough in one of the city's most industrial areas. Thirty-two acts threw down over the course of 25 hours, from the Shipping News' math-rockin' 5 p.m. set Friday up through Calexico's water-logged feast that wrapped up the once-in-a-lifetime gala by 10 p.m. Sunday...." [MTV]

"...The Hideout block party was several times its normal size, and all weekend Tim was running around doing everything from fixing toilets to snagging working amps when things went wrong. He was a one-man crew, and I reminded him that my VIP bracelet had both a "10" and a "25" on it. "25" for the Touch and Go anniversary, but "10" for the number of years the Hideout has held its block party. He seemed genuinely touched but also proud like a new papa..." [Basement Patter]

"...First, let us take a look at who was not at the festival: Blonde Redhead, TV on the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs – three of the most powerful indie rock bands to come around in the past decade. Now let’s look at who was there: Arcwelder, Didjits, The Monorchid. Yeah, I don’t know who they are either...." [Apneic]

Continued below...

"Then came Pegboy who were hilarious and easily the most fun band of the weekend. The lead singer proclaimed his complete drunkenness, at 2PM, at the outset of their set, and flipped us all off." [Mr Webbington]

1:50pm Pegboy

Touch and go Festival

2:35pm Tim & Andy (Silkworm)

2:55pm The Ex

3:50pm Killdozer

Touch and go Festival

4:35pm Jon & Kat (Mekons/The Ex)

4:55pm Didjits

6:00pm Negative Approach

6:30pm Sally Timms

6:50pm Scratch Acid

"Scratch Acid was awesome." [Causing Accidents]

7:45pm Man…or Astroman?

8:40pm Big Black

Touch and go Festival

"I know you’re probably wondering, what’s the big deal? Believe me, it was cooler in the ‘80s.” - Steve Albini

9:00pm Shellac

Touch and go Festival

All photos by Edwina Hay for BrooklynVegan.com. You know her on Flickr as eatsdirt.

Download 29 Touch & Go MP3s and check out the full festival schedule.

Day one photos are here. Day three photos coming soon.

Videos on YouTube.

Tags: Touch and Go

Awesome pics.

Negative Approach's OP Moore plays with his new rootsy band MOORE N SONS (he's the singer and songwriter) at Union Hall in Brooklyn on Thursday night. FINAN McKEAN plays too.

Posted by Jack | September 12, 2006 2:57 PM

Ha, I love the review at Apneic or whatever lame blog that is. haven't heard of arcwelder or the monorchid? so sorry that shitty bands like tvor and yyys were neglected while big black,scratch acid, negative approach reunions made my year. piss off, new jack!
what an amazin wknd!

Posted by Pdog | September 12, 2006 5:08 PM

WHERE ARE YOUR PICTURES OF THE MOMORCHID!!!!!!!!!!
GET WITH IT BV!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2006 5:20 PM

you get with it. they played Sunday. this post is Saturday.

Posted by brooklynvegan | September 12, 2006 5:28 PM

tell em bv!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2006 5:49 PM

tell em bv!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2006 5:51 PM

Great shots of Andy (Silkworm,) but where's Tim?

I know they've been playing as Bottomless Pit, but was this the first (and possibly only) time they played a Silworm set since Michael's tragic death?

Posted by drake | September 12, 2006 5:52 PM

Great shots of Andy (Silkworm,) but where's Tim?

Tim played with his back to the crowd the entire time. The shots with him in it, I wasn't too happy with.

Posted by edwina | September 12, 2006 6:37 PM

I also agreed with Albini's comment about how many people neglect the bands that were around between the Sex Pistols and Nirvana.
The Apneic post is a prime example of people ignorant of the history of indie music.
I loved seeing the Ex guitarist bleeding from his fingers, and giant penis during Killdozer's "King of Sex"! As devout cheeseheads, Killdozer also called out the FIBs (fucking Illinois bastards).
It was quite a weekend.

Posted by 1000yregg | September 12, 2006 7:13 PM

To say that you have never heard of Arcwelder, Didjits, and The Monorchid is bad enough. To complain that you didn't get to see TVOTR, YYYs, and Blonde Redhead just sends it over the top. Those bands are active and someone in Chicago has had and will continue to have numerous opportunities to see them play live. Seeing bands like Big Black, Negative Approach, and a host of others is an opportunity that no one will ever have again. What an ingrate. It's a shame that she took up a spot at the show that someone else who would have truly appreciated it could have had.

Posted by Jim | September 12, 2006 8:02 PM

Yeah Yeah Yeahs and TV on the Radio didn't play because neither band is still on Touch and Go

I doubt the Butthole Surfers were invited, either

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2006 10:42 PM

Great pictures, it feels like I was there...

Posted by Loud Is Relative | September 12, 2006 11:02 PM

monorchid on fri night was amazing...

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2006 11:49 PM

wow...amazing snaps, especially of negative approach and their fans - i can almost smell the meth!

we must have been rubbing shoulders with you in the photo pit all weekend. we wrote up the fest but our pictures are still being processed down at the k-mart. hopefully we'll put them up in the next day or so (timedoor.textdriven.com).

no meat til brooklyn!
chaka

Posted by chaka | September 13, 2006 1:31 AM

Not to be a T&G curmudgeon, but that's Santiago from Big Black amongst the Shellac photos (#6 I think - the guy in short pants.) Being a bit shorter, I didn't have the clearest vantage of their set - did he come out and play with them after the initial 4 B'Black tunes?

Whoever asked "Why don't you like CDs?" during Shellac's typical question & answer period should be smacked. Why waste everyone's time with such an inane question. Best one I've ever heard: "When did Ron Wood start playing drums for Shellac?"

Posted by mike | September 13, 2006 6:19 AM

I video taped Todd Trainer's rant. I'm going to put it up on You Tube in a day or so. "DON'T BOTHER ME!" His Brick Layer Cake performance was killer as well.

The whole weekend was totally amazing. Seeing Jeff Tweedy with his wife trying to get a good view of Seam. Matt Besser from Upright Citizens Brigade was walking around with a Big Black shirt. My buddies and I got to chat with David Yow like this is a normal thing to do.

The Silkworm performance was amazing. We spilled our beers for Dahlquist and by the end of song me and my two buddies were in tears.

There were so many amazing things we got to see I have barely been able to process. Three Mile Pilot was amazing. Black Heart is so good live. The Didjits were killer. Good times.

Posted by Old Indie Guy | September 13, 2006 11:33 AM

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2006 11:35 AM

The Apneic post reads like high school. Who the fuck are these vaginas?
This is the kind of unreflective, history-allergic, shallow writing and thinking I'd expect from zitty mouthbreathing high school scenesters. Which is probably what they are.

sad thing is, their synopsis, which can be distilled to the "it must not be cool if I haven't heard it" knee-jerk dictum of hicks & culturephobes, seems daily more and more common. In a world with the collective attention span of a goldfish, who the fuck has time to pay attention to what came out last year, let alone 25 years ago?

Posted by cw | September 13, 2006 12:40 PM

too bad no Uzeda flicks. they ruled it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2006 4:22 PM

too bad no Uzeda flicks. they ruled it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2006 4:23 PM

i think i remember you taking that picture of me when astroman was playing. thats weird.

Posted by robert | September 14, 2006 10:15 PM

well Apneic should be happy at least she got to see every Billyburg hipster girl's fave Coco Rosie...(you can run to the WC now to vomit)
PW Long is due lots o respect(I don't like his solo stuff so much) but man I wish Mule could've played somehow

Posted by rick perner | March 20, 2007 11:40 AM