Posted in NYC | music | pictures on October 27, 2006

FRED ARMISEN INTRODUCES TV ON THE RADIO
Jared Leto @ The Woodies

I was one of the many bloggers in attendance at this year's mtvU Awards @ Roseland Ballroom in NYC on Wednesday night (October 25, 2006). I wasn't live-blogging it, but I was taking pictures so I could blog about it right now.

Highlights included a 2-song performance each, by Beck and TV on the Radio, and entertaining presentations by Lady Sovereign, Ghostface Killah, Lupe Fiasco, Gogol Bordello's Eugene Hutz, and SNL comedian Fred Armisen (last year the real Lou Reed presented an award - this year the fake one).

JARED LETO WITH A WOODIE
Jared Leto @ The Woodies

Low points: the major-label dominated "College Students' Favorite Emerging Artists" nominee list and the resulting list of winners -- that includes Jared Leto's band 30 Seconds to Mars taking home the award for "best live action video" ("The music video that's so incredible, we'd watch it even without the music"). Admittedly I haven't even see the winning video, but it's so easy to hate the fact that Jared Leto is being awarded for his music, that I'll just go with it.

More importantly though -- the real Jared Leto 'live action' wasn't actually caught on tape (or was it?). And it came in the form of Angel Face's interaction with two prominent crowd members: one music-obsessed actor, and one (like myself) music-obsessed blogger. According to multiple sources, and while I wasn't looking, Jared Leto both started a fight with Elijah Wood AND injured Stereogum's blogging finger. Possibly due to an impending lawsuit, Stereogum's review of the show doesn't mention the account.

The awards air on TV and online in a few days.

leto's a fake, bitter at his lack of credibility, talent and integrity. and so he resorts to petty bullying. pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2006 1:42 AM

He's still sore about losing Cameron Diaz to Justin Timberlake..
..truth be told...I prefer Justin's music to Jared's ...at least Justin is good as what he does.... and doesnt pretend to be an 18 year old emo boy

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2006 8:58 AM

i think I heard Elijah say something about PMS after Leto was talking shit and walked away

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2006 2:09 PM

Jared Leto's the only dude lame enough to steal My Chemical Romance's gig.

Posted by Jeff | October 27, 2006 2:55 PM

OK... I saw Elijah the other day in Cobble Hill, and the guy is not so huge. Fairly small, to be precise. Hobbit small. Great casting there. So who's this Leto guy to pick a fight with him, and where was Vigo Mortensen when this was all happening? And what the hell are the woodies?

Posted by David Weinberg | October 28, 2006 7:36 PM

I was there and i have pics of the confrontation btw Leto & Wood if you want them. Send me an email...G

Posted by greg | October 30, 2006 5:05 PM

I love 30 secs. to Mars..although I do admit, the first time I saw them,it gave me the impression of MCR (which happens to be my favorite band)

I wonder what did that hobbit say to piss him off...

Posted by Audri | October 31, 2006 2:24 PM

hey greg, do you still have the pics of the confrontation between jared leto and elijah wood?

Posted by sandy | December 27, 2006 8:59 PM

fans of 30 seconds to mars and my chemical romance not only exist, but read brooklyn vegan... why?

Posted by hima | December 31, 2006 7:20 PM

stop f*c*ing pickin on Jared, if someone talked about my brother, I'd hav to slap a bitch, i probably wuld hav done tha same damn thing, and for all uv u Frodo lovin hobbits, kiss my a**!

Posted by Kristin | January 1, 2007 8:57 AM

Kristin's brother is a child molester.

Posted by come and get me, bitch | January 1, 2007 4:17 PM

Jared is gr8 actor and musician 2.

Posted by Thea | January 1, 2007 6:34 PM

why not like someone if you dont even have a reason..Jared Leto doesnt diss how you look or what your wearing...hes got style...the whole "they are wannabe MCR" comments is just absurd...30 seconds to mars are fukin good.. get over it

Posted by blank | January 8, 2007 5:59 PM

Leto is awsome unique and if he had to pick a fight, it was probably for a good reason. Why else would he go out of his way to mess with a lame ass hobbit.

Posted by AJ | January 9, 2007 7:55 PM

Have any of you even seen 30 Seconds To Mars Live? That band is fuckin' amazing. They got nominated for a reason! Elijah Wood can comment all he wants on the band and Jared but in reality Elijahs only got one thing going for him and thats Lord of The Rings. Oh wait...The movie Flipper. ROCK ON 30 SECONDS TO MARS. CANADA LOVES YOU!

Posted by Stephanie | January 28, 2007 6:04 PM

30 Seconds to Mars are a great band! Elijah Wood might think he's a great music expert, but his taste is up his arse. And regardless of his opinion of the band, you don't go badmouthing them in a national magazine, it just aint cool.

Posted by Gabrielle | January 30, 2007 8:29 AM

30 Seconds to Mars are a fucking awesome band! Elijah Wood might think he's a big ol music expert, but his taste is up his arse. And regardless of his opinion of the band, you don't go badmouthing them in a national magazine, it just aint cool.

Posted by Gabrielle | January 30, 2007 8:31 AM

So, Elijah Wood's not fond of Mr. Leto's band...uh.. music posse, 30 seconds to Mars. Ya gotta love that name.

Big deal! It's not the end of the world, you known. I do recall the article from several yrs ago in which Mr. Wood made the ad hoc remark about the band.. well..sucking. There was, however, no mention of Mr. Leto, family members or eyeliner of any particular brand or color.

And though I felt this comment was a tad harsh, he is like most music critics, entitled to his opinion. So imagine my shock & surprise when I heard (EW) had been attacked.

Whatever possessed Jared Leto to conduct himself in such an incredibly juvenile manner: Drink, special appetizers...fumes from hair care products?

The photographs: Arm around the shoulder, whispered insults, pull away then look at (EW's) face for the desired affect. I understand this bizarre sequence was repeated several times before (JL), satisfied that he'd gotten his message across, walked away. Only to return seconds later, grab (EW) by the neck, call him a "A f cking a hole," gave him a friendly shove then stormed off.

Of course, (EW) was at fault for having the audacity to whisper to his girl friend within earshot.

Hmmmm... Paranoid? That word just popped into my fron..for some reason don't know why.

Sad, isn't it?

These are two wonderfully talented & gifted actors - nature has been quite good to them.

They're so beautiful it hurts to look at them.

It is truly unpleasant when misunderstandings - let's just call it that. Shall we? Are blown completely out of proportion.

So, my advice is simple.

Get a grip. You're adults. Act like it.

Posted by Thani | February 3, 2007 3:02 PM

Whatever Jared Leto is so talented you guys are just ignorant and Elijah is a fucking Lame

Posted by Katie | February 6, 2007 10:12 PM

I agree, I Love 30 Seconds to Mars they're awesome and I hope Jared kicks Elijah inhis freaking azz. If Elijah didn't like them that's fine and okay buthe doesn't have to talk shit about'em him B4 LOTR everyone thought he was just a little runt.

Jared would never be that mean unless he where provoked, Elijah just a bullshiter, and he deserve to be called an asshole

Posted by Angel | February 6, 2007 10:27 PM

first off, 30 SECONDS TO MARS ROCK! THOSE WHO FUCKING HATE THEM CAN KISS MY ASS! ELIJAH WOOD IS A FUCKING MORON! HE DUZNT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HES TALKING BOUT! but i guess ppl have their ritghts to say what they think. second, HE STILL SHUDNT BE SAYING SHIT BOUT 30 SECONDS TO MARS LIKE THAT!!!! I BET THERES LOTS OF PPL WHO HATE THEIR BAND! THAT DONT ME HE CAN SAY SHIT BOUT THEM JUST BCUZ HES A STAR! WELL STILL PPL HAVE THEIR FREEDOM BUT HE DUZNT HAVE TO SAY SHIT BOUT THEM IN PUBLIC! Lord of The Rings are gay movie anyways, no?

Posted by ......... | March 17, 2007 2:27 PM

WHAT?? was elijah talking about Jared brother?? I love 30 seconds to mars!!!

Posted by sara | March 28, 2007 2:10 PM

Wow.Jared Leto Is Way Talented.Elijah Wood Has Some MAJOR prolbems.That Stoopid Elf.&& 30SecondsToMars Is The Best Band Ever

Posted by Abree | April 15, 2007 4:59 PM

I love them both. 30 Seconds to Mars is an awesome band. Elijah Woods is entitled to his opinion. Anyone who loves and appreciates Thirty Seconds to Mars' music can go right on loving it regardless of Mr. Woods' personal opinion. If someone is enough of a sheep to not listen to the music and make their own decision, oh well. As for the "fight" at the awards show, I wasn't there, don't know EXACTLY what was said or what happened...but I'll have to agree with some of the past posts, maybe a little growing up, or less alcohol may be necessary.

Posted by Cass | April 20, 2007 11:08 AM

who ever thinks that Jared is a fake is an ass because hes not hes awsome and so is the band and so what if there like another bands theres another band whos like another bands and anothers and anothers but he has his own vice and hes hot and if ur ugly then ur just mad cuz hes hot and ur not anyways jared you rock and dont listen to shit heads

Posted by ilove30secondstomars | May 6, 2007 2:33 PM

Not that I think it's good what Jared did because nobody deserves to be treated that way but, I can't say I blame him. I heard that Elijah was talking bad about him and his family. If somebody started talking bad about me or my family, i'd probably do the same thing. So all of you who are talking bad about Jared and saying what a bad person he is, think about how mad you'd be if someone started talking bad about you.

Posted by LindseyCalifornia | May 14, 2007 1:17 AM

oh...and by the way...I think that Jared's awessome and so is everything he does. !!! Plus he's eye candy, that always helps! lol

Posted by LindseyCalifornia | May 14, 2007 1:23 AM

FUCK YOU PEOPLE THAT HATE JARED LETO HE IS THE HOTEST GUY TO WALK THIS PLANET AND HE MAKES KICK ASS MUSIC WITH HIS BAND (30 SECONDS TO MARS!)OK! YOU HATEING ASS MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Aprill | July 23, 2007 2:02 AM

Posted by Aprill | July 23, 2007 2:02 AM

OMG Jared leto picked a fight with Elijah cuz Elijah was talking shit about his band. Jared is the most amazing person in the world. and he wouldnt pick a fight for no good reason

Posted by Rachel | July 25, 2007 12:10 AM

Mens who think that jary is gay,I want to tell you something,and that is that you
can only be yelous on the world's hotest man.Pease from Serbia.

Posted by Ivana-a huge fan of Jared Leto | August 3, 2007 5:35 AM

elijah woods is a TOTAL DOUCHE that`s right some of these people called jared leto a total douche before but i`ll call elijah woods a total douche i`ll tell it right to his face if i had to. elijah is a fucking liar he really thinks he has good taste in music he`s an actor why would he have good taste in music for. oh yea that`s right oh elijah is sooo nice he`s acting fucking gay that`s why he`s sooo nice. I LOVE 30 SECONDS TO MARS!!!!!!! I listen to 30 seconds to mars at all the time like today i`m going to the pool today and i`m going to bring a CD player with me and i`m going to listen to 30 seconds to mars because I got there CD.

Posted by debbiecohen | August 5, 2007 12:48 PM

i love 30 seconds to mars so im trying not to be biased when i say this but seriously, Elijah wood is entitled to his opinion but youve got to be pretty damn stupid to insult a band when the lead singer is right next to you and then as he walks away insult him personally. In my opinion, Elijah Wood is pretty much a retard. Also i dont blame jared leto. I'd probbably get pissed to if someone started going off about something they barely know what it is.

Posted by Rose1386 | September 10, 2007 6:58 PM

also adding to my earlier post.....(this time i dont care if im biased or not) ELIJAH WOOD IS A FUCKING RETARD AND CAN GO DIE IN A DITCH ON THE SIDE OF SOME UNKNOWN FREEWAY IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! ALSO, I MEAN THE BITCH CALLED ELIJAH WOOD PROBBABLY KNOWSNOTHING ABOUT MUSIC AND CAN STICK HIS INSULTS UP HIS ASS

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2007 7:04 PM

lollllllll jared is the best i´m imagine frodo´s face dont´hurt or i call my lord of the ring friends LOLOLOl yeah but jared sould control himself

Posted by milady | November 15, 2007 5:02 PM

It has been hard for 30 seconds to mars to overcome the 'actor to musician' stereotype and prove that they are actually fucking amazing!!!

Though i suppose Elijah wood is entitled to his opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2008 6:06 AM

Vamoooosss.... 30 seconds to mars.... lo Amoooooo........ sooonn miii viiidaaaaaaaaaa.........!!!! :$

Posted by Nahiir,,, | May 29, 2011 2:28 PM