Posted in MP3 | SXSW | music | tour dates on January 22, 2007

DOWNLOAD: The Pipettes - We are the Pipettes (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Amy Winehouse - Rehab (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Amy Winehouse - Rehab (Hot Chip remix) (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good (feat. Ghostface) (MP3)

Amy Winehouse @ Joe's Pub, NYC | Jan 18, 2007 (CRED)
Amy Winehouse @ Joes Pub

According to Pitchfork Amy Winehouse is very uncool. According to Chris Ott, The Pipettes are very uncool. I say let's all just get along and admit that March 13th's "Live From London" lineup at Bowery Ballroom in NYC is a hot one. Tickets for the Amy/Pipettes show go on sale at noon.

the PipettesBy the time I realized Amy Winehouse (who like Lily Allen, is huge in the UK) was playing Joe's Pub last week (see above), the shows were already way sold out. The Pipettes have never played the U.S. before.

The Pipettes are also playing Canadian Music Week in Toronto on March 10th, and then SXSW (March 14-19) after NYC. I'm assuming Amy will show up in Austin too (as long as Kelly Osbourne is able to keep her alive that long of course).

a bunch of out of touch midwest indie nerds don't get Amy Winehouse ?

no big supprise.

Posted by Bang'm Smurf | January 22, 2007 11:16 AM

Saw the Pipettes at Primavera Rock in Barcelona this past December, we absolutely great...the album comes across very well live and a double bill with Amy Winehouse seems too good to be true and for less than $20 is criminal, might have to make the roadtrip to NYC as I fear the clusterphuck to see either in Austin will not be pretty. And I'm not sure how Amy will come across at Coachella.

Posted by b. | January 22, 2007 11:21 AM

A friend and I went to Amy Winehouse's show at Joe's Pub show last week and we were underwhelmed.

Posted by anon | January 22, 2007 11:26 AM

Tickets for Cat Power at MoMA are on sale now at ticketweb. $10.

Posted by Cat Power is better than Amy | January 22, 2007 11:46 AM

It's for good reason I refuse to read Pitchfork. I saw both Joe's Pub shows of Amy last week. 9:30pm show was good, but the 11:30pm show was perfect. She played with The Dap Kings and Victor Axelrod from Antibalas. Everybody was 100% warmed up and comfortable playing with each other by the second set. After a 3 year wait for her, it was an unforgettable night. For me both Chan and Amy are in a league of their own. Apples and oranges a little bit.

Posted by Mike | January 22, 2007 12:12 PM

I caught the second show at Joe's Pub and she was amazing. Also, didn't Pfork have a positive review up for Winehouse's album a few weeks back? I'm a bit confused by their new found hate.

Posted by Dave Park | January 22, 2007 1:16 PM

Sold out.

what doesn't sell out in like an hour anymore?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2007 1:20 PM

NO BIG HAIR!

Posted by stephen | January 22, 2007 1:28 PM

Yeah but I love Amy Winehouse. See my '06 redux post if ya care.

Posted by Chris Ott | January 22, 2007 2:21 PM

show sold out so fast most likely because scalpers saw how in demand the tickets were for the joes pub gig.
already a ton of scalpers trying to sell $18 tickets for $75 a piece

Posted by Greg | January 22, 2007 2:29 PM

if you look at all of pitchfork's bashings of winehouse, they were done solely by this amy phillips chick. the column feature praising her was done by someone else. i personally think she's great, don't know what the fuck they're on.

Posted by J | January 22, 2007 4:26 PM

who cares about pitchfork? do they even like anything that isnt complete hipster garbage that will be laughed at 5 years from now?

Posted by Greg | January 22, 2007 4:37 PM

Posted by Greg | January 22, 2007 4:38 PM

Eh, I don't care either way about Pitchfork but it's worth noting that Amy Phillips also once wrote an article in the Voice about how Sonic Youth should break up because they were no longer any good. It was an insufferable piece of bullshit by a girl that was way in over her head. The best part were the letters that followed that issue.

Posted by will | January 23, 2007 10:14 AM

Amy Winehouse is brilliant.

Posted by Jason MacIsaac | February 6, 2007 8:55 PM

did anyone go? how was it?

Posted by q | March 14, 2007 1:17 PM

Amy philips sounds like a useless shite, spewing attention-seeking nonsense not even she fully buys into.
I remember that sonic youth write-up, it was so badly-conceived, so uncomfortably amateurish, that I was convinced it was some kind of brilliant satire of bad teenaged-hipster music journalism.
But no, we're just dealing with someone with wretched taste and an underdeveloped faculty in communicating it.

Posted by c | March 14, 2007 7:11 PM