Posted in music on January 31, 2007

Hot on the heels of the "blipster" controversy, another issue arises that forces us to think about the unfortunate existence of hate and separation in the world, and in the music world even....

Bad Brains

Unlike the popular parody making the rounds on the Internet lately, the below video I found of HR from Bad Brains is depressingly real...

The audio in the video is hard to understand, but yes, HR Did say, "...I do say unity, but for all people, not for all faggots".

I was as excited as everyone else when Bad Brains reunited with HR to play three shows at CBGB before it closed. And I was as excited as everyone else to find out that Bad Brains are releasing a new album. You might even argue that there is universal love and respect for the Bad Brains among music fans, fellow musicians, the music industry, and the press.

Wikipedia describes Bad Brains as a "highly influential American all-black hardcore punk band" and "pioneers of hardcore punk", but makes no mention of homophobia. Most articles don't bring it up either...

"...the seminal black punk-reggae band..." [NPR]

"...the Brains inspire as many people to pick up instruments as lay them down in frustration... [Rolling Stone]

"On-again/off-again rock act Bad Brains appears to be on once more.." [Billboard]

"...hardcore legends Bad Brains seem to be back in commission..." [Pitchfork]

"Bad Brains reuniting - HR included | 2 shows @ CBGB" [BrooklynVegan]

....though it is documented on the Internet.

I even waited until now to follow up on the comment in this post...

Does anyone remember the controversy surrounding the Bad Brains back in the early '90s (I think it was around then)? I think they had a lyric that was viewed as homophobic or that the lyric viewed folks striken with HIV/AIDS pretty negatively. I can't recall much else about it, but I do remember that the band was getting slammed pretty hard for it some zines.
...which ironically was written on the same day as an anti-gay post about fellow Rastafarian Buju Banton.

Obviously the above video is old, and HR is not the same guy he used to be...

Bad Brains

...or is he? Has HR gone on record to say he's changed his ways? Either way, is the exchange in the above video forgivable? Can you enjoy a band's music while ignoring their beliefs? Even though I'm not sure I know the beliefs of half the musicians I listen to, I'd have to say no. Whatever the answer is, I'm not happy about it.

Tags: Bad Brains

i love me some bad brains, but by the bye, NEON BIBLE just leaked. it's hard to say whether i like it yet or not, but it ain't bad.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 12:47 PM

please. please stop all of your whining. who cares? it's a shitty home video from 20 years ago. fucking get over yourself. jesus.

Posted by XRF | January 31, 2007 12:55 PM

that leaked like 4 days ago anon. get with it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 12:56 PM

"who cares?"

not you obviously

"it's a shitty home video from 20 years ago."

What does the quality or "home" have to do with it?

I'll give you the "20 years ago" though. That's exactly why I wrote in the post "Obviously the above video is old, and HR is not the same guy he used to be". Did you read it?

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 31, 2007 1:04 PM

If you read Steve Blush's American Hardcore, it discusses the whole Bad Brains/Houston/Big Boys thing in greater detail.

As great has Bad Brains was/is, HR is a dick, for his homophobia as well has many MANY other things.

Posted by kai | January 31, 2007 1:11 PM

"Can you enjoy a band's music while ignoring their beliefs?"

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 1:14 PM

that video is nuts!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 1:20 PM

My question is when will someone start posting videos of Johnny Ramone spouting his vey overt racist views? He had a notorious hatred for black people and wasn't afraid to let it be known. I'm sure there's some video of that out there! As for Bad Brains, ask Daryl Jennifer about the time Johnny made a festival promoter pull the plug on Bad Brains because he was too intimidated to follow them...

Posted by Jordan Catalano | January 31, 2007 1:21 PM

the real question is whether a homophobic band can be enjoyed at Webster Hall.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 1:21 PM

H.R. is an idiot. Bad Brains were a great band, way back, but punk rock is not about hating gay people. H.R.'s rasta rambling bullshit should detract from the Bad Brains' legacy - and he should be embarassed about it.

Posted by John b. | January 31, 2007 1:23 PM

Everyone knows HR is about as mentally stable as an idiot on peyote. Plus yeah 20 years ago is pretty important. The hardcore scene was very young and macho back then. Standing up for "fags" wasn't something people did back then - unless we're talking about Jello Biafra.

And at least he was just talking shit, Harley Flanagan used to roam the LES beating the shit out of gay people for shits and giggles.

That said it's wrong either way but all I'm saying is it's not something worth making a big deal about.

Posted by Matt | January 31, 2007 1:25 PM

Not to defend hate towards homosexuals but, beyond the anti gay slant in rastafarianism.

HR is mentally ill and has a long standing history of being irrational and dangerous to himself and others. He's spent years being homeless, addicted to drugs and has grown exceptionally odd in later years.

He's the wrong guy to nail to the cross on this point. But, it's a point worth making.

Posted by But HR is crazy! | January 31, 2007 1:26 PM

Don't get me started on Webster Hall! Plus, we should point out that crowds in other cities would dance to HR's homophobic rants, but here in New York City? The crowds just stand with their arms crossed and don't dance! Not even to homophobic rants!

Posted by thousands | January 31, 2007 1:45 PM

"Don't blow no fudge buns! Ask Jah and he'll make the change." I thought that was the funniest shit when I was a kid. I also thought that HR was a homophobe and border line brain dead, but seeing them with Slapshot (another fine example of hardcore punk's liberal tolerance) back in 90 or 91 was my first and still favorite punk rock memory. At least I never actually heard of him putting out a call to arms to actually go and kill anybody - like top 40 artists capleton, buju, beenie man etc. etc. etc. etc.

Posted by mackie | January 31, 2007 1:51 PM

I always thought it was "fudge bombs," which makes me think of tasty ice cream treats.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:01 PM

Bad Brains new album "Build a Nation" drops in May

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:02 PM

"Build a Nation (of anyone but faggots)"

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:07 PM

There haven't been many bands that have influenced me like Bad Brains but I have to say, even though I enjoy their music, it's hard to look past that comment. Their song 'Don't Blow No Bubbles' on Quickness was supposedly anit-gay. But it was in the late 80s early 90s and more people are better aware that they are not going to catch "gay" by being around homosexuals so I would hope that they have changed their view. It's hard to believe this is even an issue in the US in 2007. Regardless, I would be conflicted because if they are still anti-gay that would be like slapping some friends of mine in my face. I wouldn't go see a band that supported the war in Iraq even if I liked their music, so I guess I wouldn't go see a band live if they internally hated my friends for who they are.

Posted by safecraka | January 31, 2007 2:14 PM

At least they like echo and the bunnymen.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:28 PM

Before you hipsters packed up from the midwest and moved to the post-Giuliani disney NYC (further destroying my city), things were different back in the '80s and '90s. NYC skinheads were "different" because they weren't racist. You had black and spanish skinheads. But they all still hated gays.

Nowadays, the skinheads are gone. But has the homophobia in hardcode music gone away? I think so.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:29 PM

"Can you enjoy a band's music while ignoring their beliefs?" who are you BV to suppose you know shit about an artists "beliefs?" you know about as much as an artists wants you to know, as do we all, until that artist acts in a way to demonstarate those beliefs. even then how are we to assume their "beliefs" are such? i echo the abbove poster with "get over yourself," your music blogging will not cure the ills of the world, stick to pumping up indie cred.

Posted by gwan | January 31, 2007 2:29 PM

"who are you BV to suppose you know shit about an artists 'beliefs?'"

gwan, did you stop reading after that sentence? Because in the next one I believe BV wrote:

"Even though I'm not sure I know the beliefs of half the musicians I listen to"

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:36 PM

The Bad Brains kinda suck, actually. The homophobia just makes them suck even worse.

Posted by Sergio | January 31, 2007 2:40 PM

the comments are better than bv's posts lately

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:43 PM

Yeah all you midwestern hipsters you ruined HIS city. Just like all those hipster Mexicans who have moved to this Disney post-Clinton USA and ruined OUR country! People should stay where they are forever!

Posted by will | January 31, 2007 2:44 PM

so what I'm getting from these comments is that homophobia is OK, especially if you lived in New York in the 80's?

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 2:51 PM

Rastafarian in Talking A Load of Shit Shocker

Posted by steve | January 31, 2007 3:00 PM

""Can you enjoy a band's music while ignoring their beliefs?"

"Answer: For me it is yes. Look at Rage Against the Machine. They are a bunch of socialist idiots, but man I loved their music.""

ONLY the very shallow would agree with you.

Posted by expostfacto | January 31, 2007 3:01 PM

BV, excellent thought-provoking post.

I'm not sure where I stand on this one, because I hate racism, homophobia, anti-semitism, etc. more than anything in the world. When I hear a person utter a single hateful comment, I look at them differently forever.

But the anonymous point about Rage Against the Machine was dead-on. I think that people should be able to separate an artist's personal beliefs with the art they create. If you enjoy something, then you enjoy it, and there is no use fighting it. This might be a bad parallel, but I absolutely despise the Rolling Stones for the insane amount of money they charge for their tickets these days. It makes me sick. Yet when I hear "Wild Horses" or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," I put all that petty nonsense aside and appreciate the art for what it is.

It's really a "To Each His Own" matter here. I think the key point in this issue is whether or not Bad Brains is promoting hatred. I don't know enough about the music to say whether or not that is true. But if it's just a personal thing...that HR just hates homosexuals and accidentally slipped up saying so on camera after a ripping a few bowls...well then, whatever. Shit, my grandmother is racist as all hell. Does that make her a bad person? No, not at all. She's a product of the environment and the times she grew up in.

Kramer is a newly discovered racist. Does that mean I won't think he's hilarious in Seinfeld now? Ehhh...probably not.

All in all, I guess I'm saying that for me, it's okay to support a hateful artist, so long as they are not promoting hate in their art.

Posted by DJ Dave | January 31, 2007 3:06 PM

i think HR is an eccentric with psychological issues who's drunk on his own power. in some ways, he almost comes across more jingoistic than homophobic. i'm guessing he would've been just as likely to allow a woman into his ranks as he would've a homosexual. he wanted "soldiers", plain and simple.

i grew up going to all ages shows in DC and baltimore in the mid/late-80's. the punk/hardcore scene back then was very violent (there were usually fights at every show) and driven by macho skinheads. everyone united under a hatred of jocks and reagan. beyond that; the lines were blurry. you'd go to a positive force benefit one night and then go see the meatmen (anyone remember 'tooling for anus'? 'french people suck'?) with former members of minor threat in it the next. it was just a different time.

not defending it, just not sure it always works to apply our current standards to something that took place that long ago. lines were blurry and many of these issues were not discussed as openly as they are now. the dialogue's just healthier these days.

to me, it's not a good thing. but i'm not at all surprised by it.

Posted by randy | January 31, 2007 3:07 PM

Hitler was a really excellent orator, if you just ignore his personal beliefs (he was also a vegan).

I still love you, BV!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 3:14 PM

YAWN

Posted by Brian | January 31, 2007 3:23 PM

First, 2:07's anonymous comment was hilarious.

Second, I do agree with Randy, above. I grew up in Boston, in a notoriously conservative hardcore scene. Bands like Slapshot weren't exactly liberal, but I was able to separate their beliefs from what was, overall, a scene I felt at home in.

I still think H.R. is an idiot, and I still think there's nothing punk rock about hate, but it's a sad reality of the early punk rock scene (and certainly parts of the current hc scene) that no matter how much people rocked against racism, homophobia was (and is) acceptable.

Posted by John b. | January 31, 2007 3:26 PM

So sorry to bore you, YAWNing person, with our tedious commentary. What would you be interested in talking about? I'm sure that you have a lot of fascinating insights to add to any conversation.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 3:27 PM

"but punk rock is not about hating gay people" - it used to be. lol.

descendents: "you're pants are too tight, you fucking homo. you suck, mr butt fuck, you don't belong here. go away, you fucking gay, i'm not a loser."

angry samoans: "homosexual, up the ass, make it last, jerk me off...go get lost."

and that's just two off the top of my head.

Posted by richard | January 31, 2007 3:27 PM

For the record, I love Rage's politics and their music bores me to tears.

Rock for light.

Posted by Dan | January 31, 2007 3:42 PM

hating people is the American way

it's fun and it's not going anywhere

make an effort to conform if you feel you're a target

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 3:49 PM

i thought everyone in Brooklyn was gay? it says it in the Bible!

prove me wrong!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 3:56 PM

Today in the news, that colored man from that black guy punk band said something about "faggots" 20+ years ago, somebody from some e-mag or something used the word "blipster" which is slightly funny and Peter Bjorn and John DEFINATLY suck hard.

Through it all, we are strong, we are united, and we love music. Cuz thats what it's all about...The music. I'm going to go see...umm that band that was on Pitchfork yesterday, BV totally loves em, cant remember the name. But it should be fun, I heard an mp3 at Michelles house and they seem ok. ....

This is the apocolypse of indie music as we know it. Its the new emo and its fucking sad. Everyone go listen to noise music, that'll probably still be "cool" for a couple of weeks.

Posted by .x.BlipsteR.x. | January 31, 2007 4:02 PM

There's a very-old Beastie Boys interview out there somewhere with some pretty homophobic comments in it as well. I guess they were copying Bad Brains to the fullest back then.

Posted by Brett | January 31, 2007 4:03 PM

Posted by MrFunk | January 31, 2007 4:06 PM

"The ability to listen to and appreciate music out-of-context is the mark of a true music fan."

go back to art school, churchy!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 4:18 PM

LOL.

I mean, as a minority who listens to rock music, you would be surprised how many people stick their foot in their mouths. My favorite is a very early 90's Rolling Stone quote with Lars from Metallica who said "Rap music? What's that, black people complaining about white people?" (Who, by the late 90's was gushing and working with hip-hop artists)

Posted by Reg! | January 31, 2007 4:23 PM

ladies, ladies, it's no big deal...just listen to skrewdriver couple of times and then there will be nothing as offensive as that...

and last i remembered, we lived in america and we can hate whomever we want!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 4:50 PM

"Basically, over the years Ive learned to treat my favorite musical artists with a grain of salt as far as their personal belief's go. I mean, yeah, they might not be racists, but you would be surprised how many 'cool' artists are absolute assholes in real life."

Truest statement I've heard in a long time.

Posted by Eliza | January 31, 2007 4:54 PM

really annoyed that you chose to post this and connect it with the really ridiculously offensive NY Times article.

it's very illuminating.

Posted by camille | January 31, 2007 4:58 PM

One of the truests things I've read in a while.

Posted by Eliza | January 31, 2007 4:58 PM

""Can you enjoy a band's music while ignoring their beliefs?"

----------------

"ONLY the very shallow would agree with you."

----------------

I don't know what that means. Are you saying that only shallow people like RATM? I'm confused.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 5:27 PM

why don't you eat meat and leave HR alone!?!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 5:30 PM

in other news, HR Returns To 'Grey's Anatomy'

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 6:03 PM

"but punk rock is not about hating gay people" - it used to be. lol.

and that's just two off the top of my head."

Yeah it was a fairly common occurrence back in the day...not saying it was right but here are a couple more.

Butthole Surfers anyone?
From the song "butthole surfer"

I was walkin down the street down venice way
los angeles the big CA
a man came up to me about 40 and gay
I said no way go away get away go home!

Then there's the Feederz
Jesus Entering from the Rear
"Jesus entering from the rear
Fucking you in the ass
Just another faggot
In just another mass"

Posted by darby | January 31, 2007 7:15 PM

"Can you enjoy a band's music while ignoring their beliefs?"

I don't know, can you enjoy Beck's music while ignoring he's a Scientologist? I guess it comes down to how egregious an infraction against your own personal beliefs an artist's belief is.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 7:20 PM

This post is now CLOSED. ever read a Beatles biography?

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 11:28 PM

I couldn't even bring myself to watch the entire video past the first third. I also never understood how people who have been so extremely oppressed have the gall to call out any other group of individuals.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2007 11:32 PM

I couldn't even bring myself to watch the entire video past the first third. Which also makes me wonder how people who have been so extremely oppressed have the gall to call out any other group of individuals.

Posted by Jonathan C. | January 31, 2007 11:34 PM

I fwded this to Anthony Countey, the band's manager, his reply:

"From the Love Club the second or third show I worked on with them. I didn't see him do this interview, I was probably outside washing the eggs off Lisa Wexler's truck, the gay woman who was willing to help us get to these shows. I recall seeing the irony, it was a few dozen eggs took an hour. This interview is 25 years old, I know HR's perception was that homosexuals he came across were older and they were predatory, perhaps based on personal experience, certainly stories from young runaways, he never imagined anything like a gay culture. he was a black kid from DC. Why does this have legs?There may be things wrong with HR but homophobia isn't one of them. Sounded like someone else's words, maybe 12 tribes, but I saw him be very comfortable with very flamboyant people. He had no problem. thanks.-a. "

Posted by joly | February 1, 2007 9:58 AM

hey wow, the guy changed with time! hard to believe huh? since we are all exactly the same and have always been perfect in everything we say and do...and we are never influenced by negative scenarios...and we all must live and die by the words of blunted out punk rockers. it really matters, it does. the music is secondary.

Posted by Anonymous | February 1, 2007 11:07 AM

"Are people ever allowed to be wrong? Or to change their minds? Goddamn. I'm floored by the viciously self-righteous crap posted here. If you're gonna cop that attitude, just make sure you're consistent . . . and not pinning all of your lazy anger on a few."

Amen. Worst BV post ever. Sorry.

Posted by Brian | February 1, 2007 11:20 AM

I think we all need some Gayrilla Biscuits and Limp Wrist in our lives.

Posted by Texas | February 1, 2007 2:46 PM

There is no "blipster" controversy and there is no "homophobic" controversy associated with the Bad Brains unless you are trying to make one, are you?

Posted by ult73 | February 3, 2007 6:02 PM

well the word faggot "might" have been used metaphoric'ly...to tell everyone to be strong enough to UNITE and STAND for a common goal and fight for a better future...It might?

Posted by Screaming Rat | February 11, 2007 6:35 PM

It's not right to take a paint brush and paint the whole punk rock scene black because of a few idiots. The Dead Kennedys said "nigger" in one of their songs as satire, some bands have done the same thing with labels such as "faggot."

Is H.R. fucked in the head? Yes... What else is new? Is rastafarianism homophobic? Yes... Who the hell cares? The Bad Brains got into that whole Rasta thing way beyond their hardcore debut, the album that I care about is the original Bad Brains album with songs such as "Pay to Cum," "Attitude," and "Banned in D.C." After that period, I don't care what the band did and I don't care what they do today. H.R. sang a song with P.O.D. a few years back called "Without Jah, Nothin" if that tells you anything.

Hardcore is hardly homophobic, hardly racist, and if you want to talk about conservative/hate values being in music, you should explore no further than the Oi! scene, esp. bands like Cock Sparrer, Discipline, The Cockney Rejects, etc. Those bands sing about working class white kids fucking you up because you like a different soccer team, and we shall never forget Skrewdriver and their scar left upon the world.

Posted by Brian | March 9, 2007 10:16 PM

1. There is no law that says you have to be in favor of or speak hihghly of homosexuality

2. Bad Brains was one of those bands that could have talked about killing babies on X-mas morning and we would still have liked their sound.

3. Not everyone has accepted the anus as an sexual organ.

4. How in the hell can anyone hold H.R> to high intellectual standards? He's a performer not a supreme court justice.

5. We shouldn't even acknowledge that FAG band from texas in the same breathe as bad brains.

Last Fact: Bad brains is one of the most important acts in the history of American Entertainment.Deal with it......and please don't blow no bubbles.

Posted by geezy | March 29, 2007 3:09 PM

I think the best point here is the one which details the indications that HR has had mental problems and drug addiction. It didn't entirely surprise me that he had done something controversial 20 years ago, or that he had spent time homeless. I believe his religion is somewhat fundamentalist, and his politics have always been in your face, so while I totally disagree with any hatred towards homosexuality and think it is irresponsible and short sighted for an artist to perpetuate hate speech, I have to support his right to have fanatical views about anything. I've always felt left leaning people are often too hard on religious zealots. I think there is a place for people who are against things like premarital sex, for example, like I always respected and hung out with straight edge kids while I smoked marijuana. I think suggesting queers are less than human is taking it way too far, but he is a human capable of evolving enlightenment. I personally think there is something really prophetic about HR when he speaks and writes, and his influence on punk music cannot be understated. James Brown is another good example of someone who makes great music but had a messed up personal life that was just wrong in many ways. I am sometimes slightly ashamed to love his music, but Rage Against the Machine have always been great and righteous in their politics. I had a friend who once said no one should ever mix music and politics when I asked him what he thought of RATM. I thought that was a really narrow-minded and even discpicable opinion. HR is an amazing lyricist and vocalist and I really can't deny that Bad Brains was a hundred times more interesting than all of the imitators who followed, no matter if he was impulsive or drunk or whatever enough or mean-spirited to say something dumb on stage. I just watched American Hardcore and aside from all of the positive-minded DC stuff and some of the CA bands, most of it is pretty forgetable to me. I hate all that macho shit as much as I do the racist stuff. Bad Brains, though, every minute of footage was electrifying. I could have seen them when I was going to shows in the late 80s, and I kick myself for not figure out what an opportunity it would have been. Even owning 3 of their albums, I never have for some weird reason seen them live. I kind of thought of them as more of a metal band in the late 80s when I was into british punk and new wave. Seems like their sound had changed quite a bit, and I later learned how great their early stuff is, and appreciated the Rick Ocasek productions even more. Black Dots is an amazing document of this band if you really want to know they were all about before a lot of the madness set in. I'm definitely going to any westcoast Bad Brains show in 2007.

Posted by josh | April 17, 2007 3:43 AM

HR is awesome. If you don't agree:

Burn in Hell you bloodclot faggot.

Posted by muttaqi | May 15, 2007 6:15 PM

I don't know why Vegan wants to put so much focus on something the guy said 25 years ago. and tarnish great show! Please vegan take down the "(crazy?)" link!

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 7:36 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2009 10:26 PM

"I'm gay and I've been into punk rock for several years now. Here is the thing, rastafarianism is indeed homophobic, but the punk rock scene has their fair share of homophobes of all sort and people who have different points of view."

"Brian" you're FUCKING ignorant.

i used to be a Rastafari and i had gay friends.

i was not "indeed homophobic".

i was not homophobic at all actually.

and i'm STILL not.

it doesn't mean all rastafarians aren't homophobic,

but if they do, just have personal issues.

just like any other individual carrying their own thoughts and ideas.

also, BAD BRAINS bassist Darryl Jennifer stated this :

"So the point being here, when we first were discovering Rastafari – like any young men or any young women getting into anything – you’re overzealous. Back in 1988, I might have been saying, “Fire burn…” I’m 25 years old! You’ve got to understand that I’m a young man growing, getting into something. Now I’m 46 years old and I’ve learned that that’s ignorant. I’ve learned through the years that we’re all God’s children, regardless of your race, creed, color, sexuality, any of that."

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2009 10:35 PM

Where can I find this footage????????????????????????????

Posted by Small Axe | December 21, 2009 6:34 PM

I used to see HR hanging around Little Ethiopia on Fairfax Blvd. in L.A. HR is one of those guys that was close to the edge, so him saying he didn't want unity with faggots, faggot could have meant gays or weak souls or both. He also wore a wedding dress to one of his shows so go figure.

Posted by Natty J | June 1, 2010 2:02 PM

HR FROM THE BAD BRAINS IS A CLOSET HOMOSEXUAL. THAT'S WHY THE GUY SPENT YEARS PRETENDING HE WAS A RASTA, HE WAS TOO EMBARRASSED TO BE GAY DURING A TIME PERIOD THAT WAS VERY HOMOPHOBIC. I DON'T THINK HE WANTED TO BE KNOWN AS A BLACK FREDDIE MERCURY OR SINGER FOR A BLACK QUEEN. HE HAS SPENT HIS LIFE SAVINGS ON TRANSVESTITES, CRACK AND JUNK FOOD. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A HOMOSEXUAL AND A FAGGOT/FAGET. LOOK UP THE MEANING. HR DIDN'T MENTION HOMOSEXUALS. HE CALLED OUT FAGGOTS OR FAGETS ... DID HE USE SPELLING? NO. SO WHICH WAS HE REFERRING TO FAGETS OR FAGGOTS? HR IS SUCH A DRUG CASUALTY, MEANING HE IS BRAIN DEAD, HE HAS/HAD NO IDEA OF WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. NOW HR HAS TO LIVE WITH HIMSELF AT 60 YEARS OLD, HE PROBABLY LOOKS AT HIMSELF AS THE OLD FAG THAT CAN'T PULL IT TOGETHER AND RUINED HIS CAREER AS WELL AS THE AMAZING CAREERS OF EARL - DARRYL - DR KNOW.
LESSON LEARNED ... YOU GOT PUNKED BY A CLOSET HOMOSEXUAL.

Posted by Jack | May 29, 2011 5:45 AM

As a dc native that moved to phoenix, I'm swept back by the intelligence in this argument. Way to go. I haven't heard intelligent discourse like this in years. Mount Pleasant!!!

Posted by Shawn | December 17, 2011 4:45 AM

People are allowed to be wrong and change their minds, but only if they say so. Bad Brains wants to pretend they didn't do or say any of the horrible shit that happened. And they were sure damn vocal enough back then. Supporters say they've changed and make excuses for them;they claim to be different... BUT THEY HAVE NEVER MADE PUBLIC APOLOGIES OR RECANTED. The day they write songs espousing on civil rights for homosexuals, do a charity gig for all people sick from HIV (regardless of orientation), or rant about gay rights THEN, THEY'VE PROVEN THEY ARE DIFFERENT. Until then, they're just a bunch of bigots who don't want to be pestered by the very things they relished in before. They have the power to correct this, what does it say about their character that they won't? I'll never support them again.

Posted by jezebel proudfoot | June 30, 2012 10:54 PM

if a nigga smoke enough dope a nigga'll say anything

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2012 11:45 PM

It's OK because they're black. We would never tolerate this from a white band. Nor make idiotic rationalizations like "Yeah , he was crazy" "I blame his religion".

Posted by white liberal | July 19, 2012 2:34 AM

HR has always seemed pretty gay to me, but I never liked the gay predatory jerks at shows either. Just because gay men are an oppressed group doesn't mean they can act like scumbags either.

Posted by dc | October 2, 2012 11:03 PM

God BV used to be terrible. Nerds typing out paragraphs and shit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2012 1:02 AM

In Bob Mould's autobiography he writes about the time Grant let Bad Brains crash at his place after a show they did together.

His reward for helping out some fellow musicians? They ripped off his weed and left a homophobic note in its place.

Posted by Rob | November 30, 2012 2:19 PM