Posted in MP3 | music | tour dates on January 23, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Deerhoof - +81 (new MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Deerhoof - The Little Drummer Boy (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: David Bowie & Bing Crosby - The Little Drummer Boy (MP3)

david BowieSomeone emailed me this unfortunate news that was supposedly posted on BowieNet

01.22.2007 NEWS: HIGHLINE FESTIVAL UPDATE

Due to ongoing work on a new project, David Bowie has announced that it will not be possible for him to perform at the Highline Festival in May. He will however continue to curate the event alongside Highline producers David Binder and Josh Wood.

Further announcements relating to the festival line up will be made shortly.

Total Blam Blam - (BowieNet News Editor)

Strangely this news doesn't actually appear on (the public section of) BowieNet, but there are others who saw it.

That sucks. In better news, and according to a commenter, Deerhoof will be joining the already known high-lineup that now includes only Daniel Johnston. Bang on a Can cellist Wendy Sutter also lists 'Highline Festival' in her tour dates. The festival is supposed to be ten days long, so obviously there will be many more artists announced.

DeerhoofSpeaking of Deerhoof, today marks the release of their new album Friend Opportunity. Deerhoof wrote on MySpace:

...I want to say for the record that I'm a big fan of THE SHINS and OF MONTREAL , both of whom also have new albums coming out the same day. I've already heard the Of Montreal record because we share the same booking agent, and I fully believe that any song on there deserves to be all over the airwaves come January, they are all so ingenious. I haven't heard the Shins album but I can say that I was so amazed when I heard them play at ATP one time, I ran right back to our room afterwards and wrote most of "Running Thoughts" in a fit of admiration and (attempted) imitation.

After FRIEND OPPORTUNITY comes out we're going on tour, and we're feeling pretty privileged about the chance to play with so many great other groups

The tour they're speaking of has them at NYC's Irving Plaza this Friday night. Busdriver (who Wes does not like) and Proton Proton are also on the bill.

----

Has anyone seen the new animated movie Arthur and the Invisibles (starring David Bowie)? Good?

Previously
Deerhoof | 2007 Tour Dates & Christmas MP3
David Byrne, Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer
Deerhoof @ McCarren Pool, Brooklyn, NYC | pics
Deerhoof @ Bowery Ballroom & the Byrne-Bowie-Reed factor
60 yr old DAVID BOWIE bringing DANIEL JOHNSTON to NYC HIGHLINE Festival in MAY (9-19) (+ TVOTR & Arcade Fire?)

Did anyone see Bowie on Extras? Very funny indeed

Posted by klaus_kinski | January 23, 2007 11:47 AM

i need some Starman!

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2007 1:01 PM

I hope Bowie isn't sick

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2007 1:15 PM

Any idea when tickets will become available?

Posted by Benjamin | January 23, 2007 1:59 PM

Bowie's turn on Extras was fantastic... Season 2 has been spectacular thus far in general. If you have HBO On-Demand, you can watch next Sunday's episode now--I think it's the best so far, and that's saying a lot.

Posted by Brian | January 23, 2007 3:41 PM

I'm seriously going to cry. what's the point if he's not playing?

I certainly don't see one. weak.

Posted by matthew | January 23, 2007 7:40 PM

Is this true? Any BowieNetter here to comfirm that? I already have my air tickets booked, and now... a disaster!
Please Mr Bowie, play for us!

Walter

Posted by Walt | January 30, 2007 12:12 PM

I'm afraid that's true. The announcement was deleted from bowienet, but subscribers are still able to visualize it. Guess they thought "We cannot announce Bowie won't be playing as we haven't confirmed any solid line up, yet".

You can get more opinions on the subject here:

Yeah, we were about to book our flight too. It won't be the same without him but i'm confident that the final lineup will be so great.

Posted by rober | January 31, 2007 11:27 AM

Look, everyone seems to be missing the point here. David Bowie is working on a "new project." Could it be a new album? One could hope. I'm happy to see him not play High Line if we get some new music from rock's latest hide-away.

Posted by Joe | July 21, 2007 6:21 PM

Bowie's turn on Extras was fantastic. Season 2 has been spectacular thus far in general. If you have HBO On-Demand, you can watch next Sunday's episode now--I think it's the best so far, and that's saying a lot.

Posted by Cohen | January 10, 2011 9:38 AM