Posted in music | veggie on January 16, 2007

Luna Lounge

LUNA LOUNGE IS BACK
"Luna Lounge is located at 361 Metropolitan Avenue at Havemeyer Street - Brooklyn, NY. The nightclub will be open weekends in January and early February with a full schedule starting in the spring."

SCHEDULE SO FAR
Jan 19 - The Comas & Falcom (OPENING NIGHT)
Jan 20 - Orange Park, The Picture, & Motel Creeps
Feb 10 - The Mugs, The ios, Louis

more below....

Luna Lounge started out as a Lower East Side bar with a small back room where about 90 people could cram themselves in and see a band on any night, except Mondays. We opened in August of 1995 and kept going on Ludlow Street until our lease ran out in June of 2005. The building’s new owner had plans to demolish our building and replace it with a high rise apartment house.

Mondays were fun (and funny). That was comedy night and we were so fortunate to have the “Eating It” comedy series created by Michael O'Brien and produced by Naomi Steinberg & Jeff Singer for our entire ten year run on Ludlow Street. The show was virtually free but we did require a one drink purchase which we collected at the door. There are probably quite a few of those old Luna Lounge drink tokens which folks paid for but never turned in at the bar, floating around the drawers of old audience members’ apartments. On Monday nights people could see Demetri Martin, Christian Finnegan, Marc Maron, Louis C.K., Todd Barry, Janeane Garofalo, Lewis Black, Wanda Sykes, Colin Quinn, Ed Helms, Jeff Garlin, Jon Stewart, The Upright Citizens Brigade, Sarah Silverman and so, so many others who presented the twisted side of life in a way that made people laugh.

Every other night of the of the week, bands would do the first shows of their careers at Luna. Thousands of artists performed there. Some of the most notable performances were by The Strokes, Interpol, Elliott Smith, Kid Rock, The Rogers Sisters, Stellastarr*, and Longwave.

Now, we are located in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn! Our building is centrally located and folks can get here easily. It’s a wonderful building with no columns to obstruct any line of sight. There is truly not a bad spot in the club.
This is a much larger venue and artists will be performing here from all over the world. We’ll try to keep the qualities that made the old club successful and bring you new experiences that would have not been possible in the past.

Come in and check out the new Luna Lounge…

Visit Luna Lounge's website.

Previously
An article on music venues in the NY Times

Tags: Luna Lounge

on their web site, it says "independent live music venue". does this mean that ClearChannel/LiveNation is NOT involved? Everything i heard previously about the place made it seem like it was going to be a ClearChannel venue.
I guess it would be a good idea to downplay the corporate involvement at the beginning (even though it's dishonest).

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2007 8:55 AM

the real question is will they keep the foosball table?

Posted by john | January 16, 2007 9:26 AM

go the fuck back to Omaha.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2007 10:24 AM

LiveNation will book one show a week.

The new Luna Lounge is no longer free. What made the original venue great was the no cover rule. If you wanted to take a chance on some local band you never heard, you went to the Luna Lounge. Now it is just another venue.

R.I.P. the real Luna Lounge

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2007 10:31 AM

AND- it's 21+ ONLY to enter

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2007 12:00 PM

At least it's 21+ to enter.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2007 1:24 PM

Brooklyn needs more live venues

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2007 2:00 PM

Luna Lounge was always 21+. Sad to see their cover policy change. Before it was no cover/expensive drinks. Now with the cover, I bet you there still will be expensive drinks. :)

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2007 2:33 PM

I almost called it time for a "road trip"... then I saw all the LiveNation stuff

Posted by Loud Is Relative | January 16, 2007 10:23 PM

1) There was a great bar/club in this same block in the early 90s, when the Lorimer/Graham stops were considered way out there. Tony Millionaire was a regular.

2) Is Luna going to revive the comedy night?

Posted by Hudson | January 17, 2007 12:03 AM

anon 10:24am wrote:
"i think the 1st post is so fucking lame. its 2007, we're losing a war and our country is lead by a jackass, and you are concerned with the show being a ClearChannel venue? are you stuck in 2002? have you heard of LiveNation? does anyone not named Oberst still care?"

Uhhh.... yes. I (and anyone that i would be interested in associating with) do care whether or not a venue is run by musician-friendly, community (scene) oriented, artistic-minded type people rather than a homogenizing, money-hungry corporation that doesn't give a damn about supporting a scene.
It's true though, not enough musicians who are "not named Oberst" do care. Bands like Deerhoof, Les Savy Fav, Dinosaur Jr. that I always resected for their seemingly independent style of operating, play corporate venues.
With your logic, i.e. losing the war, etc., why should we even listen to music anymore? Why should we have any independent principles? Your logic would make our Neo Con administration proud.

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2007 9:27 AM

The new place will put every other music venue in Brooklyn to shame. I feel that checking out live indie music at shitholes in NYC gets old (i.e. Knitting Factory, NorthSix, Bowery). It's the same rush you get when driving a new car, with that new smell to it. I had the opportunity to already see the new place and it is incredible to say the least. I don't see why we all have to sit here and dissect whether or not My Chemical Romance will play there? So don't be a stubborn and jealous structure functionalist. Are you too scared to try something new? That attitude gets old and tiresome very quickly. Embrace the new Luna Lounge and welcome it to Williamsburg!

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2007 1:09 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2007 1:10 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2007 1:10 PM

Did anyone go this past weekend?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2007 12:39 PM

I was at the grand opening and I thought it was great. I'm excited to see a new venue in this neighborhood who keeps its doors open to young bands and also will bring us the bands we know and love. It feels like a genuine family establishment with a lot of familiar faces at the door and box office and behind the bar. The place is HUGE and it sounds AWESOME. And the bathrooms were clean and well stocked! No lines! Can you say that about any place in Manhattan??
And they will have free nights - I asked. This Saturday is a free show. All bases covered... I think we've got a home run with the new Luna Lounge.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2007 10:21 AM

Wow, it seems like someone from Luna Lounge is trolling here for business. What a shame, it used to be a nice little place, now they are barely opening and are desperate for business.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2007 2:08 PM

actually, i was there as well, and it really is a lovely new venue. there's almost nothing bad about it. sound was a little spotty at the comas show but it was the venue's first show ever so i'm sure it will get cleared up...

Posted by sara | January 23, 2007 2:17 PM

Hey folks,

Thanks so much for giving us a chance in Williamsburg. I really want you to know that we are going to do everything we can to bring many of the best qualities of the old Luna Lounge to the new venue while allowing this new version a chance to evolve and become something new and exciting for the next decade.

Luna will be the home of some great shows to come and yes, you'll have to pay the bands for performing most of the time now. It's a good thing to do and I am very happy to be able to provide an opportunity for musicians to earn a living. It's funny, but this sort of reminds me of when Dylan went electric... Odd comparison? Maybe, maybe not...

Thanks again for your support. It's really appreciated...

Best wishes,

Rob Sacher
Luna Lounge

Posted by Rob Sacher | January 23, 2007 11:59 PM

I don't think that last comment was the only one from Rob in this thread. It sounds like a few of those anonymous "sales pitch" type comments are from him also!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2007 8:20 AM

I bet if BV checks the IPs, they are all the same. What a shame that Rob has to troll for business.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2007 8:59 AM

Hey, good luck to Rob & the new Luna. I spent a fair share of time at the old Luna, both onstage and off, and it was a relica of its time. These times is different times.

Posted by Dfactor | January 24, 2007 1:36 PM

seriously, it's a really great venue, if ambitious in size. there will be a review up sometime soon on nymetro.com.

cheers!

Posted by sara | January 24, 2007 2:40 PM

I just wanted to clear some things up:

Full disclosure: I work for Luna.

Clear Channel does not own Live Nation. They used to, but then Live Nation split off and became an independent, publicly shared company, of which Clear Channel owns a majority share. Luna Lounge has the final say over every booking that Live Nation offers the club. Luna Lounge is NOT a Clear Channel venue.

The cover charge for most shows is between $5 and $10. That's the money you save on cab fare from not going into Manhattan. I think most people can live with that, and the ones that can't are probably 21-.

Our drinks aren't expensive. We charge the same price as anyone else in Williamsburg.

The sound was a little spotty this weekend. That PA system was stilled being tuned and should be all set for next weekend. Nonetheless, I think the space's sound is pretty awesome, especially with a room full of people.

Yes, we are keeping the foosball table. We just don't know where to put it yet.

Haters: Have at it!

- Daggers

Posted by Daggers | January 24, 2007 3:23 PM

"That PA system was stilled" = The PA system was still (duh)

Posted by Daggers | January 24, 2007 3:33 PM

"The cover charge for most shows is between $5 and $10. That's the money you save on cab fare from not going into Manhattan"

You are making two assumptions:

1) People live in Williamsburg already

2) People take cabs into Manhattan (we have subways you know)

Luna Lounge shows are probably not free because the new location will have zero foot traffic unlike the Ludlow location.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2007 3:58 PM

It's hard to compare the new Luna with the old. It's such a different animal - in scale, location / foot traffic. But taking it at face value I'd say it's pretty awesome. It's huge but something about it feels like it's retained a small club attitude.

And some shows are free - this Saturday for example, with the Library and Umami. Hopefully more free nights to follow. Definitely worth checking out.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2007 8:58 AM

Wow, even the above post reads like an advertisement. So far two LL employees have chimed in, so they are reading this site. It is so apparent that they are writing the glowing reviews about a place that has shown ONE concert (which judging by accounts, was sparsely attended by those not connected).

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2007 1:51 PM

People! I am amused! I am a musician, in a small indie band, working hard to play other cities. New York is not my home, but let me tell you, the condition of most cities and their music scenes are pretty bad. Most cities are having clubs close. So when I hear of people complaining about new ones opening, I have to pinch myself. Be glad you have clubs, people who want to put their money on the line to open them and people that want to go to them! I'm from the Chicago area, my wife and I have owned our own businesses, so I understand what it takes to put yourself at risk from more than one angle. Give the owner a break for chrissakes!

Posted by Dan | March 5, 2007 1:37 PM

no shit dan! god it's pathetic to read all this hate mail, i hope all these haters have boring office jobs that piss them off (like me), and aren't doing this in their free time

Posted by mick jagger | April 3, 2007 2:15 PM

I love "Clear Channel does not own Live Nation," followed shortly by "Clear Channel owns a majority share" They also share a board of directors, a payroll plan, and are entwined in numerous other ways.

As for saying people shoulf focus on the war and not this, perhaps you are not aware that Clear Channel has censored anti-war statements on the billboards they own, pulled artists from the airwaves on radio stations they own when artists espouse anti-war and anti-administration sentiments, and have put on pro-war concerts.

Posted by anonymous | May 19, 2007 5:00 PM

here’s something that bothers me about Luna Lounge. It touts itself as an “independent live music venue” on the home page of the web site. My question is- independent of what? LiveNation obviously pays for their ads in the local press. LiveNation also books most of the better shows (i.e. the ones that actually have the potential to fill the cavernous room) on their calender.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2007 7:29 PM

How strict is the 21+ policy, if say, the patron is 20 and 11/12ths?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2007 11:54 AM

Luna Lounge must be getting desperate. I just received an e-mail from them (I have been on their mailing lists for YEARS). The subject was "13 Big Shows Coming to Luna Lounge". Then they list the bands: Kathia Jane Band, La Laque , Squirrels From Hell, etc... Who, who and who?

Not saying these bands are not great, but for LL to call them big shows is a huge overstatement. The old vibe is long gone.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 5:56 PM

I might be in the area pretty soon, and perhaps I can check out the place and hang out with some friends...I am not sure if it is still in operation though as the last post in this website was in 2008!

Posted by verapinay | April 17, 2011 7:20 AM

Posted by verapinay | April 17, 2011 7:23 AM

I opine that to get the loans from banks you should have a good motivation. However, once I have got a car loan, just because I was willing to buy a car.

Posted by MoralesRonda27 | May 24, 2012 4:02 AM