Posted in MP3 | To Do | dance | music | tour dates on January 19, 2007

MSTRKRFT @ Hiro Ballroom, NYC | June 22, 2006 (CRED)
MSTRKRFT @ Hiro Ballroom

DOWNLOAD: Panthers - Thank Me With Your Hands (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Metric - Monster Hospital (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Death From Above 1979 - Sexy Results (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Bloc Party - 2 More Years (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: Wolfmother (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)

DOWNLOAD: John Digweed - Kiss 100 57:10 2006 mix (MP3)

John Digweed @ The Showbox, Seattle | June 11, 2006 (CRED)
John Digweed @ The Showbox

Indie Club (aka the Diamonds 07 tour)

I come from the progressive house/trance scene of the mid to late nineties, but the convergence of John Digweed and MSTRKRFT (they're touring together) is one I'm looking forward to.

John Digweed (of Sasha & Digweed fame) is a phenomenal DJ, and has been responsible for groundbreaking music, arguably the first DJ mix compilation, and spreading electronic music (and the Superstar DJ phenomenon) to more of the globe than all but Carl Cox and Sasha. Digweed's record label Bedrock has been a very consistent source of progressive electronic club tracks, with releases by Nick Muir, Hernan Cattaneo, Misstress Barbara, and more. I've seen him DJ many times, and his technical skill and musical taste level is really incredible, but very much rooted in "pure" electronic genres.

MSTRKRFT on the other hand have a somewhat different cache in the dance scene. Spawned from the ashes of Death From Above 1979, the group's remixes of indie rock singles have catapulted them to the forefront of the indie dance/rocklectro movement. MSTRKRFT is more likely to be heard coming off the lips of a kid leaving a Metric show in Austin than a clubber coming out of Crobar at 10 am. Not to say that they aren't rising stars in the larger electronic spectrum - their LP The Looks was a fantastic slice of the sound of 2006, but definitely no Homework.

Let's discuss this pairing.
Will you go see them? Is it happening in a club you regulary attend? I'm guessing not. New Yorkers - will you go to Pacha for this? Have you heard of John Digweed?

Tour dates at the end of this post.

And who's coming to Miami?

Daft Punk @ Coachella 2006 (CRED)
Daft Punk @ Coachella

Saturday, March 10th Denver, CO Vinyl
Tuesday, March 13th St. Louis, MO Dantes
Thursday, March 15th Houston, TX Warehouse Live
Friday, March 16th Austin, TX SPIN
Saturday, March 17th Dallas, TX Karma
Sunday, March 18th New Orleans, LA Ampersand
Tuesday, March 20th Miami, FL Pawn Shop (WMC)
Tuesday, March 27th Atlanta, GA Blue
Wednesday, March 28th Nashville, TN Club Play
Thursday, March 29th Charlotte, NC The Forum
Friday, March 30th Washington, DC 9:30 Club
Saturday, March 31st New York City, NY Pacha

Elsewhere on BV
* The Gossip | 2007 Tour Dates & MSTRKRFT remix
* LCD Soundsystem "Sound of Silver" - new album & Tour Dates
* Bjork working on new album
* Urb cover girl Lily Allen remix
* Flosstradamus played Studio B
* last week's dance post

-david

Tags: Lindstrom

i also come from the progressive house scene of the mid 90s and have seen digweed spin on a number of occassions. one of my all time fav djs. i was living in dc at the time, where the weekly parties at Buzz played host to the biggest djs in the world. so i was lucky enough to see digweed spin without having to travel great lengths - although we did also drive up to nyc from dc the last friday of every month to see him and sasha play at twilo. but as we crossed over to the new millenium, the scene, the music, all kinda died. but as a lot of us feeling, the dance music scene is starting to kick some serious ass again. it's been years since i've seen digweed spin - but this pairing with MSTRKRFT might just bring me out...even if its at pacha

Posted by andy h | January 19, 2007 10:56 AM

Josh Wink's music panel is retarded.

MSTRKRFT is the shit. Get out and see him next time he comes around.

Love the Week in Dance addition to the B Vegan!

Posted by Pat | January 19, 2007 11:01 AM

Saw Daft Punk in Miami a couple months back and it was one the best shows I have ever seen....if you ever have the chance to see these guys, GO!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2007 11:36 AM

sasha and digweed at twilo...the spawning of eurotrash.

Posted by i come from the progressive house scene | January 19, 2007 11:53 AM

I thought Daft Punk was calling it quits - did I make that up?

Who is David Bruno?

Posted by rob $$ | January 19, 2007 11:54 AM

I think we come from similar musical backgrounds. I've never seen digweed play but I do own 'Northern Exposure: Expiditions' & a few of his Global Underground CD. I have seen Tiesto & Pete Tong & a ton of local celeb dj's & spent many years following around dj's like a teenage groupie.

I am liking this merger between Indie & Electro, where as it seems a few years ago an indie kid saying he liked techno, house or trance was basically social suicide.

Seeing MSTRKRFT & Digweed together would be a treat.

Posted by missingtoof | January 19, 2007 11:59 AM

This thread is giving me flashbacks.

Posted by sara | January 19, 2007 12:18 PM

i'll admit there was a time in my life when digweed was very important, but i don't understand this pairing at all... i got the same press release and laughed. is digweed even relevant?

indie-dance (or whatever you want to call it) started in part as a rejection of mega clubs and superstar djs like digweed, sasha, etc. embracing digweed at this point seems kinda backwards and yucky. like it's all headed back into a direction where creativity in dance music doesn't exist. i mean, twilo was THE lack of culture and creativity in dance music.

but then maybe something good will come of it. indie-dance is feeling kinda stale these days. omg... i just hope we don't have to suffer through a nu-trance movement... with guitars.

maybe arcade fire will start touring with britney spears. that's about on the same level.

Posted by Travis | January 19, 2007 12:28 PM

Man, I love this weekly feature. As much as I like my Isis, I cherish my vast collection of Global Underground CDs.

Posted by klaus_kinski | January 19, 2007 12:36 PM

no digweed
and certainly no pacha
I don't like/understand this pairing.

Posted by snag | January 19, 2007 4:26 PM

That chick's thingies are small.

Posted by Butt-head | January 19, 2007 4:46 PM

ok i was at sasha's U.S. debut at a tiny private club in north florida in 1991. i was into that music for a very long time. digweed played there too as special guests regularly for years. now im going to say some things here that may be harsh, but i think its about time.

MSTRKRFT remixes are fucking dancefloor gold. sasha, digweed trance, house, progressive house and all the rest have been boring for atleast 10 years. i am so sick of all that music not because i dont like it anymore, but it seems like americans just get fixated and cant move on to anything else. in the begining it was the innovation that set that movement apart from everything else. but then the drugs took over and fueled that movement which under normal circumstances wouldnt have made it past 1995. the people who are doing it now are just suburbanites following in faded drug-induced delirium a decade behind. without innovation, then why bother?

and dont get me started on all the dj "rules" to mixing and formats and genres etc. everyone hates the laptop djs, but look at the rooms they play in and tell me its not a party. purist djs have alienated themselves by refusing to grow, explore and ultimately evolve. this pairing of MSTRKRFT and digweed seems like an attempt to either jumpstart the ravers glowsticking and whistling into 2001 (theyre still late,) or preserve the dying careers of djs like sasha and digweed. and yes i know they will always have shows, but so does rod stewart.

if it were me, i wouldnt go until MSTRKRFT went on, or i would leave as soon as he was finished.

Posted by maynard | January 19, 2007 9:17 PM

I saw daft punk at coachella and it changed my life.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2007 8:12 PM

Woah woah woah. I wish Daft Punk were playing at MY party.

I'm not a big trance head by any stretch... I played with Chris Lawrence two years ago and, though many appreciated his skill, I thought he was a wad of stink-nuggets. I'm totally not getting the Digweed / MSTRKRFT pairing. MSTRKRFT is appreciable... and growing, but is Digweed? I say nay.

The future of progressive dance music lies in the pairing of classic methods and future methods. For example: ESP Woody McBride (Communique Records), already a global name, has been actually growing in popularity since joining with Sursumcorda artists Dave Wesley and St. Vitas. Anyhow, their music is at sursumcorda.com and I'll be interviewing ESP and St. Vitas on my radio program, The F-M Experiment on Friday night - 7-9pm EST on myspace.com/fmexperiment or radiofreefargo.com

That's my input --

Posted by Joyride | January 31, 2007 5:24 PM

not to be anal, but why do a lot of folks here refer to MSTRKRFT as 'him'?

its actually 'them'. JFK and AL-P. yes, two guys, not one.

both of them super-talented in their own right, and absolutely GOLD together....

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2007 5:23 PM

this post was sick.
thanks for all the mstrkrft tunes.

Posted by DICE! | February 11, 2007 11:53 PM

Following my own exploration, thousands of persons all over the world receive the loan from various banks. Hence, there is good chances to find a short term loan in all countries.

Posted by LangUrsula | December 2, 2011 4:02 AM