Posted in NYC | To Do | veggie on January 29, 2007

Vegan Bakery

As a vegan who goes more for the decadent cakes available at Atlas Cafe (and the new Little Atlas) (and elsewhere), I have to admit that I don't LOVE the healthier stuff they sell at the vegan bakery on St. Marks. I do love the bakery itself though, and I make it a point to buy something there almost every time I pass by. Unfortunately I won't have that option anymore. Like the 2nd Ave Deli, CBGB, Continental, and many others before it, the Vegan Bakery is about to be priced out of the neighborhood.

Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen has been an institution on Saint Marks Place for 16 years. Now, its landlord is threatening it with eviction and it’s scheduled to close its doors forever on March 31st.
They're not going without a fight though. Join the League of Humane Voters of New York City (LOHV-NYC), Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen, Council Member Rosie Mendez (D-Manhattan), Assemblyman Brian Kavanagh (D-Manhattan) and Rev. Billy of the Church of Stop Shopping this Saturday February 3rd at 2:15 pm in Tompkins Square Park (7th between A & B), NYC. Come for the protest, come to take pictures, or just come to get some free hot apple cider and vegan baked goods.

seems like the gentrification's really accelerated in the past year or so... at least for places i go to. cb's fine. and i'm not too choked up about the bakery. but ALL the decent video stores in the city have officially been shut down. the movie place... come on. do we really need another bank?

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2007 8:11 PM

Continental didn't close.

And no amount of protest will change the fact that the landlord has every right to maximize his investment.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2007 8:40 PM

they could move to brooklyn. i've read that there are many brooklyn vegans.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2007 8:52 PM

I live a block away from there yet I have never felt compelled to go inside. Something about vegan baking just sounds so unappetizing. I did just see them get featured on NYC-TV ch 25 though, and the host was raving about the vegan cheesecake they make

Posted by BK | January 29, 2007 11:38 PM

all the better, who in there right mind would eat vegan baked goods? I am sure they would do better in brooklyn where all the trendy vegan retards are.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2007 1:01 AM

VEGAN CHEESECAKE? that makes no sence, dick licker! It's CHEESECAKE! what don't you get about that CHEESE and CAKE... ya know? ...dairy is needed for each of those!

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2007 1:04 AM

They used tofu instead of cheese. I must admit it looked pretty good. I can't imagine it tasting good, but who knows.

Posted by BK | January 30, 2007 1:22 AM

I suppose the irony in Mr. "Trendy Vegan Retards" not being able to spell was unintentional.

Posted by Adam | January 30, 2007 2:53 AM

Wow...these responses. More proof that NYC really really sucks these days. No joke..you guys are assholes. Please go back to where you came from. Please.

Posted by gurple | January 30, 2007 9:59 AM

don't you hate it when the white people in your neighborhood are replaced by richer white people who don't care nearly as much about pricing people out as you did when you moved into your "transitional" neighborhood?

Posted by anonymous | January 30, 2007 11:13 AM

I agree with you BV - I tend to go for the less-healthy vegan baked goods, but I love the Whole Earth Bakery and try to support it whenever I'm in the area. The owner and workers are so nice and have been doing this forever, and it saddens me that they are getting screwed now.

To all the haters: no matter what you think, plenty of people obviously eat and enjoy vegan baked goods, because this bakery has been around for a long time and is usually packed when I go (not that it takes many customers to pack it, but still).

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2007 11:25 AM

Although I'm not vegan, I am lactose intolerant and have a very senstitive stomach. I avoid dairy as much I can - so, I usually love vegan baked goods! And I'm sure there are plenty of others like me...

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2007 11:27 AM

Other than the $5 slice of pizza, which is unreal, this place does nothing for me. Everything is bland. I think I had a bite of cake that was decent, but also cost like $6. Anyways, it sucks their leaving, I bet some vegans really liked it. Oh, and the sticky buns weren't too bad either.

Posted by brassbonanza | January 30, 2007 11:44 AM

"its landlord is threatening it with eviction"

No, its landlord is raising the rent. It's the bakery's choice not to pay it.

And so it goes.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2007 11:49 AM

Why would anybody who HATES vegans and does not understand them even bother to write anything on the blog?

I mean, they would have to be the dumbest hicks in the city to even bother?

The blog is called Brooklyn Vegan you MORON!

Just go and shoot yourself in the head and stop breathing.

Please.

I'm sure no one would miss you.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2007 12:44 PM

Speaking of vegan pizza, one of the options at Una Pizza Napoletana (unapizza.com) is cheeseless, if not vegan. It's $22+tax per pie (serves one or two people), though. I think it's worth the price as an occasional treat.

Posted by this post has made me hungry | January 30, 2007 6:01 PM

The Villager ran a front-page story on Whole Earth. Cool story.

Posted by Rob Agar | February 20, 2007 4:57 PM

The Villager ran a front-page story on Whole Earth. Cool story.

Posted by Rob Agar | February 20, 2007 4:57 PM

The Villager ran a front-page story on Whole Earth. Cool story.

Posted by Rob Agar | February 20, 2007 4:57 PM

yes...The owner and workers are so nice and have been doing this forever, and it saddens me that they are getting screwed now.

Posted by kids jobs | May 14, 2009 8:14 PM

jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds jobs for 14 year olds Jessica's Blog jessica Blog joan’s blog jamiechase blog jessicahull blog jenniferhull blog jamie blog Jessicahull's Blog shirleyjones blog jessica blog jessica blog

Posted by jobs for 14 year olds | June 13, 2009 5:35 AM

it’s nice ,i want to get one

Posted by louis | October 17, 2009 1:12 PM

Nice post.

Posted by EMR | January 9, 2010 10:39 AM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this,would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

Posted by itgeek | January 26, 2010 5:00 AM

asfehgerhuyrtjh

Posted by china fashion jewelry | April 3, 2010 1:35 AM

Posted by tory burch | April 24, 2012 9:06 AM

I agree with you BV, I've read that there are many brooklyn vegans.

Posted by Michelle Druner | March 31, 2013 12:04 PM

Thankt this is perfectly post!

Posted by Fotowoltaika | June 2, 2013 8:43 AM

urn off computers at the end of the day. Many schools have large computer labs, and turning them off, rather than leaving them in hibernation mode, can make a significant difference to electricity consumption.

Posted by Delhi sightseeing | September 2, 2013 7:57 AM

I love how you guys are so supportive of these places. In reality, you go have something mediocre for like $6. Its luck fuck this place.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2013 4:25 PM

since when did whole foods have a vegan bakery?

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2013 5:06 PM