Posted in MP3 | music | video on February 25, 2007

1) "Intervention" live on Saturday Night Live...

2) "Keep the Car Running" live on Saturday Night Live...

"After the end of the live show, the band stayed and performed three extra songs for the audience and cast members. Win came onto the floor and a veritable dance party of SNL cast members encircled him - the last performer to do anything like this was Bono." [Annie via E-mail]

3) The MP3s ripped from the above video

4) backstage @ SNL....

5) The NPR MP3 & stream from their final amazing NYC performance

6) MP3s from their Thursday & Friday performances in NYC

Slow as I am, I never posted my own review from the NYC shows. You've read so much about these shows already, so I'll just keep things short. I went Friday & Saturday. Friday I left feeling the show could have been better. The Saturday one (the one NPR taped) will without a doubt top my favorite shows of the year - the energy, crowd (listen to the NPR stream & you can hear Win agree), band, double-encore, opening song in the middle of the crowd, etc... - it was realy (I know, overused, meaningless word...) amazing.

Then Saturday night became even double-amazing because from Arcade Fire I ran to the remote Brooklyn location that hosted the secret-ish !!! show. SO GOOD TOO. More on that later though (hopefully).

Previously
* Coachella sold out | Arcade Fire NYC residency continues
* Arcade Fire played Judson Church
* Arcade Fire is here ++ more 2007 Tour Dates

Fuck the arcade fire bk vegan, how was the PILLOW FIGHT SHOW!

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2007 3:48 PM

Anyone know where to get a full recording of the Thursday night (2/15) AF show?

Posted by Benjamin | February 25, 2007 4:26 PM

I was at the SNL rehearsal last night, and I really think they played a different song as their 2nd in the rehearsal. Not completely familiar with the new album but I think it was (Antichrist Television Blues), it was the same song in the 3rd video above, the crazy dancing one; and I liked the rehearsal performances better than the live show performances.

Posted by birdboy | February 25, 2007 4:28 PM

never mind, I am wrong; "Keep the Car Running" was the 2nd song in both the rehearsal and the live show.

Posted by birdboy | February 25, 2007 4:33 PM

smashing your guitar is so 90s.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2007 5:07 PM

what was written in tape on the guitar? ...that he ultimately smashed.

Posted by Brian | February 25, 2007 5:57 PM

same here. caught friday and saturday, and while fridays was great, saturdays was intense as fuck.

Posted by the delay | February 25, 2007 6:04 PM

"what was written in tape on the guitar? ...that he ultimately smashed."

It said: SAK VIDE PA KANPE

It's a popular Haitian proverb which literally translates to "an empty sack cannot stand up." Meaning, hungry people can't work.

It seems like it's used in alot of different contexts: worker solidarity and unionizing, school meal programs for children, and to raise awareness about the health crisis and starvation which currently plagues Haiti. (This makes sense considering the band's advocacy for Partners in Health.) So I guess by smashing the guitar, he was symbolically attacking poverty/hunger/disease?

I have to say, it always pains me to see instruments destroyed, no matter what the reason.

Posted by coconut curry | February 25, 2007 6:20 PM

Sounds like somebody was tailin' the BadmintonStamps posse last Saturday...

Posted by Philabuster | February 25, 2007 6:28 PM

Arcade Fire are awesome no matter what they do.
www.mybigmouthstrikesagain.com

Posted by Christopher | February 25, 2007 7:13 PM

why do people love this band so much? the music is so recycled and they have negative points in the personality column (montreal). and people don't just like them, they fucking LOVE them. their fans are terrible, maybe even as bad as dave matthews band fans. i understand liking them, they have some decent pop songs. but i could never love such a boring band. people need to stop running with whatever pitchfork says. yeah, beach house has some cool tunes but there is no way that that record should have scored that high, and out of no where. i feel like they freaked at the end of the year and were like OH SHIT WE'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE SAME BANDS SINCE 2004 WE NEED SOMETHING NEW OH WHATS THIS IT SOUNDS INOFFENSIVE PUT IT IN THE TOP RECORDS OF THE YEAR.

whatever. you guys are gay and i'm awesome peace.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2007 7:42 PM

he...smashed...that guitar? what a fucking loser.

that was even worse than when conor oberst switched to a Squier Stratocaster for the last song of his Desaparecidos (see traditional and forgotten music of North American, 2003) set at the Saddle Creek CMJ showcase at Irving Plaza. because conor wasn't on national TV.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2007 7:46 PM

"OH SHIT WE'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE SAME BANDS SINCE 2004 WE NEED SOMETHING NEW OH WHATS THIS IT SOUNDS INOFFENSIVE PUT IT IN THE TOP RECORDS OF THE YEAR.

whatever. you guys are gay and i'm awesome peace."

what a clown.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2007 9:21 PM

Ignorance is sometimes painful to see, isn't it.

Posted by eggshells | February 25, 2007 11:15 PM

eggshells is gay.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2007 11:30 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 12:47 AM

desaparecidos were awesome. definitely not forgotten by me.

Posted by MJ | February 26, 2007 1:23 AM

"I don't understand how people get so offended by other people loving a band, and they have to bash them for it, just to make themselves feel more important or something. it's pretty pathetic."

AMEN!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 1:35 AM

why is youtube such a tool?

bleh man bleh.

Posted by burn it down | February 26, 2007 3:23 AM

As for the guitar-busting move, it looked like Win broke a string during the song. I assume the busting was due to that frustration, but who knows? Coconut Curry's explanation sounds even more plausible from these artsy-fartsy symbolism types.

Posted by Eggs1234 | February 26, 2007 8:00 AM

I wasn't able to get tickets for any of the shows this year, but I saw them last year in Central Park, and even without the Bowie appearance in the encore it was one of the best concerts I've been to. They have incredible energy and intensity onstage and it sounds awesome. I hope the tickets for the May shows don't sell out in 10 seconds.

Posted by Cornelius | February 26, 2007 8:51 AM

"The SNL performances were good, but the songs weren't great. They really seemed to pull way too heavily from Springsteen. I haven't heard the new album, but I hope the recorded work comes off a bit more original."

it doesn't. it's pretty disappointing, imo. the second song is so close to "on the darkside" from that crappy 80's film, "eddie and the cruisers".

let's all say it together: sophmore slump.

Posted by no news but bad news | February 26, 2007 9:06 AM

it's funny that someone mentioned conor oberst....i couldn't help but think that their SNL performance reminded me of a weak bright eyes.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 9:22 AM

intervention on SNL made me cry while they were playing it. i was also way too over-emotional all day long, but still, i thought it was very moving. all that emotion went out the window as the guitar was smashed, though - it just seemed like a misplaced ending to a song like that.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 9:22 AM

"why do people love this band so much? the music is so recycled"

That is funny because on another message board someone was complaining about Win smashing his guitar and compared it to when Kurt Cobain tried (and failed) to do the same thing. That got me thinking about how a lot of music criticism these days is about how much something is "derivative" of something else, and I see that is the first criticism here also. The funny thing is that a lot people hold figures like Cobain up as Platonic ideals of what "new" music could be, and why things were so much better when; but had the internet been as big when "Teen Spirit" was released how many of these same people would be jumping on these boards and saying something to the effect of "yeah I liked it better when it was called Husker Du."

So the point is, who cares if people like stuff you don't? Are you that upset that Rod Stewart can still sell out the Garden but Yo La Tengo can only sell out Maxwells? There was a time when people just listened to what THEY LIKED and really didn't care what the larger culture thought of it; why not return to that time?

Posted by Tim | February 26, 2007 9:50 AM

i remember you saying that you were never really a fan of !!!, so i'm glad you enjoyed the show. they're really one of those bands you can't fully judge until you've seen them live. they're just a good time party band.

i also kind of refused to judge arcade fire until i saw them live and i'm in love.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 10:14 AM

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 10:14 AM

tim, i said the music was recycled and by no means did i mean derivative. there is a big difference. i also think you meade a really obvious "if it were then!" statement which is so pointless.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 11:02 AM

At least Conor Oberst is cute. This guy looks like Tom Verlaine as a ghoulish zombie linebacker.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 11:04 AM

these songs are really boring. indie kids are hypnotized.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 11:07 AM

videos work again (for now)

Posted by brooklynvegan | February 26, 2007 11:59 AM

i was reallyreally impressed at intervention on SNL... they sounded f'n great... especially his voice...just, damn.

some pix from the thursday night show incase any of you are interested :

Posted by redboy | February 26, 2007 12:01 PM

I noticed the broken string too. At first I thought he decided on a whim to pull the rest out. I wasn't sure if the smashing was planned or not. It just seemed kind of weird and out of character. But I respect him for being outspoken.

Why are people always commenting on Regine's appearance? She's a badass who plays multiple instruments and has a great stage presence. I think that's way more important than her looks.

Posted by coconut curry | February 26, 2007 12:10 PM

coconut curry must be one ugly asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 3:12 PM

the bible is streaming at nme.com's media player. giddyup.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2007 3:35 PM

so it's cool to hate on indie bands that become successful?

Posted by win butler | February 27, 2007 10:43 AM

not at all. more power to modest mouse who CONTINUE to make great music. when they couldn't get people to see them at a basement show and when they sell out an arena, arcade fire has always been schmaltzy and boring.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2007 11:02 AM

Arcade Fire is schmaltzy and boring? hate to break it to you cheif, but it doesn't get much schmaltzier than Modest Mouse's "Fire it Up." Float On was already heading towards bad top 40 but now it's just getting ridiculous.

At the same time, Neon Bible is pretty disapointing after Funeral was so good. The Springsteen shit is intolerable.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2007 1:29 PM

"why do people love this band so much? "

Anonymous,

Although I am not really a fan of the Arcade Fire, I commend the band for finding what i hear is a new sound. They use alot of unique singing techniques and instruments that you do not hear in alot of today's bands. Although they are not my cup of tea, there is no reason to call fans of Arcade Fire "gay" for liking this band.

Posted by josh | February 27, 2007 2:03 PM

oh come on - i bet some of them are at least a little gay.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2007 2:47 PM

Post::::::I think AF are a great band, but the girl in the band is really fugly! No wonder the camera never focused on her.

Response:::::: Loser......She's fucking hot. U actually used the word Fugly.......?

Posted by BEEZ | February 27, 2007 2:58 PM

Posted by BEEZ | February 27, 2007 2:59 PM

"oh come on - i bet some of them are at least a little gay. "

And so what if they are.

Posted by josh | February 27, 2007 4:03 PM

Not only are some of the fans gay, apparently the band is too:

Just remember, Homophobia is gay.

Posted by gay-arcade-fire-lover thomaus | February 27, 2007 9:38 PM

Everyone knows that "gay bands" Web site is a hoax, right?

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2007 4:39 AM

If your favorite band isn't named after an animal, U R gay.

Posted by Suspicious Package | February 28, 2007 1:26 PM

josh, there is nothing new about arcade fire's sound. and you're gay. gay in the sense that you have sex with men and like it. you're gay, dude.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2007 9:10 PM

I am occasionally embarrassed about how much of an Arcade Fire fan I've turned into. I think most of it had to do with seeing them play before I had a clue who they were (back in 2003). Following that, I've watched their young career grow with fascination. Since then, they've seemed to have done nothing stupid or ignorant -- other than becoming slightly famous. (Part of indie credibility seems to hinge on listening to bands that are obscure.)

I disagree with the "nothing new" comment. There are very few totally new sounds being produced by any bands at this point in the genre of rock or pop music. But Arcade Fire did take an assortment of sounds, and present them in a fresh way. I was startled as I watched and listened to the first song of their set four years ago. I was sold, and was in awe, by the middle of the second song. I was attracted to the naive energy and spirit that has been evident at most of their shows over the years, and was evident on "Arcade Fire" and "Funeral."

The SNL performance, as broadcast, did not transcend through the TV set like I would have hoped. Whether this was the format, or the band having changed, remains to be seen. I have tickets to an upcoming show in a venue that seats about 3,000. They are now popular enough that the show and the one the previous day sold out in hours. They probably could have doubled or tripled that. So, I have to face that this little band is now approaching "big rock star" status.

So in some ways, I guess I should resent all of these Arcade Fire fans too. I'm sure I'll never get the chance to talk to RĂ©gine or Win again. I'll never watch from the edge of the stage again. But I don't resent all these fans. Because these people are fans because they loved the music. They are excited by the shows. The energy has infected them. It made them happy and/or gay. Why would anybody want to take that away from them?

Lighten up. If you don't like the way Arcade Fire sounds -- fine. I hope you find a different band that flips your switch, and make you happy and/or gay, too.

Posted by actually-straight-arcade-fire-lover thomaus | March 1, 2007 10:32 PM

sad to see so much hate for a band that is trying to do something sincere.. i love their music and there a nice story behind the band. thats all i can ask for... alot of indie related shit these days just reminds me of going to a bar , getting wasted dancing with some girls and blowing some coke or something . i dont know , arcade fire doesnt do that for me.. their music puts me in a different mindset than most other music thats been released lately..

Posted by mike | March 3, 2007 11:31 PM

I'm glad there are decent bands that aren't afraid to piss people off, or turn people off, by expressing a political/social message. we need more of this, the world has a lot of changing to do. It makes the music that much more relevant.

Posted by julie_southerland | March 7, 2007 6:41 PM

dunno what being vegan has to to with the arcade fire. but this is a useful page anyway. thanks!

Posted by Sean | March 8, 2007 4:28 PM

It is sooo amusing to see this strange dichotomy with Arcade Fire observers---so many love their beautifully ethereal flavor and so many others seem to hate cause they can't bring themselves to the level of love involved..

Arcade Fire are just down right tremendous! Their SNL performance to boot! Even the guitar smash, contrived or not. I think Win recognizes that "everything has been done before" and that is why he did it half assed, in an ironic way.

It is always easier to sit like a lump of poo and critisize someone elses hard work, rather then create something special of your own..

The question the contemporary world should ask is what am i contributing---What is my art?

Love the apocolypse

Posted by TimedEnd | April 1, 2007 8:18 PM

I understand if this last comment I made was totally nihilistic and in vain..

for I just saw the performance last nite on a march 31st rerun..

but if you end up reading it the butterfly might flap it's wings in the most peculiar way and prevent "the man" from pressing "the button"..

Posted by TimedEnd | April 1, 2007 8:22 PM

or if you end up reading it the butterfly might flap it's wings in the most peculiar way and cause "the man" to press "the button"..

Posted by Endless... | April 1, 2007 9:00 PM

I Love You

Posted by I Love You | April 3, 2007 4:33 PM

I Love You

Posted by I Love You | April 3, 2007 4:33 PM

I Love You

Posted by I Love You | April 3, 2007 4:33 PM

wtf? you may say this line is mortifyingly jaywalking out the other side to see if life may reside in these shackles like a raptor rapaciously eating his way out of a cheese mobile made out of crackers like whiteys you know ford engines run on hemp!

shawn kemp got too fat so he ate back his rap in the dessert where the sun helped him sweat out his mission to spiral forth a new division of colors and spices but none of it was noted to be the nicest to reside their clothing inside cause the weather was unpredictable especially when the green comes so early nowadays and the winter is meant to be a blessing in the warming of the doves in the soul

Posted by JuniperBerry | April 13, 2007 4:23 AM

shawn kemp got too fat so he ate back his rap in the dessert where the sun helped him sweat out his mission to spiral forth a new division of colors and spices but none of it was noted to be the nicest to reside in their clothing inside cause the weather was unpredictable especially when the green comes so early nowadays and the winter is meant to be a blessing in the warming of the doves in the soul

(we all make mistakes)

Posted by YHWH | April 13, 2007 1:42 PM

dust to dust
rights of us all to say otherwise
but how can we realize
that moment only after we perish in our peril
the land of obscurity subsides in our minds
and the random more takes over
as if we had no choice all along
like cogs in a convienence store
working the night shift
kinda pointless yet we still eke out an existence
and maybe that is our purpose
the finite pointlessness
the act of just living it out as if we had a purpose
the irony of it all

all in our inaffectual third eyes
all this time yet we resort to roads and talkshows
and their hosts for are advice
as if we didnt know all along just how crazy it all is
to have a finger actually point in one particular direction
and say here it is i found it
how foolish
so much vanity in a world
where it shines only from several light years away
and otherwise is only a speck of dust or nothing at all

Posted by arugula and campfires | April 22, 2007 2:17 AM

Arcade Fire are anything but boring. Boring to me is a band that injects no soul into their music & are too scared to do anything different or be outspoken. Listen to Win's voice, that's someone who means what they're saying, that's real passion and drive, something the vast majority of pop music sadly lacks.

And to those who accuse AF and the fans of being "gay" - I'd rather be gay than be living in a cage of masculine insecurity that prevents me from saying anything remotely intelligent or articulate. Or maybe you're just genuinely stupid. Arcade Fire are one of the great bands of the decade so far.

Posted by Caspar | June 25, 2007 3:14 AM

Getting wasted dancing with some girls and blowing some coke or something . i dont know , arcade fire doesnt do that for me.. their music puts me in a different mindset than most other music thats been released lately..

cosmetic dentists surrey

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2009 1:49 AM

The walk of life is simple and sharing. Blogs are the same they share new information and they find new users every single day. The most well known blogs are simple , they provide the post and we share our thoughts with it. Thanks every body for this good post.

Posted by Invisalign Birmingham | December 5, 2009 1:23 PM

These songs are really boring. indie kids are hypnotized.

Posted by lasix without prescription | December 6, 2009 6:33 AM

Posted by Greeting card | December 19, 2009 6:06 AM

When you are in the corner and have got no money to move out from that point, you would require to take the personal loans. Because that would aid you for sure. I take commercial loan every time I need and feel myself fine just because of that.

Posted by Jordan33Rose | March 20, 2010 9:57 AM

In all seriousness they are not that good could be way more better.

Posted by watch wwe summerslam | July 28, 2010 9:01 AM