Posted in NYC | music on February 15, 2007

Ching Chong Song protest

The band "Ching Chong Song" opened for Jeffrey Lewis @ NYU last night (less than a block away from where Arcade Fire was playing inside a church). There was a student protest outside the show. This press release explains it all:

NYU STUDENTS STOP RACIST SLUR IN NYC MUSIC SCENE

Greenwich Village, NYC – Last night, 20 New York University students held an educational rally to demonstrate against “Ching Chong Song,” a Brooklyn indie-folk band. (Both band members are Caucasian). The NYU students stood outside the band’s performance to pass out flyers educating attendees of the offensiveness of the phrase “ching chong.”

“Words like that contain a painful history loaded with intolerance, hatred, and belittlement,” said NYU sophomore Chi-Ser Tran, a demonstrator.

When the band learned of the impending rally, it agreed to change its name and to make an apology during its performance. Band pianist and singer Dan Gower said the name wasn't changed until now because of “all the action people have taken.”

The band formerly known as “Ching Chong Song” experienced similar protests in December at Bryn Mawr College. The protests there successfully got the band’s scheduled performance to be cancelled. Julia LaMendola, the other band member, wrote an open letter in the Bryn Mawr’s student newspaper in response: “Growing up a child of a gay parent in a tiny town, a poor second-generation Italian girl, I also have experience with the nuances of language. And give me a break you stupid twats…By the way, ‘ching chang chong’ is what people in Germany call the game rock paper scissors, and stupid petty retards is what I'm calling you.”

“While I am heartened that the band has agreed to change its name, I hope that we focus on the issue at hand: racism,” said NYU junior Frederick Loo Wong, a lead demonstrator. “We cannot hold pejorative epithets to differing standards. I am offended when someone uses the word ‘gay’ inappropriately. It is breath-taking when someone uses the ‘n-word.’ Why can’t the same apply to ‘ching chong’?”

NYU senior Lily Yuan expressed concern about the sincerity of the band’s apology. “But, even though the band changed their name, they announced it with sarcasm and pride and few words that meant nothing and left us standing in humiliation and shock.” Yuan was brought to tears during the band public apology when band member LaMendola said, “The college banned me from performing and then I wrote them a letter calling them retarded twats [the audience laughed]...Yea I thought it was pretty funny too...”

"However we may feel about the band's apology, what we have done here tonight is show New York City that Asians are not to be belittled. We can organize and will not tolerate insults. But first, we need to all understand each other for a better society," said Wong.

The band has agreed to change its name; however, it has yet to reflect those changes on its website. Also lacking is an apology on the website. The band’s website is: http://chingchongsong.com/

An article in NYU's campus paper may be found here:

Gothamist also just threw up a post about this.

Previously
Martín Perna (Antibalas/TVOTR) calls VOICE cover racist
Jeffrey Lewis (& Ching chong song) playing NYU

Ching chang chong tournament, anyone?

Posted by Mike | February 15, 2007 11:19 AM

You suck CCS ...

Posted by JFU | February 15, 2007 11:25 AM

You suck CCS ...

Posted by JFU | February 15, 2007 11:25 AM

me love you long time

Posted by oh me so horny | February 15, 2007 11:25 AM

Whoever thought it was cool to advertise themselves using a racist name?

Posted by superoffended | February 15, 2007 11:27 AM

I don't even know what this is, but it certainly sounds racist.

Posted by Jeff | February 15, 2007 11:32 AM

why aren't you all up in arms over the band CRACKER?

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 11:34 AM

That girl is smiling! Are you supposed to smile at a protest? I've never been. Maybe if you're protesting a band called Ching Chong Song or an event called Fartoberfest you can smile.

Posted by Keith Whitener | February 15, 2007 11:35 AM

In related news Patti Smith will no longer be performing "Rock N Roll Nigger"

lament.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 11:43 AM

That band is now over.

Posted by eggshells | February 15, 2007 12:02 PM

1) What does Ching Chong even mean?
2) Is it really racist?
3) Is the band any good? Worth protesting?

I know it's related to Asian or Oriental people...to be honest, I don't even know the PC term anymore.

But does anyone else think that these protesters are over-the-top sensitive? I know that racism exists everywhere, and I'm not trying to act like it's not there...but I don't know, the band name "Ching Chong Song" just really doesn't offend me.

Posted by DJ Dave | February 15, 2007 12:06 PM

email them... and tell them what u think-
chingcsong@gmail.com

Posted by nc | February 15, 2007 12:09 PM

email them... and tell them what u think-
chingcsong@gmail.com

Posted by nc | February 15, 2007 12:09 PM

Their signs are printed on YELLOW paper - now THAT'S racist!

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 12:11 PM

the band was really foolish to be so flippant to the asian students' concerns. it just shows their ignorance a la Rosie O'Donnell's oblivious remarks on the View a while back.
i would recommend people read Tim Wise's "White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son". he is an outstanding writer about oblivious racism from the white perspective.

Posted by gene gene | February 15, 2007 12:16 PM

Gene Gene--that is the best comment so far. Exactly--the band reacted waaaaay too flippantly. That kind of attitude totally works against any "apology" they may offer.

Posted by eggshells | February 15, 2007 12:25 PM

who cares about this band?
why are people protesting this shit?
and why is brooklynvegan.com suddenly the go-to blog for posts exuding the white guilt of the indie scene?

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 12:29 PM

that reminds me of when i was at the lagerhausen and the lagerhausen proprietor said "would you like a lager?" and the dirty finnish customer said something, but no one could understand it because who can understand finnish people? they are so dirty and shifty.

Posted by Frauke | February 15, 2007 12:30 PM

i'm glad brooklynvegan has these posts.
he had posts on anti-gay language from Buju Banton and HR before.
besides, the spirit of the indie music scene is to bring together folks outside of the mainstream, not divide them.
thanks BV.

Posted by guy ladouche | February 15, 2007 12:36 PM

NO TIME FOR LOVE DOCTA JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SHORT ROUND | February 15, 2007 12:38 PM

NO TIME FOR LOVE DOCTA JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SHORT ROUND | February 15, 2007 12:40 PM

Go back to Italy, bitch!

Posted by mamma mia! | February 15, 2007 12:48 PM

did you all forget anything racist towards asians is funny and unimportant, and anyone who takes offense is "over-sensitive"?

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 1:12 PM

This is a slippery slope, no pun intended!

If you are going to get all crazy parsing out the intentions of obscure indie rock bands, where will it stop? Maybe Rosie O'Donnell using that phrase pn Network TV to mimic Asian speak could be considered a little tacky but this poor band is getting dogged.

It reminds me of the controversy about the word "niggardly" which only sounds racist.

That being said, this Wikipedia entry was probably written yesterday but at least explains one side of the story

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 1:16 PM

I hope every post now begins by placing where the event is occurring in relation to the Arcade Fire. They'll be our magnetic north arrow when we are lost amidst the mp3s and tour dates.

Posted by jerry | February 15, 2007 1:30 PM

wait... i can't remember if GhostFace Killah sounds racist or if i just being overly sensitive.

care to listen to some Wang Chung anyone?

Posted by kde | February 15, 2007 1:36 PM

good call on the priveledged white male reference. personally I am so sick of ignorant white boys thinking they are dismissed from social responsiblity because they can play guitars. F this band. They deserve to suck if they don't already.

and, what is up with the revival of the equally racist tomahawk chop at shows around brooklyn??? I saw this and was like are you f'ing serious? what is that all about? of course this was at a show that also included a lesbian joke. Awesome. I'm so proud of the scene.

Posted by km | February 15, 2007 2:06 PM

i'll have some sweet & sour chicken, pork fried rice, & two egg rolls--to go!

Posted by playa hatah | February 15, 2007 2:31 PM

looks like NYU needs to make class a little harder

i'm not used to seeing azns outside libraries

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 2:58 PM

indie music: serious business.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 3:04 PM

I think people post these things to remind all you "ironic" indie rockers that there is a world outside yours where people actually do get offended.

Perhaps the most difficult part of all of this comes from the letter that Julia LaMendola sent to Bryn Mawr's newspaper:

She effectively discredits herself with the lines "You stupid twats" and "stupid petty retards." The point of an open letter like hers is to smooth over a faux pas and admit responsibility without totally backing down from your opinion.
East Asian folk have traditionally been the most quiet about racism and discrimination in this country. Thankfully those times are changing and I'm glad that members of the NYU student body are standing up for themselves on this one. If you're feeling bored and wanna read a case or two, look up The Chinese Exclusion Act or Korematsu vs. United States (Japanese Internment)....

Posted by Colonel K | February 15, 2007 3:59 PM

I'm 100% purebred Asian, and this is why I don't bother with any of the Asian organizations on campus. For some reason they always seem like they have the hidden agenda of competing with the blacks and the Jews for most repressed race, when in actuality, we really have nothing to back us.

I can understand Jews feeling offended for all the crap they've gone through, and the same goes for blacks, but Asians? What the HELL kind of atrocity was so horrible that we get offended by something as juvenile as "ching chong"? That kids in elementary school stretched out their eyes with their fingers and started saying "ching chong ching chong"?

Seriously, if you're a college student and you get offended by something as antiquated, something so blatantly sophomoric as "ching chong", you need to grow a pair.

Posted by Allen | February 15, 2007 4:03 PM

we are siamese if you please, we are siamese if you don't please

Posted by pupu plater | February 15, 2007 4:20 PM

Holy shit-- now I understand why they were playing under a different name at the Sidewalk Cafe last night.

Antifolk is the new KKK?

Posted by Brandon | February 15, 2007 4:28 PM

yeah, and I am the World Trade Center has to change their name too! wah wah wah!

Posted by joshua | February 15, 2007 4:38 PM

Colonel Klink,

Next time read the entire letter instead of the highlights quote on BV.

BTW, Hogan has a tunnel under the bunker you daft fooL!

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 4:44 PM

would it be racist if TVOTR was running over them on a riding mower ?

Posted by Bangum' smurf | February 15, 2007 5:09 PM

Alot of these comments demonstrate why minorities like me don't feel welcome in the indie music scene. It's not going to stop me from going to shows, but it's disgusting and infuriating that people who are supposedly my peers are so disrespectful, dismissive, and sometimes out and out racist.

What is so wrong with treating other people with kindness and sensitivity? I am so tired of people just writing everything off as white liberal guilt or hypersensitivity on the part of minorities. It's essentially saying that it's ok to be racist and we're not allowed to say anything about it. If you have a valid argument to make, then make it, but "grow a pair" is just stupid, childish bullying.

I'm Asian and I am way more offended by that woman's open letter and the reaction among fans than I am by the band's name. That's just me. Just because you don't find something hurtful and offensive and racist does not mean that it's not to someone else.

I applaud BV for posting this stuff! And if people have a such problem with it, they're welcome to not read the blog.

[In Colonel K's defense, there was nothing in the entire letter that ameliorated its overall tone and message. And how do you know he didn't read the whole thing?]

Sorry for the long post.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 5:47 PM

People are so concerned about the racists' right to free speech but the Asian kids aren't allowed to protest? Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 5:50 PM

"I can understand Jews feeling offended for all the crap they've gone through, and the same goes for blacks, but Asians? What the HELL kind of atrocity was so horrible that we get offended by something as juvenile as "ching chong"?"

I dunno, but I'd say the treatment of Asians in the western territories of the United States during the 1800s was pretty atrocious, as were the internment camps during WWII...I'm not sure how it relates to "ching chong" but I think it is a mistake to downplay hardships of Asians (or any other minority) in the U.S. over the years.

That being said, I think the response to the band's name was a bit of an overreaction, albeit an understandable one.

And that response letter was just plain stupid. I'm curious as to what she was trying to accomplish with it.

I doubt they intended to be racist, but these days, that just doesn't fly. Intentions aren't enough.

Posted by matthew | February 15, 2007 6:05 PM

Matthew, you are so right.

I think she was just trying to drum up publicity for her obscure band.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 6:09 PM

I agree with Allen, from a couple of posts earlier.

I am Italian, and I dont give a shit if people call me a WOP or a Guniea or a grease ball ect. who gives a shit, us just like the asians did not go through any shit even comparable to what black people or jewish people went throgh, so these epithets dont mean as much. So its ignorent, but"WHO GIVES A SHIT" if someone had a band call "Tony & the Greasy WOP Gunieas" I could fuckin' care less. The way my dad always said, if someone calls you a WOP, "there just jelous.

But seriously, NYU Asian protestors, "GET A FUCKIN LIFE", protest something more important like the war or somthing, or program another computer game.

Just kidding

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 7:48 PM

I agree with Allen, from a couple of posts earlier.

Just kidding

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 7:48 PM

"What is so wrong with treating other people with kindness and sensitivity?"

It's boring as hell. Now fuck off.

Posted by   | February 15, 2007 7:51 PM

We as an indie rock scene have to stand up for the Asian community.

Even if Asians are the world's largest ethnic group.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 8:01 PM

>>Alot of these comments demonstrate why minorities like me don't feel welcome in the indie music scene.

I thought the point of the scene was to make people feel excluded?

Then again, when has the internet ever been a litmus test to indicate the actual tolerance of any group.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously."

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 8:15 PM

yeah, language perpetuates stereotypes. "what are you blind?" " you'd have to be blind not to..." blind = ignorance. each population of people is entitled to defend themselves against ignorance and in this case CCS sorta asked for it, being white.

Posted by jeff | February 15, 2007 9:03 PM

wait a second... i thought i was commenting on Hogan's Heroes. C'mon, Colonel Klink? Priceless... truly i am special.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2007 10:56 PM

Go watch the Lenny Bruce story and you will never look at Political Correctness the same way again

History is the best education

His take on racism should be required in high school education

His drug abuse and untimely end should also...

Posted by Round Eye Honkey | February 15, 2007 11:39 PM

Let it be known, the name "Colonel K" comes from the Dangermouse cartoon that was produced by Thames TV in the early 1980s. I originally wanted to call myself Baron Silas Greenback,b ut it doesn't roll off the tounge as easily. And there was already a shitty band called Penfold....

Posted by Colonel K | February 15, 2007 11:39 PM

It's petty racism, there's not really an argument here. But are they taking a stand against the most important outstanding racist issue right now? It seems they could divert all of their attention a much worthier cause.

Posted by yolk | February 16, 2007 12:02 AM

Q: "How do Chinese people name their children?"

A: "They drop silverware down the stairs!"

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 12:25 AM

It's just odd that that tiny little band that's labored in relative obscurity for ages to no avail is suddenly under-fire. College kids seem to be more sensitve than the folks who hang out at the Sidewalk Cafe perhaps? I always thought the name was supposed to be self-consciously faux-ignorant and also chosen for the way the words sound together. I mean, if you see them live, it doesnt seem like an unreasonable name.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 12:47 AM

i wonder how many asian indie rock bands ccs has on their ipod.

Posted by al | February 16, 2007 12:49 AM

If you ever wonder why so many Chinese people in the US have accents, and work so hard at establishing a livelihood in this country, you should learn about the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, which led to the banning of Chinese immigrants for nearly a century.

Chinese people were one of the largest immigrant groups in the United States until we were banned from country because we were willing to work hard for not much money (sound familiar?). White labor groups (mostly Irish-American - Bill O'Reilly's ancestors?) successfully lobbied the government to ban an entire race of people because we competed for the same jobs. Chinese people were were viewed as an inferior race and were blamed for everything from spreading disease to pushing drugs.

I'm Chinese, and when I learned about this, I thought about what life would be like if this had never happened. There would be a strong population of 4th and 5th generation Chinese people in the US. Maybe there'd be more than a few Chinese people in Congress. Maybe stereotypes based on our nascent position in this country wouldn't be as prevalent.

So now, in this day and age, we have to struggle with the struggles that the other immigrants struggled with 100 years ago, because of long-standing racism against Chinese people in this country.

Posted by asiangirl | February 16, 2007 9:09 AM

Chinese people were one of the largest immigrant groups in the United States until we were banned from this country because we were willing to work hard for not much money (sound familiar?). White labor groups (mostly Irish-American - Bill O'Reilly's ancestors?) successfully lobbied the government to ban us because we competed for the same jobs (household servants, industrial workers). Chinese people were were viewed as an inferior race and were blamed for everything from spreading disease to pushing drugs.

I'm Chinese, and when I learned about this, I thought about what life would be like if this had never happened. There would be a strong population of 4th and 5th generation Chinese people in the US. Maybe there'd be more than a few Chinese people in Congress. Maybe stereotypes based on our nascent position in this country exist.

So now, in this day and age, we have to struggle with the struggles that the other immigrants struggled with 100 years ago.

Posted by asiangirl | February 16, 2007 9:11 AM

"What is so wrong with treating other people with kindness and sensitivity?"

"It's boring as hell. Now fuck off."

It's people like you who make this world suck.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 11:50 AM

it's really pathetic that what asiangirl wrote is probably news to most of the ignorant people that think that asian americans have nothing to complain about.

this country might actually make some progress if its citizens knew their fucking history.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 12:14 PM

ME CHINESE, ME PLAY JOKE, ME GO PEE-PEE IN YOUR COKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SHORT ROUND | February 16, 2007 12:49 PM

Seng the faggot oily dego back to the trailer park.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 1:06 PM

And take the fat ass Rosey odonnel craker trash with you.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 1:09 PM

Posted by jim | February 16, 2007 2:56 PM

"yeah meanwhile China sells weapons to Sudan so it can continue its genocide. Thats ok. Oh, I'm racist for even mentioning that!"

Jim,

How are the actions of a foreign government in any way related to respecting American citizens by exercising common sense and a little restraint when naming your band?

Posted by matthew | February 16, 2007 3:18 PM

NO WONDER WHY THE WHOLE WORLD HATES AMERICANS

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 4:05 PM

Although the the arms sales policies of the Chinese government have absolutely no relevance at all in this discussion, Jim might like to know that they're not quite alone with regard to their principles.

Posted by Iran-Contra | February 16, 2007 4:34 PM

Why can't we just all agree there is only one answer to this dilemna:

F. More semi-naked women

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 8:35 PM

So what is Ching Chong Song's new name!?

Posted by stickles | February 16, 2007 8:53 PM

thanks to the protesters i visited the ching chong song web site and watched some chicks in bikinis chopping up body parts...

why would you want to draw attention to something so gnarly and unpleasing as this?

by protesting this all you will do is make the band more popular and give other races a new name to call chinese when they are mad at them...

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2007 9:25 PM

they should rename themselves "the porch monkeys" and see how far they get with that name.

Posted by caz | February 17, 2007 2:52 AM

Wow, you some of you guys need to get a f--ing education.

Allen: Open up some history books and you'll see that the Chinese and Japanese were denied equal protection of the laws, just like the blacks.

and Jim: WTF does China have to do any of this? Then does that mean I can call all Germans Nazis?

Posted by alicekats | February 17, 2007 7:00 PM

It isn't any more racist than your average pizza box is to Italians

Posted by RT | February 19, 2007 1:05 PM

hi, my heritage is mostly american indian... do i get to comment on the Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, the city of Seattle, Big Chief, the Florida State Seminoles to name but a few?

When can i play my big trump "woah is me card?"

Chief Jay Strongbow

Posted by Anonymous | February 19, 2007 4:30 PM

Play your "WOE is me" card. Nobody is stopping you. If nobody says anything, nothing will be done about it.

Asian Americans are only recently starting to voice their opinions. Nobody knows about their history in America because they just shut up about it and it's not being taught in schools. I got to learn about some of their history in a class I took in college.

and I'll say that although "Ching Chong Song" is not racist per say, it is insensitive and ignorant.

Asked a German friend and "Ching Chang Chong" is used for rock paper scissors. I'd say that's quite different from CHING CHONG since Asian kids get called/bullied about that quite frequently. Also, who says the Germans are using it correctly? They're using it as an interpretation of the "sound of the Asian language", which is quite retarded itself.

Posted by Anonymous | February 20, 2007 2:18 PM

Julia LaMendola is obviously a hateful bigot who thinks it's funny to flaunt her insensitive cruelty parading it as social commentary. She shifts and slips away from her so-called point - that people are oversensitive, slaves to semantics and uncreative followers - bu claiming that the song has something to do with rock paper scissors in German. WTF?

And where does she get the audacity to use her gay parents and Italian heritage to claim she knows anything at all about "the nuances of language." Clearly she does know something about language and its powers. She's a clown who revels in the attention. She wants to think she's interesting and unique - the gay parents she probably thinks are proof that she's not bland. Please, leave gay people alone, we've been messed with enough and don't need a brainless indie-rocker trying to somehow benefit from homophobia. She's pathetic.

More pathetic and disheartening though is the comments posted here. This country has a real problem with racism and ignorance, and this is evident in many of the comments.

Posted by mary | January 6, 2008 5:56 PM

Allen, if you are seriously unaffected by racial slurs being thrown at you, then I assume you do nothing when someone comes up to you, and starts jumping around and doing everything you just described, towards you. It's like you're just sitting there taking the hits. But I'm sure that's not the case, so don't say it's nothing, but if it is, then I pity the way you were brought up.

How can you compare racism towards Jews and Blacks with racism towards Asians? Racism is racism, there is no severity meter to it because it targets a certain race and not another. Grow a set of balls and speak up when necessary.

Posted by Stan | December 14, 2008 9:34 PM

Julia LaMendola.... Damn... I remember her now... She's that chick who got fucked by 8 black (wannabe white) guys in Brooklyn. True story! I know because I filmed it!

Posted by Fat Mo | April 23, 2010 3:25 AM

hey allen! have you heard of internment camps? it's this thing where ALL Japanese-Americans were forcibly removed from their homes and moved to camps in the desert to live in shitty wooden barracks! they lost everything they owned. even though they were US citizens - many born and bred! it's really cool! (this didn't happen to those of Italian, German, or Russian descent even though we were fighting against them in WWII too.) there was also this thing called "Vietnam", but there was no anti-asian sentiment stemming from this either i'm sure. and Chinese in the Old West, well they had it great! just ask Hop Sing! i love Bonanza! Hoss was great. just a few things you may have missed being "100% pure bred asian" but also being a complete idiot. i'm not pc. and there's something to being oversensitive, but it's another thing to be a complete ignoramus like yourself. Allen! ...c'mon dude.

as far as this band, they obviously suck. "let's move to brooklyn and start an indie-flok band!" original. folk is over. they should play metal. or thrash. or crossover. just play some DRI covers. not enough moshing in this town.

Posted by MOSH! | May 10, 2010 6:32 PM

It wasn't the TV On The Radio guy. It was someone copping his look. I don't know much about the guy other than that he plays in a band called Bloodweiser.

Posted by شات كتابي | September 26, 2010 8:10 AM

So many people do not understand the destructive power of hate. The perpetrator may not understand what is considered racism to the victim. The first time I ever experienced being a majority race was in Barbados. For an African American this is like dying and going to black people's heaven. Do you know how tempted I was to call the first white guy I saw a red neck peckerwood? I would not, however, because I am a practicing Christian.

Posted by MajorRay | August 12, 2012 4:58 PM