Posted in MP3 | SXSW | music | pictures | tour dates on March 21, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Fujiya & Miyagi - live on KEXP from SXSW (MP3) (info)
STREAM: Fujiya & Miyagi - live on MPR from SXSW (MP3 stream) (info)
LISTEN: Fujiya & Miyagi - live on NPR from SXSW (web page)

Fujiya & Miyagi (three guys from the UK) played Mercury Lounge in NYC last night (March 20, 2007). It was their 3rd of three NYC shows, and it was seriously awesome. You couldn't help, but dance, and cheer, and just love them.

Fujiya & Miyagi @ Mercury Lounge

New Violators opened, but I missed them because I was over seeing David & The Citizens and Bang Gang at Canal Room. On my wait out of Mercury Lounge I heard mixed reviews - some hated New Violators, some loved them. Both sides tended to agree that they sound a lot like a cover band.

Another pic, and other stuff below...

Fujiya & Miyagi @ Mercury Lounge

Apr 23 - MARIA BERLIN
Apr 25 - CABARET VOLTAIRE - TRIPTYCH FESTIVAL EDINBURGH
Apr 27 - THE TUNNELS - TRIPTYCH FESTIVAL ABERDEEN
Apr 28 - CLASSIC GRAND - TRIPTYCH FESTIVAL GLASGOW
May 5 - ZERWIRK MUNICH

Previously
* Fujiya & Miyagi add 3rd NYC show + Prototypes Tour Dates & MP3s + BlOG PARTY @ SXSW
* Fujiya & Miyagi - album stream + 2 NYC shows + SXSW -- U.S. Tour Dates

They were awesome on Sunday too. I liked it very much.

Posted by Eduardo | March 21, 2007 7:53 AM

it was very nice to see people dancing. that doesn't happen enough.

Posted by leah | March 21, 2007 8:44 AM

waaaa. nobody dances anymore. it was so 2001 to begin with.

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2007 9:30 AM

one of the best sets i've seen at the Merc in quite some time. so many grooves and so much neu!-esq repetition. they were unassuming and unspokenly charming. can't wait for their gigs with PB&J. I couldn't get down with the little raver arm moments the lead singer would bust out ever once and awhile, but you know what, ecstacy is a hell of a drug.

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2007 9:42 AM

hee hee. the euro-rapper arm movements were hilarious. and, he was so serious about it!

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2007 10:12 AM

A little bird told me Fujiya & Miyagi are opening for the two Peter Bjorn & John shows at Webster Hall in May.

Posted by Kristin | March 21, 2007 10:15 AM

If you went to this show, you missed OOIOO, and they were fucking great! I honestly don't understand the lack of press it's gotten.
The Gang Gang Dance girl's I.U.D. sucked more than I thought possible, but luckily it didn't last long.

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2007 10:29 AM

I'll second that about OOIOO they were incredible!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2007 10:41 AM

and a third on OOIOO. i'm shocked that this show seemingly fell beneath BV's radar. but happy for them that it was way sold out.

Posted by sonik | March 21, 2007 10:54 AM

I saw them at the Columbia University show with about 200 young folk. They put on a great set, managed to ignite a ferocious dance floor, but I would have preferred a Mercury Lounge setting instead. I think a nice Lali Puna pairing, or maybe a set up with fellow brits The Rakes, would be a kick ass show! Over and out...

Posted by Alejandro | March 21, 2007 11:09 AM

I went last night not knowing a single lick of their music and I found myslef floored by the end of the show! When they started with those basslines and hushed vocals the crowd started moving! I was sold. What a nice sound! Smooth!

Posted by brassbonanza | March 21, 2007 12:04 PM

Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi Fujiya Miyagi

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2007 1:09 PM

Their show at Barnard was pretty good but their set seemed really short. Escort (openers) were incredible. It was a booty shaking extravaganza between the two of them.

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2007 1:13 PM

escort was awesome. too bad the sound was so spotty in that cafeteria.

Posted by david. | March 21, 2007 1:52 PM

OOIOO review here: http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/music/archives/2007/03/live_ooioo.php
They didn't seem to like IUD either.

Posted by doodlepickle | March 21, 2007 8:47 PM