Posted in music | pictures on March 7, 2007

I already thought Grizzly Bear were an awesome band to see live. Last night (March 6, 2007) at Bowery Ballroom they proved they've been practicing (aka were just on tour for 3 weeks), and they were even better than I thought - definitely the best show I've seen by them yet. Highlights included pretty much everything, but I especially loved "Colorado" this time, and it was cool that they did a 1-song 2-man encore since they usually never come back on stage. Tiye writes...

Last night I finally got to see Grizzly Bear play at Bowery Ballroom and it was worth the wait. I can't even...there are no words...I'll think of some. After the show, Sarah and I saw Michael Tapper sitting alone at the bar in a daze. He told us that he was trying to process what he just saw and that we could quote him when he said, "Grizzly Bear is the best band in the world".
Here are some pics...

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

Grizzly Bear @ Bowery Ballroom

I unfortunately missed Papercuts, but did see Beach House who were also good - pics coming in another post.

Previously
* Grizzly Bear tickets back on sale
* Grizzly Bear | 2007 Tour Dates
* Grizzly Bear add 2nd NYC show
* An interview with Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear

Tags: Grizzly Bear

Taped the show last night and it came out BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to go back tonight!

Posted by jason | March 7, 2007 3:42 PM

i have to agree with M Tapp... mind blowing.

Posted by meelzy | March 7, 2007 3:48 PM

Hyperbole!

Posted by chris martin | March 7, 2007 3:49 PM

the whole evening was really really great.

Posted by k | March 7, 2007 3:50 PM

anyone know about what time beach house went on?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 3:53 PM

9-papercuts
10-beach house
11-grizzly bear

bowery is pretty strict about stage times. They cut the papercuts set short because they started late

Beach house was nice, but didn't grab me as much as the albuum does.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 3:56 PM

BF - Those are KILLER pix! Great work!

Posted by Dfactor | March 7, 2007 4:02 PM

The thing about Paper Cuts was that when they first started that reverb was WAY too thick. Although I got used to it after a while.

Was it just me or were Paper Cuts using the same backing track for beats over and over?

Posted by jason | March 7, 2007 4:09 PM

best band in the world? seriously? that's kind of irresponsible and kind of wrong...

Posted by nora | March 7, 2007 4:10 PM

it's just the guy from we are scientists opinion, not the gospel

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 4:12 PM

And here I thought the war in Iraq was irresponsible and wrong. I must get my priorities in line.

Posted by will | March 7, 2007 4:21 PM

Did you really just name drop the drummer in We Are Scientists ?

Posted by hy | March 7, 2007 4:41 PM

Who is Michael Tapper and why is he having such trouble with his processing?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 4:44 PM

My car got broken. I have to pay like $250 for a damn piece of it. I saw Grizzly Bear (+Beach House) last night and I'm happy.

Posted by Eduardo | March 7, 2007 4:44 PM

first time i saw them and i was HIGHLY impressed.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 4:51 PM

i thought that BOTH grizzly bear and beach house were bands that live are just so much more hauntingly beautiful live.
tonight is a treat for anyone going.

Posted by s | March 7, 2007 5:26 PM

i thought that BOTH grizzly bear and beach house were bands that live are just so much more hauntingly beautiful.
tonight is a treat for anyone going.

Posted by s | March 7, 2007 5:26 PM

wow, I'd have to say that their live performance is nearly as though-provoking and outright fun as The Sterns.

Posted by dum | March 7, 2007 5:30 PM

re: jason...

would you be so kind as to make this tape available?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 5:35 PM

I'm suprised no one has said much (positive at least) about Papercuts. Personally I thought they were as good as Grizzly Bear and I really liked Grizzly Bear. I was heartbroken when they were cut short and was please to hear a lot of folks in the crowd voicing their displeasure too.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 5:57 PM

i saw grizzly bear open for TV On the Radio back in october and again in february at the start of this tour, and they have improved dramatically! way better live band now than they were.

Posted by jason | March 7, 2007 6:15 PM

I was at the show as well. Beach house reminds me way too much of mazzy star which isnt such a bad thing. Grizzley Bear were good, I enjoyed the show. I kind of like how their songs end rather than how they begin. The songs do not immediately get me at the start but once they get going I enjoy them....
Lovely rendition of He Hit Me(And it felt like a kiss)..Morrissey would be oh so proud.
Best band ever? Hahaha i think not. Sounds like the dude from we are scientists has not been out of the house much or has a really weak record collection.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 6:31 PM

2nd show of Dismemberment Plan went on sale quietly this afternoon and is now sold out online :)

Posted by Joe | March 7, 2007 8:26 PM

nobody is the best band in the world. I can't say that about anyone and believe it, but honestly grizzly bear ARE incredible live. a lot of fun to watch. it's all about the harmonies for me

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 9:06 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 9:06 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 9:06 PM

Nobody is the best band in the world. Correct. But there are certainly bands that can compete for that title and unfortunately Grizzly Bear aint one of them. And incredible live? a lot of fun to watch? Umm ok i was at that show last night and maybe i missed something. Great harmonies yes. Some really beautiful tunes agreed. Incredible live and fun to watch...umm not sure im gonna go there. Seems to be too many false platitudes going around these days for many bands. People need to get out more and see more bands and more shows for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 9:29 PM

People need to not take themselves so seriously either...

Posted by RT | March 7, 2007 9:59 PM

You were standing right next to me during Grizzly Bear. I was looking at the pictures you took through your view finder.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 10:19 PM

You were standing right next to me during Grizzly Bear. I was looking at the pictures you took through the view finder in your camera. Had no idea this was your blog.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2007 10:20 PM

yeah seriously will, you do that. maybe step one? stop reading a blog about music. :)

Posted by nora | March 7, 2007 10:55 PM

damn. i remember this band playing in a small almost empty room at suny purchase in september.

Posted by Anonymous | March 8, 2007 12:14 AM

dude who is trying to play like this band isn't great live is retarded. hyperboles aside, --they are great. Just because they dont' jump around on stage and freak out doesn't mean they aren't fun to watch. I like seeing the guy with the clarinet freak out on the gground, looks like his face will explode. they are great, get over yourself naysayers, way more interesting then gang gang dance pretention

Posted by Anonymous | March 8, 2007 3:53 AM

Anyone has an extra ticket to Of Montreal 3/10?

Posted by Eduardo | March 8, 2007 11:31 AM

will those tapes of tuesdays show be available anywhere jason?

Posted by Anonymous | March 8, 2007 12:55 PM

yeah jason i would REALLY like to hear tuesday's show, i was there as well and it was fucking breathtaking. PLEASE post ur recordings man. or u can email me about it.

Posted by Shawn | March 8, 2007 1:24 PM

I hate promising these things, but I will try. NEVER buy a Sony VAIO desktop... they are so accident prone it's insane.

I have both nights bootlegged and 3 full length bootleg synced videos for you guys. I'd wait until mid next week until I get to it. Send me an e-mail and I will try to keep you in the loop.

drtchocky@gmail.com

Posted by jason | March 8, 2007 4:29 PM

Your blog looks nice, on the other hand it would be greater if you can use lighter colors as well as a professional design. This will ensure that a lot more readers come to check it out.Informative post by the way!

Posted by miniclip | September 3, 2012 3:14 AM