Posted in NYC | music | venues on March 29, 2007

Pop Levi @ Mercury Lounge, NYC - March 13, 2007 (CRED SANDWICH)
Pop Levi @ Mercury Lounge

Not only does it seem like Mercury Lounge is at risk of closing, people are starting to put the rumor in print. 'New Media Feed' posted something the other day:

Popular live music venue The Mercury Lounge at 217 E. Houston St, New York City is rumored to be closing sometime in the not too distant future. Real estate development will replace the small club that hosts international, national and local buzz talent.
Mercury Lounge (Bowery Presents) quickly replied, and the post was updated with an "UPDATE: The Mercury Lounge has personally written me to let me know they will not be closing." Before the update, the rumor made it's way on to the PAPER blog and "The Hot Lisp". What do you know about it?

Previously
* Tonic (NYC music venue) is closing
* The Fratellis @ Mercury Lounge, NYC - pics
* Ladytron, NIN, Pop Levi, album stream, SXSW, Tour Dates

there's a giant construction project going on next to the merc. i couldn't even find the place last time due to the scaffolding.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2007 5:23 PM

God I hope not. The city is getting inundated right now with mid-size to large venues (Gramercy, High Line, the new North Six, the new larger Luna, etc. etc.). Mercury is the perfect size room to see a lot of bands, and it would be a shame to lose it.

Plus, it was the first place in the city I ever saw a show (Wilco 96) and it's come to represent a lot of what I love about the music scene here.

Posted by Steve | March 29, 2007 6:29 PM

why would anyone think the Mercury Lounge is closing? It's owned by the Bowery Presents people and they seem to be growing into quite an empire. Though they are technically an "independent" company, I don't think they have the same problems that independent venues have. They can "roll" with the gentrification.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2007 6:55 PM

this rumor has floated around for a bit, but i dont believe there is any truth to it. Many places have come and gone since Mercury opened...and sadly 2 other places nearby are about to shut down, but after some investigating all signs point towards Mercury being open/not closing anytime soon.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2007 6:57 PM

My Name is Paul Handjobs. Many of you know me for my boyish good looks and frequent gentle touches. I make out with people who work at Bowery Presents on a regular basis and I can assure you the Mercury Lounge isn't going anywhere. If it was I would have surely heard about it over some pillow talk.

Posted by Paul Handjobs | March 29, 2007 7:17 PM

Paul, I'm the glass washer whose starfish you violated with your pinky as you stroked my banana last night. Can I please have my chain wallet back?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2007 8:18 PM

"sadly 2 other places nearby are about to shut down"

Oh, no! Is Arlene's Grocery one of them?

Posted by Waldo | March 29, 2007 8:51 PM

As a graphic designer, I can tell you with complete confidence that Mercury Lounge is not closing.

Posted by Jim | March 29, 2007 9:55 PM

I know that if Mercury Lounge closed I would fall over and die.

Posted by anonymus | March 30, 2007 12:01 AM

straight from the man who owns the whole empire: it's not closing.

from many other who know a thing or two: maybe?

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2007 12:49 AM

I think it's only a matter of time before it closes, mostly because construction will soon make it a mirror of Tonic: There's a 30 story condo unit going up literally right next to it. The condo owners likely aren't thrilled about the prospect of show-goers milling outside the lobby, possibly impeding the progress of the investment bankers who will live there.

I hope I'm wrong. I love Mercury.

Posted by db | March 30, 2007 10:17 AM

If Bowery Presents can afford to buy new clubs and in other ways continue to expand their company, they can afford to pay current and future LES rent. Dont worry about it. Mercury aint goin anywhere.

Posted by anonymous | March 30, 2007 4:03 PM