Posted in music | tour dates on April 5, 2007

The Hold SteadyDaft Punk

(some) NYC music fans are now faced with an unfortunate decision. Two of the (in my opinion) most exciting big Summer concerts are happening in Brooklyn on the same Thursday August 9th, 2007.

the DAFT PUNK & HOLD STEADY DILEMMA
Should I spend $50 to see what might be the concert of the year at Keyspan Park in Coney Island (Daft Punk, Rapture), or should I save my money and witness what might be one of the most exciting (and free) Hold Steady shows ever? The adopted Brooklyn band (via Minnesota) will be playing under the stars on the outdoor bandshell stage in Prospect Park in Park Slope with The Big Sleep and The Teenage Prayers in front of thousands of Brooklyn fans (I love shows like that - like this - especially if the weather is nice).

Both shows are sure to be memorable. The answer is that "I wish they weren't on the same day", but my real answer is that I'll probably go with Daft Punk for the obvious reason --> (money aside) Daft Punk don't come around every day, and The Hold Steady sort of do. It's doubtful the schedules would work out so there was time to see both - unless The Hold Steady show doesn't actually turn out to be August 9th...then of course maybe it'll rain which would potentially ruin both shows...that would be even worse. Oh, such problems!

The other big indie show at Prospect Park this year is a Canada celebration on June 30th that includes Malajube, The Stills, and Sam Roberts Band. Joan Osborne is playing a show too. All known Prospect Park ('Celebrate Brooklyn') shows listed below, and here.....

Prospect Park Band Shell, Brooklyn, NY
Thu 06/14 - The Neville Brothers (opening night)
Sat 06/16 - Joan Osborne
Thu 06/21 - Richard Thompson
Fri 06/22 - Ralph Stanley
Tue 06/26 - Manu Chao (info) (tickets)
Tue 06/27 - Manu Chao (info) (tickets)
Fri 06/29 - Ravi Coltrane, Groove Collective
Sat 06/30 - The Stills, Sam Roberts Band, Malajube (Canada)
Thu 07/05 - Isaac Delgado
Wed 07/18 - Ani Difranco (info)
Thu 07/19 - Morley, Blackmail with Alloy Orchestra
Fri 07/20 - Catherine Russell & Bobby "Blue" Bland
Thu 08/09 - The Hold Steady, The Big Sleep, The Teenage Prayers
Sat 08/11 - African Festival w/ Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars (info)

(note: this is a preliminary schedule - nothing official yet & more shows and details surely TBA)

The Hold Steady are also playing NYU and Carnegie Hall and elsewhere. The Big Sleep like fireworks.

More NYC summer concerts HERE.

this is indeed a dilemma. i thik it's possible that hold steady will play another free show in brooklyn. daft punk at keyspan might be a once in a lifetime opportunity. on the other hand, what if it rains?

Posted by horseycraze | April 5, 2007 7:32 AM

not a dilemma at all. daft punk all the way. how many times has hold steady played nyc in the last year alone? like 5? and how many times has daft punk played freakin coney island??? please. its a no brainer, even before bringing up the HOLD STEADY SUX factor.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 7:52 AM

i wonder how the big sleep is going to come across outside... think their huge sound will still have the same effect it does in a loud, small room? that's definitely the show i'd rather see either way. up all night posting, bv?

Posted by Bryan | April 5, 2007 8:18 AM

listen to the mp3's floating around of the 3 recent daft punk live gigs. then watch the coachella video. THEN realize they play the same f'n thing every time; it might as well be a cd, and you wouldn't know. they stand behind a booth, and all shows are nearly the same note for note. you put it together. and just listen to the cd at home, save yourself $50.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 8:26 AM

I was at Coachella and witnessed the Daft Punk show. Sure they were just "standing behind a booth". Sure it may be the same set every time (how many other bands are guilty of this). Two things are undeniable though......

1) The crowd energy was unreal at that show. THAT is what makes a truly great show.
2) The light show that they put on LIVE was nothing short of spectacular. Video can NEVER do that justice.

Posted by Fred | April 5, 2007 8:47 AM

No dilemma at all. Daft Punk. I have plenty of time to see Hold Steady any other day when they come back, which they surely will do.

Posted by Eduardo | April 5, 2007 8:52 AM

daft punk all the way. im gonna get a totonnos pie, get zooted, and dance all night.

Posted by sam | April 5, 2007 8:59 AM

OK I understand that people rave on about the Coachella show but I stiil can't quite grasp how Daft Punk has essentially been mythologized at this point when if you take an honest look at their output, when have they seriously released a really great album? Homework was fine enough, but none of their albums are really spectacular. "One More Time" remains one of the most annoying commerical (meaning radio and advertsing) songs from the electronic world. Does this have a lot to do with the LCD Soundsystem song? Is it their outfits?

Posted by will | April 5, 2007 9:50 AM

Let's see: Live band that actually plays instruments at a really great venue vs. live band that does nothing but play pre-recorded music in a really crappy venue? Yep, can see why that's a tough call for you. Why not invite some friends over, put a Daft Punk record on, dance around, and then you'll pretty much have the experience of seeing them "live."

Posted by Matt | April 5, 2007 10:05 AM

Yeah, this is a no-brainer. Daft Punk. "Homework was fine enough"?? Were you even there when they started to drop Da Funk at raves back in what was it 1995? Look up a little more history and you'll see that they really changed where electronic music went(in a very good way) with a ton of songs. While you're at it, lookup Thomas Bangalter while you're at it for the most played house track of 1998(Music sounds better with you). Besides, Astroland park is gone after this summer, so get your last rides on the wonder wheel before/after the show.

Actually no, scratch that go to the hold steady show. There'll be enough poseurs at daft punk.

Posted by rich | April 5, 2007 10:20 AM

daft punk, cause i'll be there and i want to hump your thigh

Posted by thigh master | April 5, 2007 10:27 AM

Flaming Lips also put on the same show every night and have tons of sampled parts. I guess the Daft Punk nay-sayers hate them too?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 10:34 AM

Free show = unemployed hipsters

Score for Daft Punk

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 10:39 AM

sanjaya is playing at roseland that night

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 10:54 AM

uh, is that even a question?

DAFT PUNK.

all you broke hipsters go to hold steady. that leaves me more room to dance at dp.

Posted by girl next door | April 5, 2007 10:56 AM

both good shows, no doubt! but logically, daft punks years are limited and hold steady will be around after they're gone, no?

Posted by shanarooni | April 5, 2007 11:04 AM

Dino's Wonder Wheel is at Dino's Wonder Wheel Park not Astroland. Ralph Stanley, heck yeah!

Posted by JJ | April 5, 2007 11:15 AM

Daft Punk you cheap bastard.

I can book Hold Steady to play my house if you want a free show.

Posted by MusicSnobbery | April 5, 2007 11:53 AM

Pretty sure Daft Punk field seats are all gone. Act quick if you still want in.

And....why anyone would check out a bar band (albeit for free) over Daft Punk in an amusement park is beyond me.

Dudes.......skeeball.....c'mon.

Posted by frank | April 5, 2007 11:55 AM

Wow, I'm really surprised by the outpouring of love for Daft Punk. Personally, I really, really hate their music. Never realized how popular they actually were. More power to 'em.

Posted by Steve | April 5, 2007 12:10 PM

are the field tix for daft punk sold out?

how do they differ from the bowl tix?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 12:48 PM

Field tickets appear to be sold out, yes.

The difference is between standing on the field or being in the stands. There are good bowl spots to be had, but for Daft Punk, being on the field will no doubt complete the experience.

Stage is centerfield facing homeplate.

Posted by frank | April 5, 2007 12:58 PM

just notice that ghostface was added to the spank rock show at highline on May 15. shazow! I think they upped the price of tix but still shazow.

Posted by miguel | April 5, 2007 12:58 PM

The seats at KeySpan vs. the field can be really irritating. They keep up the protective netting behind homeplate, so you're watching the show from far away, through a net. Not great.

Posted by Prospect Park is So So Fine | April 5, 2007 1:24 PM

sonic youth aug 7 and 8 @ prospect park

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 1:30 PM

sam roberts band is better than hold steady. deal with it.

do they sell vegan hot dogs at keyspan?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 3:13 PM

i love people that read this site thinking they're not hipsters. and that guy citing "raves in '95" lol. i'm sure you were there...in paris, no less...

daft punk is the ghostface/clipse of the electronic scene; hipster name drop bullsht.

the difference between flaming lips shows having samples and daft punk having their whole show on a cd is... well... that's the difference, guy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2007 3:23 PM

Go see the accountant.

Posted by JPaine | April 5, 2007 7:12 PM

you should go to daft punk because the hold steady...well, i shouldnt comment because i am so not a fan of their sound, look or sentiments...but mainly because i would think they'd draw an especially super-annoying crowd in park slope.

daft punk!

Posted by stomachache | April 5, 2007 9:07 PM

i just wish that i could say i have a chance to see the hold steady anytime...

Posted by bridget | April 6, 2007 3:46 AM

"sonic youth aug 7 and 8 @ prospect park"

Are those going to be the rumored NYC Daydream Nation shows?

Posted by Joe | April 6, 2007 6:29 AM

"mainly because i would think they'd draw an especially super-annoying crowd in park slope."

I agree. Unfortunately the free shows attract the unwashed masses.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2007 10:06 AM

Yes, Anonymous, I was really there in '95. At a Phato Productions Planet (Earth i think) rave at the Roxy when Da Funk dropped at 6 in the morning... We're not all little kid poseurs like yourself.

Posted by rich | April 6, 2007 11:45 AM

haha

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2007 2:00 PM

go to lollapalooza and you can see both.

Posted by Chris | April 12, 2007 4:41 PM

you know what, i'm glad that daft punk fans and hold steady fans are so inherently different. i hate (i mean HATE) electronic music, I'm a fan of live rock n' roll with real instruments, feeling and, good god, no f-ing noodle dancing hipster/hippies rolling around on the floor trying to "feel it". I'll be at Prospect Park watch a trio of rock bands do their thing in the warm weather with other like minded rock individuals.

Posted by Runs House | April 14, 2007 3:20 PM

^^doesn't know how to dance^^

Posted by copi | April 14, 2007 3:43 PM

it's not that i don't know how to dance, it's that i abhor people who noodle dance, and whether you like it or not, daft punk fans love to noodle dance. it's like watching phish fans who are really into meth. blech. rock n' roll is for alcoholics, please god let it stay thattaway.

Posted by Runs House | April 16, 2007 12:38 AM

i hate manu chao

Posted by recroom | May 14, 2007 5:13 PM

This year's lineup blows goats!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 8:57 PM

You have to see Daft Punk. END OF STORY!!!!

THIS IS THE GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME.....TRUST ME~~~

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 3:12 AM

I'm a huge, huge fan of Daft Punk.

I bought tix to 3 of their shows in the U.S. here since I know they don't come around too often.

I saw them at Coachella in the tent, and they were amazing. Light show, mix, energy of the crowd, everything was great.

Then I got a CD of the mix and listened to it repeatedly in preparation of the next show. Seeing them in LA was very cool, great crowd, but overall I was disappointed since the it was the exact same show with exact same tracks and timing as the CD I'd pretty much memorized.

I wish I could say i didn't feel let down, or that the energy of the crowd was high enough (and let me tell you, the crowd was pretty HIGH) to sustain the fact that it was like closing my eyes and listening to the CD. Except at the show I was sweating, because I was one of the thousand people on the floor.

So I'm definitely NOT a ney-sayer of DP, I still love their music, although I have to agree with some here and say when live bands play the same set, at least it sounds a little bit different. I defend the live aspect of DJ shows and LivePAs all the time since they can be mixed up a bit...although I really don't think this show was mixed up at all.

Long story short, if you haven't seen the DP show, absolutely go, no question...if you've seen it and memorized the set, go see the live band. Or if you want to get really f*ed up and dance, go to Daft Punk.

Posted by KP | July 23, 2007 3:24 AM

What time will Hold Steady start?

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2007 1:45 PM

Posted by jess guy | August 10, 2007 11:02 AM

Posted by jess guy | August 10, 2007 11:02 AM

"The Hold Steady show left me on cloud nine. I'd give the show a 10. Seriously, there was nothing that could have made it any better."

if they had only worn robot suits and didn't play their instruments..then that show would have been an 11!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 11:18 AM

is there an rsvp at going.com or elsewhere this year or is that over with?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 8:42 AM