Posted in comedy | music | pictures on April 20, 2007

Dave Hill, Rufus Wainwright & Dick Cavett @ UCB - Apr 19, 2007
Dave hill, Dick Cavett, & Rufus Wainwright

Last night's show was pretty surreal. I knew Dave Hill was having Rufus as a guest, and I kind of knew he was having Dick Cavett - but it didn't really register...."Dick Cavett"...OK, sure, whatever. Then, after performing a death-defying magic trick (aka escaping from a cardboard box), Dave introduced his first guest, and low-and-behold, Dick Fuking Cavett (no pun intended) walks out and proceeds to teach us how to do the moon walk....

Dick CavettDick CavettDick Cavett

"The Dave Hill Explosion" is basically a talk show - Dave Hill is the host (aka the Dick Cavett). Past guests have included Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright, Moby, Cowboy Randy Jones from The Village people, Martha Plimpton, Fred Armisen, Walter Schreifels, Sandra Bernhard, Joan Wasser, Lecy Goranson, Khrystyne Haje, Joe Franklin, Sam Bisbee, and Dean and Britta (Luna).

Last night Rufus Wainwright was the first guest to come back for a second time. Rufus sang two songs including my favorite from his new (not yet released) album. The song is called "Going to a Town". It was amazing and funny - Rufus sang to a backing track coming out of an iPod - backup singers included. He said he felt like he was on public access TV, and had never done anything like that before. Rufus is also really funny.

Dave hill, Dick Cavett, & Rufus Wainwright

Dave played some videos, Dave escaped from the box, there was a "midget" (Little Michael Jackson), Dave talked to Dick, Dick talked to Dave, Dick talked to us, Dick talked, Dick talked, Rufus sang, Rufus sang to Dick, Rufus talked to Dick, Dick talked to Rufus, Dick and Rufus hugged, Dave sometimes got a word in, there was lots of laughing, Dave sang a song to Dick and Rufus, Phil sang backup vocals.... I never wanted the show to end. Eventually it had to - it was already like 2 hours and cutting into the late-late show.

More pics below....

Little Michael Jackson as woman....

Dave does magic...

Dick...

Rufus....

Dave hill, Dick Cavett, & Rufus Wainwright

Get Dick Cavett DVD's at Amazon. Did I mention Dick had DVD's?

Previously
* Rufus Wainwright - presale + show with Dave Hill

what an amazing show. dave hill is a freakin riot. dick and rufus were hysterical together too, one upping each other with funny stories (although dick did win after telling his 27th monologue to the crowd). Wellllll worth the 5 dollar admission.

Posted by tom | April 20, 2007 3:56 PM

just to let you know, rufus' new album leaked the other day.

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2007 3:57 PM

From the angle of those pictures I have a feeling I was sitting right in front of them for the most part on the floor. Yeah, little michale jackson threw himself onto the guy sitting next to me while he was dressed as a belly dancer. Magical.

The show was amazing. Who knew Rufus had such great stories about the German language and Germany. The show was amazing.

Posted by Lauren | April 20, 2007 4:01 PM

definitely an amazing show. dick cavett is the man and rufus was fantastic! i was in the seat right next to you taking pictures as well.

and for anyone that didn't notice, john hodgman was sitting in the second row laughing his ass off and just generally having a good time. i'm surprised more people didn't mob him for pictures before/after the show, especially with all the mac/pc commercials these days.

Posted by Kelly | April 20, 2007 4:11 PM

it's good to see a new generation exposed to Dick Cavett...in an age when anyone can try to be a talk show host his work stands above any of any era

Cavett's approach was far more intellectual and sophisticated than any show before Charlie Rose

Because he could recognize and choose guests with historical significance, many of his conversations are regularly quoted in biographies and documentaries. He is a true legend.

Posted by Jfson | April 20, 2007 4:24 PM

i want to have Dick Cavett's baby(s)!

Posted by Tall blonde | April 20, 2007 4:26 PM

...for dinner!

Posted by Blonde cannibal | April 20, 2007 5:46 PM

I went to this not knowing Dick Cavett would be involved. Rufus and Dave Hill alone made for an amazing night but to see Dick Cavett moon walking is something i will tell people about for the rest of my life!

His gracious wit and statesman-like storytelling made me and everyone there feel lucky to be in the same room. Could I ask for anything better on a thursday night?

Yes i did ask...and Mr. Cavett answered by staying after the show to talk with audience and pose for pics. I was able to talk with him about the similarities between the Nixon and Bush administrations.

Thank you Dave Hill for making me laugh and for a hilarious "conversation" with Dick. And thank YOU Mr. Wainwright for singing a political PROTEST song at a time when we so desperately need one!

and most of all, thanks to BrooklynVegan for letting me know about historical events like these.

Posted by J | April 20, 2007 6:32 PM

Thanks for an amazing report and the fabulous photos! Sooo wish I'd been there!

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2007 7:16 PM

I just got tickets for the pipettes at highlin ballroom... woohoooo

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2007 9:17 PM

All of the shit about Hill's intro and Cavett's stories is true, and, as I can verify one more time for the oversaturated record, they, Hill, Cavett, and Wainwright, were hilarious.

Please forgive the following, as it might dawdle on, scarcely resembling a "comment" and occassionaly veering into the tedious, the pompous, the dorkish, the tiresomely dull. (Or, don't...)

While everyone seemed to -or, in my case, did, appreciate Cavett's moonwalking and stories, let me note that the tensions, and the expressions of those tensions, between Hill, somewhat trying to play host, and Cavett, hardly trying to play guest, kept their interactions in a strange mercurial state of hilarity. That comic struggle was immensely entertaining, and never really let that segment -or arguably the conversational parts of the show- slip into dullness. I mostly have in mind the few, scattered parts -or what felt like the few, scattered parts- where no one really seemed to speak at length. I.e. the kind of struggling cross-talk between the two where Hill would try to speak and Cavett would interrupt, or where Cavett would try to speak and Hill would interrupt.

Eventually, Hill would either yield to Cavett or Cavett would just ignore Hill, trying to chatter on (I don't have a clear impression of Cavett ever really seeming to yeild). In either case, the immediate result generally was Cavett telling yet another interesting/funny story. As the show went on, Hill couldn't really let Cavett chat as much, whatwith the schedule that kind of had to be kept. So, with Cavett still trying to throw in stories even after Wainwright sat down at the table, that struggle naturally seemed to heighten. Cavett taking on Wainwright and Hill. For example, before Wainwright performed his songs, Cavett kept asking Hill to let him tell a Groucho Marx story -he kept up after Wainwright sat down as well. Hill, trying to mind his time to *I guess* keep the show on schedule with Rufus, and trying to let Rufus speak, denied Cavett the opportunity to tell the story until the very end wherein Wainwright freely suggested they close out with it (the audience's interest I suspect had long been piqued for the story anyway). That constant struggle betweeen Cavett trying to tell it, Hill denying, and then Hill allowing Cavett to close with it was fantastic. Incredibly well played, considering all the conversation seemed to be on the fly. Now that I think about the show, I may not have laughed at all of the jokes, but, god, it never got boring and consistently had a sure number of kicks throughout.

Bright reminder (to myself) of what NY has to offer.

Posted by st | April 21, 2007 2:39 AM

to summarize the above post:

The show ROCKED!

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2007 6:48 PM

Does anyone know if this was being taped or will be available online???

Posted by Devin | April 23, 2007 8:03 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:59 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:59 PM

Yes, it was being taped, not sure where a video could be found, though.

Posted by anon | April 25, 2007 6:15 PM

Great Pics. This was a fun event to read about I hope that we get to hear more from them in the future!

Posted by Christopher Beard | September 24, 2010 11:12 AM

These Guys were awesome. I love these guys. Great Post!

Posted by andy bolton | October 25, 2010 2:55 PM