Posted in MP3 | music | music history | pictures on April 10, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Minutemen - History Lesson - Part II (MP3)

The Stooges @ United Palace

Popmatters has some great recent video interviews with Mike Watt (Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Kelly Clarkson). Mike talks about everything from almost dying, to first hearing the Stooges when he was 16, to actually becoming a member of reunited Stooges band. Last night (at my first Stooges show) it was great to watch him up there playing bass side-by-side with the incredible Iggy Pop.

The Stooges @ United Palace

Tags: Mike Watt

Seeing Watt on stage with Iggy et al was damned near heartwarming. It's a rare story of one of the good guys getting a well-deserved shot in the spotlight.

Econo!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2007 8:24 PM

best. basisst. ever.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2007 9:21 PM

jesus.

all i can think of now is pete and pete.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2007 9:51 PM

About time you went and saw a good band instead of all the crap you talk about on here!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2007 5:25 AM

I think Mike Watt in the Stooges is an utter waste. What a talent.... and yet he is reduced to those basslines and cant do some of those signature fIREHOSE & Minutemen sounds that make him truly unique. Son't get me wrong, his presence alone though is a great thing... but if you are going to get Mike f'n Watt then USE him.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2007 8:48 AM

Only on BrooklynVegan will you find commenters complaining about Mike Watt playing with a reunited Stooges.

Posted by Joey | April 11, 2007 10:19 AM

Not the orginal poster. I wouldn't complain about having Mike Watt in the Stooges, but his talent is being wasted. On the new album, Albini instructed Watt to play simpler lines ala the ST/Fun House. Somewhat insulting to the Asheton boys who could follow along with a problem.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2007 10:33 AM

I was the original poster.... and if you read what I wrote, I was not complaining about Mike Watt being in the Stooges (quite the contrary), but the fact that he is obviously holding (or being held) back.

You don't put replace Michael Anthony with Les Claypool.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2007 10:40 AM

Original poster, let's leave it up to Mike Watt AND the band to decide with what degree of difficulty or ingenuity his bass lines should be played. That's why they're rock icons, and you and I are mere commentators on a music blog. Keep that in mind. BTW, its Iggy & The Stooges. What the hell did you expect?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2007 10:58 AM

I think we did leave it up to them. We got "The Weirdness".

And what I expected was a better record.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2007 11:17 AM

Holy Cow, BV, you were, like, right there in front of Iggy's, um, lower anatomy for the show. Any impressions? ;-)

Posted by Dfactor | April 11, 2007 12:04 PM

Wow, the ripples in Iggy's skin in that last photo frighten me. I may have nightmares tonight.

Posted by Steve | April 11, 2007 12:32 PM

Too bad the freaking new album is the WORST RECORD I HAVE EVER HEARD.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2007 12:39 PM

that concert kick my ass. literally i mean. i was the kid moshing around i guess where i should'nt have been. just think kid in PINK SHIRT getting grabbed out of the audience and beaten as they threw me out the back door. well i got back in anyway. but i would pay another 60 to see the stooges again. GReat photos BV!

Posted by georgia | April 11, 2007 1:26 PM

Posted by georgia | April 11, 2007 1:26 PM

...last time I was onstage at the Palace Theater (I believe it was the RKO Collesium back then) was when I had my JHS graduation there in 1967. Macombs 82 in the Bronx.
Never could imagine 40 years later I go back to see this show. Thought it was great.

Posted by David | April 11, 2007 7:54 PM

The Times ran a piece about the making of that god awful new album and it wasn't Albini that told Watt to play simpler parts, it was Iggy. Actually Iggy said something like, "let your inner stupid person out" or something. I miss fIREHOSE.

Posted by will | April 11, 2007 8:05 PM

i have seen bowie play keyboards on a Iggy Pop tour with the sales brothers were blondie was booed off stage in Detroit

Posted by lahipster | April 11, 2007 9:23 PM

> had my JHS graduation there in 1967. Macombs 82 in the Bronx.

It took you 15 years to get through high school?

Congratulations!

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2007 1:11 PM

JHS-stands for Junior High School...

How did you figure 15 years from the post anyway?

I'll admit I may not be the brightest poster here...but YOU might be the one who needs to go back to school.

I just love it how hip everyone wants to be, to show off how smart/cool they are...wonder how many are actually natives of nyc.

Posted by David | April 13, 2007 8:43 AM

>How did you figure 15 years from the post anyway?

Well, if you graduated JHS in '67 (as you wrote), one would imagine you began HS that same September. September 1967. Then it says you were part of Macombs 82, which -- I guess -- means you graduated high school fifteen years later.

It was just a joke, David.

And for what it's worth, I'm a native of NYC, too. Stuy 81.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2007 2:11 PM

Nope. The Name of the school is Macombs JHS or PS 82...Since your from NYC I won't hold it against you (even though you are smart and special for going to Stuy!)

In HS I went to Taft in the Bronx in '69 but thankfully moved to Flushing and graduated Jamaica HS in '71.

No harm...but damn I am getting old! But so is Iggy and it is getting pretty scary!

Posted by David | April 14, 2007 6:16 AM

mike wattt a waste with the stooges?????
are you nuts...if you want complicated music
go listen to elp or mozart....this is the original punk rock.....this is the band mike watt grew up on....its not about the complication of the music its i hate to say it THE
RAW POWER...