Posted in music on May 11, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Slightly Stoopid - I Couldn't Get High (MP3)

Air @ the Theater @ MSG, NYC - May 10, 2007 (CRED)
AirAir

I don't get what the Tribeca Film Festival (a real festival that ended on May 6th) has to do with the High Line Festival (which started on May 9th, and is just a bunch of concerts and a few movies), but OK (via Gawker).

Becca went to see Air and TV on the Radio at the Theater at MSG last night, and didn't even realize it was part of the "The High Line Festival". The Music Snobbery guy knew full well what he was getting in to. According to Steve in the comments, TV on the Radio played just six songs (acoustic). I took last night off.

Good show last night. Air played a great seat, sound was good last night in the venue. My two complaints though are Air only played 4 songs off the new album?! Also the crowd were like zombies. I was in the 300 section and I didn't see anyone moving, dancing etc in the pit? What gives?

Posted by Craig | May 11, 2007 8:19 AM

what no moshing?

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2007 9:06 AM

Did anyone go to the after party (Junior Boys DJing at Hiro)?
I chickened out of staying up that late.

Posted by NAJORK | May 11, 2007 9:10 AM

Amazing sets from both bands (but that first opener was really meh). They closed out with a really interesting version of Satellite.

Posted by Steve | May 11, 2007 10:41 AM

pretty weak show. tv on the radio were great, but air didn't really take their songs anywhere new.

Posted by c | May 11, 2007 11:56 AM

i fell asleep during the third song. bummer.
anyone have the set list?

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2007 11:58 AM

Photograph
Don't Be Light
Kelly Watch the Stars
Encore: Alone in Kyoto
Sexy Boy
La Femme d'Argant

I had no expectations about how Air would be live, just took the plunge in case it was great. It was great!

Posted by Stiggasaurus | May 11, 2007 12:03 PM

I thought both TV on the Radio and Air put on really good shows. The venue and crowd were awful, though. Theater at MSG is by far my least favorite venue in NYC. Everyone sat the entire show and just seemed to talk with each other instead of pay attention to the bands. There must have been a lot of people with free tickets, because most of the people around me didn't even know who TV on the Radio was and only seemed to know a few Air songs.

The sound in the theater was good, but it felt like watching a concert in a convention center. Air did seem a little tired, like they were going through the motions sometimes, probably because this was their last show for a while of a pretty long tour.

Posted by Otm Shank | May 11, 2007 12:13 PM

Here's a clip of TVOTR - Satellite

I filmed a couple TVOTR songs and some of AIR. I was sort of more excited to see TVOTR just cos' I haven't seen them before. They were good. I actually have the actual set list at home. Haven't been so close to the stage for a lonnnng time so I enjoyed myself immensely.

Posted by Pam | May 11, 2007 12:39 PM

I think it was a good show. TV on the Radio got some new fans yesterday. Sound at the venue was perfect. People at GA were into the show all the time. If there were some that didn't I don't really care... I had a good time.

Posted by Eduardo | May 11, 2007 12:59 PM

I've got to agree with Eduardo. From the first few rows of GA it was like being at a smaller venue anyway. TV On The Radio disappointed me with their tiny mostly acoustic set and complete lack of stagecraft, but seeing them live was awesome anyway. Air's encore, particularly the accelerating beats at the end of La Femme D'Argant was stellar.

For the people who complain about the audiences: just dance. Dance and the world will dance with you. Frankly, I was shocked that anyone wasn't dancing by the end of the encore -- those beats were made for movement.

Posted by Moiche | May 11, 2007 2:33 PM

Pam:

That video you posted is really really good.

Posted by Mark B. | May 11, 2007 2:38 PM

psst. people might not have been moving because they were "high on the pot"
I think Air fried some brains when they broke out the strobe lights.

Posted by andomb | May 11, 2007 4:50 PM

TVOTR set list (I came home to look at it):
Ambulance
Province
Young Liars
Dirty
Tonight
Satellite

Posted by pam | May 11, 2007 5:53 PM

"TV On The Radio disappointed me with their tiny mostly acoustic set "

read back a few posts on this very page, and you will see that tv on the radio were added as an opener to the air show to play an acoustic set.

as an opener they got 40 minutes.
it was no surprise the set was going to be acoustic.
they sounded pretty great.
sitek played a typewriter as percussion.

did anybody notice a girl in the very front row who spent most of the show turned backwards staring with her mout open at something off in the distance? it was like she was hypnotised, and a little distracting.

Posted by kimani | May 12, 2007 8:10 AM

TVOTR KILLED IT the day before with project pat and deerhunter at wesleyan

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2007 3:18 PM