Posted in music | pictures | streams on May 7, 2007

In case you were wondering what Bjork was wearing at United Palace Satuday night (May 5, 2007)...

Bjork & United Palace

Compare that with her outfits at Radio City and Coachella.

Seriously though, another great show (don't take my word for it though - LISTEN TO THE WHOLE SHOW AT NPR).

The crowd was much rowdier (LOUD in a good way) than Radio City. At Radio City people were standing and sitting and getting in fights over standing, and getting yelled at for standing, but then standing, but then sitting, etc... At United Palace everyone stood (and screamed) from start to finish.

The crowd ended up disappointing me a little though. Unlike at Bloc Party and the Stooges (Bjork was my third time at the new venue already), the United Palace security was making sure people stayed in their seats (and out of the aisles). I thought for sure everyone would disregard sercurity, and just fill the aisles and rush to the front during "Declare Independence" ("Don't let them do that to you!!"). I thought maybe we'd get a mini-revolution going (Create your own flag!). I was wrong. Show ended peacefully. Everyone gave a collective "that's it?", and then we all went home quietly and riot-free.

The set list, and some more photos, below....

01. Cover Me
15. Pluto

encore
16. Declare Incepencence

Bjork & United Palace

Bjork & United Palace

Bjork & United Palace

The next night Arcade Fire, Beirut, Final Fantasy and the rest of the indie world converged downtown at the Bowery Ballroom.

Bjork plays her third NYC show this Tuesday night at Apollo Theater - with Spank Rock.

Previously
* Pictures & set list from Radio City
* Your continuing guide to Björk (Volta)

That's odd about security. My guess is that it changes with the make-up of the crowd. As the bitchy factor gets higher (i.e., a crowd for Bjork...no offense), the security gets tighter. At last weeks Modest Mouse show....security didn't care where you stood or sat as long as you were having a good time

The Palace is great venue so hopefully they'll loosen up for every show there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2007 5:48 AM

United Palace released 200 GA (standing room only) tix for this show.
i ordered one from ticketmaster (i know...i know, but i'd never seen the Bjorkster and always regretted it) at about 6:00 sat. night.
By 9:30, i was watching the Bjork and Antony duet which was really something special. it kind of reminded me of the Morrissey and Siouxsie "interlude" collaboration.
but anyway...GA ticketholders were told to stand in the far right aisle against the wall but i was able to grab a seat in the center aisle, nine rows back.
you can pretty much sit anywhere, the staff hardly checks tickets. unless someone complains.
i asked the staff if they would be releasing tix for Arcade Fire, mon and tue. and they said it is likely.
i got tix for radio city already so i just wanted to give everyone else a heads up.

Posted by Christopher | May 7, 2007 6:32 AM

Security were more strict at Bjork only because the fire department got wind of what was going on the United Palace and ordered security to keep the aisles clear. Security didn't care if you stood or sat in your seats. Walked up for encore and they still pushed me to the side although still front row

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2007 9:07 AM

I was actually surprised by how many people were up and jumping during "Declare Independence". I was in the lower loge, and I rarely see people really going nuts once they're off the ground floor (probably out of fear of falling down), but that night, most of the loge was up and there were loads of fists in the air on every "Higher!"

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2007 9:16 AM

Today is the posted release date for Volta. Is that everywhere except the US? I stopped at Virgin on my way to work and they said it was due out tomorrow and amazon.com still has it listed as a pre-order as well.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2007 9:17 AM

I love her but $100 for 75 minutes?? Bull$#!t. I know it's quality over quantity but she's got 7 albums and went 2 hours or so at Coney Island a few years back. Good show but def a letdown for the money.

Posted by J | May 7, 2007 9:29 AM

I thought the riot should have happened after Bjork ended her short show with that grating Declare Independence. The one-song encore/simplistic diatribe seemed stingy IMHO. (And the security was obnoxious; I was told by an usher I had to "LEARN TO LISTEN" when I couldn't find my seat immediately in the dark among those poorly marked aisles.) But none of that really matters; Bjork was magnificent and I'll not soon forget Min Xiao-Fen SHREDDING that pipa.

Posted by Max Power | May 7, 2007 9:53 AM

There is no reason to complain about Bjork's show on Saturday night. It was amazing. Worth every penny. She gave her all...her energy was incredible!!! I was in the upper balcony (row J) and I could see perfectly. Yes, the security made us stay in our seats for a while, but it wasn't that big of a deal. It didn't ruin the mood, (at least it did not prevent me from freaking out in my seat) and the crowd mentality was able to over ride the demands of the staff once Army of Me started (and sitting down was basically unavoidable due to the massive amount of energy coming from that stage. oh my god.) and then everyone pretty much stood from then on. Lasers, anyone? Oh my god. And, the encore, was the most energetic concert experience I have ever had.
RAISE YOUR FLAG! HIGHER!! HIGHER!!!

Posted by Al bo Bal | May 7, 2007 10:10 AM

Hey, I've never been up to United Palace Theater before, is there anywhere good nearby to catch a drink beforehand?

Posted by one of them | May 7, 2007 10:14 AM

Yeah, I don't know where BV was sitting, but I was in the balcony & NO ONE was standing throughout the whole show. We stood when the show started, during "Earth Intruders," but after that security ran around motioning people to sit down. It was weird, but I didn't mind, since my friend was under the weather & sitting anyway. Most people stood for "Army of Me" & everyone was up again for "Declare Independence," but we were mostly seated throughout the show. What was the orchestra like?

Again, I didn't mind. If I have a seat I'd like to eventually sit in it anyway. But it was still strange. How can security really get away with that?! Clearing the aisles is one thing, but making people sit?!

Also- to anonymous at 9:17am, US releases have ALWAYS been on Tuesdays. That's nothing new. It's Mondays throughout Europe. Amazon should tell you that the (US) release date is 5/8. That's why it's still technically a pre-order.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2007 10:28 AM

There is a gay bar called No Parking that is two blocks up from the theater. It's nice. If youre straight I cant help you, but I would consider that bar as an option.

I loved the show-Army of Me was definitely the best song, the theater just exploded when that song started...and all the lasers! I never noticed how short the show was until it was over and I walked home (ah to live in Upper Manhattan!) I wish that she had played one more song for the encore, but we got Hyperballad and Radio City didnt! The duet with Antony was great.

I liked the theater-its almost ridiculously ornate. The flow of people could be managed better somehow-the trek to get to my seat was really annoying but I figure give it time and it will get better-but if there is a band you want to see, dont hesitate to make the trek up there-it's worth it.

Posted by Charles | May 7, 2007 10:33 AM

Getting out of there was a nightmare, too. It took forever. The 200 standing room tickets make sense now... it just felt like there were TOO many people in there. If there was a fire, we'd have all been toast!

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2007 10:51 AM

Reynolds Bar on 180th is a sweet mellow spot for some beers before the show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2007 12:23 PM

i don't get it - hot could anybody be disappointed? her voice is perfect, so cutting through (like ice!)- has always been. of course, the show could have been longer, but it wasn't short either. as for security, they were blocking the view at times... overall, the concerts in the US are always so f...in' organized - can't stand up, have to stay on your seat, etc. and the fact that at the end the lights are turned on while the people are still clapping is so annoying. sort of like, ok, time to go! BUT she's a true artist and has never ever been disappointing.

Posted by kristi | May 7, 2007 8:41 PM

I was in the 3rd Row on the aisle, and I was so happy that security kept the aisle clear, it made for a much more enjoyable show. And BV is right about the floor. Everyone on the floor was standing for the entire Bjork set, which was outstanding btw.

Posted by danlynch | May 8, 2007 12:38 AM

i was in the orchestra didnt sit down at all, jumping and screaming the whole time, the whole orchestra section was the same! sooo awesome!

Posted by mauricio | May 9, 2007 10:57 AM

1st time i see bjork live and it was really awsome...!

anyone knows how to convert the NPR
broadcast to MP3 files???????

Posted by Alv | May 10, 2007 12:51 PM

I am a security guard for the United Palace Theater. I was working the night of the Bjork show. First of all, let me point out that we (the security guards) are guest of the church. Yes, the United Palace is still considered a church (no matter how many vegans/hipsters go there for shows). Second, there are two teams of security, one is the "house" security, and the other is the company that I work for. The house security are the tall men in suits with earpieces. Whatever these guys do or say goes because they work for Rev. Ike and the church. Third, the United Palace one of the largest venues in New York. If people are blocking the isles the fire department will shut us down. The theater is old and if there ever was a fire or a structural collapse there would be a stampede. As security we are responsible for 3800 people's lives.

As for a "mini-revolution" or starting a riot...are you serious? It's a Bjork show. If any number of people started a riot security would just call the NYPD and leave the building. Just because a singer is saying something in his/her lyrics doesn't mean you have to take it literally. When Iggy Pop sang, "My idea of fun is killing everyone", did you think that it would be fun to kill everyone?

Next time you go to a show and decied to write about the staff you should first consider who they are and what they do. The staff keeps you, Brooklyn Vegan, safe. If you are into shows that get shut down by the fire department, by all means block the isles. Then maybe you can start a "mini-revolution" out on the sidewalk against the FDNY. Good luck with that one.

Posted by Dave | May 14, 2007 1:20 PM

spotted charlotte gainsbourg and michel gondry in the center orchestra...

pretty rad...