Posted in music | radio on May 14, 2007

A threat to free speech, or bigots getting what they deserve?

Imus

From this article in the NY Daily News:

* CBS confirmed "The Dog House with JV and Elvis" show was canned permanently after an on-air prank call three weeks ago ordered "slimp flied lice" from a Chinese restaurant.

* In the wake of the Imus case, it would have been maddening to the community if these idiots did not get fired," said Queens City Councilman John Liu.

* The show had aired on WFNY-FM in the slot immediately after shock jocks Opie and Anthony - whose careers also hang in the balance.

* And comedian Donnell (Ashy) Rawlings also lost his job on New York's Power 105.1 FM station last week after he was suspended for making an anti-Semitic remark - reportedly saying "a cheap black guy" should be better known as "a Jewish black guy."

* But 100 protesters yesterday gathered in Union Square to support radio personalities under fire. "It's not about whether you like what you heard or not," said Debbie Wolf, president of People Against Censorship. "I find censorship to be far more offensive than anything that was said."

If you're like me, you never even heard of JV and Elvis until just a few weeks ago when they made waves (sort of) right here in the indie rock community (is there such a thing?)

In other news, Verizon drops sponsorship of Gwen Stefani / Lady Sovereign tour for actions of Akon. Akon says he's sorry.

thanks god those a holes are off the air. the worst show on radio.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 11:43 AM

thanks god those a holes are off the air. the worst show on radio.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 11:43 AM

Radios have off switches. This is America and people can say what they want whether it's offensive or not

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 11:50 AM

so our right to free speech is contingent on if it offends anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 12:00 PM

the amount of trash on radio is out of control, I don't mind a little clean up......these frat boy clowns need to be canned.....

Posted by nolte | May 14, 2007 12:03 PM

Yes, radios have off switches. Radio personalities also have bosses like the rest of us. If you said what any of these people said and your boss was around, would you keep your job? I am against censorship, but these people are not going to jail for what they said, they are losing their jobs. I am for your free speech, but if I don't like what you say do I have to pay for it? Let's keep the censorship argument focused to what is actually going on here rather than a knee-jerk reaction. People have the right to say what they want, and their bosses and sponsors have the right to stop paying them for this behavior.

Let's see where this comment takes the discussion, I am quite curious...

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 12:04 PM

The right to speak freely (which has some minor limits, e.g., you can't falsely yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded theater) doesn't include the entitlement to an audience or the right to use privately-held assets owned by another party to disseminate your speech. I would have a problem if these numbnuts had no outlet whatsoever through which to disseminate their verbal flatulence, but they can still find a public space in which to set down the proverbial soapbox.

Posted by I | May 14, 2007 12:11 PM

A threat to free speech? I must have missed the part where these people were thrown in jail.

These people became financial liabilities for the corporations they were hired to represent. While the main problem is that those corporations may have failed to set specific standards for their paid representatives to observe, those corporations absolutely have the right to redirect their ships when they feel society is pressuring them to represent more respectful speech. Meanwhile, Don Imus can get on his ham radio and Nappy-Headed Ho himself 'til he's blue in the face.

Also: All these morons sucked.

Posted by J | May 14, 2007 12:13 PM

"Yes, radios have off switches. Radio personalities also have bosses like the rest of us. If you said what any of these people said and your boss was around, would you keep your job?"

That's the crux of the issue. These people are being hired to be controversial. Oftentimes, it's explicitly stated in their contracts. The stations can't have it both ways -- hiring individuals and teams to "stir the pot".... then claiming to be "shocked and appalled" when people get stirred.

Radios have switches... radio stations also have delays and "dump" buttons. No one at the station felt the need to employ those defense mechanisms in either case (with Imus, there was the added protection of MSNBC's own delay). Whether they're bigots or victims, these guys got fired for doing exactly what they were hired to do, and the execs are playing both sides against the middle.

Posted by Steve | May 14, 2007 12:16 PM

The idea of free speech wasn't intended for powerful media conglomerates so they can have a racist-based laugh at the expense of struggling minorities. I agree with the above post: if you said these things in your workplace, you'd be fired in a heartbeat. Why? Because they're blatant examples of discrimination. Everyone cries censorship foul but this goes a bit beyond that. Some may think it's a simple joke, but how funny do you think an entire race of people would find it, that they're being put down for no other reason than the color of their skin?

Posted by pT | May 14, 2007 12:17 PM

What these protesters do is terrorism. They are not fans of any of the shows that hey protest and just flood the advertisers with emails. No one who listen to Imus live that morning was offended, just everyone else who heard it a few day later in the news. Americans are just turning into faggots. How is it free speech if everybody has to agree with everything you say?

Regular radio is dead, every station will soon be like JACK-FM here in NY.

Satellite radio is radio's only hope at this point

Posted by XM Fan | May 14, 2007 12:18 PM

XM Fan... I'm an O&A fan... you're not helping. Stop helping. Thanks.

Posted by Steve | May 14, 2007 12:28 PM

I'm all for free speech, but the ignorance these "Shock Jocks" perpetuate is disgusting. I think that more than anything is why they should be fired. I'm staunchly against any form of censorship, but when radio hosts spout such hateful/bigoted slop to an adoring fan base I think it goes beyond "free speech" to encouraging a minor agenda of sorts. Have you ever actually had a conversation with a fan of one of these people? Eat it up and digest it long enough and you'll see what byproducts these people are. I remember one time I turned to some conservative shock jock station where basically the host was saying women are incapable of doing anything but raising children, and that even that was nothing difficult to do.. then he had women call in (most of them educated, knowledgeable) as he berated them with such hate and anger all the while an audience of what sounded like 50 men cat calling and screaming at her. It sounded like that scene from requiem for a dream where the men incircle the girl...my point is, yes free speech is imporant, but the feelings it can illicit or encourage must also be taken into account. I guess I struggle with the idea of free speech being more important when it serves to progress rather than digress.

Posted by D | May 14, 2007 12:28 PM

Anybody who gets offended by the remarks made about Condi on the Opie & Anthony show are full of shit. Number one it is a subscription show so people dont have to listen. And if it was a similar comment made about Rosie O'Donnell no one would care...its just that the christian right wing got a hold of it and used their "machine" to turn it into an issue.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 12:29 PM

Posted by roy | May 14, 2007 12:38 PM

Posted by Matt | May 14, 2007 12:44 PM

I have strong feelings on the subject - - wrote about this the other day on my site: http://www.freeindie.com/2007/05/getting_on_my_soapbox_radio_po.html

Posted by Mike | May 14, 2007 12:45 PM

"We seriously live in a land of pussies. These are jokes. Everyone acts so uptight and pretends to be offended by dumb jokes. I just can't take it anymore. It's wasted energy. Even if you don't enjoy their humor the fact is these people make an honest living telling jokes on the radio. You shouldn't hold the power to get them fired."

Im going to go out on a slight limb and assume that you are a straight white guy-the type that no one can make a career making fun of. And I love how all of a sudden after years and years of this crap, all of a sudden white guys are complaining about women, blacks and gays, Asians calling people on their shit and exercising their "power"-power that they havent had for decades.

I dont think it's some major loss to American culture to see these people get called on their shit.

Posted by Charles | May 14, 2007 12:58 PM

Dear Charles - !@#$% please!

"straight white guy-the type that NO ONE can make a career making fun of" uh, let's see, Richard Pryor, Dave Chapelle to name a few.

For "flied lice"!? Give me a fucking break, that's so not offensive, much less than the "white people are evil and suck, black people are always cool" Def Comedy Jam crap we've put up with for the past decade.

Y'up , I'm white and I'll laugh at myself and at other races, but that doesn't mean that I will use race to determine who I would hire (if I'm ever in that position) or be friends with someone.

Fuck your double standards

Posted by Death Charon | May 14, 2007 1:14 PM

it's hot in here. where's the cabo wabo?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 1:25 PM

oh god please with all this. every group gets made fun of by someone. Please do not go saying white guys have it so easy and they dont get picked on. Apparently you have never watched any episde of Def Comedy Jam. Now the question of what effect it has or the joke coupled with the power the group has in society is another question. Although I dont believe in the idiotic spike leeism that says for example that black people cant be racist cause they do not have power. Bullshit. Equality means just that. Across the board. I do not discriminate against anyone and i do not accept it from anyone else. That being said there are past injustices that need to be corrected. The fact is this country is still extremely racist, bigoted and ant semitic. It is more insiduous now because it is not so loudly expressed but yet more something whispered or kept inside. So when jokes like these people make are aired they become magnafied. And dont play yourself, these are jokes and some find them funny and some don't. Personally I think we all need to be able to laugh at ourselves and we should all be able to hear jokes like this and be able to laugh and yet still respect human beings and whatever their makeup is. Unfortunately most human beings are failed and cannot do this. I think what is going on lately though is crazy and totally uncalled for. And i agree with the person who said these corporate owners encourage these guys to do this and then feign anger and shock when someone feels offended. DO not cowtow to these groups. Stand up to them. Tell them to go shove it and relax. The truth is most of these groups complaining are hypocrites and by giving in to them you only embolden them in the future to think they can get what they want. I find most of what Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity say on the radio completely offensive but i deal with it, realize what morons they are and i go on with my life. I wish more of society could be like that but that is not what the world is today. Truth be told, what did Imus say that was so shocking. Look at the picture of the rutgets women's basketball team. Some of those girls indeed had nappy hair. Some of them may in fact be hoes, who knows? It was a freaking joke and not a very funny one but thats just my opinion. The day i heard it i also went out to lunch with a lovely female friend of mine who happens also to be a black woman. It had no affect on my relationship with her. Shockingly we were the same 2 people we were the last time we hung out.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 1:26 PM

99 percent of the people i've met who are "sick of being pc" are straight, white and christian.

Posted by roy | May 14, 2007 1:34 PM

wow roy, you must live in a pretty white neighborhood then because in my experiences people of all races are sick of being overly PC.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 1:43 PM

I'm actually really happy these guys are getting kicked off the air...maybe radio can go back to what it it ought to be doing and start paying attention to all the amazing music they could be playing! I don't know that anyone should really be all that offended by what these people say, but it sure would be nice if they raised their game a little. I mean, really, is 'flied lice' funny to anyone over 8? You ought to be good at your job to keep it...so they way I see it if crank calling Chinese restaurants is their "A" game, then they ought to be let go.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 1:45 PM

"

Dear Charles - !@#$% please!

Fuck your double standards"

Wow. How articulate. And I loved the "%^@ please" -sneaky.
Sorry, I just think that 1. it's pathetic to equate Pryor and Chappelle with some POS shock jock.
2. It's not only white shock jocks getting fired-Donnell Rawlings (an associate of Chappelle) was fired for making Jewish jokes
3. If Def Comedy Jam so mortally offended you, why didnt you complain, why are you bringing it up as an example only now?

"every group gets made fun of by someone."-sure, but some people get made fun of more than others for attributes that they have no control over and after a certain point they have the right to say "no more"

And sure white people get made fun of-what power does that have? What word could you call a white guy or white men as a whole that is as wounding as "cunt" or "chink" or "nigger"? Seriously? I know it's not and it shouldnt be a game of who has suffered more oppression, but let's be real.

Posted by Charles | May 14, 2007 1:47 PM

Whether you like the show or not JV & Elvis should still be on the air (and so should Imus). That skit was nothing compared to shit Howard has done in the past. The difference is if these organizations went after Howard he would fight back and they would lose. So instead they go after smaller shows that can't defend themselves. And they don't do it because they're offended. The sole purpose of this bullshit is to bring attention to their organizations that no one would ever hear about otherwise. Even if you hate these radio shows this is a free speech issue and since it's slightly racial no one can call bullshit on this. Well it is bullshit and it's just going to get worse. Pretty soon it WILL effect music but it will be too late by then.

Posted by matt | May 14, 2007 1:54 PM

Charles, I know it's juvenile but I'm reminded of the South Park episode "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" where in the end, Stan realizes that he just has to admit he doesn't and will never understand what it's like to be black, spanish, asian, etc. Once people realize this, the next best thing to do is to be able to learn how to tolerate different kinds of people and stop being so narrow-minded. This country has a lot of racism, and all these radio stations do is to support/fuel that hate.
With the exception of hate crimes, I don't think being made fun of for being white is as offending as being made of for belonging to a minority group. Minorities get discriminated against everywhere in this country. Living as a minority has a negative stigma to it which lasts FOREVER. This is something white people do not have to deal with on a daily basis.

Posted by alicekats | May 14, 2007 2:11 PM

"on one hand i'm all for free speech...on the other, i'm happy when homophobic aholes lose their jobs."

Assuming these people are homophobes based on what they say on the air isn't really fair; it's like saying Edward Norton is a bigot because of his role in "American History X". Or thinking Stephen Colbert really behaves like his character when at home. These people are paid to portray on air personas that aren't necessarily the same as their actual ones. They're paid to make noise and offend and get people up in arms.

But apparently they go "too far" sometimes, and they get fired. As others have said, yes, they have a right to say what they like, but the sponsors have an equal right to not give them any money if they do.

Personally, I hope they all end up on satellite/Internet radio or something. Not because I agree with them (I don't, haven't listened to any of them, but I've read a bit about it and don't care for it), but because it still feels a bit too close to censorship for me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 2:13 PM

I'm not buying the free speech argument. Explain why it's ok for radio personalities to say and do things that would get you fired in any other job? If your boss or assistant was Chinese and you spoke to them in a fake Chinese accent, would that be ok? It's free speech...but it's also very clearly inappropiate. I don't think that these radio guys can have no standard of decency and say it's in the name of comedy. Especially when they are NOT FUNNY or in any way creative. And saying it's been done before isn't a reason to keep doing it. But then again, maybe I'm just a tight ass. Howard Stern has never made me laugh either, and apparently a lot of people think he's funny. I just think he's gross. Ick.

Posted by lynne | May 14, 2007 2:13 PM

"This is something white people do not have to deal with on a daily basis. "

As a white Jew I disagree.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 2:16 PM

Charles, I think you missed his point. He was saying that white people get made fun of as well and he used examples such as pryor and chappele and def comedy jam
He was not saying he was offended by it to do anything. He was saying that these examples made fun of white people and that he laughed it off. Much like what you should be doing. And while i agree that Pryor and Chappelle are so heads and tails above these guys but you as well as i and everyone don't get the right to say who someone should be offended by and who they shouldnt. As well you DO NOT get the right to say no more and get rid of these people. That is the concept of living in a free society. You DO get the right to not listen to it, not read it and ignore it or even speak out against it
It is too bad that this is happening cause believe me this kind of thing has a chilling effect and that will have much greater im pact on things in the future.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 2:17 PM

"Explain why it's ok for radio personalities to say and do things that would get you fired in any other job?"

Explain why it's OK for a wrecking crew to knock down a building, but whenever I do it, people get pissed off.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 2:22 PM

Death Charon: People have made plenty of funny jokes at the expense of white people, but white people can afford it. We're just a couple of generations- at best- away from government sanctioned segregation, which Imus is old enough to remember first-hand. It's not time for straight white men to crack on minorities like it's all good. It's a subtle and insidious form of oppression. And it's sure as hell not an "honest living". How many millions has he made reinforcing stereotypes? Boo hoo.

If there's a double standard here it's that Ann Coulter escaped the same treatment for calling John Edwards a "faggot". Still can't believe that one. Or XM Fan for that matter.

Posted by J | May 14, 2007 2:23 PM

Lynne,
saying something to someone directly in an office workplace is comepletely different than saying something on a radio show and a radio show that is supposed to be humorous(again even if you dont think it is) Again people, what is creative and funny to you may not be creative and funny to others. You do not get to dictate your standards to other people.
Clearly it is inappropriate but if everything said in this world was appropriate then this would be some kind of fucked up world we live in. More so than now.
Personally i think the more we get our stereotypes and attitudes out in the open the better we can deal with them. I would rather someone call me what he thinks of me to my face then say it under his lips or behind my back. But thats just me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 2:25 PM

A lot of you miss the point. You don't have the right to pick and choose your free speech battles if you TRULY believe in it and our Constitution. You may not like the shows that are being brought up here but sooner or later someone will come for your cause's free speech righs.

Freedom of speech is an all or nothing thing. Turning your snobby nose up at "Shock Jocks" is a very foolish thing to do. People have the right to listen to whatever they want, and we want to hear fun, edgy radio.

Posted by Moe S | May 14, 2007 2:25 PM

Ok...everyone shut the fuck up. How can white people not make comments about black people and black culture in general when the following people are the most prominent/ influential black people in the US??? Is this not comedy enough?

Jesse Jackson
Rev Al Sharpton
P. Diddy
Snoop Doggy Dog
50 Cent
R. Kelly
Ludacris
Stephon Marbury
Ron Artest
Koby Bryant
Barry Bonds

Dont forget the black martyrs:
2Pac and Biggie!

Posted by Shutthefuckup | May 14, 2007 2:32 PM

Anonymous 2:17- I hope it DOES have a greater impact on the future. I am ready for people to stop being able to make a living by appealing to the (sometimes unrecognized) sexism, racism, and homophobia of their listeners.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 2:32 PM

In your list of what we do and don't have the right to do you didn't mention what their bosses have the right to do...which is fire them if they choose. It's crazy thinking that these guys aren't expected to be decent human beings just because they are 'shock jocks'. It's a double standard to have them on the air making derogatory comments that anyone else in any other job would be fired for. It's not ok just because it's in the name of comedy.

Posted by lynne | May 14, 2007 2:35 PM

I disagree. And that, my friend, is free speech in action.

Posted by lynne | May 14, 2007 2:38 PM

"He was saying that these examples made fun of white people and that he laughed it off. Much like what you should be doing. "

But I'm *tired* of *always* having to laugh it off. Of *always* being accused of not having a sense of humor-guess what? I do! It's always on me to 'get over it"-which is another way of saying accept the fact that you will be the butt of the joke and it's easier to make fun of you than it is to make fun of me" And I (they) have the right to finally call them on it-like people have said before-they are just losing their jobs-guess what-I've lost my job-I pulled myself together and got a better one (I need to stop writing here and get back to work!)

And everyone talks about freedom of speech-what about some bare minimum of *responsibility* for what you say?-especially if you are lucky enough to have a radio show with a large audience-you arent entitled to a radio broadcast. Everyone on here has been talking about "freedom, freedom, freedom", so much so that the word is losing it's meaning for me. But what good is freedom without thought and responsibility to go along with it?

Posted by Charles | May 14, 2007 2:40 PM

>>Freedom of speech is an all or nothing thing.

And all of these people are out there and free to say whatever they'd like. Freedom of speech does not require a corporation to pay someone to go on the air and say things with which they disagree.

Posted by J | May 14, 2007 2:43 PM

Anonymous 2:25- I think it IS great that Imus got his "stereotypes and attitudes" out in the open so we could deal with them. Which we did.

Moe S- I don't really see what was "edgy" about Imus. Racism and sexism aren't exactly groundbreaking approaches to comedy.

I just don't see why people are championing this guy. Nobody's infrining on his right to free speech. People are losing their appetites for this dinosaur's schtick, so he's taking an early retirement.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 2:47 PM

Hahaha this is getting comical at this point so let me address another few innacuracies. And it will be filled once again with free speech.
To Anon 2:47pm-in responding to your quote I think it IS great that Imus got his "stereotypes and attitudes" out in the open so we could deal with them. Which we did.

You whoever you are did absolutely nothing. Some corporate execs who encouraged this kind of behavoir in the first place got scared by a few hypocritical morons and gave in to them. Now what in fact really happened is
1)these corp execs are going to lose a ton of money and maybe their jobs because Imus brought in quite a bit of revenue plus he is suiing them and he is going to get a huge chunk of his salary trust me.
3)in the end there will still be people on the radio saying these things and getting away with them forever and you can bet Imus will be on the air somewhere as well.

Charles, relax man and stop playing the martyr. You always had the right to call anyone on anything. You think you are emboldened cause of what is going on now. It is just a blip on the map of time. But you are right, with freedom of speech comes responsibility and thought. That is the thought and responsibility in countering the ridiculous speech, the hate speech and the offending speech. Not by trying to shut it down or make it go away because you will never truly eradicate it that way.

Finallly to Lynne,
Yes corp bosses do have the right to fire these guys but not when they hired them to do the exact thing they fired them for. That is just being spineless and yellow bellied. And yes doing something on a supposed comedy show is diff than doing it in your office workplace. The same way say a porn actress taking off her clothes on a movie set and taking off her clothes in an office building are 2 very diff things. And you can disagree and that is free speech but you can still be wrong. And im fine with knowing you are wrong. I wouldnt try to stop you from expressing it.I will only keep working to prove it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 3:24 PM

"2)the actions will indeed have a chilling effect that at some point will trickle down to have a negative impact on you in some way in the future."

"At some point... in some way"- would you care to actually make an argument, rather than being vaguely ominous?

I love being PC. I really do. I think we could all benefit from examining the subtle prejudices that influence the attitudes, language, and behaviors of even the most well-intentioned of us. It is a small but valuable step in making the world a more humane and civil place.

So yeah- suck it up, whitey :)

Posted by Anon 2:47 | May 14, 2007 4:33 PM

"And for the person who said living as a minority has a stigma that lasts forever is just plain wrong. Get over your own insecuruities. It is only a stigma if you allow it to be."

--My own "insecuruities"? This is reality. If you want to ignore it, that's fine. But maybe you never had a harsh racial slang thrown in your face and have that feeling linger on while the perpetrators probably don't even think twice about they did. I can go two days, three months, 7 years without any such incident but I guarantee it WILL happen again. I don't live life everyday expecting it but it won't surprise me if it did. That is what I mean by "forever."

"This is something white people do not have to deal with on a daily basis.

As a white Jew I disagree."

-- Ok, so am I. You know what I meant when I say "whites".

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2007 6:56 PM

I am incredibly board by this...

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 12:39 AM

To 6:56pm
I am playing the smallest violin in honor of your martyrdom. We have all had things said to us in one form or another in our life. No one goes unscathed. Of course some more than others but if you play the victim then the stigma will last forever. It is your choice. That is the reality.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 12:49 PM

It'a all a matter of perspective. Believe it or not, there are neighborhoods and schools where whites are a minority and it's the same shit.

There is a huge difference between, "Hey white boy, why your pants so tight, look, I think I see his little dick sticking out! Haha, just kidding, wanna play some ball?" and "Hey white boy, got any change. NO!? Why, is it because I'm black (or filipino)!? Fuck you, bitch" BIFF BOOM POW!

Talk all you want, but both of those have happened to me. Same shit happens on almost a monthly basis it seems to most of the white people I know in Brooklyn that live in minority dominated areas.

There is a difference between racist jokes and straight racist hate.

To Charles: articulate-Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language. Thanks for the sarcastc compliment, but I do believe my posts have been clear and effective, maybe more so than yours? Settle down, dude. No hard feelings.

Posted by Death Charon | May 15, 2007 1:52 PM

I wonder if anyone posting has actually ever listened to Imus when he's had pretty big time guests and political commentators from all different backgrounds on...or know about all of the charity work and good him and his wife do.

A racist joke/remark doesn't necessarily make someone racist. He has a recurring segment making fun of an Irish cardinal, does that mean he hates Irish Catholics? Hardly.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 8:08 PM