Posted in MP3 | music | pictures on May 16, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Daniel Johnston - Walking the Cow (MP3)

Daniel Johnston @ Warsaw

To be continued....

I almost cried this show was so good,
"True Love will find you in the end"
was beautiful, even if it got cut off prematurely,
there was no vibe whatsoever that anyone was going to this show as some kind of "outsider art thing" (i.e. let's go stand around the mentally ill) everyone at warsaw was digging the SONGS and Daniel was in good Coherent and surprisingly really funny condition
one piece of between song banter:

"I had a dream where I saw someone who was being sentenced to death for trying to commit suicide... and the person was me... it was weird"

the band I think the audience felt was a bit heavy-handed, they sounded similar to the band on "Fun" -- which to me always took away from his sound

still, maybe it is better than the
NIGHTMARES
the band of 14 year old hicks from the devil and daniel johnston

i think everyone really enjoyed the show,
his voice was great, and there was some really beautiful moments

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2007 2:47 AM

I saw him in Cleveland on Saturday. It was a really great show, but he only played 9 songs. That was kind of disappointing. Still great though. He told his dream anecdote here as well.

I'm jealous you got to hear "True Love Will Find You In the End."

Posted by Drew | May 16, 2007 3:30 AM

I am wondering why the press has not yet printed the fact that Daniel is apparently the first pregnant man. I am wondering when the baby is due and who is the mother?

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2007 3:46 AM

amazing show... he, in fact, played 2 full sets & had 2 encores (nearly a third)... the whole show was 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 hrs long.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2007 7:34 AM

say what you will - but that man can wear the hell out of some purple sweats.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2007 8:31 AM

i have an extra for tonight if anyone is looking - e-mail me - 25$

Posted by c | May 16, 2007 9:37 AM

He did the same "joke" in Cincy, I have loads of photos as well....

Posted by Joe | May 16, 2007 9:44 AM

did he sing the mountain dew jingle?

Posted by jonathan | May 16, 2007 10:06 AM

Posted by brassbonanza | May 16, 2007 10:16 AM

Hey, why isn't anyone calling Danny Boy an out of shape fat-ass? I mean, Ditto was right?

Posted by hedgehog | May 16, 2007 11:04 AM

I believe his weight is affected by his medicine, I think the documentary talked about it. But man what a performer and so charming on stage.

It was a wonderful show and he did perform over an 1.5 hours. Looking through his songs on my computer, the list isn't complete and it's over 200 - and yet each song is as catchy and memorable as the next.

So glad I went.

Posted by John | May 16, 2007 11:15 AM

It was a really fun and beautiful show. Daniel was really personable and funny and I was really happy to see him so excited to play music for the crowd. He played some real classics: walking the cow, speeding motorcycle, true love will find you in the end, and (my favorite of the night) Grievances!!! I can;t believe we got the first song off of his first tape, it was truely a special moment. I am looking forward to see him tonight at Highline, which should also be really fun.

And Did anyone catch Daniel getting food after the show? He looked really nervous, but was very appericiative when my friend gave him a hand shanke.

Posted by Bernie | May 16, 2007 11:31 AM

Was the venue full?

Posted by Dave | May 16, 2007 12:54 PM

I liked Daniel better when he was by himself (first 3 songs) and with his friend on acoustic guitar (next 3). But the band!? Please, it was like parading around a homeless guy singing with a kareoke back up band. The slower, gentler songs were fine, but the "rock" songs were limp.
He's really lost his voice later (Casper), but early on, when he was shaking through the whole thing like a locomotive on those first tracks...whoah-really touching.
Great songwriter, but face it, it has more to do with his legend at this point. His life (and movie) is amazing. He's a really nice guy now and it's good to see him out.

Posted by Bodega Noriega | May 16, 2007 1:38 PM

Yea the backup band was a bit much. I did appreciate the keyboards because so many of his songs have piano but the electric guitars and that drummer was just too much for me.

I think Daniel just likes to ROCK and if he's happy, I'm happy. happy to see a legend.

Posted by Tony | May 16, 2007 2:31 PM

these people are wacked out... the band was great. It was a real treat for him to do such a diverse couple of sets...

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2007 3:06 PM

Daniel is truly haunted... he can see ghosts!

Posted by Beeeeve | May 16, 2007 4:58 PM

I hate to be a dick, because I love DJ, but I'm still wtf-ing the supposedly Nazi-ish comments we heard about from, I think, sxsw.

nothing like that here in nyc?

maybe those were conceived in an artistic mindframe... saying something like racism the only true taboo thing that needs to be broken down or was it really just good ol' fucking hatred?

this is really sort of stupid, considering we're talking about a schizophrenic (my mother was one btw). but needs asking methinks..........

Posted by one of them | May 16, 2007 9:30 PM

i was going to go to this show but thought..."he definitely wont show up"

Posted by alyssa | May 16, 2007 10:32 PM

The Nazi comments were totally disgusting, but considering he's schitzophrenic I'm willing to cut the guy some slack. Seems like many people with mental problems gravitate to the Nazi/anti-Jew thing. I consider it a symptom of his condition and it doesn't affect my opinion of his music, or even him as a person really. That said, if kept making comments in public like that then he should know that if he keeps it up his fans will turn away from him. He needs to try to keep stuff like that to himself.

Posted by Lee | May 17, 2007 1:00 AM

does anyone know the set list from the show at warsaw?

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 5:17 AM

the "nazi comment" was a joke that just got taken the wrong way. he didnt mean what he said. your the type of person who is turning it into something way more than it was. everyone tells a joke that they shouldnt and he did and thats all it was, a joke. he is one of the nicest and kindest people and he did not mean what he said. also i don't think his fans will ever turn on him, he is one of the greatest song writers of all time. i mean ike beat tina and people still like his music...common.

Posted by diggins | May 17, 2007 9:51 AM

Last night's show at the Highline was really great. I've never had the chance to see Daniel before, despite listening to him for over a decade. It was great to see him doing so well.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 10:40 AM

One other thing regarding The Warsaw show in relation to the Nazi thing - He addressed it: He said that he used to have two jokes, but now he only had one because the last one got a lot of bad press, and also that his dad called him after and yelled at him that he can't do that. I think that it's a great sign in terms of his current mental health / the drugs they have him on, because he was able to understand that there was something "wrong" with the joke, and that he shouldn't do it again. Way to go Daniel!

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 11:03 AM

I think Daniel Johnston deserves a lot of accolades for just getting up there and performing, especially for 1.5 hours. It seems as if performing and creating music is the only thing that soothes him and the only thing that keeps him real, focused and motivated to attempt to have a life.

The comments about his personal appearance are absolutely disgusting and I would really love to pick apart the appearance of whoever made them. Get a life, go pick on someone who deserves it. I bet you're some hipster d-bag that I would cut right through in a minute. How shallow are you?

Go Daniel Johnston!!!!!

Posted by alexis miller | May 17, 2007 2:04 PM

I was on the will call line outside of Warsaw and heard someone shout to the guy working the door that "you need to get a case of Mountain Dew up to the dressing room right now...it's not there...and some assorted beers." Thought that was funny given Daniel's documented love for the Dew. I thought Daniel's performance was inspiring. He was funny. At one point he said "Let me introduce the band..." He then made a few hand gestures towards them...seemed like he didnt know their names. I thought the encore where he wished us all good luck in finding "True Love" was a fitting ending. Of course, we wanted more than that and were serenated with "Devil Town" for the second encore. Sometimes with love what you get in the end is Devil Town. I saw Daniel immediately after the show with a plate of kielbasa looking all over the place for the dressing room. Reminded of me of "Hello Cleveland!" but with polish sausage instead of armadillos in the trousers.

Posted by Chris | May 17, 2007 5:22 PM

I saw the show and to me it was like a breeze that blew through my head. I was in the front row, and I just couldn't believe I was watching this guy, a man who exudes creativity. I loved it. My memory is so poor that if I could watch a video of the show it would be a replay of the joy I experienced.

Yes i know it sounds insane and fanatical, but I guess i just feel lucky to have seen this show.

The Custard Kings, backing musicians led by the master, Joe McGinty (Check out Loserslounge.com for more info)... well... they are a great band. But, it WAS a little heavy-handed at times, and the most inspiring stuff came from the beginning with his friend (Dale?). Still, they did a nice job, and you could see they loved their 'moment'.

I feel blessed to have seen a dynamic show by Daniel Johnston. It was just great.

The audience was ga-ga for it all, and I really appreciated that too.

Posted by kevin | May 19, 2007 1:32 PM