Posted in MP3 | music on May 10, 2007

DOWNLOAD: David Bowie - It's Hard To Be a Saint in the City (Springsteen) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: The Last Town Chorus - Modern Love (Bowie cover) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: David Bowie - Cat People (putting out fire) (MP3)

Arcade Fire @ Radio City Music Hall, NYC - May 9, 2007 (CRED)
Arcade Fire @ Radio City

I thought David Bowie would at least introduce Arcade Fire, or say something to kick off the "festival", but nope. He was there though - I saw him. He was wearing a gray suit, and looked happy & healthy - sort of like how he looked two nights earlier at the Met........

Iman & David Bowie @ The Met, NYC - May 7, 2007
Bowie & Iman

He came out the backstage door into the orchestra area at some point. For the encore at least - he was standing against the same wall (stage left) that the trumpet player (Kelly Pratt) (also in Beirut) ran along to do this....

Arcade Fire @ Radio City Music Hall, NYC - May 9, 2007 (CRED)
Arcade Fire @ Radio City

Arcade Fire were great, but it sounds like maybe United Palace was more fun. At Radio City there was lots of fighting (literally) between the crowd and security. A bunch of people got dragged out. The security didn't know what to do when Win encouraged people to dance in the aisles.

If Bowie had played with them, it would have looked something like THIS and THIS. Was David Byrne there? I didn't see him, but someone told me they did see Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson.

Lou Reed & Bowie @ Syracuse W Hotel - Apr 26, 2007 (INFO)
Lou Reed & David Bowie

I missed the National - not on purpose.

And just in case you were wondering, Zach Condon from Beirut was there too - it would have been the only one of the three shows he would have been able to make. Actually, they were ALL probably there - the whole indie trumpet player mafia.

----

I believe there are still tickets available for the Air, TV on the Radio, Kate Havnevick show tonight (the 2nd High Line Festival show).

Beirut is back for three shows in September. Tonight Arcade Fire hit Boston.

Radio City setlist below....

Setlist:
Keep the Car Running
No Cars Go
Haiti
Black Mirror
Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
In The Backseat
My Body is a Cage
The Well And The Lighthouse
Ocean of Noise
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
(Antichrist Television Blues)
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Rebellion (Lies)
--Encore--
Intervention
Wake Up

Arcade Fire @ Radio City Music Hall, NYC - May 9, 2007 (CRED)
Arcade Fire @ Radio City

WHAT ABOUT THE BLONDE REDHEAD SHOW>>>>>>>

AMONGST ALL THE OTHERS THIS WEEK>>>>>>>

SURELY ONE OVERLOOKED, BUT THEY SOUNDED AMAZING and
PLAYED TWO ONCORES>>>>>>

SO MUCH ENERGY BETWEEN THE THREE.....to bad so many other good shows the same days!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 7:36 AM

RE: The Setlist

Did they play Black Wave/Bad Vibrations? I don't remember this for some reason...

Neighborhood #3/Rebellion back to back was nuts.

I agree with the aforementioned comments - security was so fucking ridiculous at the show - I saw a bunch of people get reprimanded and kicked out for various things. It's a fucking Arcade Fire show, not Slayer - give me a break.

That being said yes, Win kept telling everyone to crowd closer to the stage but honestly, if you want people to be standing at your concert, you should choose a different venue, like perhaps Theatre at MSG with GA Standing or something...

It was good, but I'm really not down with a couple of the slower songs they regularly play, like "Ocean of Noise," "In the Backseat," and "My Body Is A Cage." Don't get me wrong, they're quality songs, but instead of those you can easily rep some of their better material like "Crown of Love," "Une Annee Sans Lumiere," etc.

Or maybe even a Bowie cover, or their infamous "Guns of Brixton" cover? Why does London always get feted with this shit and we NYers are regularly treated to skimpier, unimaginative set lists?

A bit disappointing that Bowie didn't make an appearance onstage, especially considering he was in attendance. With all the hype surrounding the Radio City show, it looks like the 2nd United Palace one took the cake.

Posted by MARLOW | May 10, 2007 8:06 AM

I'm pressing charges against the RCMH security guard who threatened to punch me in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 8:06 AM

Good luck with a lawsuit for a security guard threatening to punch you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 8:15 AM

I hope all your hipsters are satisfied now. I hope they are gone for a while, so much fuss about one band is never good.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 8:28 AM

blonde redhead was FANTASTIC.

Last night was a very enjoyable show. That was the third time I have seen them over the passed three years and it was really nice to see them share such a large stage with such large sound. They seemed to be having a great time. As did I. Thanks AF!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 8:46 AM

marlow - ure right. no black wave/bad vibrations, wonder why.

Posted by matt | May 10, 2007 8:48 AM

United Palace had nothing on this show. I saw AF on Saturday in PA; excellent crowd, excellent show. Then Tuesday night was great but the crowd was totally lame until the end. The UP security totally beat people up just like they did at Radio City and just like they did at the Iggy Pop show. The only difference is people expect it because they are bum-rushing the stage for gods sake. I don't blame Radio City security. But to say the show last night was not as good as United Palace is totally wrong. I had Row V seats in the ORCH, meaning the second to last row, under the cover of the mezzanine. While the televangelist was playing at the beginning of the set, I grabbed my brother and proceeded to walk right to the stage. No one bothered me. Completely amazing show. They bring the same energy to EVERY SHOW. But last night as far as I could tell the crowd was way more into it than Tuesday night. Props to the PA fans on Saturday too for bringin it.

Posted by Will | May 10, 2007 8:50 AM

I resent the implication that only hipsters like Arcade Fire. I am a total yuppie and I loved both shows (Tues and Wed).

My "celebrity" sightings:

Tuesday - some dudes from Grizzly Bear (who didn't seem all that pleased to be getting the "you're awesome, dude" treatment in the men's room before the show.

Wednesday - Aziz Ansari, the hilarious comedian who is wicked short in person.

Posted by GMoney | May 10, 2007 8:50 AM

Setlist for Radio City (Wednesday):

Keep the Car Running
No Cars Go
Haiti
Black Mirror
Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
In The Backseat
My Body is a Cage
The Well And The Lighthouse
Ocean of Noise
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
(Antichrist Television Blues)
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Rebellion (Lies)
--Encore--
Intervention
Wake Up

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 9:07 AM

I agree with the statement that the set list was not as good as it could have been. Too many slow songs and a lot of them from the new album, which is not as intense. Also, the sound at RCMH wasn't that great. Not the best venue for this kind of concert in my opinion. I was disappointed D. Bowie didn't get up on stage.

The National guys were great though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 9:10 AM

The show last night at Radio City was incredible. I was in the top mezzanine and still it was so immediate and cathartic. I really felt the energy from the crowd all around -- everyone was really into it, dancing and having a great time.

Also, "hipsters" don't just like Arcade Fire. Also, who cares if they do? They are a great band, really positive and life-affirming, and if you don't like them or at least respect them, maybe you're one of Franny Glass's little "tearer-downers."

Posted by Hunter Slaton | May 10, 2007 9:13 AM

I was down in the front, and I have to say, both the crowd and the security were acting downright scary and it was a bit distrtracing from the band (though the show was great otherwise). Someone (don't know if was security or an audience member) kicked me hard in the back (by accident, not on purpose) and I feared being trampled to death. Also there was a guy in a wheelchair near me - NOT COOL for people to push and shove and nearly knock the guy out of his chair. Win, I love ya, but telling thousands of people to push their way up front all at once was not your best idea!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 9:37 AM

Last night's show was terrific and the crowd went crazy. The militant security was a major buzzkill, though. Arcade Fire need to re-think their venue selection next time around.

Speaking of venues, during the entire RCMH show, I couldn't help but think back to their Irving Plaza show in Feb 2005 when David Byrne joined them for the encore. I was right up front for that show, which is a completely different experience than just being somewhere in the audience.

I really enjoyed the slow songs, especially "In the Backseat", which killed. Why do people expect to be dancing the entire time? AF have slow songs in their catalogue that also deserve attention and sound excellent live.

Finally, the National also played an excellent set.

Posted by Dan | May 10, 2007 9:43 AM

I don't know what you people were thinking trying to pull that crap at RCMH, no matter what Win Butler told you to do. Do that in a place like that and you are taking your life in your hands. I don't even set foot in places like that anymore no matter who is playing. Of course security is going to react that way at a major large-size venue like that, they are mandated to do so. And yes, I DEFINITELY categorize Radio City as large-size, not medium-size, it's more like a stadium or arena than a Bowery or Webster or even Beacon-type place.

What was a pleasure to experience in Philly sounds like it was a nightmare at the NY venues; while I was immensely impressed with Win's decision to call everyone forward at Tower Theater, I now think he needs to use some judgement based on the situation. RCMH is not the place for it, you don't have to be a genius to figure that out. With all due respect to AF, of course...

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 10:00 AM

I was in the 11th row and have no idea what all these comments are about the crowd being so wild. Not sure how I missed that. Overall, I thought the show was good musically, but a bit underwhelming.

Posted by CN | May 10, 2007 10:05 AM

I'm not sure why some people are knocking the setlist. I thought it was fucking fantastic. Backseat live was amazing. Regine's voice was stunning. This was my third Arcade Fire show and by far my most favorite (minus the shitty security guards). I loved the crowd--they were so engaged and into it! And don't forget when everyone sang the main melodic line of "Wake Up" together--such an amazing moment.

Can't wait for them to come back.

Posted by My Headphones Y'all | May 10, 2007 10:14 AM

underwhelming is a good word for it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 10:16 AM

I was in the 2nd Mezz. From there I could see that the along my side (right of stage). Security guards had put up a rope or barrier like 25 rows deep, so kids couldnt who were higher couldnt get to the stage down the aisles. I then watched those same kids cut down a row to the next aisle, get a row lower guard and come back down the original aisle to get to the stage. (i prolly made that sound way more complicated than it was.)

The National was fucking awesome. I left for a bit though during their set to get a beer and when I got back the lead singer was hobbling around? Then I couldnt remember if he had been doing that when they took the stage. I was pretty sure he came out fine, and I assume he injured himself during the set. Either way by toward the end of the set he was on a stool, or using the mic stand as a cane. What had happened while I was getting my $7 budweiser?

as for arcade fire, it was my first time seeing them, and I was pretty blown away. Seems like everything else was covered regarding Bowie and the rest of the night.

Posted by Stephen | May 10, 2007 10:19 AM

I was in the second mezzanine, and I have to say: Best concert of my life! Amazing energy both onstage and in the audience. I've never seen an audience so excited and moved. Lots of dancing. Loads of singing from the whole place. Great setlist. It was wonderful to hear all my favorite stuff off of Funeral, which was practically the whole album. I'm not too crazy about Neon Bible, but some of it completely turned me around live.

Posted by Gorbert | May 10, 2007 10:19 AM

yeah we all tried to make our way up front. at one point a kid next to me was saying "stand your ground". because the secruity was using brut force to get us out of the aisle. i would of rushed the stage, but could'nt risk getting thrown out like at The Stooges. very funny when Win came out for the encore and said "okay you can't dance in the aisle, i've been a bad boy." what a stellar band, wish i went to judson now.

Posted by georgia | May 10, 2007 10:20 AM

yeah we all tried to make our way up front. at one point a kid next to me was saying "stand your ground!". because the secruity was using brut force to get us out of the aisle. i would of rushed the stage, but could'nt risk getting thrown out like at The Stooges. very funny when Win came out for the encore and said "okay you can't dance in the aisle, i've been a bad boy." what a stellar band, wish i went to judson now.

Posted by georgia | May 10, 2007 10:20 AM

First time seeing AF last night...I thought the show was absolutely amazing. The energy in the room -- both on stage and in the crowd -- was just breathtaking. I (literally) had the chills for 75% of their set.

Having never seen them before (and not knowing their catalog like the back of my hand), I'm not hardcore enough to get nit-picky about last night's performance or setlist relative to other shows...but God damn...that was a f'ing great concert!!

Posted by Drugs Delaney | May 10, 2007 10:23 AM

Anyone have the National setlist from last night?
Lead singer of the National had a sprained ankle from Tuesday's show - that's why he looked like he was falling over drunk on stage. National was pretty amazing. They were hanging out right behind the ORCH after the show and I got to talk to Matt. Really nice guy, looked like he was in pain.
AF's energy was amazing. The security situation was ridiculous. Can't really blame them and I think it's a little ridiculous of Win to encourage his fans to rush security when all that gets them it a forceful push out the door.
Awesome show though! Highlights for me were The NAtional's Mr. November, AF's Keep The Car Running, Tunnels, Power Out, and of course the encore!

Posted by anon | May 10, 2007 10:25 AM

what a boring show from a hugely overrated band. it only picked up about 2/3 of the way thru and even then it was mediocre. win is an dumbass; he was more preoccupied with breaking the rules and having people dance in the aisles than actually putting on a good show. some advice to their manager -- don't book venues with seats if you want a GA floor. when you repeatedly implore the crowd to dance in the aisles, it all sounds a bit desperate... i wound up spending more time listening to fights between drunk douchetards and security guards than i did actually getting to hear the band. fucking waste.

Posted by osofsky | May 10, 2007 10:29 AM

The National's set list:
Secret Meeting
Slow Show
Mistaken For Strangers
Abel
Start A War
Apartment Story
Squalor Victory
Fake Empire
Mr. November
About Today

Posted by kathryn | May 10, 2007 10:41 AM

@ osofsky: douchetards indeed. hope you got to see them at judson or somewhere they could shine as to not be such a letdown (and overrun by the aforementioned) as they can put on an incredible show in the right place at the right moment.

@ gmoney: if you're not being ironic, people are cutting themselves in front of their computers right now.

@ bv: indie trumpet player mafia represent. i'm thinking about buying my own horn and getting final fantasy to jump me in.

Posted by fek | May 10, 2007 10:41 AM

"some advice to their manager -- don't book venues with seats if you want a GA floor."

Didn't they get invited to this concert by David Bowie? Would you really turn down David Bowie if he asked your band to play? I'm not privy to the details but I would assume AF's manager didn't have input on the venue.

Posted by will | May 10, 2007 10:44 AM

Does anyone enjoy shows they pay for anymore? Why do u negative assholes even go to shows? To quote Lisa Simpson, "Why would they come to boo us?"

Posted by abe | May 10, 2007 11:02 AM

Guys
Don't forget AF is a very young band and it is a big honor for them to be chosen to play the RCMH by DB.

Posted by dedalus | May 10, 2007 11:02 AM

i was terribly frightened that i might be swished or arrhythmically clapped to death by the middle age-man next to me wearing khakis and architect glasses.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 11:03 AM

am i the only person who doesnt get The National? I just wasnt feeling it from them when i saw the Monday Night show. The lead singer was a twat and had his back to the audience the whole time. how the fuck did they sell out all those bowery shows?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 11:04 AM

I had a blast last night: singing, dancing, grinning, pumping fists, kissing my girlfriend, doing the "woo-woos" between the last song and the encore... Yes, there were some things that could have been better, but it was my first-ever Arcade Fire show and I loved it all.

Full review and (redundant) set list:

Posted by Scoboco | May 10, 2007 11:06 AM

my seat was 2nd row pit, on the right side, and i had the isle seat. safe to say RCMH has absolutely the worst security of any venue in NYC. by worst i mean belligerent, power-drunk assholes who "play it by the book". I went to String Cheese / Bob Weir there last year and they were ejecting people for throwing lightsticks! One security muscle man came up to me and said you throw another stick and you are ejected. the reason i got picked out is i was closest to this guy and i was on the aisle.

Yesterday- one guy came up on the left isle to the stage i think three guards tackled this guy and i saw him get put in a head lock. if you were in the pit the guard were making us stay in the seats, some guy on the isle opposite of me wanted to walk up to the stage and the security was waving him off go back to your seat. and it looked like they could have filled a lot more people in that pit area. it was ridiculous. one guy wanted to know the name of chief of security and that he would make sure this would get in the press and they were like take a hike, "head of security?- fuck you!"

thats how it was. they ruin the experience for the people. Beacon Theater, or even United Theater, much better experience in similar size venue.

Posted by george | May 10, 2007 11:06 AM

@will: give me a break. you think david bowie had all the arrangements made when he invited AF to play? managers still book gigs, even if they're part of a festival. you make it sound like bowie personally invited them to play at the family barbecue. no manager will sit idly by and not consider room capacity, ticket prices, security concerns, etc. just because their band got a "personal invite" from david bowie. win needs to come to terms with the fact that his band is essentially arena rock at this point. you want people dancing down front? book a venue with a GA floor. they can slap the "highline festival" name to the show wherever they stage it. theater at MSG might've been a better choice -- the 100's section all converts to GA.

Posted by osofsky | May 10, 2007 11:12 AM

i agree with you abe. honestly, i feel bad for anyone who didn't get a huge kick out of last's nights show-your threshold for amazing must be so high that you'll likely never be happy. personally, im glad shows like that still give me a huge thrill.
i think the national is one of those bands you either love or hate, b/c of the lead singer's distinctive voice and self-deprecating style. personally i love them but i can understand how others could not. i have to say though, when i met matt he was really laidback, nice, and appreciative, actually pretty self-deprecating in person. hard not to like that in a person.

Posted by anon | May 10, 2007 11:24 AM

Great show. Period. In fact, their best in NY since their first Bowery show. Even if you hate their music, you have to appreciate their joyful abandon. They play like a band of the condemned, putting every last thing they have into each and every show. It's overwhelming. I was in the middle of the orchestra on the aisle, and agree that the security/crowd situation was fairly insane half-way through the set. But if there isn't a little rebellion from a crowd and subsequent push back from security, it's not rock n' roll, is it? At the end of the show, security did give up their fight, and the crowd was packed into the aisles, singing along, jumping up and down, and creating general mayhem. This was no pack of hipsters. It was a genuine mix of people. And despite the uncomfortable conditions at points, the jostling, pushing, yelling, everyone in that crowd was, for lack of a better word, united and frankly, nice. Highlight of the evening was definitely Rebellion (Lies) with Win riding the crowd as he sang. Also Will earlier in the set stage diving and crowd surfing. Somehow neither gesture seemed posed. How could they when performed by a bunch of band geeks living a rock star dream, wondering exactly how they got to Radio City.

Posted by Jackson | May 10, 2007 11:33 AM

Jackson: spot-on assessment, man. Couldn't've said it better myself. The joy and catharsis even in that huge (and gorgeous) space was undeniable.

Posted by Hunter Slaton | May 10, 2007 11:37 AM

>>>I went to String Cheese / Bob Weir there last year and they were ejecting people for throwing lightsticks! One security muscle man came up to me and said you throw another stick and you are ejected. <<<

Why would someone throw anything at a concert ? Its not a sporting event

also...agents actually bookg gigs not managers & playing RCMH is rarely an opportunity bands can pass up..
Arcade Fire are stilll a young band & maybe Win turns up the "fight the man" attitude as they get more popular but really all it takes is for the bands tour manager to have a conversation with the head of security before the show discussing what to expect if fans get into the aisles & the band should be told beforehand & adjust accordingly. Either Win wasnt informed or he just chose to ignore the advice, either way...while I'm sure security overeacted there should be some responsibility to the bands & fans to mantain order...no ?

Posted by Archie | May 10, 2007 11:42 AM

i posted some videos, including "wake up." a little bumpy cos i was on the aisle so jostled quite a bit especially during the mad ending, but the sound came out ok on my rinky dink camera.

fun run!

Posted by Qbertplaya | May 10, 2007 11:50 AM

i was wondering what happened to Matt. Thanks! I thought both bands were great. The only way you go to that show and not enjoy it, if you just don't like that kind of music. There was so much energy from both the band and the crowd, i can't see how you could not get swept up in it. my review and a couple of pics here: http://hearsay.alphaquam.com/2007/05/10/arcade-fire-w-the-national-radio-city-music-hall/

Posted by zoviet | May 10, 2007 11:50 AM

Arcade Fire should be opening up for The National

Posted by Steve-O | May 10, 2007 12:01 PM

"Arcade Fire should be opening up for The National"

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 12:11 PM

Why would anyone throw anything at a concert?

Clearly (and unfortunately) you never experienced a Harry Hood Glowstick War.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | May 10, 2007 12:22 PM

Well i went to both last night's show and Tuesday's United Palace and that poster above "Will" saying last nights was better is complete nonsense. Cmon now dude. I was right down in front for both shows and you cannot even compare them. Security sucked last night which was to be expected. Crowd was ok. Security at United Palace was fine. Actually they were pretty nice. The female security guard down front actually kept moving out of the way so people could take pictures without her obstructing them. Crowd was so into it Tuesday. Band energy was great. Sound was WAY WAY better than at RCMH and let's not even discuss getting on stage at the end. United Palace Tuesday was the best of the three by far. Don't be hating just cause you went to RCMH thinking Bowie would play with them. RCMH is one of the worst places to see a concert.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 12:49 PM

Clearly (and unfortunately) you never experienced a Harry Hood pre-glowsticks.

me, i like to close my eyes and get down low.

Posted by youcanfeelgood | May 10, 2007 1:00 PM

I was up in the third mezz stage left and you could of had sex and murdered someone up there without security knowing about it. People were blazing up all around us. And from looking around the venue it seemed like the place to be because there were a ton of people dancing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 1:44 PM

I was digging the improvised glowstick war last night. Last night was pretty breathtaking, especially from the balcony which gave you a nice perspective of the venue and impeccable sound (first time at RCMH for me). One of the best sets I've seen in awhile; up there with that Vegas run of '02 (Life On Mars?! and a damn fine Hood).

If you people haven't noticed, Arcade Fire are setting themselves up to be the house band of the revolution. If you think RCMH security is bad, wait till you're fighting fully armed police with the Napoleon Dynamite dude banging on his drums. Of course the haters will be sitting at home snitching on everybody and talking about how overrated popular uprising is. Psh.

Posted by Harry Balls | May 10, 2007 1:45 PM

Osofsky-
AF's manager: "Listen Mr. Bowie, the band would love to play your festival, but there's absolutely no way they'll play Radio City Music Hall. So either change the venue of the fesitival, or they're out."

You really think this could have been a logical scenario? I agree, they didn't get invited to play Bowie's barbecue, they got invited to play his festival at Radio City Music Hall with a bunch of other bands. Managers don't decide the location of festivals, they decide with the band whether or not to play them. If Bowie asks, it's a no brainer.

Posted by will | May 10, 2007 1:58 PM

HA indie trumpet mafia, that's hysterical! radio city is so fucking lame... i'm so so happy arcade fire didn't do all three of their shows there. was anyone at that ben folds concert where they came onstage at 11 pm in the middle of "not the same" and told him he had to leave? fuck that! those people are ridiculous!

Posted by Leemore | May 10, 2007 2:04 PM

does anyone know what spoon album was playing during the break between the national and the arcade fire? i couldnt recongnize it, though i'm not too familiar with their really early stuff. was it the new album?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 3:26 PM

ha i thought the security at UP on tuesday was bad....RCMH sounds like a nightmare. i got sent back to my seat from up front in the aisle like 3 times before i gave up.....location wasnt bad...row OO(14) aisle seats so i was good until the end where i could make it up(and eventually rush the stage)
but security was being lame about it....the guys pushing people off the stage were jackasses....people could have gotten really hurt

Posted by joe | May 10, 2007 3:34 PM

I thought security at UPT on Tuesday were assholes (I mean, they're security guards - what did you expect), but they could have been worse. They tried to get people back in their seats, but were not violent about it from what I could see anyway. Just doing what they were told, no doubt.

Once Wake Up started, they just kind of gave up and concentrated on making sure nobody fell off the stage.

On a related note: it was an amazing show. They can sometimes veer into U2 territory, but in a good way.

Posted by Chris | May 10, 2007 4:12 PM

FACT:

70% of security guards listen to DISTURBED before shows to get themselves "all pumped up."

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 5:12 PM

UM, he ALWAYS looks like he is falling over drunk on stage - even when he isn't drunk. and for that reason, i have a hard time believing that this time it was due to "a sprained ankle from Tuesday's show".

Anonymous @ 11:04 - you aren't the only person who doesn't get the national. ive tried & ive tried & i've even seen them but still couldn't care less about them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 5:38 PM

The whole "only hipsters are into them" crap is ridiculous. I am into hardcore, punk, metal, grind...etc. and I was there. Who gives a shit about labels. Just like good music, who cares what others listen to.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2007 7:51 PM

"They can sometimes veer into U2 territory, but in a good way."

When I'm at shows I like to observe the crowd before it starts to see what kinds of people show up for the particular band I'm about to see, and sometimes it can be really suprising who shares my music taste. But that's really just a curiosity. It really has no bearing on my relationship to the music.

I do think it's fair to criticize Win for inviting people in the aisles. They are the ones that made a decision to play lots of theaters (Win has said that clubs make them feel like travelling beer salespeople) The trade-off, though, is obviously that you can't have everyone pressed up by the stage like a regular show. Advantages/Disadvantages: they can't have it both ways.

Posted by Lee | May 11, 2007 2:09 AM

"They can sometimes veer into U2 territory, but in a good way."

"Indeed. And I didn't think there WAS a good way to veer into U2, but AF prove there is."

Not just in terms of onstage theatrics and breaking down of the Third Wall, but also in sound: you don't think AF opened for U2 merely for attention, do you?

Their common bond was apparent when they performed Love Will Tear Us Apart, in Montreal.

At the middle of the day, it may be all about the The Edge; at beginning and end of the day, though, it's all about Tom Verlaine.

Posted by rnrrenegade | May 11, 2007 6:39 AM

what's the name of the shorter violin player in the arcade fire?

Posted by kimani | May 12, 2007 8:37 AM

David Bowie is a great artist of all the times. It's a pity that he intends to terminate his carrier as a vocalist.

Posted by Todd | June 28, 2010 8:46 AM

I still cannot understand why David Bowie didn't play with Arcade Fire.

Posted by Roy Rodrigues | November 1, 2010 8:41 AM