Posted in comedy | music on May 20, 2007

I didn't go, but someone told me that (unlike at the Arcade Fire show) David Bowie introduced comedian Ricky Gervais at his High Line show Saturday night at the whamu theater by singing a song. I don't have a picture, so instead - here are some pictures taken by caural of David and TV on the Radio (and Ricky?) backstage at Deerhoof's High Line show at the Fillmore-Irving Plaza Thursday night (May 17, 2007)....

David Bowie, TVOTR, and Deerhoof

David Bowie, TVOTR, and Deerhoof

he was present at secret machines, sitting on the balcony with a big smile, but did not perform. it seemed like there was a second encore on it's way, which might have included bowie, but then after about 10 minutes of darkness and pre-2nd-encore stuff some stagehands started gesturing to the lights and sounds people that it wasn't happening. people chanted "bowie!bowie!" when they spotted him on the balcony after encore 1.

also...they serve wine in plastic wineglasses at Highline. Not plastic cup, actual plastic wineglasses. Re-usable ones.

Posted by wes | May 20, 2007 2:40 AM

bowie came out in a tux.. sang that chubby little fat man song from extras (encouraging a bit of audience sing along towards the end)and then gestured to the wings for ricky to emerge.
ricky came out from the opposite side of the stage, and the penis jokes began...8:15 to 9:30..crisp sound...relaxed...a few hecklers (best ricky response-theres too many other people here for me to talk to you one on one right now..but you know what, even if we were at a small gathering, i wouldnt speak to you)...he's not quite as funny when you can't see his pudgy cheeks...good show, not great...for $60.

Posted by zeke | May 20, 2007 10:31 AM

The Wamu is not a place for stand up. I was sitting in the last row of the 205 section and the ushers ruined the first 30 minutes of the hour long show. They used their "rock show" level voices to instruct people to their seats completely drowning out Gervais.

The show started promptly at 8 which caught probably 25% of the crowd outside. There were repeated attempts to quiet them down from several people (one usher said "just ignore them" in response while a woman being seated snapped "welcome to New York" to the guy sitting next to me even though she came in 30 minutes late!).

Posted by John | May 20, 2007 10:46 AM

deerhoof was so good

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 11:46 AM

On the topic of the Deerhoof show...

The 'Hoof was great, but Dirty Projectors totally stole the show. Best band on earth right now, pretty much.

Posted by Dylan | May 20, 2007 12:02 PM

deerhoof was amazing, bowie was sitting in the restricted balcony area during the show (he wasn't there for the two openers), dirty projectors were boring but stillman's horses were good

Posted by hey | May 20, 2007 12:32 PM

Bowie singing the chubby little fat man ditty to introduce Ricky was just fantastic. Tough shit to all those people who thought they'd be "fashionably late" like it was a rock concert or whatever and missed the whole set. We had 4 or 5 people show up during the encore.

Not sure if the "and the penis jokes began" is trying to frame this show as juvenile? disappointing? Whatever, I thought it was a hilarious set, we were laughing just about the whole time. I thought it was indeed great. There seemed to be quite a few easily offended people in the crowd.

Loved when dude in the front yawned like a bear... "oh, AIDS, boring, get on with it". Hilarious.

Posted by Brian | May 20, 2007 12:32 PM

Ricky Gervais was very dissapointing.

For 60 dollars, myself and ALOT of other people felt very ripped off. The first half of his set was performed to a room that wasn't even three quarters full and by the time everyone was in the seats he was leaving the stage from the act most of us had already seen.

For someone as smart as he is at adapting to the modern concerns of his audience, he made alot of dumb decisions with his introduction to america as a stand up.

Posted by Snooze! | May 20, 2007 2:17 PM

I agree, I saw RIcky at Tribeca the other night and there was nothing really new. It is all the same act i have heard on the latest boots and on YouTube. I love him mind you but i was hoping to hear some new material.
On another note, please people stop with the Bowie sightings posts. Who gives a rat's ass if he is sitting in the balcony or not. If you live in Manhattan and you go out more than once or twice a night I can guarentee you have seen him walking around or somewhere. Seriously though, why is this news that he is sitting in the same place you are or at the same show you are.
Finally, to the fool who posted that Dirty Projectors are the best band on the planet right now. Oh please go away you fucktard. I have to believe that was a joke cause if you are serious then you need to be euthanized.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 2:55 PM

In regards to the WaMu Theater, while I wasn't at Gervais, I was at Air, and as the previous commenter said: about 25% we outside when it started. This is because there's no notification of times in the bar area. If Broadway can do it, then so can any music venue. It's one thing at the Bowery Ballroom when you HEAR a band come on, but at the WaMu you're a corridor away, and it's all sound-proof so you have no idea if they've started or not.

At least dip the lights to signal 5 minutes or something. I'm sure all fans want to see the bands start, and I'm sure the bands want to walk out to a full house. It's a no-brainer.

Posted by hamish | May 20, 2007 3:02 PM

The tickets have show times. Don't be such a clueless retard

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 4:04 PM

I didn't catch the stand-up but I did go to the TimesTalk with Gervais and John Hodgman and it was great.

Posted by anon | May 20, 2007 4:22 PM

i mean, fat people jokes about how fat people eat too much?

yeah, in a nutshell ricky gervais was really original. oh, and by really original, i mean completely typical. sixty bucks! yes!

Posted by anon | May 20, 2007 4:36 PM

Boo fucking hoo. Seriously. Everyone I was with had a blast. Some of us who are big, big fans don't scour YouTube for anything and everything Gervais, especially before going to see him perform. Obviously, he's not going to do his "Fame" act that he's doing in Britain, as I'm sure the bulk of it wouldn't translate.

Sorry, if you didn't have a good time last night you should probably remove the stick from your ass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 5:07 PM

hamish--

they DID dip the lights 5 minutes before the show started.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 5:12 PM

"Some of us who are big, big fans don't scour YouTube for anything and everything Gervais, especially before going to see him perform"

I would say that this means you are not a big big fan. More like a big big imbicile

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 5:19 PM

comedians don't usually try new material at big shows like this - they tell the jokes they know work. Hearing a comedian's most popular jokes live is part of the fun - much like seeing a band who plays material off their albums.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 5:54 PM

If you want to compare ricky gervais to musical performances - it's most comparable to britney spears lip synching with choreography than it is a pop group doing thier hit.

My two cents.

Posted by babam | May 20, 2007 6:41 PM

I totally agree with Anon 5:54... these guys can't have too loose of a set for a show that big. And, to be fair, he did his fair share of crowd interaction... and there were quite a few ny jokes too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 7:28 PM

"For 60 dollars, myself and ALOT of other people felt very ripped off."

it was a charity event. he was snarky about pointing that out a few times at the community college show. for $30 it was funny and fine.

Posted by josef | May 20, 2007 8:50 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2007 9:08 PM

I love the fact that people are complaining that a show started on time....sheesh. Thank God the Mercury Lounge exists to keep them happy with late starts...

I thought Gervais was plenty funny, and the fact that we got a little acapella Bowie was a total bonus.

Other than its goofy new name, it's hard to complain about that room. There's nearly no bad seats in the house, great sightlines, decent sound. And yeah, shows usually start on time there.

Posted by Bob F. | May 20, 2007 10:58 PM

I was happy with the show, but I wish he WOULD have done his Fame act, or at least most of it. Maybe some people wouldn't get it, but I don't see why it shouldn't translate here. If Americans can "get" the Office and Extras, we should be with it enough to get a british stand up act. Now I'll just have to wait until the UK dvd comes out, i suppose.

Posted by melissa | May 20, 2007 11:49 PM

"I am a little disappointed at BV for not tipping us off on the NY Times John Hodgman/Ricky Gervais conversation at SUNY today....sold out of course"

Unfortunately, that was sold out for months. By the time I got the email about it, all the tickets were gone. And I only saw one pair of tickets on craigslist (which were sold by the time I emailed).

It's a little silly to be disappointed at BV for not posting about every single event in the tri-state area. Even sillier when it's unlikely more than 1% of his readership would have been able to get in anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2007 10:15 AM

"Snarky about it????.. If he has a problem doing "charity" events (of which only a portion went to the "high line charity" by the way) then don't do them and spare us all the hassle of having to be in our seats at 8pm sharp for an hours worth of recycled jokes for $80+ after ticketbastard fees. It was hot as hell in there as well.

In the future I guess I'll just find free downloads of his material on the net if he wants to screw his American fans over like that."

Cheers--you've just won the Biggest Whiner Award in regards to this thread.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2007 1:02 PM

"If your a big fan or someone who casually looked him up on youtube you'd already seen the ENTIRE act in the exact same order as it had already been done. Everything was phoned in, and staged in a calculated and boring way."

hey snooze -

how is that possible when gervais' show that night was a mix from all three of his one-man shows 'fame,' 'animals,' and 'politics'?

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 6:45 PM