Posted in MP3 | SXSW | music | pictures | tour dates on May 2, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Peter Bjorn & John live on MPR @ SXSW (MP3) (info)

Bjorn, backdrop, bass amp & bass drum @ Webster Hall - May 1, 2007 (CRED)
Peter Bjorn & John @ WEbster Hall

I'm embarrassed to admit that I saw Peter Bjorn and John for the sixth time (Union Hall, Mercury, Bowery, SXSW, SXSW, Webster Hall) last night (May 1, 2007). Last night was the first time I saw a full set since Bowery though. They were okay - it's always been pretty much the same set - this time they had a new set of jokes - seriously they integrate comedy into the show a lot. I wouldn't say they should stop playing it - I just need to stop seeing them.

The two times I saw them at SXSW were at an MPR radio taping (totally accidentally - I was walking by early in the morning on the way to my own day show and it was just about to start), and at the Pitchfork thing (didn't watch their whole set there though).

COOLEST THING THAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT: Au Revoir Simone opened, and then Heather from Au Revoir Simone came back to sing Victoria Bergsman's part in Young Folks

Heather
Au Revoir Simone

SECOND COOLEST THING: Fujiya & Miyagi opened. Actually that may have been the coolest/best/greatest thing. I love them - and they were definitely the deciding factor that got me to Webster Hall last night. They in turn, did not disappoint.

Fujiya & Miyagi

NOTE: Au Revoir Simone, Fujiya & Miyagi, and Peter Bjorn & John are all trios. Peter pointed that out.

All three bands do it again at Webster Hall tonight (May 2). Fujiya & Miyagi are playing a free show at South Street Seaport on July 6th. Au Revoir Simone are playing the Seaport on August 10th, AND playing Webster Hall again with Voxtrot.

More pictures and tour dates below....

Peter Bjorn and (not) John @ MPR (SXSW).....

Peter Bjorn & John

Jul 6 - tba Okayama
Jul 7 - Urbanguild Kyoto
Jul 8 - Social Kanazawa
Aug 10 - South Street Seaport, NYC w/ Metronomy

* w/ Peter Bjorn and John
+ w/ Voxtrot

Peter Bjorn and (not) John @ The Pitchfork party (SXSW).....

Peter Bjorn & John

Peter Bjorn & John

Peter Bjorn & John

Peter Bjorn & John

Webster Hall review @ Fresh Bread.

Previously
* PB&J posts
* Fujiya posts
* Au Revoir Simone posts

your embarrassment (pb+j) is perfectly hilarious.

Posted by rez | May 2, 2007 5:16 PM

Fujiya . . . Miyagi . . . Fujiya . . . Miyagi . . . Fujiya . . . Miyagi . . . I absolutely cannot get enough of them, but was disappointed by the crowd last night. I could not believe people were not grooving out to them. Their show at Mercury Lounge was much better.

Posted by josh | May 2, 2007 5:19 PM

That must have seen a fun show, but I've seen them all already. Looking forward to see F&M for free man.

Posted by Eduardo | May 2, 2007 5:24 PM

Josh, I grooved out. I was really disappointed with the first half of PB&J's set, though. All of their weaker material. From Young Folks on they played their stronger/faster songs, and it was good.

Posted by Benjamin | May 2, 2007 5:55 PM

anyone know what time fujiya and miyagi started their set last night?

Posted by BB | May 2, 2007 6:03 PM

YeahI saw Pb&j as well as F&M at mercury. No need to see these shows. No way could they come close to those shows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2007 6:41 PM

fujiya and miyagi started around 10...they played a nice long set....it was great. everything was great!

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2007 7:00 PM

I totally agree with Benjamin......their show got way better after young folks.....they asked if we were ready to rock out.....we were all like "YES! we are!!!"......

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2007 7:04 PM

the crowd last night sucked some serious ass. could barely hear the acoustic part of the set over the crowd chatter. props to peter for taking the reigns and dominating "up against the wall" to close it out. clearly a "fuck you" to the disrespectful crowd.

props to all the NYU students for leaving before the encore, made it much more enjoyable. they should seriously advertise a discount for NYU students and then turn them away at the door when they show up to use it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2007 10:49 PM

the show last night was extremely disappointing. the sound was terrible, the jokes awkward, and the set list laaaaaagged badly.

it kind of sucked, actually. yeah, the crowd got loud, but only because they PBJ were not compelling in any way.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2007 11:37 PM

i just got home from the wednesday night show. first of all, fujiya & miyagi were awesome. loved them. second, i think this was the WORST new york crowd at any show i've ever been to (and i go to a lot of shows). it didn't seem like anyone gave a shit about pb&j. half the crowd left after they played "young folks." obviously that's the only song of their's you've ever heard - why even bother?? because drew barrymore said she likes that song? i was trying to enjoy the set but really couldn't because the crowd was so effing lame. i admit, it wasn't the best live show i've seen lately - anyone that saw jarvis cocker last week can agree with me on that. but still, it didn't seem like anyone was halfway interested. the crowds here need to stop standing around waiting to be blown away by something amazing and just try to enjoy a night out seeing some good music. i mean, we're the luckiest bastards on earth - we get all the best shows coming through here - but no one can just enjoy themselves. lame.

Posted by chloe | May 3, 2007 12:35 AM

i just got back from the wednesday show aswell and i couldnt agree more.

Posted by ben | May 3, 2007 12:52 AM

^^^ not true at all about crowds. The crowds who went to see both of these bands at mercury were soooo into it and made both shows something special. Maybe you should try being up on music and seeing bands before the lemmings at the bigger shows go to be wowed cause they hear they are the next big thing or that drew barrymore liked them. Give her credit, she was on top of that band before you were.

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2007 12:55 AM

who said i didn't go to the mercury show? i definitely think the crowds are better in the smaller venues and i ususally hate webster. but sometimes when i like a band i go to see them more than once.

Posted by chloe | May 3, 2007 6:43 AM

well, i had a lot of fun at the tuesday night show. all three bands were terrific. up front, everyone was groovin' and boozin' and just enjoying ourselves.

granted, the pb&j show at merc was probably better (pretty much the same setlist, peter rocked out a little more during "up against the wall"... he almost fell off the stage at merc)... this was the first time I've seen f&m and they were fucking awesome! can't wait for the free show this summer.

so... moral of the story... when you're at webster hall, don't stand in the back. of course it sucks back there. get up front, the sound is better up there and the crowd is better up there. plus, they have a guy who brings beers right to you. it's great!

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2007 7:52 AM

Got to agree with the last comment, I was near the front to bee PB&J and thought the crowd was pretty good, much better than what I saw at the Bowery show in January. The band had a good amount of energy and seemed to be having fun and the sound was excellent from where I was standing.

As far as Fuji/Miyagi goes, that set probably would have been better if the band seemed a bit more into it . . . the lead singer could have at least unzipped his coat a bit and perhaps smiled.

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2007 9:44 AM

Fujiya and Miyaki were great last night ... but PJ&B were really pretty lame ... I don't know if that can be blamed on the crowd --- after all it was the same crowd for F&M

Posted by David | May 3, 2007 9:51 AM

now i know why Grey's Anatomy only used "Young Folks" and not the rest of their boring catalogue. i was like "play it already so we can get outta here!" LOL

Posted by copi | May 3, 2007 9:57 AM

I went to PB&J last night and yes I agree the crowd was lame. However, I'm not entirely sure the crowd is to blame because I think they also suck as a live band. I didn't see them at Merc. and maybe they could carry a venue of that size, but in the large crap burger like Webster Hall, they were below average at best.

This is a STUDIO band. End of story.

Posted by dre | May 3, 2007 10:15 AM

I saw them last night and I had a great time! They were way better than I expected. Of course I was right in the front, so maybe that's why...?

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2007 10:36 AM

I was only impressed by Au Revoir Simone. F&M were a poor New Order/Massive Attack tribute and PB&J were just poor. The hit was good but he mimed to the whistling which was a bit crap.

Posted by RAC | May 3, 2007 11:17 AM

I'm confused. Why were PB&J so bad?

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2007 12:30 PM

RAC,
i don't know how you were the least bit impressed with au revoir simone. they were really bland - the performance had no edge to it at all. granted, FM didn't have the greatest edge either - neither of the openers showed any passion in the music. at least pbj had some intensity to their music that made it interesting.

Posted by kyle | May 3, 2007 12:33 PM

amen to the comment above for saying last night's crowd sucked. it was embarassing. no one was into any of the music. hardly anyone was moving to the opener- fujiya and miyagi - who i have never seen before and thought they were awesome. i was dancing on the balcony and could watch everyone below my standing with crossed arms. and why did peter bjorn and john only play two old songs?- every other song was from writer's block. up against the wall was perfect. so awesome.

Posted by Amanda | May 3, 2007 1:15 PM

au revior simone bores me every time they happen to open up for a band i actually want to see. please please please stop booking them as opening bands!!!!!!

Posted by amanda | May 3, 2007 1:16 PM

Kyle if you want to see edge don't go to an indie pop concert....you wont find any edge there.

Anyway, I think the problem is Webster Hall. It sucks. It's too big, too NYU.

Posted by carlos | May 3, 2007 1:29 PM

i love when you guys goo waaaaaaah no one was moving or waaaaaaaaaah this place is toooo nyu or waaaaaaaaaaah webster is too big...the fact of the matter is websters sound sucks, and pb&j arent a good live band at all...F&M saved the show for me...and you cant say because the crowd sucked i didnt enjoy the show...i mean your there to see the band not watch the crowd...unless you have a.d.d.

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2007 2:25 PM

I was there and I was dancing, and so was everyone around me. It's a big place I'm sure there were pockets of activity and pockets of arm-crossing. I don't get all the PBJ hate. They are fun, us fans in the front had a good time.

The only thing that annoyed me towards the end of the night was the posse of wasted people who were pushing and shoving and screaming, trying to trample people to get to the foot of the stage. That's not enjoying the show, that's ruining it for everyone else.

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2007 3:19 PM

I spent 2 weeks trying to get tickets for PBJ, and with that effort, Icouldn't believe how fucking lame the crowd was.
Cell phones, texting, loud chatter like birds-it was crazy.
FM rocked! They must have been thinking what a bunch of lame-asses with the crowd standing around, and yelling conversations over the music. (A drummer would totally round out that band!)
PBJ were geeks. Just play, and play loud, and don't instruct us when to, and not to sing along. How gay was that?
I'd see F.M. again anytime, PBJ, one hit wonders.

Posted by JP | May 5, 2007 11:13 AM

f&m at j. brenda's in philly sat nite. will it be like, "Yay!" or like - "moe is we"? we shall see.

Posted by moe&moe jr | July 6, 2007 2:19 PM

F&M video made me feel good and then feel really bad, and then that little fucker still playing hacky sack when all his friends are dead makes me mad.

Posted by Dave | October 13, 2007 10:47 PM