Posted in MP3 | music on May 22, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Caps & Jones + Professor Murder - Mixed Tape (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Professor Murder - Free Stress Test (streetlab remix) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Lady Sovereign - Love me or Hate Me (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Lady Sovereign - Hoodie (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Lady Sovereign - Hoodie (Spank Rock remix) (MP3)

Lady Sovereign @ Studio B

Lady Sovereign @ Studio B

Professor Murder & Lady Sovereign played a show at Studio B in Brooklyn this weekend, and shortly afterwards the e-mails started pouring in - I mean the Lady Sov part of the show WAS advertised as a mini-set, but this is ridiculous....

Went to go see Lady Sovereign perform at Studio B in Greenpoint. I am not sure what happened, the show started off quite well. She performed two songs and then she got on the Mic and started complaining about how poor she was, and how she had no money and then BAM! she walked off stage, much to the dismay of Studio B.????? and the entire crowd who showed up to see her.

Yo that was pathetic. I can't believe you'd diss youself so hard in Williamsburg. Don't you know that you had a crowd of about 500 tastemakers there just for you? I thought you were someone who mattered. How wrong I was. Go fuck yourself.

Lady, your days are numbered. You just flipped the bird to Williamsburg, the center of the universe. You're over sweety. [Rock Star Diary]

...and by "ridiculous", I of course mean the part about Williamsburg being "the center of the universe". :-) Igor describes the situation like this:
Last night at Studio B in Brooklyn rapper Lady Sovereign completely broke down on stage. As she was waiting to go on stage she started setting this flier on the wall on fire. She got up on stage and the first thing she said was that this was the smallest crowd she had played to in "a long time". This probably had something to do with the fact that people waited two hours for her to go on. She then played Love Me or Hate Me but she didn't sing the choruses. Then she proceeded to say she was just here for the money. She said she was broke and didn't want to go on. She was like "I don't know what I am doing, what song is next?" Then she did another song and just sort of broke down. She said that she had been playing the same songs for two years and that she was sick of it. She told the audience that we couldn't possibly understand. She then was like "fuck this, I don't care if I don't get paid" and walked off the stage after a quick talk with her DJ. It was totally surreal.
Igor also supplsed the pictures on the top of this post, and the following video:

Is she for real, or is it all one big continuing psycho act. Did anyone see her show earlier in the night with Gwen Stefani?

Professor Murder also played the Studio B show. I hope their set was longer. Check out the top of this post for a brand new Professor Morder mixtape that they described to me like this:

we went to the Brothers Studio in Greenpoint and recorded lots and lots of live instrumental jams which we cut up into dozens of loops, which we sent to Caps & Jones, who used them along with other tracks and vocals and everything else to make this mix. The mix also have a preview of our single "Dutch Hex", which will be coming out sometime soon on the new Brothers Label, run out of the Brothers Studio.
Previously
* more Professor Murder posts
* more Lady Sovereign posts

maybe im gullable, but that seemed sincere -- she wasn't being obnoxious -- granted he is a performer, dont book shows you dont want to play -- but i mean she seemed like she had her own issues going on she needed to deal with. its not like she was yelling at the crowd or being rude.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 2:26 PM

"Lady, your days are numbered. You just flipped the bird to Williamsburg, the center of the universe. You're over sweety."

Um.... yeah. That's the dumbest thing I've read in quite some time. The part about "500 tastemakers" too. Proof positive that the WillieB/Bedford self-congratulatory hipster scene is still in full effect.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 2:28 PM

when was she ever note worthy to begin with?

Posted by sinbad | May 22, 2007 2:31 PM

Best episode of Al Alberts Showcase ever.

Posted by J | May 22, 2007 2:34 PM

freak!

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 2:43 PM

Williamsburg is so over.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 2:44 PM

to her defense, she's been endlessly promoting herself in america for over two years now, to no avail. that'll push most people over the edge.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 2:45 PM

i was at the gwen stefani show at jones beach and lady sov seemed fine. in fact she was yelling "AMERICA!" and holding out the mic to the crowd so everyone would cheer. lolz.

sorta funny that i saw more of lady sov at the gwen show than i would have if i went to studio b.

ps, yo, y'all going to the gravy train!!!! show at studio b? fresh!

Posted by craig! | May 22, 2007 2:45 PM

Williamsburg is the new OC, except everyone i fat and ugly and has a mac.

Posted by Kid Rock | May 22, 2007 2:51 PM

Does her shirt say "nigger midget in the gap?"

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 2:55 PM

Poor girl. Let this be a lesson for all you wanna-be stars: you sign with a manager. they sign you to a label, they don't let you pay for anything, until two years later when you've been stuck on the road growing less and less creative and more and more exhausted pimping out your hits--then you get the bill, for gas, the van, those sandwich trays, your people...after two years of hard work you're given a bill for thousands and told you'll be sued...UNLESS! HEY! Why don't you do this christmas duet with David Hasselhoff!

Beware...it happens. My guess is that Lady Sov is finding out the hard way. And I feel bad for her.

Posted by andrieu | May 22, 2007 2:57 PM

haha kid rock ... good one

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 2:57 PM

Looks like she needs rest. No sense half-assing it like that night after night. There are a lot of other kids who sweat blood and tears to get their music in front of kids. The center's always shifting, but she should take a cue from Junior Boys who laid shit down at Studio B in December. If she doesn't give the goods, how is one to either love or hate her?

Posted by allen | May 22, 2007 3:02 PM

bahahahahah, what a douchebag..."williamsburg is the center if the universe." its amazing what happens when somebody moves from buffalo to brooklyn, they think they instantly have some cred because they are living among other pretentious hipsters. nobody outside of the indie rock hipster world gives a shit about billyburg!

also, this is what you get for goign to a lady sovereign concert. that album is terrible and she is nothing more than a gimmick...she probably freaked out because it was approaching the 14th minute

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 3:03 PM

why do people pay money to see a little girl rapping?

i bet i can get my niece to do it for free

she has that same shirt

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 3:08 PM

Don't disrespect the 'Burg.

Posted by Bumpershine | May 22, 2007 3:15 PM

The doucheness of the Rock Star Diary self-flagellation is unfairly distracting from the real story - being that Lady Sov sucks ass and always has. She's pulled shit like this before and pretty much everything out of her mouth is crap. I wish she could just go away so we didn't have to keep pointing out her stupidity.

Posted by Sebastian | May 22, 2007 3:15 PM

sinbad has it right. When did she become noteworthy? I was just thinking how awesome it would be to catch a Deltron 3030 show (the whole outfit)

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 3:26 PM

That was painful to watch, and she's only like what, 20 years old? Feel bad for her. Now she knows what Dizzy Rascal went through and he didn't tour here nearly as much and as long as she has, plus with far less promotion.

PS - That Williamsburg/Center o' The Uni-whatever comment, that MAY have been relivant if it was said FIVE YEARS AGO!

Posted by b.LOUD | May 22, 2007 3:29 PM

anyone who payed to see her deserved what they got. she sucks, and you've had a year to know that. 'oh jay z signed her on the spot...' what a hack, I don;t get the losers that are into this type of crap. its obvious she was going to have zero staying power.

Posted by jimmyjamz | May 22, 2007 3:30 PM

Tastemakers wouldn't be at a Lady Sov show. Shit she was over & done with 2 yrs ago!

Posted by jpbreeder | May 22, 2007 3:36 PM

woah, is Hasselhoff coming out with a christmas mix?

A BV exclusive?

Posted by kde | May 22, 2007 3:40 PM

Where's Williamsburg?

Posted by Dick Hertz | May 22, 2007 3:51 PM

I take serious offense to the "Buffalo to Brooklyn" comment.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 4:16 PM

First Lily Allen goes all "Extreme Makeover" and now this? These English girls are in need of some serious mental health resources.

Posted by rinjo njori | May 22, 2007 4:21 PM

Didn't a dude in a jelly donut costume call this a while back? Go on Jelly Donut Man.

Posted by International Mixtape Project | May 22, 2007 4:26 PM

in defense of williamsburg. brooklyn is a hot spot for music and none of you can deny that, and for hre to come out and just walk off is pretty lame. she never really gave an excuse either which made her seem pretty childish.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 4:27 PM

Is that Rock Star Diary serious? I did get quite the laugh but FUCK, what are we going to do with all these kids who start a blog and deem themselves music tastemakers, media moguls...

What happened to credentials, putting in the time, earning your keep?

This has confirmed my hatred of Williamsburg circa 2002. Yeah they may have a few more tree's but that doesn't compensate for the cluster fuck of dim-witted, defective DNA running rampant on North 6th.

Posted by Dave | May 22, 2007 4:35 PM

Coming to VH1: when ugly hipster white chick rappin' goes wrong . . .

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 4:41 PM

You're about 7 years too late for that Deltron 3030 show. Saw it back at Irving Plaza in Nov. 2000.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 4:44 PM

Suck, personified.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 4:47 PM

Posted by Peter | May 22, 2007 5:19 PM

You may find this clip of interest. It's behind the scenes of her show 2 days later at Jones Beach Amphitheatre in Long Island, NY:

Posted by Kevin V | May 22, 2007 6:21 PM

"Before the Williamsburg bashing resumes, I'd just like to point out that Studio B is in Greenpoint."

and I'd like to point out that Studio B was filled with kids who live in Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 7:18 PM

Fiona Apple, March 2000, Roseland Ballroom NYC.
Total f*cking meltdown.
It was great...made me like her even more.
It showed she was a real f*cked up chick and that her songs were tortured as well.
But Lady Sov is no Fiona Apple.

Posted by Christopher | May 22, 2007 8:13 PM

Um yeah. It was probably filled with kids from all over the city actually (including Williamsburg).

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 9:47 PM

but not cleveland. b/c cleveland rocks.

Posted by kde | May 22, 2007 10:33 PM

Poor Sov can't pay her rent :-( If she never picked up a mic she'd still be sucking c*ck in Chalkhill for weed money. She should be thankful for her little break from the dole.

P.S. Leave Williamsburg alone. What would Brooklyn be without all of that young hipster pu**y?

Posted by Roldy | May 22, 2007 11:29 PM

Hmmm...I think it was some time ago, but didn't Lady S do something similar in Philly where she was just whining and complaining and just left after a song or 2?

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2007 11:33 PM

TELL That BETCH to shut the F up! who does she think she is a white spin deralla? I am gonna sister sledge her a** next time she is in nyc or the BK!.

Posted by KELLY | May 23, 2007 2:39 AM

Yes, the puppet pulled the same shit in philly over a year ago. She kicked over speakers at Silk City (RIP) and called everything "diet."
The only reason I stuck around was because she made the ticket price for professor murder go up $5 and I live next door (so what the hell). Prof. was disappointing unfortunately...so I sat around for 3 MORE HOURS!!!!
All I have to say is that she fulfilled my expectations-she called my friend a cunt (the beginning of the video) and acted like a little bitch.

by the way...as far as her "broke as shit" rant. All she had to do was perform ONE more song (out of three) to fulfill her contract. I hope the bitch didn't get paid...then agian I don't give a shit because she looked like such a fucking gimick (as if I didn't expect her to)....she would have looked more reputable with a cheesy CBGB's T-shirt on-like 3 out of 4 Kooks wore.

let's just say I was expecting what I got, but I was hopeing to be surprised.

I'm really behind but if you want to chat about shows:

Posted by Court | May 23, 2007 4:15 AM

I am a savior of NYC and Brooklyn.

Pretensious trendos are a no go-go. You wanna jive BK, be cool okay? not some OC jive turkey, nimrod, cotton gin ass hole.

Posted by Nick | May 23, 2007 6:42 AM

Sutton Place is the new Williamsburg which is the new Upper East Side which is the new Greenwich Village so whatever your all clearly not hip enough to be in with the new shit.

Posted by Dave | May 23, 2007 9:13 AM

Too bad for Rock Star Diary "Studio B" is actually in Greenpoint.

Posted by Waingro | May 23, 2007 10:02 AM

the only people who care about Williamsburg are people who live in Williamsburg.....

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2007 10:17 AM

come on who gives a a sh*t about Lady S or Williamsurg?

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2007 11:07 AM

tastemakers?

fuck williamsburg

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2007 1:19 PM

Everyone out at a live show in NYC looks like they come from Williamsburg... Whats the point in talkin shit? Brooklyn is slowing becoming a better place to live/hang than the city. Besides you are all reading Brooklyn Vegan, so what does that say about you???

And Studio B pulls in some great acts and people take notice when the performers tear it up.
With that said, we are taking notice to her "break down." Bad move on her part even if we feel bad for her.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2007 1:59 PM

the true tastemakers of williamsburg are the fine folks at Peter Luger's

Posted by miguel | May 23, 2007 2:07 PM

Sounds like a lot of people are jealous of Williamsburg! haha ;)

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2007 2:09 PM

"500 taste makers" more like 5 taste makers and a bunch of sheep.

Posted by Perry Swanson | May 24, 2007 12:18 AM

How dare she treat Williamsburg like that!?!?! I paid $600,000 for a 500 square foot one bedroom apartment so that I could be one of these taste makers and all I ask for in return is that each little flavor of the month musical act that I pretend to support sees to it that I am completely entertained at all times. And this little British bitch treats me this way?! Now I'm never gonna give her my hard earned $0.99 at the iTunes store!! Fuck You SOV!!! You CUNT!!! AAAAARRRGGHGHH!!!!!

Posted by Mackie | May 24, 2007 9:31 AM

i hate on williamsburgh now because now because its hilarious how badly its been gentrified by the same generic people....tattoo sleeves, the same piercings, border-line emo haircut, extra small "vintage" t shirt to show off tats, nut hugging jeans and a pair of chuck taylors.

i like to liven in a diverse area, not some area that is "the place to be" at the moment and the streets look like a mass exodus from a radiohead concert

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2007 10:04 AM

how come when cat power pulls this kind of thing she gets called a genius

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2007 12:26 PM

because pulling shit like that is a major part of what makes chan marshall's music what it is. fiona apple too. lady sov is supposed to be fun.

Posted by B | May 24, 2007 2:13 PM

where the fuck is williamsburg?

Posted by san diego | May 24, 2007 6:02 PM

Posted by erika | May 29, 2007 5:03 PM

uhm, lady sovereign is a fucking boss.

Posted by julia | June 2, 2007 12:27 PM

uhm, lady sovereign is a fucking boss.

Posted by julia | June 2, 2007 12:27 PM

not to hate a female rapper in the game!but corney lines,no story is Quite Lame.The way I see it is that she is eather someones relativein the music bizz or Jay Z owes someone a favor or a Huge Debt.I know black girls that rap their ass off and would R.I.P her with the quickess.Shes done she has no command of the genre,and some old white dude producer is writing the lines thinking ''oh isnt she cute''...NOPE!GIMMICKKK buftime!! and It's Sad as alot of Rappers work to hard for gigs,I know I do and she can't evn finish one?...no thanks not my hard earned money If people want to hear soem real shit ''in Brooklyn'' check out my boy's ''DUO LIVES'' hot!! on every style of hip hop! Holla!

Posted by carolynbaxter | June 8, 2007 2:29 AM

o my word lady sovereign is so freaking hot i love her and want to make babies with her but i cant cause im a girl but i can still have a sexy time with her mmmmmmmmm lady sovereign im only 17 and a total lezbo, but your so hot i cant help it sorry call me ;)

Posted by alaytin chartier | June 15, 2007 6:10 PM

oh my word, lady sovereign is so freaking hot. i want to make little miget babies with her! but that would be difficult for the simple fact of me being a GIRL. but i can still have asexy time with her. lady sovereign if you are reading this you should know that you are the hottest miget in the game. and my one dream is to have asexy time with you. im only 17 but i know what to do. promise so yeah get back at me at this nombre 6236959659 totally

Posted by alaytin chartier | June 15, 2007 6:17 PM

fuck all you shit talkers i looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000ve lady sovereign you guys are just jealous bitches cause your WHITE and cant rhyme or rap FUCKEN HATERS! BACK THE FUCK OFF QUIT TALKING SHIT AE

Posted by ALAYTIN | June 15, 2007 6:27 PM

I just have to respond to this:

"give her a break, this was the only gig out of the whole tour that she did that. she was just being real about the whole thing, she was forced to do it when she didn't want to. when you don't want to do something do you go and put on a happy face like your so glad to be there? and also, she knows that like almost all of the people are there for gwen not her. i went to her gig on may 27th and she was fine, it was just an off day for her. you should give her another chance."

You couldn't be more wrong. This is the one set where people were *actually there to see her* as opposed to the rest of the tour, opening up for Gwen Stefani. This was her night. Her set was really the headlining act. And she blew it off.

People ask how so-called "fans" could be so harsh. Let's face it, she doesn't have many "fans" in New York -- at least in the groups who would've known about this show and been able to make it to Studio B. The audience were a bunch of new-music enthusiasts, eager to give her a chance to rock a cool small set for them, and she blew it.

That said, she should be forgiven for being depressed, etc. It happens. But it's getting ridiculous with people blaming the crowd for being hard on her. She did fuck up. She could've brought some energy and made it a special show. She misjudged the crowd and scoffed at its size rather than maximizing the situation. Maybe she's right, maybe America does "fuck you up" or maybe her management "fucks you up." Maybe "America" is a code word for Jay-Z. We may never know.

Posted by Mike L | June 20, 2007 1:49 AM

Fuck you haters. Shes going through rough times and she is sick of all you fucked up people screwin everything up. All she needs is a bit more support. And hell yeuh I'd be pissed if she walked off stage like that but Fuck give her some support. Shes a Fuckin good MC so let her do her fuckin job! Give the Lady some respect!!!

Posted by Emma | July 3, 2007 1:54 PM

well i watched the video and i don't know how anyone can blame her for walking off stage if she really feels like that. she's talking about being depressed and cutting herself... that's pretty serious. and if you look at her, she's really just a kid. All the pressure and stress of the music bussiness is catching up to her. She probably just needs some rest and some time to get away from everything. i feel really bad for her, and the last thing she needs is people booing her and criticising her. that was pretty harsh in my opinion. i mean she's not a machine, she feels things too. she made that pretty clear on stage. true, she maybe could have stuck it out and finished the show, but no one really knows what was going on inside her head and what she was feeling. if you've ever been depressed you might have an idea. but there's another video of her like the day after or something saying that she was fine and was "the happiest girl in the world." so she was probably just having a bad day. it happens to the best of us.

Posted by laura | July 7, 2007 2:15 PM

Posted by laura | July 7, 2007 2:15 PM

Posted by laura | July 7, 2007 2:25 PM

hehe....jeeesh, williamsburg? Seriously, williamsburg is built on the most toxic dump site in all of the U.S. Check this out http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=742311878&bccl=NzQxODkxOTgxX19ORVdT

Its a report on how people living in Williamsburg have absolutely no idea that they live on toxic waste. Over 30 people test positive for cancer on 1 street alone. After i showed my sister this, she got the hell out of there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2007 12:09 AM

WOW. Look what i found in Wikipedia -

"environmental action has called Williamsburg "the most toxic place to live in America" in a documentary created by Williamsburg based VBS organization. Other rare cancer clusters in Willamsburg have been reported in the NY Post, CBS news and Geraldo at Large on Fox."

"Radiac Research Corporation, a radioactive and hazardous waste storage plant operates on Kent Avenue in Williamsburg. Radiac has a permit from the state's Department of Labor to store radioactive medical waste, including uranium and plutonium."

PLUTONIUM!!!

Posted by WOAH! | August 9, 2007 6:35 PM

OMG!i forgot about lady sovereign for a long time but then i heard the song love me or hate me again and now i keep on watching vids by her!!!!!

XOXO KAYLE!!!

Posted by kayle | May 14, 2008 6:16 PM

"Tastemakers" in Williamsburg... you must mean yuppies and "artists" from upstate who jumped on the wagon once they saw that their "art school" peers were all moving there too.

Much like immigrants coming to America, except rather than looking for a paying job to support their families (which is legitimate if you ask me), they're looking for "the next best thing" to support their egos with: in other words, because they think they'll come across some new trend that they can hijack, fill with missed-the-point wackness, and effectively render an artifact of "yesterday/week/month/season/year."

KEEP YOUR WACKNESS OUT, YOU CRITICCALLY-UNTHINKING DRONES, FOR EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH TURNS TO SHIT (and then after that happens you say "oh, this is SO uncool" as if you don't know WHY it became "uncool," as if you don't know that you destroyed it with your poor sense of timing and altogether fake demeanor which has nothing original and nothing worth being paid attention to within it)

....ers

Posted by loose egos | April 18, 2009 2:00 AM

....ers

Posted by loose egos | April 18, 2009 2:03 AM

...and y'all should think of the toxic dump thing metaphorically...

Posted by loose egos | April 18, 2009 2:05 AM

Lady soverign, LOL

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 3:09 AM

Leave the S.O.V alone,you vegan EMO RAPPING CUNT.

Posted by hicks is the name. | July 7, 2009 2:42 AM

Leave the S.O.V alone,you vegan EMO RAPPING CUNT.

Posted by bill hicks is the name. | July 7, 2009 2:58 AM

'Does her shirt say "nigger midget in the gap?"'

Biggest midget in the game.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 8:57 AM

Best episode of Al Alberts Showcase ever.

Posted by dekorasyon | August 31, 2009 11:23 AM

Too bad for Rock Star Diary "Studio B" is actually in Greenpoint.

Posted by sağlık | August 31, 2009 11:23 AM

Posted by şifalı bitkiler | August 31, 2009 11:24 AM

freak!

Posted by lightme | August 31, 2009 11:25 AM

Of course she walked off the stage.
who would want to play for all you spoiled rich
white brats.bunch of dick-smokers

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 11:18 AM

nice song, nice lady. So pretty... :))

Posted by Burç Uyumları | November 11, 2009 1:55 PM

thnaks for all

Posted by erotik shop | November 13, 2009 4:05 AM

sagol bilader

Posted by beyaz show | November 14, 2009 8:50 AM

hadı bakalım

Posted by kuru temizleme | November 22, 2009 10:47 PM

I think she do what she coud do.

Posted by asigurari auto | February 18, 2010 2:35 PM

She do everything . She tried

Posted by dezmembrari auto | February 18, 2010 2:36 PM

Posted by Youtube | April 15, 2010 1:40 PM

Posted by Youtube | April 15, 2010 1:55 PM

I love how many people on here dont care about her and are tired of reading or hearing about her ...WHY THE FUCK ARE U ON THIS WEBPAGE? Not ONLY did u take the time to read this, u took the time to comment. *applause*

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2012 5:08 AM