Posted in hiphop | music on May 30, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Mos Def - Tru3 Magig (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good (feat. Ghostface) (MP3)

Help me welcome Angry Citizen: Since Wes is too busyyyyyy to see live Hip Hop, and we're constantly jacking pictures from Angry Citizen anyway, we figured why not make it official.....

Mos Def @ Highline Ballroom, NYC - May 26, 2007
Mos Def @ Highline Ballroom

If you expected to hear Mos Def rip through 'Black on Both Sides', you left the Highline Ballroom disappointed, but if you did leave disappointed Saturday night, well, then you‘re officially excommunicated from the Mos Def community.

His performance was that kind of performance - provided you went in with an open mind, and permitted Mos and his band Black Radio the room to breathe, groove, and explore the different areas of funk and jazz that Mos has gravitated towards recently. Once their groove took hold, Mos Def rolled through inspired versions of 'Umi Says', 'Boogie Man Song' and 'Napoleon’s Dynamite'. He even threw in a batch of eclectic covers including a Stevie Wonder and Cyndi Lauper song, Bel Biv Devoe's 'Poison', and a portion of The Pharcyde’s 'Passing Me By'. The real fun and show stopper came when Mos brought out special guest, Q-Tip. Tip led the crowd through the chorus of 'Lyrics To Go' as well as 'Bonita Applebum' before jumping into 'Check the Rhime', with Mos picking up Phife’s lines. You on point Mos? All the time Tip!

Thx AC. And in related news, I guess Amy Winehouse is also already in town the country preparing for her appearance this Sunday June 3rd on the MTV Movie Awards because someone sent me this picture of her and Mos Def taping another show for MTV that will air on June 8th...

Mos Def & Amy Winehouse

“45th At Night” transforms MTV’s famed TRL studio into a nighttime club where cameras take a back seat to the performance and live music thrives. The inaugural episode features Amy Winehouse backed by The Dap-Kings and includes a sizzling collaboration with Mos Def and premieres Friday, June 8th at 11:30pm on MTV. Songs performed include: 'Rehab', 'Back to Black', 'Me & Mr. Jones', & 'You Know I’m No Good'
I guess Mos Def called.

Now that is an MTV show i wished I would have been at and cannot wait to see

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2007 3:29 PM

"And in related news, I guess Amy Winehouse is also already in town preparing for her appearance this Sunday June 3rd on the MTV Movie Awards"

--What town are you referring to BV because the Movie awards are done in LA not NYC

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2007 3:34 PM

"What town are you referring to BV because the Movie awards are done in LA not NYC"

I meant the town of the United States! (oops)

slightly changing.

Posted by brooklynvegan.com | May 30, 2007 3:37 PM

As an avid, old school hip hop fan, I'm definitely interested in hearing Mos Def's new material after reading this piece -- looking forward to the mix of jazz and funk thrown in... good lookin' out AC and very glad to see you are branching out.

Posted by Li | May 31, 2007 1:57 PM

how do people find out about when these shows are recorded so they can get their asses there....and when i say they and their i mean ME! i would have died to be there.

can anyone help me out with an answer though?

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2007 7:39 PM

can anyone help me out with an answer though?

Posted by alyssa | May 31, 2007 7:39 PM

I am hearing there might be a secret Amy Winehouse show at the Bowery on the 21st - any truth to that? Has anyone else heard anything?

Posted by antonia | June 8, 2007 1:26 PM

Antonia, where did you hear about the secret show? Does anyone hear have more info on this?

Posted by Scarlett | June 9, 2007 4:53 PM

I just saw the show... Great all around. Does anyone know anything about the back-up band? I thought the baritone sax player looked awfully like the great Steve "The Doctor" Kupka of Tower of Power fame.

Posted by craig1884 | June 14, 2007 12:35 AM

a friend of mine heard it from someone who works at MTV - don't know if it is true but it seems really odd that there is still no info on who is playing the BB on the 21st ...

Posted by antonia | June 17, 2007 3:04 PM

i saw this show, it was 45th at night! amy was amazin and mos def was good 2! lv'd it

Posted by becca | October 22, 2008 10:55 AM