Posted in music | tour dates on May 17, 2007

Check out this video of Fiona Apple, Jon Brion, and Chris Thile of Nickel Creek performing 'Fast as You Can' together....

Check out this news.....

Fiona Apple (again) & Nickel Creek are playing Central Park Summerstage in NYC on August 14th, but it gets better (or worse) than that:

The members of Nickel Creek and Apple met several years ago in Los Angeles, and began occasionally working together at the club Largo - an intimate and magnetic music club that has become legendary for stellar lineups and surprise appearances. A loose and friendly musical exchange began with Apple sitting in on Sean and Sara Waktins' ‘anything goes' "Watkins Family Hour," and with either Thile or the Watkins returning the favor whenever possible.

For the August dates, fans will be treated to an expansion of those collaborations developed at Largo. Naturally, material will be pulled from both artists' solo catalogues, but fans can also expect to hear anything from pop standards to country classics to modern rock covers. Apple's presentation will be unique in that she will rely on Nickel Creek for back up during her set.

As you may know, club Largo in LA is also where Jon Brion does his weekly shows - sometimes with Fiona, and some times with Chris. I assume that's where the above video was taken. Jon was just on tour with Nickel Creek. Fiona starts touring with them on August 2nd. Before that Nickel Creek have Glen Phillips opening, and it's important to note that this will be Nickel Creek's farewell-for-now tour. All tour dates below....

Nickel Creek - Farewell (for now) - 2007 Tour Dates
8.17 - Boston, MA Band of America Pavilion **
8.18 - Philadelphia, PA Mann Center for the Performing Arts **
8.19 - Westbury, NY North Fork Theater at **
9.01 - Pagosa Springs, CO Four Corners Folk Festival

* w/ Glen Phillips
** w/ Fiona Apple

did my anonymous post in the comments of the "free ticket at other music" posting point this out to you? yay for me being newsworthy?

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 3:18 PM

actually your (out of context) anonymous comment came (somewhat-frustratingly) right as I was finishing up writing this post, but I do appreciate it of course. :-)

Posted by brooklynvegan | May 17, 2007 3:24 PM

well i dont mind being out of context, it makes me feel sorta hip.

im a pop sensation!

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 3:44 PM

I've always wondered if the non-related posts anger/frustrate BV. I assume it doesn't.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | May 17, 2007 4:35 PM

Where the hell is Ancramdale and what the hell is the Grey Fox Festival? Who the hell would go to Westbury Music Fair to see an indie rock show?

Posted by Cranky | May 17, 2007 4:40 PM

This sounds really really awful. I like some of Fiona Apple's stuff, but Nickel Creek is nothing but David Grisman Lite. I was glad when I heard they were hanging it up. Too bad they're dragging it out with a tour...

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 4:44 PM

Nickel Creek does not equal indie rock

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 4:45 PM

Fiona Apple does, dumb ass.

Posted by Cranky | May 17, 2007 5:49 PM

nickel creek man might be the most obnoxious performer ever.

minus the visual, though, it wasn't so bad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 5:55 PM

Fiona Apple & Nickle Creek are as "indie rock" as the Gap.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 6:13 PM

hmm . . . I actually think that the Gap is way more indie than those dopey acts.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 6:15 PM

Cranky,

How exacyly is Fiona Apple "Indie"? She is on Sony-BMG. One of the biggest entertainment companies around. Her tour is fully sponsored and she travels in a Sony-BMG bought luxury bus. I'm not knocking Fiona--she is talented, but certainly not "indie."

So get a clue before you call someone a "dumb ass," you DUMB ASS!

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 7:57 PM

Yes, that video was filmed at Largo. It's part of the warmup for her "Extraordinary machine" launch , for which she did a few little gigs like that with JOn.

NO, shes not indie, but she's very original/individual, isn't she?

Posted by Chelseagirl | May 17, 2007 8:07 PM

Well, guess I'm the only one excited. Nickel Creek are the most talented people I've ever seen live, and Fiona Apple is fun times.
See ya in NC.

Posted by Tommy | May 17, 2007 10:32 PM

This looks awesome. I just wish Brion was going to be with them.

Posted by J | May 17, 2007 10:56 PM

Those of us in LA got a little preview of what this might sound like (minus Chris Thile) at last night's Watkins Family Hour show at Largo. Fiona sat in for 4 tunes and sounded fantastic. She harmonized with Sean for two "murder ballads" (I don't know their names) and sang her own "Parting Gift" which sounded fantastic given the guitar and violins treatment. She also sang "All Alone" just with Benmont Tench. As a fan of both groups I'm only sad they don't have an LA date on the books so I can see it with Chris as well.

Posted by zach | May 18, 2007 11:47 AM

Not only are they not doing an LA show, they're not even playing San Diego, which is their hometown. What's up with that?

Posted by lrkr | May 20, 2007 12:22 PM

I was there and it was in July of 2005. I went to go see Jon Brion at Largo. For his second set, he said he had a few special guests and Fiona came out along with Nickel Creek. It was (despite Nickel Creek's lameness) a spectacular and intimate show as Largo is very, very tiny. I made Danny Devito laugh in the bathroom line. Ah, Largo. The only reason to move to LA, really.

Posted by Martin | May 21, 2007 12:31 AM

Posted by Martin | May 21, 2007 12:32 AM

The show was pretty freakin good last night. Fiona is off-the-wall bonkers, lots of fun to watch. Nickel Creek is very talented, maybe a bit boring sometimes on their own stuff, but sounded phenomenal backing Fiona up. I kinda missed drums, though. The girl from Nickel Creek has an awesome voice, by the way!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2007 2:20 PM