Posted in MP3 | music | tour dates on May 15, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Superchunk - Kicked In (acoustic) (MP3)

Superchunk & Magnetic Fields @ Princeton University - 1996 (CRED)
Superchunk @ Princeton

As previously reported, Superchunk are playing a cancer benefit with the Mountain Goats in Chicago in June. And as previously reported, Dan Deacon and many other popular indie rockers are playing free shows in McCarren Pool in Brooklyn this summer. What has not yet been reported though - not until this sentence anyway - is that Superchunk will also be playing a free show on a TBA date this summer at McCarren pool. Stay tuned for more details.

Destinys ChildWant to hear Superchunk sing "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child? Well, then you'll have to buy the new "Guilt By Association" comp. when it comes out (Aug 28, 2007). You CAN hear Devendra Banhart sing Oasis, Petra Haden sing Journey, and Will Oldham sing Mariah Carey though - right now streaming on the sinful compilation's own MySpace page. Be its friend*.

* full disclosure: BV contributor Undisputed Wes works for the company who put out this awesome comp

But what about Portastatic??
* Schedule Two posted some live videos recorded in February
* They're playing North Carolina and Spain
* They miss San Fadyl

Ugh. I saw Superchunk at The Daily Show's Ten F#@king Years (The Concert). That was the suckiest bunch of suck to ever suck...except maybe for Jason Jones' set.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 8:43 AM

I thought Superchunk was great at that show. They did a lot of my favorite classics. Were you a superchunk fan back in the day or are you just bashing a band that you don't really know anything about?

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 8:53 AM

last time i saw superchunk was 97's merge cmj thing at irving plaza...they were alright...

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 8:59 AM

"Were you a superchunk fan back in the day or are you just bashing a band that you don't really know anything about?"

Neither. I was always familiar with them, but my interest was quite superficial, so I can't call myself a "fan". I felt they were OK, but after standing for four hours, OK recorded becomes suck live...especially with their attitude.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 9:22 AM

Their attitude??? What the hell are you talking about? They seemed to have a great time playing that show, especially considering it was only their second show for about a year and a half, following a short SXSW set. By the way, you may be the first person in history to claim to like their records better than their live show; usually it's the other way around. Personally, I love both. Regardless, they are one of the great bands of the past two decades, and one of the most euphoric live bands ever (only thing I can compare it to is the Buzzcocks).

Posted by Matt | May 15, 2007 9:50 AM

Um, this is the best news ever!!! The fact that I can walk to a venue and see one of my favorite bands of all time. To hate them is to NOT know about them.

95 Buzz Bin or Bust 4 eva!!!!

Posted by Chris | May 15, 2007 9:56 AM

Wow, this IS great news. And, they *sucked* at the Daily Show benefit? Wha? Now, most of that show was disappointing - the comedy bits were flat or worse, some of the openers went on too long, Jon Stewart never showed, etc - but Superchunk were exhilarating. I can't wait to see this show!

Posted by chris2 | May 15, 2007 10:08 AM

Oh well. I'm not sure why anymore, but I remember finding them rude. That's purely subjective, though; a musician makes a comment and people who love them will think it's funny and clever while people who don't will think it's obnoxious. Such is life.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 10:09 AM

Superchunk es muy bueno!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 10:37 AM

Superchunk shows are great because they play a good number of songs from all their albums, all the way back to No Pocky for Kitty era. Superchunk is one of the true hallmarks of the 90s indie revolution along with pavement, GBV, Archers of Loaf, Polvo, et. al.

Posted by will | May 15, 2007 11:35 AM

theyre also the only one of those bands still together.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2007 1:05 PM

maybe all the uber indie trendy twats will stay away & rearrange their leg warmers or get some new tattoos & let some real people enjoy some real music for a change..

Posted by Dave | May 15, 2007 2:39 PM

The reason Superchunk absolutely rocked the Daily Show is by the time they took the stage (midnight? 1am?) all by the diehard fans had left. Take the people for whom Superchunk actually meant something, put them in a room together, forget the rest, have a blast.

Posted by Harry | May 15, 2007 5:40 PM

If you don't like Superchunk, you don't like music...I'm sure you are a jaded Williamsburg hipster who couldn't score any coke before the show. Go eat your Members Only jacket you shitbag.

Posted by Matt S. | May 17, 2007 5:39 PM

Posted by Matt S. | May 17, 2007 5:42 PM

I saw a two person version of superchunk open for m. ward at town hall. I found it somewhere between painful and forgettable. I thought I liked music a lot but I guess I don't per angry matt s.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2007 5:52 PM

Hey peeeps, #1 that was portastatic at town hall, not the chunk.... and #2 as a (sort of) member of both outfits i think i can say something here. No doubt about it... we suck sometimes.... but that night doing the Daily Show party..... that was not bad. You go on with your life and have a great attitude day in and day out and don't ever get mad or disillusioned, even when the the entertainment you pay to see is sad and disillusioning (or at least the people providing it are tired and dealing with their own crap) Go watch a Spielberg movie or better yet... guard the perimeter. Christ....! Why do I have to deal with stupid people! That's a semi-quote from Greg McDonald's "Fletch".... You might know it as a move starring Chevy Chase! I'm just ranting and don't mean any harm. Love to all and see you at the Metro and the Pool

Posted by mr. wilbur | May 17, 2007 9:16 PM

If you don't like Superchunk then don't go, simple as that. More room for those of us who absolutely LOVE this band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2007 9:15 PM

i guess i don't understand how this works? how do i as an individual get to SEE this show? just show up? buy a free ticket?
oh, and to those who cast poop towards superchunk, heed the wubster.. you have no f***ing clue. chunk CONSISTENTLY demonstrates talent and an "i care" attitude while rocking.

Posted by pedro | May 19, 2007 12:48 PM

^Just show up. no tickets needed. There are security guards at the door that briefly check your bags/purse. That's it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2007 1:50 PM

Superchunk are easily the most energetic, tight, and fun live band i've seen over 15 years of seeing love shows...AND the least pretentious i can think of. If sarcasm is considered rude then yes, Mr. Wilbur may be guilty of that. But I sure as hell feel sorry for anyone who believes that! Superchunk are not afraid to make fun of you or themselves...life is not so serious.

see for yourself on 6/24.

or...the internets. they dont lie

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 11:48 PM

I'm baffled. I was at the Daily Show party and I thought Superchunk brought it.

I will grant the original poster that if one isn't familiar with them, it can be a bit daunting to hear a full set live. Their stuff can be a bit dense. Perhaps something more predictable would be your speed; say George Thorogood or ZZ Top.

Me? I'm a 38 year old guy who's probably seen something like 2500 rock shows in my life. I thought they were damn good.

Posted by 20 lbs. heavier | June 15, 2007 1:47 AM

Anyone who says superchunk sucks is an excuse for a human being..let me ask you this..do you like any artist on merge? yeah, well that's Macs label, one of the greatest indie labels of all time..not only are they amazing musicians but they are the nicest bunch to exist.
do you see them wearing skinny ties and black eyeliner to prove they're cool? yeah, I didn't think so. they are true to indie rock, and the greatest bunch of warm hearted, incredible bunch of all time. So, you may not dig their sound but to say they suck only proves your lack of undestanding of what quality music is. So don't go see a band you hate, leave room for the people who think they are incredible. On my 21st birthday I saw them play at maxwells and Mac gave me a shout out. it was the best gift ever. I love these guys, always will. i hope to NOT see any superchunk haters at this show..why would you fucking go if they apparently suck that bad? you fools..

Posted by gwen | June 15, 2007 11:46 AM

anyone know set times for superchunk show at mccarren?

Posted by kristin | June 21, 2007 12:55 PM

People, go see them at McCarren, as a Chi-Town Pimp who saw them last night at Metro in Chicago I can easily say that it was a fantastic rock show. As good as or even better than when I saw them 5 yrs ago there, they still got it and always will. And I agree w/ all other posters who said that guy who said they suck does not have a clue about music. They are the nicest most non-pretentious band ever. Last night was a benefit for a friend of a friend who recently died of cancer, and that dudes family had nothing but nice things to say about how much time and effort the band contributed to make it a great night. Superchunk rules, all haters can suck it.

Posted by Ballz | June 21, 2007 4:23 PM

Superchunk/Merge is all that is pure and good in the life.

Posted by originalpostersucks | June 22, 2007 10:49 AM

what time will they go on at McCarren today!!??

Posted by sticks | June 24, 2007 1:08 PM

Wow, what an amazing show today. It is only the first show of the season, but it is already the one to beat. I think only Ted Leo has the possibility to top today, but then again, I never heard some bands like the Octopus Project. Man Man will be fun next week, but Superchunk were on fire. The best show I have ever seen them perform.

They said it was their first time playing a public space in Brooklyn, but I guess they forgot about the time they played Coney Island.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 12:03 AM

It's so sad that Destinys Child does not sing anymore, first Spice Girls, now them. Girls bands simply don't have any future on the market.

Posted by Stal JakoĊ›ciowa | April 15, 2011 3:32 PM