Posted in MP3 | music | pictures on May 25, 2007

DOWNLOAD: The Rosebuds - Get Up Get Out (MP3)

some of the crowd got in on the action at the end
The Rosebuds @ Bowery Ballroom

Last night's show at Bowery Ballroom just kept getting better and better (May 24, 2007). Bowerbirds were pretty good. The Ladybug Transistor was mostly great (I would have left happy if they headlined), but then The Rosebuds were absolutely incredible. It was actually the first time I ever saw them live, and now I might be a little obsessed. It was exactly what I needed - something to counteract all the David Bruno-approved music that's been dominating my life lately.

The Rosebuds @ Bowery Ballroom

Bowery was PACKED too. I have to admit I wasn't expecting that - partly because it still wasn't sold out yesterday - and wasn't their last NYC show at (the much smaller) Union Hall? - I can't even imagine how awesome that must have been.

Anyone notice something very 30 something about the crowd? Maybe because they were on NPR earlier in the day?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 10:22 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 10:48 AM

I wasn't at the show, but I have already seend the Rosebuds a couple of times before, the same with Ladybug Transistor. and I am not 20 soemthing, and do not listen to npr. You are a jerk if you think you only have to be in your 20s to know or love music.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 10:50 AM

yeah...shut the fuckdk up

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 11:06 AM

geez, yo, just saying I was expecting more of the willyburg dance-rock crowd, that's all. In no way did I say the crowd was bad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 11:07 AM

And I'd take a 30-something NPR crowd over the dance rock crowd any damn day!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 11:09 AM

i'm 83 and upset i missed the show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 11:09 AM

i'm 83 and upset i missed the show.

Posted by snugglebutt | May 25, 2007 11:10 AM

Nice. I'm glad to hear/see that other people are enjoying this band live as much as I have recently. They were amazing at SXSW.

Posted by uwmryan | May 25, 2007 11:14 AM

Speaking of thirtysomethings, was that Jason Hammel in the balcony? Or maybe it was a husband/wife duo thing that set my imagination off.

Anyhow, I was a little skeptical about the band's dancier evolution, but they rocked the house last night. Frontman's Pete Townsend kicks apparently left him wounded.

long live rock.

Posted by David | May 25, 2007 11:22 AM

i saw them wednesday in philly, johnny brenda's, and they were amazing there. it wasn't that packed and kelly even made it to the balcony to dance for a bit. that was a nice treat.

Posted by jonnyb | May 25, 2007 11:23 AM

Posted by jonnyb | May 25, 2007 11:23 AM

i actually thought the crowd was on the young side, not to mention enthusiastic, dancey -- just plain fun. i just wish they hadn't included so many duran duran songs off their new album. this bands seems to be tailor made for the power pop of their first record and maybe the more sophisticated second record. not really feeling them as a dance rock band. but it's interesting the way they reinvent themselves each time. and i'm happy for them that they had such a fun crowd to play to. the end.

Posted by cat | May 25, 2007 12:36 PM

That Union Hall show was great, but it wasn't even half has spectacular as their set @ Rothko during CMJ '05. That was some kind of awesomeness.

Very pleased to see some of my favorite bands finally getting some love here. First !!! and now The Rosebuds. Good stuff.

Posted by Chris | May 25, 2007 12:37 PM

Norf Cakka represent!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2007 12:49 PM

Rosebuds were definitely suprising...I had no idea they had such an energetic live show! And to echo everyone else...all three bands were indeed great last night.

Posted by Eric | May 25, 2007 2:29 PM

I loved the show. I thought that Bowerbirds instrumentation was limiting and it's really hard to get excited about a band as easygoing as Ladybug Transistor, but man oh man did The Rosebuds exceed my expectations and then some.

It's interesting... I like their albums quite a bit, but listening to them you'd never get a sense of what they're like live.

(it helped that they started with my two favorite songs off the new album-- Silja Line and Hold On To This Coat).

Does anyone have a setlist from the show?

Posted by isaac | May 27, 2007 8:51 AM

I often find a hard to believe that bands just get better and better and better; I always tend to believe that bands hit an apex, hold there for a few years, and then either hold on to that apex for their careers, or hit a steady decline. One band that just keeps surprising me with every album and live set is The Rosebuds. For my Memorial Day weekend, rather than hit up the first huge festival of the year, I stayed in Bean Town and saw Ivan and Kelly rock it out for the (record) fifth time. But this time, it was a totally different game when supporting Night Of The Furies. After seeing them as a trio for the last 3 years, this was the first show I took in with The Rosebuds as a five-piece, augmented by Portastatic drummer Matt McCaughn, bassist (and one time Rosebuds touring drummer) Giorgio Angelini and guitarist and super-percussionist Justin (last name to be inserted here later. Can't think of it for the life of me!)

With the expansion in the line-up, the band becomes a monster like never before. Though he was confined to a chair due to a knee injury which may or may not have been caused from reprising his role as a NCAA college superstar, Ivan Howard still entertained the crowd with his southern charm and sprawling about his guitar neck with mulitple percussion instruments. New numbers like "Hold On To This Coat" and "Furies" the song were performed with a more raw and rocked approach as if someone's nerves had been severed and it was before that state of shock set in. The older songs never sounded tighter with "Waiting For The Carnival" being performed better than ever before.

The true highlight of the evening was after the chaos of "Furies," when Kelly and Ivan did a slowed up version of "Wildcat" before Kelly helped Ivan down to the front of the room where I stood and they did their campfire rendition of "Shake Our Tree," with everyone singing along and clapping hands. They then wrapped it up with "I'd Better Run," featuring Kelly on a Barbie toy piano, easily the best song on Furies. More high fives were passed around, as Kelly made mention to me (something along the lines of) how whenever I'm at their shows, I'm up in the front and sing along to all the songs. I'm just a fan. Note to Kelly - sing more songs on the next album as well. You've got a voice.

The Rosebuds Set List:
Silja Line / Hold On to This Coat / Cemetery Lawn / Hold Hands And Fight / Back To Boston / I'd Feel Better / Silence By The Lakeside / Blue Bird / When The Lights Went Dim / Leaves Do Fall / Kicks In The Schoolyard / Get Up Get Out / Waiting For The Carnival / Boxcar / Night Of The Furies // Wildcat / Shake Our Tree / I'd Better Run

Posted by Rusty | May 29, 2007 1:40 PM