Posted in music on June 19, 2007

TexasArctic Monkeys are playing the same time as Muse. Same with My Morning Jacket & Wilco, and Arcade Fire & The White Stripes. Do they do that on purpose for crowd control? I'm almost definitely going down to Austin this year (September 14-16), and those are biggest conflicts I noticed right off the bat. Who else should I make sure to see?

The 2007 Lollapalooza (August 3-5) schedule is up too. Who's going to Chicago?

Dude, Bjork's playing ACL and she only conflicts with The Killers, so that's pretty much a non-issue.

I can't make that weekend so I'll be at Lollapalooza and am way jealous of the ACL lineup.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 11:27 AM

yeah, I'll definitely be at Bjork. I just noticed MIA and LCD Soundsystem are at the same exact time too.

Posted by brooklynvegan | June 19, 2007 11:37 AM

chicago bound -- few schedule battles -- not that many - sunday is the worst decisions -- they packed it way too tight --

Fri -
Fratellis v. Elvis Perkins

- why put LCD on a different stage than Daft Punk? why not have one play into the other? perfect pairing --

Sat -
Roots v. CYHSY
(why not give Roots a set time that is close to Winehouse and Lupe? again, would've been a sweet flow)

Satnight - MUSE and Interpol as prime time sets? why does Interpol get this spot over Modest Mouse/TVOTR/Iggy/MMJ? too bad --

Sun - hardest decisions --
Amy Winehouse v. Lupe
Kings of Leon v. Iggy
MMJ v. Modest Mouse

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 11:43 AM

I'll be at Lollapalooza...I also got tickets to the Mets/Cubs game early Friday (BOO-YA!!)...looking forward to the best weekend ever.

Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Kings of Leon, LCD Soundsystem, Black Keys, TVOTR, My Morning Jacket, LCD Soundsystem, The Roots, Daft Punk, Cold War Kids, The Rapture, !!!, Stooges...so many others!!

Oh, and Pearl Jam.

That's a tough bill to beat, although Wilco, Arcade Fire and White Stripes will be sorely missed.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | June 19, 2007 11:48 AM

I'm a die-hard KOL fan, so seeing them over Iggy is a no-brainer to me.

Roots over CYHSY is another no-brainer!! I've seen CYHSY three times (the last time being at Virgin Fest last year), and while I do enjoy them, seeing them outdoors is not nearly as sweet. The Roots absolutely crush it no matter where they play.

I must say that since the Webster Hall show, I'm looking forward to LCD more than any other band on the bill.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | June 19, 2007 12:04 PM

Heartless Bastards, Nicole Atkins & the Sea, Regina Spektor.

At least Yo La Tengo don't conflict... Can't wait!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 12:05 PM

I'm Chicago bound as well. It would've been really nice to see a 1-2 punch of LCD & Daft Punk on Friday night, but such is life. Based on the scheduling, those 2 stages should be relatively near each other, so hopefully I can at least hear, and maybe see LCD on the video monitors, as I try to push towards the front for Daft Punk.

Posted by Robert | June 19, 2007 12:26 PM

For the guy that had to choose between the Roots and CYHSY, I can't say to have seen CYHSY, but I saw the Roots a few months ago, and I wasn't impressed. They've had a revolving door of keyboard players, and the current one basically smacked random keys with his fists and elbows for his solo in the show, and called it jazz. It is very likely they will spend the final thirty minutes of the show playing decent covers of songs that were only decent to begin with, such as "Jungle Boogie." I felt like I wasted my money going to their concert.

Posted by matt | June 19, 2007 12:32 PM

Matt, you're out of your mind. You talkin bout the Nokia show?!? Shit was insane!!

Regardless, the choice between the Roots and CYHSY is laughable.

Posted by anonymous | June 19, 2007 12:37 PM

coachella/bonnaroo >>>> lolla/acl

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 12:42 PM

I am off to Chicago too.... What is up with scheduling at the US festivals! I think it is time to do some cloning because I am so torn...

Posted by Amy | June 19, 2007 12:43 PM

1. Fratellis v. Elvis Perkins --> FRATELLIS

2. Roots v. CYHSY --> THE ROOTS

3. Muse vs. Interpol --> MUSE

4. Amy Winehouse v. Lupe --> AMY WINEHOUSE

5. Kings of Leon v. Iggy --> KOL

6. MMJ v. Modest Mouse --> MODEST MOUSE

7. Arcade Fire vs. White Stripes --> WHITE STRIPES

8. Muse vs. Arctic Monkeys --> ARCTIC MONKEYS

9. MMJ vs. Wilco --> WILCO

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 1:48 PM

"wow both of these schedules are poorly put together..nothing is staggered. im goin to ACL, but i am not looking forward to running from stage to stage this often.

coachella/bonnaroo >>>> lolla/acl"

Seriously?

I've never done Bonnaroo, but the Coachella schedule wasn't released until two days before the festival and they didn't send out the email saying it'd been released until one day before. There was complete overlap with all the headliners and on Saturday night, they even put bands on after the headliner. This was probably because all the stages didn't really get going until 2 PM. Also, the tents limited the number of people who could see at each of the three smaller stages.

Both the Lollapalooza and ACL schedules were released months before the festival, giving us plenty of time to plan (and bitch). They also give the headliners a minimum of 30 minutes without competition and all the stages are practically in full swing by noon. There's also more time between sets to get from stage to stage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 1:49 PM

nah man, i'm talking about a show elsewhere. one where my ticket was only ten dollars, second row, and still seemed pretty weak. i don't really care about CYHSY either, but the Roots didn't bring like I was hoping.

Posted by matt | June 19, 2007 1:56 PM

"Seriously?

I had a great time at Coachella, but if you're talking about organization, C3 Presents are tough to beat."

how did the headliners overlap? each headliner plays on its own day?

this years coachella schedule was brilliant, the only bands i wasnt able to see because of conflicts were Ratatat, Of Montreal, and Decemberists.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 2:03 PM

people choosing KOL over Iggy are INSANE!!!!! I am a big fan of both but to skip Iggy over KOL is retarted. I've seen em both this year and Iggy just blows KOL away...KOL have slowed down since the past 2 tours-the newer material isnt nearly as fast and powerful as the old stuff...still Great, but not Iggy. Iggy just has a psychedelic mindblowing power that is just hard to beat.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 2:09 PM

Not to mention Iggy Pop is IGGY POP, and Kings of Leon are....who?

Posted by someoneelse | June 19, 2007 2:11 PM

Speaking as someone who will be choosing KOL over Iggy, I'm doing so for 2 reasons: MMJ & Pearl Jam. I have no problems missing Iggy (who I've seen live this year) for a front row (or near) spot for those 2, especially considering MMJ is playing with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Posted by Robert | June 19, 2007 2:49 PM

I actually think Lollapalooza is going to work out OK as far as LCD Soundsystem and Daft Punk. There are four main stages, two north and two south of Buckingham Fountain. So, on one half of the park, the two stages aren't exactly close together, but you can be standing at one stage and still see/hear the other one, they're just never going at the same time. I think that on one stage will be LCD, and then immediately after his set will be Daft Punk on the other stage, both on the same side of the festival.

Posted by Brandon | June 19, 2007 3:12 PM

going to chicago too...

Dont worry about LCD not being on the same stage as Daft Punk. They are actually on stages right across from each other, so as LCD ends, DP starts right up. Dont worry, you wont miss a bit of either...

and MMJ is playing with the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra

Posted by Knarf | June 19, 2007 3:13 PM

My mistake on that. Even so, MMJ with any orchestra should be tremendous.

Posted by Robert | June 19, 2007 3:24 PM

hey asshat, the roots have had the same keyboard player since 94 (kamal).

Posted by james poyser | June 19, 2007 3:28 PM

how is anyone not going to choose My Morning Jacket?!?!?!

they are so ridiculous live.

actually, seeing as how it's a festival they won't be playing for their near 2.5/3 hours but still, it's so obvious.

Posted by M | June 19, 2007 3:45 PM

"how did the headliners overlap? each headliner plays on its own day?"

Sorry, I didn't mean they overlapped each other. I meant there were other bands playing the entire time the headliners did, which kind of defeats the purpose of being a headliner, doesn't it? At ACL and Lolla, the headliners get at least 30 minutes all to themselves, without having to compete for the audience.

That also benefits the audience since they don't have to choose between the headliner and a smaller band they may really like and because the mood of the headliner's set isn't broken by music overheard from the other stages.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 3:47 PM

They haven't released any info for the after shows in Austin that weekend, which usually means you can catch one of your conflicts later in the evening. But there seem to be a lot more this year than in the last three. QOTSA/Spoon?! Don't miss Ghostland.

Posted by j | June 19, 2007 4:07 PM

Saw MMJ w/ the Boston Symphony Orchestra last summer and it was phenomenal. The suit who heckled the BSO during their opening revue - not so much. MMJ fans better behaved than a BSO season ticket holder? Priceless.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2007 4:13 PM

all these overlapping shows are lame. and the venue stinks. and the sound is terrible. and its gonna be too hot. and they wont let me bring in bottled water. and I can't wait to go.

Posted by mattz | June 19, 2007 5:18 PM

LCD and Daft Punk are indeed back to back. The stages are opposite each other in the same big field. Once LCD stops, Daft Punk will start on the other end of the field. Last year, Lolla did a great job keeping on schedule and segwaying from one stage to the next. HOLLA

Posted by tweaker | June 19, 2007 6:09 PM

the venue is sick, what are you talking about mattz?

Posted by tweaker | June 19, 2007 6:10 PM

Living in Chicago, I'll be at Lolla. To be totally honest, I'm somewhat more excited for Pitchfork at this point, but it could be because it's a couple weeks sooner.

Anyway, here is what I thought upon initially seeing the schedule: http://fightingtheyouth.blogspot.com/2007/06/unyielding-commissioning-cant-quite-win.html
Still doing some research and I'm sure I'll change my mind a bunch...

For anyone going to Lolla, remember that going from one end of the festival to the other takes a long time. It's about a mile walk through crowds of people. If they do things like last year, AT+T and Myspace are on opposite corners of the same field, with Bud Light and Adidas on opposite corners of the field at the other end (a mile away). So if you want to see two acts back to back that are on opposite ends, you are going to have to either cut one short or arrive at the other one early. Bring water...

Posted by Reed | June 20, 2007 9:39 AM

the roots are the best live hip hop act around --

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2007 9:52 AM

the roots are the best live act around.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2007 10:00 AM