Posted in music | pictures on June 26, 2007

I ended up on the boat twice in a few days - Friday was The Weakerthans, and then last night (Monday June 25, 2007) was Bad Brains...

Bad Brains on a boat

Their Beastie Boys-produced new album is out today (the same day as the Beastie Boys own album). You can stream it at their MySpace or at AOL. More below....

(Crazy?) H.R. tried preaching peace and love (and no moshing) to the crowd. At one point he said "the boxing ring is over there", which he them followed with the less clear "the black hole is over there" and "the bottomless pit is over there". It didn't matter. The boat was going nuts.....

Bad Brains on a boat

With some fast action and team work, the falling ceiling ended up being no big deal...

Bad Brains on a boat

Darryl Jenifer forgot to specify ceiling height in his rider...

Dr. Know
Bad Brains on a boat

H.R. also pulled a few flaky moves like not singing during a couple of songs, but all in all it was a tight set mixing most of their classic hardcore and reggae tracks with some new stuff - I don't think anyone had any complaints. It was much better than that first night at CBGB for sure.

The day before they played the School of Rock Festival in NJ. A bunch of people on the boat said they were tight at that as well.

John Joseph and Mackie from Cro Mags, Carl Porcaro from Killing Time/Raw Deal, and Brendan from SFA and CBGB fame were spotted in the crowd.

Previously
* BAD BRAINS - album stream, MP3 & free boat tix to WIN
* more Bad Brains stuff

I posted a comment/ review on the earlier Bad Brains feature. Just wanted to thank Daryll,Doc,Earl, HR and everyone who came out and showed love. Electrifying, bomb ass show. good vibes. HR was amazing and the rest of the band got right down to the business of putting on the best show ever!-Brooke

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 6:44 PM

i photographed this for pitchfork and my photos are up here:

thought teh band sounded great but if you weren't right up against the barricade, you had no shot of seeing the band. considering it was a $35 ticket from what i hear, i thought that was kind of lame.

BV:
was that you on the left side with two cameras (one a nikon d200 i think) by the guy in the wheelchair?

Posted by jason | June 26, 2007 8:13 PM

i wish they played that norwegian cruise line i went on with my folks to the carribean.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 8:34 PM

Sick Show last night!!!
They seriously brought it!!!
Anyone else photograph the show????
I saw the pics here and on pitchfork, and am dying for more!!!

Posted by Q | June 26, 2007 8:46 PM

This has nothing to do with Bad Brains, although I love them...

Apparently there is a presale for The Cure's MSG show starting tomorrow at 10 am...you know anything about a password or something for that? I really want to be on the floor for the show, so I don't want those tickets to be sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 9:59 PM

hey Q:

i took more photos but can't put them up for a couple of days. i'll post them in this thread when i do.

Posted by jason | June 26, 2007 11:41 PM

Highlights:

- HR pulling a flashlight out of his pocket and going to shine it on his face. After it doesn't work he simply says "no batteries."

- HR talking about Michael Jackson, which lead to him saying "but you loved bubbles" or something to that effect. The crowd reacted as if he was speaking of the more famous "bubbles" but it was probably in reference to MJ's monkey 'Bubbles.'

- Spoiler's LP being signed to his "authentic" name, and ending with "wish you were here."

- Meeting Dr. Know & Darryl Jennifer.

- HR having a weird briefcase he carried around all night.

All in all, an incredible experience. Felt like seeing them in a basement from where we stood.

Posted by BAKER STREET 2007 | June 27, 2007 2:57 AM

holy shit. holy shit. holy shit. the heaviest i've heard them. roughest crowd i've ever seen them with. re-ignition on the hudson river was the most intense/strange point of the night. people went off for the new stuff (plays well live). soulcraft! soulcraft! soulcraft!

classics on the setlist
at the movies
re-ignition
+6 reggae songs
+4 new songs
encore: pay to cum

Posted by UncleCornyReturns | June 27, 2007 2:58 AM

i hate myself for not buying tickets. harley was probably there too hiding out somewhere, he shows up at shows in the city a lot still (he had Ian sign his Evens LP when they played NYU a few months ago......one of the strangest things I've ever witnessed since Ian didn't seem to know who he was.)

Posted by RKB | June 27, 2007 9:43 AM

set list (except the song they came out to do an encore for, can't remember what it was)

Intro
FVK
Knatty Dread pon Mtn
At the Movies
Re-Ignition
Pay to Cum

Posted by jason | June 27, 2007 10:14 AM

I saw them at Sasquatch last month and the show sounds very similar, with the band playing great and HR being weird. Nevertheless, it was a great experience, though I wish I could've been on that boat! Anyway here's my review of their set (and others) at Sasquatch:

Posted by Matt Berlyant | June 27, 2007 10:41 AM

They ended the set with Re-Ignition and came back for the encore to play Pay To Cum...I think.

Posted by brassbonanza | June 27, 2007 11:00 AM

"harley was probably there too hiding out somewhere, he shows up at shows in the city a lot still (he had Ian sign his Evens LP when they played NYU a few months ago......one of the strangest things I've ever witnessed since Ian didn't seem to know who he was.)"

Harley wasn't at The Bad Brains the other night. His Aunt Denise and Nick both from (Harley's Punk band) The Stimulators were there with me the whole night.

Harley and Ian have been friends for well over 25 years, I pretty sure Ian knows who he is. He even did an interview for Harley's Hardcore Hall Of Fame site. Is it possible you have someone else confused with Harley?

Posted by Tommy DOG | June 27, 2007 11:55 AM

any homophobia?

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 1:44 PM

Awesome show, my 4th time seeing Bad Brains, although the ceiling started falling on my head, as you can see me holding it in the one picture, the show was awesome. even better it was on a friggan boat

Posted by Anthony | June 27, 2007 9:36 PM

The Bad Brains are dead. At some point, these Hardcore bands have to know when to throw in the towel. You're not young or angst-ridden anymore. You're just musicians playing covers of what you used to be. Give up.

Posted by Nick Goldman | July 1, 2007 4:15 PM

you my friend, have a taste of I-like-the-old-stuff-better-itis. Kick ass show, gotta see them again.

Posted by terry | July 2, 2007 2:38 PM

yeah really, see it as an evolution-bad brains is a way of life for the band. the real fans accept the changes and respect the bad brains as pioneers and musicians. it's what they do!! why should any artist stop what they do??!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 9:29 PM

Listen, HR doesn't want us to dance to the hardcore music and he specifically makes jokes of the songs..like putting his hands to his face as if to take a nap. He said "the boxing ring is over there" and the "bottomless pit" is over there like we dance too hard or are anti-peace because we like hardcore punk. At one point he even said we were his holy family...then followed that up by saying he was the HOLIEST! Ha that's fun, he also said Daryl blows bubbles. not micheal jackson. Meaning he called Daryl a fag, cause he hates fags just like he doesn't like to sing the songs or see us mosh. Here's the deal I love bad brains and i bought the new album which he doesn't sing on and still love it. Just don't act like this shit ain't happening. He should say he doesn't want to see any hostile movements and i'll stand still as long as he fucking sings!
FVK was the best way to here the old shit though. I wish they would do an album.

Posted by kevin | July 9, 2007 12:20 AM

theres a Daryll Jenifer interview for all you people(young idiots,and there are too many) that just don't seem to get what the band is about. or how the band evolves. also cleared up is the homophobia thing which people can't seem to drop. maybe after you read it some of you will realize that life is a journey that even you will change during. the world will change, peoples views will change.

Posted by brooke | August 29, 2007 9:33 AM

interview is at Ultimate Guitar

Posted by brooke | August 29, 2007 9:37 AM

Posted by Buy Domain Names | October 8, 2009 6:00 AM

The concert was fun and going crazy.

a href="http://www.home-business-info-onlnine.com">Home Business

Posted by Cheng | December 10, 2009 3:12 AM

he boxing ring is over there and the "bottomless pit" is over there like we dance too hard or are anti-peace because we like hardcore punk. At one point he even said we were his holy family...then followed that up by saying he was the HOLIEST! Ha that's fun, he also said Daryl blows bubbles.

Posted by emo girl | December 13, 2009 2:27 AM