Posted in music | tour dates on June 21, 2007

Grand NationalDoes anyone actually like Grand National?

They're from the UK, and their upcoming tour dates (including 2 NYC shows today) are at the Apple store, sponsored by NME and KCRW, at the Living Room, at the SOHO House, and at Joe's Pub - so I thought I'd ask at least.

Grand National - 2007 Tour Dates
Jun 21 - The Apple Store- acoustic New York City SOHO
Jun 21 - The Annex - Club NME New Yor City New York City
Jun 22 - Beatrice Inn - Dj set ! New York City, New York
Jun 24 - Rose Live Music - acoustic - presented by KCRW Williamsburg
Jun 25 - The Living Room- acoustic - presented by KCRW New York City
Jun 26 - Soho House ( Members only) acoustic NYC
Jun 26 - Joes Pub - acoustic - Presented by KCRW New York City
Jun 29 - Live on Radio Nova /Les Nuits Zébrées - PARIS Paris

despite the name, not as good as THE National.

Posted by whatlofi | June 21, 2007 5:16 PM

Bad, bad, very bad. I saw them once opening beofre The Presets and Hot Chip. Really bad to me.

Posted by Eduardo | June 21, 2007 5:25 PM

I like them! They're quite catchy! Thanks for the show infos, I had sort of forgotten about them since the album was out a year ago.

Posted by megg | June 21, 2007 5:26 PM

You can't compare them to The National....not even on the same wavelength.

But never having seen Grand National live I can't say dislike....its mostly short repeating lyrics....but I agree some of the songs are catchy.

Posted by hope | June 21, 2007 5:57 PM

I actually love Grand National and was quite bummed I couldn't see them tonight because of subway problems. Will try to get to Living Room show Monday; although I can't imagine what an acoustic Grand National set would sound like.

Posted by birdboy | June 21, 2007 6:31 PM

Somebody please report back to us how the Apple Soho show is/was

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2007 6:38 PM

Their last album was solid. Talk Amongst Yourselves and Cherry Tree were highlights.

Posted by dave | June 21, 2007 8:07 PM

not sure why they would do so many shows acoustic.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2007 8:14 PM

grand national are mundane and boring live but musicsnob loves them. not a true snob, i guess

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2007 11:59 PM

Ok, I remember liking their song a bit on my computer but when I saw them live they were very boring. ZZZZzzzz

Posted by Eduardo | June 22, 2007 12:34 AM

on record, they can actually be pretty good.

live, they are some of the biggest cheeseballs on the planet. embarrassing. the kind of guys who still think ibiza is cool.

Posted by bill p | June 22, 2007 1:06 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2007 10:31 PM

They might. We are only asserting that Grand National is corny live.

Posted by Eduardo | June 23, 2007 3:21 AM

saw them at the annex the other night doing an acoustic set and was impressed.. they threw in a cover of "old man" by neil young too. overall it was nowhere near as borderline cheesy as their full band show can be. new album is solid.. they are doing joe's pub on the 26th too.

Posted by Smokey | June 23, 2007 1:44 PM

"way to set the tone, brooklyn vegan. so apparently, fujiya & miyagi are cool, but grand national are corny? they make similar music."

in my experience there is good corny and bad corny. F & M are definitely good corny.

From the clear consensus here I think I am going to skip the Grand National shows. Thanks all for your candid and helpful remarks. Sure beats the "Grand National sucks!" genre of comments...

Posted by birdboy | June 25, 2007 11:30 AM

birdboy sucks!

Posted by the makers of comments in the "Grand National sucks!" genre of comments | June 25, 2007 12:11 PM