Posted in music on June 20, 2007

MC Hammer has a blog?

Hammer Time

@ Wingate Field, Brooklyn, NYC in 2007 - FREE
July 9 - MC Hammer, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick & MC Lyte (Old School Night)
July 16 - Fred Hammond (Gospel Night)
July 23 - Boyz II Men & Ruben Studdard (an evening of Smooth Grooves)
July 30 - The Mighty Sparrow (Carribbean Night)
Aug 06 - Lauryn Hill
Aug 13 - mystery night
Aug 20 - The O'Jays & The Spinners (Classic Soul Night)

THIS IS the 2007 season of the Martin Luther King Jr. free concert series.

haha - bv is on a roll with the pics today!

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2007 12:27 PM

Sweet! Psyched to see Lauryn Hill and get admonished for being white!

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2007 12:33 PM

they totally shoulda had an East Coast Family night with Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD, and those whit dudes who never made it, SUDDEN IMPACT!!

Posted by thigh master | June 20, 2007 1:33 PM

Hey Anon 12:33: Blacks get admonished for being black all the time. take it like a man.

Posted by Janice | June 20, 2007 10:00 PM

i have met lauryn several times, her babysitter was white all that shit was lies man.... believe what you want. She is the nicest person in the world and when her new album drops alot of people are going to stop rapping, cause they will realize they really arent real musicians or lyricists.

Posted by brian | June 23, 2007 3:26 AM

I might go, but I heard the neighborhood is pretty rough

Posted by jesse | June 23, 2007 8:24 PM

I was wondering about this concert. I'm not too worried about the neighborhood cuz it's on a monday at 730. And it's 2 blocks from the subway. Is it indeed rough, for those who know?

also, how early do you have to get there? i read BV's post on the same free series last year and people had some trouble getting into LL's show.

Thanks.

Posted by questioner | June 26, 2007 12:08 PM

I went to almost all the concerts last year with my sister n her fiancee and we had such an awesome time and the vibe was soo good.. And security is soo tight there with police officers and park security... there's no real reason to feel any endangerment.. Trust me.. Its a great lineup this year so I'm definitely going.. I live in the bronx and I hate brooklyn but ill only go for these concerts!

Posted by Ellen | June 29, 2007 10:43 AM

Posted by Ellen | June 29, 2007 10:45 AM

this area is not bad at all you will have no problems what so ever

Posted by Anonymous | July 4, 2007 6:29 PM

what time is best to get there?

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2007 1:15 PM

I met one of those suddden impact guys his name was Craig Queyrel and he told me they recorded only two songs and where droped from the lable becuse of the "boy band" thing was over. He was my insurance agent a few years back.

Posted by steve j | July 9, 2007 5:28 AM

hey Janice, I'd sure like to play the race card sometime... what's it like? Probably easier than playing the responsibility card, eh?

Posted by sniper | July 9, 2007 6:03 PM

if you're a hipster don't go, you'll get shot.

Posted by brooklyn boy | July 10, 2007 3:29 PM

What a dick thing to say. I'm sure that person who asked about the neighborhood was not being judgemental or scared of black people. Sometimes people genuinely want to know if a neighborhood is safe, and even though they probably wouldn't put a free concert in a dangerous neighborhood, people do get killed all the time in NYC.

That's the overreacting type of shit that makes people hate New Yorkers who feel at once proud to be living here and hate people who aren't 100% knowledgable of the entire city and the areas of ALL its boroughs. Give him/her a break.

Posted by brooklyn boyziimen | July 22, 2007 5:50 PM

was it cancelled? tonights concert?

Posted by ME | July 23, 2007 6:32 PM

The neighborhood is not for the squeamish and the typical hipster from the Midwest might find it a bit intimidating...

BUT...

These shows are incredibly well promoted, and fun. It's rare to see R&B and Hip Hop shows actually in the communities they came from, so these get huge crowds.

It's very close to the train, and the security will be out in force. The bourough president and other city officials will be actively involved in the shows, usually hosting. These are some of the coolest events in Brooklyn, honestly. You probably won't be the only person who reads this site to go to this either.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 7:10 PM

Did the concert happen last night, or was it rained out? Is it going to go down tonight instead?

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 9:47 AM

i went last night. it was amazing. very friendly vibe, great security. the clouds parted, and even though it was delayed because they weren't sure if the concert was happening, when it finally happened, it was beautiful. Ruben was a great singer, though I don't know his songs. And Boyz II Men pretty much sang every song I wanted to hear plus some new, not as good songs.

they said they thought about doing it on Tuesday as a rain date, but decided to just do it on Monday.

Posted by awesome | July 24, 2007 10:47 AM

"I might go, but I heard the neighborhood is pretty rough"
WTF???
To all of you who think the neighborhood is rough, Im going to let you know right now what its bout!! I've lived in this area all my life, its not a bad neighborhood, you just find a few idiots; like you would in any other area, who have to be retards! I love my neighborhood!PLUS I went to Wingate HS! Dont believe the hype!!! I went to the Boyz 2 men concert last night and it was wonderful, come out and enjoy the show, if you dont come with foolishness, then it wont come to you...
Its for everyone, if the area was so rough they would of shut the whole summer concert series down long time! Get real, dont throw dirt on or side Homey!!...
Sincerly, 11203

Posted by Sonj. | July 24, 2007 3:59 PM

For the person who asked whats the best time to get there, I would say about 7 or so. Its usually packed if its a big name so you should come even earlier and get a good seat... If you dont like waitin for it to start, you should come a little later, by then everything has started, and you would probably be able to sneak your way into the front, or atleast get a good viewing spot from the beachers... lol =0) Come on out everyone... The area is great, tight security, police, all the works, cant be that bad if they still have it goin, with no talks of shut'n it down!...
-11203 (Lol)

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 4:07 PM

Is there an RSVP list for the Lauryn Hill show and if so where can I find it?

Posted by Adam R. | July 27, 2007 9:49 AM

No, you just show up, early enough to get a seat. i would say for the 730 shows, get there latest by 645.

Posted by In the know | August 1, 2007 10:40 AM

What train stops by there?

Posted by Maui Wowie | August 3, 2007 9:56 AM

The Lauryn Hill concert has mysteriously disappeared from the series' web site. Also, the dates for the other shows look like they're off a day (the shows are supposed to be on Mondays but all of those dates for the MLK series are Tuesdays). Anyone know what's going on?

Posted by cheryl | August 5, 2007 8:18 PM

Sorry, i think I was looking at an old site. This one makes more sense:

Posted by cheryl | August 6, 2007 12:31 AM

Please sumit my name on your mailing list for upcoming events.

Donna wilcox