Posted in Contests | music | tour dates on June 27, 2007

Dad, what the hell?
Nile Marr

Kid 4077 - otherwise known as Nile Marr, the 15-year-old son of Smiths legend Johnny Marr - took to the stage at Bar Amp in Sale for his first live solo performance. Meanwhile his dad's latest band Modest Mouse - who performed at Manchester's Ritz earlier this week - were performing in Barcelona.

Modest teenager Nile has said he is influenced more by Modest Mouse than by The Smiths because they were before his time. [Manchester Evening News - June 2, 2007]

I have bad news for those hoping to see Modest Mouse & Clipse on August 8th. Better yet - I have bad news for those who didn't get tickets to see Beastie Boys at Summerstage because they thought they were seeing Modest Mouse with Band of Horses in Keyspan Park. The August 8th show has been postponed exactly one month, and moved: Modest Mouse is now playing McCarren Pool on September 8th. Love as Laughter are still opening, but Band of Horses and Clipse are up in the air.

Now Band of Horses' only upcoming NYC date is the Hiro Ballroom thing (where Ryan Adams played last night).

Muse is still playing MSG on August 6th. Want to win a pair of tickets? E-mail BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: MUSE), and tell me if I should finish posting Andrew's Bonnaroo coverage now that Bonnaroo was so long ago. One winner will be picked at ramdom, and contacted, on Monday July 2nd, 2007. Your email will not be shared with anyone.

Do you think Isaac Brock drinks Brooklyn beer?

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 7:06 AM

bad news for people who hate bad news.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 9:32 AM

"Modest teenager Nile has said he is influenced more by Modest Mouse than by The Smiths because they were before his time."

Holy shit do I feel old!

Posted by oldman | June 27, 2007 9:47 AM

hi BV! So are tickets available for modest mouse at McCarren & if so, what site can you purchase them on?

Posted by starslight | June 27, 2007 10:06 AM

let's get serious here, Clipse should not be on this bill at all.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 10:21 AM

your banner is still advertising the wrong show.

Posted by josef | June 27, 2007 10:28 AM

I did think Keyspan was pretty big step for Modest Mouse, considering the two United Palace shows in April didnt sell out until very close to the dates....

Posted by TG | June 27, 2007 10:36 AM

im assuming that a refund will be given for keyspan and new batch of cheaper tickets for the pool?? i sure hope so..

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 10:44 AM

well thats good that I don't have to choose between this show and the Beastie's show at Summerstage. Does anyone know what the deal is with the tickets? Do we have to buy new ones? Do the old ones get you in? I just hope Band of Horses are still on the bill.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 10:44 AM

they shoot band of horses, dont they?

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 11:12 AM

As previously discussed...how did Clipse manage to categorize themselves as Indie Rock?

Posted by Still Lost | June 27, 2007 11:31 AM

hey BV, do you know why the show's been postponed?

Posted by anonymous | June 27, 2007 11:35 AM

clipse didnt categorize themselves.. pitchfork did.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 11:36 AM

i am going crazy looking through all nyc,nj,pa music blogs.does anyone know where there is one spot online where you can get live show only info and updates,listings,etc... i love all the info on the blogs but that drives me crazy.

too bad band of horses is only here for a quick second then they are out of town

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 11:39 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 11:39 AM

I don't much care about Muse tickets, but I do think you should post Andrew's coverage!

Posted by Nathan | June 27, 2007 12:44 PM

show got moved cause tickets didnt sell. do the math. pool will be much better. should have been there in the first place. what were they thinkin???

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 1:26 PM

the official word:

MODEST MOUSE
NEW DATE & VENUE!
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 8
MCCARREN POOL
MCCARREN PARK / BROOKLYN, NY

WITH SPECIAL GUESTS
LOVE AS LAUGHTER
6 PM
TICKETS $40 / ALL GA

The Modest Mouse show scheduled for August 8 at Keyspan Park is moving to Saturday September 8 at McCarren Pool. All tickets purchased for the Keyspan Park show will be honored at McCarren Pool.
Refunds are available until August 7.

Tickets on sale on Thursday June 28 @ noon. Tickets can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com, by calling 212-307-7171 or at the Mercury Lounge box office. Artists & times are subject to change and ticket prices subject to service fees.

Posted by brooklynvegan | June 27, 2007 2:37 PM

where do you return tix? i have tix in hand but paid by credit card. i've never had to return them before.

Posted by Nate | June 27, 2007 2:46 PM

So it ia possible that this will be the final show at MCCarren Pool.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 2:56 PM

the mercury lounge sells tickets to the ticketmaster shows now too?

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 4:22 PM

I saw a Band of Horseshit. It was on the sidewall. It reeked. Flies were on it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 5:26 PM

mercury lounge sells tickets to the bowery presents shows, doesnt matter if its ticketweb/master. ticketmaster owns ticketweb, so there should really be no surprise anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2007 7:53 AM

$40? You don't even get a feckin chair? indie dorks are stupider than I thought!

Posted by jim | June 28, 2007 9:36 AM

OT somewhat but i was at the pool psrties site and they were talking about how u have to RSVP...is this true?..

Posted by OT | June 28, 2007 9:39 AM

Posted by jim | June 28, 2007 9:39 AM

tickets are on sale for the pool show.. comes out to like 42 buckaroos. and ticketmaster still lists clipse band of horses and love as laughter as the openers.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2007 1:47 PM

The Bowery ads said that tickets were moving fast so don't miss out. i guess that was a lie

Losing cred fast

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 8:37 AM

if you bought them online and want a refund, you should call up ticketmaster. the process involves making a photocopy of the tickets, writing void across them, and mailing them back to ticketmaster. the adress is a charleston, WV adress, and id hate to give the wrong one on here, but call and find out. also in order to get the refund, they have to receive the tickets before the event. which leaves plenty of time.

Posted by Stephen | June 29, 2007 12:35 PM

fyi...ticketmaster never offered to refund the $10 difference in ticket price...but I emailed and they're crediting my card.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2007 7:11 PM

tick tick tick.....the 15 minutes of fame for modest mouse are just about OVER. Whats the next move for these guys....book webster hall not be able to sell it out and move show to bowery ballroom?

tick tick tick.....over.

Posted by totalperspectivevortex | September 9, 2007 6:48 AM

Show was great. Crowd was actually pretty damn good. I was pleasently surprised. There was some wickedly aromatic pot smoke in the air and I mean wicked from in front of the stage right side.

Best bit - never waited in line for beer. There were no lines anywhere except for Mr. Softee and hot dogs. :-)

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2007 8:24 AM

isaac brock is the real andrew w.k.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2007 11:32 AM

isaac brock is a god, i was the guy on someones shoulders at the start of spitting venom

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2007 12:13 PM

totalperspectivevortex, did you just find out about indie music? MM have been popular for a decade, so stop being a dickhead and go back to listening to Jamie Cullum.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2007 2:24 PM

First of all, I really hope that all the people who live in the Brooklyn area and love music bought a ticket for this show, because it doesn't really get much better.

At $35 (pre-taxes and fees), these tickets were in the Radiohead-realm of pricing. I have seen Radiohead three times and never thought I would see another live band approach what they were able to do on stage.

It is time to declare that Modest Mouse is in the same stratosphere as Radiohead: one of the very best bands of our generation.

Isaac Brock was pretty clearly inebriated, but this did not affect his performance (minus a few flubbed lines). He was manic. He was commanding. He was in complete control of the crowd, if not his own body: at one point early on, he was moving backwards and tripped over the amp behind him, falling pretty hard. A little later on he quipped: “How you guys doin’? A lot better than me—you didn’t just fall over an amp…Damn, that thing is never there.”

During Tiny Cities Made of Ashes, Isaac started screaming “And the population is you!”, eventually ending by screaming into his guitar, grinding the strings across his face, and repeating “And the population is you” into the guitar, without a mic.

Isaac was pretty talkative, slurring most of his speech (but, then, he does seem to have a lisp, so it may be presumptuous of me to assume he was wasted). Having thrown of his own hat a few songs earlier, he requested that the audience throw their hats to him: “I want your hats!” Not one was thrown.

Isaac also made a comment to the fans in the middle of the pool, saying “I don’t usually do this, but these guys want us to play louder, but we all know it’s because the speakers are on the left [points] and right [points]. Good going getting here early and to the front guys!” I suppose that was kind of dick, but amusing to those of a bit further back where the sound was just fantastic.

It was a beautiful, wonderful night. The crowd was great. In some ways, it actually reminded me of a Grateful Dead or Phish show, in the best possible sense in which such a comparison could be made. I know that for many of you the mention of these jam bands and their fans is repellant, and that’s fine, I just hope that you can experience the genuine, ecstatic joy that so many people did on Saturday night. If you can, I can forgive any snide remarks you might make (I don't love Phish either). If not, I just feel sorry for you.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2007 10:00 AM

yes mm was on top of their game on sat although the setlist said doin cockroach as the first song of the encore.....but they never played it....overall an awesome show! i would love to see them play at bowery ballroom again....

Posted by agree with anon at 10AM | September 10, 2007 10:35 AM

setlist:

Invisible
bury me with it
dashboard
paper thin walls
fire it up
education
bukowski
tiny cities made of ashes
missed the boat
fly trapped in a jar
parting of the sensory
satin in a coffin
float on
the view

encore:
doin' the cockroach
broke
spitting venom

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2007 11:12 AM

a review from some fan-site:

I spent 15 hours on the road between ME and NY for this show, and first off... good Goddamn(!!!) do I HATE driving in NYC. What a nightmare. But it was worth every second of the drive, and THEN some. Last night's show absolutely mopped the floor with any and every MM show I've ever attended or heard, especially this year. I've never seen Isaac so manic onstage, in person or video. He was all over the place the whole show, flailing his guitar around like an absolute madman. Very early in the show, during Paper Thin Walls, he took a couple of steps backwards not realizing his amp was there, and flipped head over heals, landing hard on his back... and it looked like he cracked his head on the floor pretty good too; but his guitar landed on his chest and he kept playing while lying on his back for a few moments before hopping back up. He joked about his clumsiness afterward, and continued. The whole band was on fire all night... the jam during Tiny Cities was the most intense I've ever heard, with an all-new-to-me "Population's You" rant at the end that had Isaac violently grabbing both mic stands, holding them out with both arms and leaning heavily into them out over the stage screaming the vocals at the top of his lungs at the audience, mic-less. I've never heard his vocals so clearly through his pickups before, either. He also poked fun at Float On, calling it the Kidz Bop song and urging parents in the audience to teach their kids about safe sex... "This one's for the kids!", as well as being very highly amused at the fact that the entire audience was in a giant empty pool, commenting on the fact a few times. Other highlights:

Parting of the Sensory!! I was wondering how they'd pull this off live. Jeremiah and Joe filled in the climax of the song admirably with an onslaught of corporal punishment to the drums!

Spitting Venom was jammed out fabulously, with not only the Came as a Rat tease, but also the all-new(to-me) repeating "Who needs Hell when we've got ourselves?" line that wrapped up the song and the evening very nicely.

I've never seen the band (Isaac in particular) in this rare form before last night; it was an incredible spectacle to behold. If a recording of this show turns up, I may be the happiest person in the world. Security at the entrance was pretty much nonexistent, so I'm hopeful.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2007 2:38 PM